Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast Feeding in Public

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

billybudd wrote: »
    Ive never seen that happen in Ireland, in Africa yes and parts of south America its quite normal, but again who cares and why would it bother anyone? i think you are simplifying the reasons why sun bathing is harmless and exposure of both breasts when breast feeding is not and its somehow an attention seeking thing.

A reason to explain being topless while breastfeeding is that sometimes a mother has to alternate breasts if one she tries is not producing milk.

I honestly could be. I have no clue if I am. I'm trying to make my point as "I don't care if you breast feed in a restaurant or something", that's expected (to me). But going sun bathing is literally getting your top off and you're laying there.

To some (very, very insane people) it's the same thing. It would bother me if a woman in a restaurant decided to take her top off and put her boobs on display. (I'm very aware that there is a big, big difference between a man and woman taking their top off).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I honestly could be. I have no clue if I am. I'm trying to make my point as "I don't care if you breast feed in a restaurant or something", that's expected (to me). But going sun bathing is literally getting your top off and you're laying there.

To some (very, very insane people) it's the same thing. It would bother me if a woman in a restaurant decided to take her top off and put her boobs on display. (I'm very aware that there is a big, big difference between a man and woman taking their top off).

In fairness, that would bother me too.
    But...I dont think women do that...well none that Ive ever seen anyway.

Chucken wrote: »
    In fairness, that would bother me too.
    But...I dont think women do that...well none that Ive ever seen anyway.

Keep in mind I'm only in my 20s and never saw it, yet :P

But that was mostly my point (what you said). I don't really think that would happen that often. To me a mother than breast feeds in public was basically "I'm doing something private. Please don't stare". It's obvious what she's doing if she has a baby pressed against her breast. So unless the woman is really trying to get attention (which is wrong to me), then just leave her be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You don't have to be topless to feed babies. My wife is currently breastfeeding our twins and she does both at the same time (rugby hold). The maternity bras have a little boob window at the front. She just lifts her top a bit and opens the shops up. You can't see the majority of her boobs even though she's doing two at once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I'm breastfeeding for the first time, baby is 5 weeks old. I hate when people say its ok as long as you're discreet about it. I mean of course I'm going to be discreet but for my own sake not anyone else's.
    So far I've been surprised (not offended) at people offering to leave the room, or asking me if I want to use another room in their house for feeding. I think there's a genuine lack of understanding from the general public about breastfeeding, I've noticed men and women getting a bit panicky when I say I'm going to feed, but I'm not blaming them, they just haven't encountered it much before. I try to normalise the situation as much as I can and not make a big deal out of it.
    Expecting mothers to go sit in a quiet corner or leave the room just adds to the lack of acceptance and unfamiliarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

once you're not parading around with your boobs on display in a public place, then I don't care. .

Huh? That would be bad why exactly?

MadsL wrote: »
    Huh? That would be bad why exactly?

Same reason I don't parade with my penis on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

I tried breast feeding my son in public. You wouldn't believe the looks I got. All I wanted was some father-son time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

better faster, stronger longer. I dunno what would people say if there was a child from the third world in Ireland and really needed protein. Would I jack off in public? What would people say?

Although womens boobs get bigger when pregnant and I love boobs so all I got to say is

Geeeeet your boobs out
    Geeeeeeet your boobs out
    get yor boobs out for the lads

Bottom of the story is, I like boobs and if I could stare at them in public then Boob feedin should definitly be allowed Here here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Same reason I don't parade with my penis on display.

Pfff. Traditionalist.

http://i.imgur.com/JKEvH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Real answer: who cares, if someone has a problem with it, we'll then it's their problem and its up to them to sort out why they feel like that.

AH answer: only women with nice boobs should be allowed do it in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There should be no issue with breast feeding in public yet I get asked to leave the club when I do it.

There should be no issue with breast feeding in public yet I get asked to leave the club when I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

areyawell wrote: »
    Although womens boobs get bigger when pregnant and I love boobs so all I got to say is

Geeeeet your boobs out
    Geeeeeeet your boobs out
    get yor boobs out for the lads

Bottom of the story is, I like boobs and if I could stare at them in public then Boob feedin should definitly be allowed Here here!
    Although said in jest (I hope), it's that sort of attitude that is as damaging as that from more prudish types. You're basically lending credence to the argument that women's breasts main use is in sexual gratification for "the lads"

Not so serious answer: They'll probably shrink and sag eventually after popping out and feeding a litter of sprogs, so show 'em off while you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Doesn't matter if someone doesn't like a woman breastfeeding in public. She is legally entitled to breastfeed in public; and if someone tries to stop her, she can take a discrimination case.

In any case, you generally see more boob in a pub on a Saturday night than when a woman feeds her baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

some kids are breastfeed up to the age of seven and beyond. supposedly a great way for women to burn calories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3miGo6D7s20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Fuinseog wrote: »
    some kids are breastfeed up to the age of seven and beyond. supposedly a great way for women to burn calories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3miGo6D7s20

Someone get me a baby.

I don't think I have ever seen a woman breastfeed in public or if they were I did not notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It genuinely perplexes me that people would have a problem with a mother feeding her child in the way nature intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Went for lunch with a friend and her baby a few months ago - she whipped out her boob fully first. Hope people saw it - and hope it annoyed them. Fair play to her for not giving a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

ElleEm wrote: »
    It genuinely perplexes me that people would have a problem with a mother feeding her child in the way nature intended!

Loads of things are natural though, doesn't mean people want to see it.

I've no issue with it. Most of the time you wouldn't even notice.

• Advertisement

Loads of things are natural though, doesn't mean people want to see it.
    That's what the judge told me at my public indecency hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I bolded the bit that my point was on about. I don't really care if a woman wants to go around breast feeding but if she does try to cover up, I'm happy. If she's basically trying to parade around with her chest on show because she can since she's feeding a baby that I'd get annoyed by.

You'd actually get annoyed by it? That seems a little OTT, why not just look away? How does it infringe on you really? Unless she sat on your lap while doing it?
    I think most of us might do an initial double take if we saw boobs out in public, as we're just not used to it, but then we'd just get on with or day. I don't like the caveat that a woman must do x, y and z to be discrete. Everyone has their own level of discrete. If you see someone breastfeeding who doesn't match up to your level, just don't look!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭seanhalpin

I do not think it is appropriate to breast feed in public. I remember I saw a wan doing it a while ago and you should have seen the look on her - she seemed to be one of the militant type and glared me down as if to say "go on, I dare you to say something." In hindsight I would have been tempted to draw her attention to the notice saying "Only food purchased on the premises may be consumed". I wonder how that would have went down.
    I would certainly find it unsettling to be around. It's not normal culture here. It's different in Mediterrainian cultures where IMO things are far too open. British Isles culture is more reserved and I don't think we shoudl be changing it.

I think it should be done in private for example in the baby changing areas or in the toilet. As far as I'm concerned breasts are sexual objects and it is not appropriate to be exposing them in a public place where there could be children. A woman exposing herself in pubic should be liable to indecent exposure charges just as a man would be if he whipped it out on the street and started beating away.

Besides all that, I think there is a mental block regarding breast feeding in Ireland anywy. Perhaps it's to do with catholic guilt and all that. I remember when my sister had a baby and my mother was saying that all the Polish women breast feed, my sister threw her nose up and said that they only breast feed because they are too mean to pay for baby food or formula.

troll banned

seanhalpin wrote: »
    I do not think it is appropriate to breast feed in public. I remember I saw a wan doing it a while ago and you should have seen the look on her - she seemed to be one of the militant type and glared me down as if to say "go on, I dare you to say something." In hindsight I would have been tempted to draw her attention to the notice saying "Only food purchased on the premises may be consumed". I wonder how that would have went down.
    I would certainly find it unsettling to be around. It's not normal culture here. It's different in Mediterrainian cultures where IMO things are far too open.

I think it should be done in private for example in the baby changing areas or in the toilet. As far as I'm concerned breasts are sexual objects and it is not appropriate to be exposing them in a public place where there could be children. A woman exposing herself in pubic should be liable to indecent exposure charges just as a man would be if he whipped it out on the street and started beating away.

Besides all that, I think there is a mental block regarding breast feeding in Ireland anywy. Perhaps it's to do with catholic guilt and all that. I remember when my sister had a baby and my mother was saying that all the Polish women breast feed, my sister threw her nose up and said that they only breast feed because they are too mean to pay for baby food or formula.

Yeah, definitely hiding it away is the solution to that problem :rolleyes:
    How about you eat your lunch in the toilets and baby gets to have theirs in the restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I would certainly find it unsettling to be around. It's not normal culture here. It's different in Mediterrainian cultures where IMO things are far too open. British Isles culture is more reserved and I don't think we shoudl be changing it.

Try harder 2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Most breastfeeders I have ever seen have been so discreet you would barely notice, its only since I breastfed myself that I notice it. I doubt anyone else does so chances are you have been in many a cafe with a breastfeeding mother and never even known.

Most of the time it just looks like a woman cuddling her baby.

Irish people really need to get over it. Breastfeeding is the best way to feed your child and its a lot easier to breastfeed directly rather than pump milk which can take forever. We have some of the lowest breastfeeding rates in Europe, we should be encouraging more not less.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Try harder 2/10

Damn, got totally sucked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

dearg lady wrote: »
    Damn, got totally sucked in.

Appropriate wording there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know you've been banned but for anyone else reading, it's worth pointing out that if you or someone else had done any such thing you would have been breaking the law and the management of the premises would have been legally obliged to censure you or ask you leave.

It is not only legal to breastfeed in public, it is illegal to do anything which may make the breastfeeding woman feel uncomfortable about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

I started breastfeeding my first child in 1996 and I remember thinking how weird it was back then that people felt that there was some sort of legitimate debate to be had about "breastfeeding in public".
    It's pathetic that we in this country still haven't moved on from our immature attitude to mothers feeding their babies and make them feel that they should move to a different room, or hide under a shawl, or beneath one of these ridiculous contraptions like this which surely just draw more attention to the whole thing rather than making it more discreet!

Advertisement