Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Both will be redundant if they don't involve Peter Parker. You might get away with Venom, but Sinister 6? You can't have a film solely made of villains, stupidity from Sony if that's the plan.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Both will be redundant if they don't involve Peter Parker. You might get away with Venom, but Sinister 6? You can't have a film solely made of villains, stupidity from Sony if that's the plan.

I presume it's separate spiderman movies involving them? Personally I think it would be a great idea to have a film thats completely from the villains' point of view, would be something different at least, the genre could do with a bit of experimentation/risk taking.

Venom could easily have his own film though, he's often been a semi kind of good guy in the comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Trailer with some new footage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume it's separate spiderman movies involving them? Personally I think it would be a great idea to have a film thats completely from the villains' point of view, would be something different at least, the genre could do with a bit of experimentation/risk taking.

Venom could easily have his own film though, he's often been a semi kind of good guy in the comics.

I agree, least it'd be different, and not yet another sequel involving a hero, a villain, them being sort of friends, falling out, becoming each other's nemesis, you know the standard Marvel setup. Least it'd give the villains something to do and might make for more rounded characters. I thought Chronicle did a good job of showing how a villain becomes one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Interest for this appears to be losing momentum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Interest for this appears to be losing momentum

Based on this thread? Or something else?

Its a week before christmas, people probably have other things on their minds. Its not being released for another 6 months and there is a lot of things happening before then.

My own personal interest for the aforementioned christmas lost momentum sometime back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

syklops wrote: »
    Based on this thread? Or something else?

Its a week before christmas, people probably have other things on their minds. Its not being released for another 6 months and there is a lot of things happening before then.

My own personal interest for the aforementioned christmas lost momentum sometime back.

Well reading a few other blogs and seeing opinions expressed elsewhere, it seems like the confirmation #2 was jumping into the 'multi-villain' territory has knocked the enthusiasm out of a lot of people. I wouldn't blame them, multi-villain superhero movies don't have a great history, so I guess people have tempered their expectations a little. As you say though, it is 6 months down the tracks though ...

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well reading a few other blogs and seeing opinions expressed elsewhere, it seems like the confirmation #2 was jumping into the 'multi-villain' territory has knocked the enthusiasm out of a lot of people. I wouldn't blame them, multi-villain superhero movies don't have a great history, so I guess people have tempered their expectations a little. As you say though, it is 6 months down the tracks though ...

I found the first one to be a bit under-hyped, and I went in not expecting a lot and I loved it. Maybe its not a lack of enthusiasm, but a lack of under-rating by the studio. Not a bad thing IMO.

Also there might be a touch of comic-book overdose at the minute. Especially with Agents of Sheild on every week acting as a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I know Spider-Man is a huge character in the universe but how popular is he now? I mean most of the other Marvel characters we have seen are grown men or women. Spider-Man is a teenager. No one really likes teenagers, especially mouthy ones with super powers.

I don't really think Spider-Man translates well to cinema or maybe he's for a younger audience and I'm a grumpy old man.

brevity wrote: »
    I know Spider-Man is a huge character in the universe but how popular is he now? I mean most of the other Marvel characters we have seen are grown men or women. Spider-Man is a teenager. No one really likes teenagers, especially mouthy ones with super powers.

I don't really think Spider-Man translates well to cinema or maybe he's for a younger audience and I'm a grumpy old man.

He's only still a teenager because he was late to the big screen and he has been rebooted once already.

As for being mouthy, I think you mean, no-one likes smug teenagers with super powers, and I totally agree, but when not wearing the mask he is anything but smug.

I identified with his character from as young as 6, and I still do. Iron Man/Tony Stark never appealed to me, but I have to admit, now that Im in my 30s, Tony's Billionaire playboy lifestyle does appeal to me.

I think Spidey on the big screen has huge potential, its just been fumbled so many times. The first spiderman movie(2003?) they totally screwed up the way he web-slinged(slung?). It looked naff and didnt get better through out the film. The green goblins mask was about 5 times larger than it should have been and looked cheap.

Spiderman 2 they got a lot of things right. Then the third one came out and look what happened.

Maybe you think its more for younger fans as well because the first outing mirrored the storyline from the animated series where he is with Mary Jane. TAS and TAS2 are following the original and in many ways much darker storyline with Gwen Stacey who Peter loves and you know what happens. TAS seems in many ways to be much slower burning than the previous outing. Slowly introducing Gwen and Oscorp, solidifying their relationship in TAS2, maybe introducing the Green Goblin in TAS3, and with the obvious outcome, leaving an angry and grieving Peter for a 4th darker movie. I said angry and grieving, not Emo, in case any writers are reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Enemies Unite" video released after the Superbowl ad last night. Runs long at 4 minutes, probably more like a summary of the movie than a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, that's a movie summary trailer. My expectations aren't that high for this so didn't mind watching but I'd say it pretty much spoils the entire movie. On the up side, it looks like it could be quite good. Electro looks to be a more interesting character than I originally thought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

"Enemies Unite" video released after the Superbowl ad last night. Runs long at 4 minutes, probably more like a summary of the movie than a trailer.

I thought it was a trailer and after 2 minutes I felt like I've seen the movie, so I stopped watching and won't look at another piece of footage until the film comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not one to leave anything to surprise in this, Mark Webb
    has revealed we'll also see Alistair Smythe.

I'm honestly wondering whats being left for the viewer in the theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Jamie Foxx's portrayal of pre-Electro in that trailer seems very over the top nerd-wanting-to-become-a-hero character to the point of cheesiness. Don't have much hope for this, bar Giamatti as Rhino, that could be good fun.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yup, that's a movie summary trailer. My expectations aren't that high for this so didn't mind watching but I'd say it pretty much spoils the entire movie. On the up side, it looks like it could be quite good. Electro looks to be a more interesting character than I originally thought.

Thanks for the heads up, wont be watching that.

Could we get posts referring to the movie summary spoilered?

That or I have to stop reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Corholio wrote: »
    Jamie Foxx's portrayal of pre-Electro in that trailer seems very over the top nerd-wanting-to-become-a-hero character to the point of cheesiness.

Reminded me of Jim Carrey in Batman Forever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Otacon wrote: »
    Reminded me of Jim Carrey in Batman Forever.

That was EXACTLY what I thought about when watching the Electro Genesis.

Hopefully he won't have all the campy lines Carey had as the Riddler! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Surely someone can piece together the movie by now and save us the cost of a cinema ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Looks like Sony are going to try and build the franchise into something similar to the Avengers, with standalone film each year
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/26/spider-man-new-movie-every-year-sony

will56 wrote: »
    Looks like Sony are going to try and build the franchise into something similar to the Avengers, with a related film each year
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/26/spider-man-new-movie-every-year-sony

This does not compute. Spider-man is from the same universe as the Avengers. He was even in the Avengers at one point. The avengers movie worked because you had a number of characters to work with. The, to me, boring Thor, the charismatic, Iron Man(RDJ), etc. Hulk on his own in a movie doesnt work too well unless you enjoy 2 hours of HULK SMASH, but in the Avengers Hulks character was executed perfectly.

tumblr_m4j7mdm2Ju1rwkbjqo1_500.gif

I love Spidey and way more can be done with his character, but I am unsure if a movie a year is the way to do it. I suspect a lot of them will be straight to video jobbies. Even if they go to the cinema first, they will be straight to video quality-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sony trying desperately to milk their big franchise after seeing how well the other standalone Marvel movies do methinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm guessing they're not planning a reboot any time soon then. I'm guessing that they'll have no reservations switiching cast members if necessary.
    Was the first Amazing Spiderman any good?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm guessing they're not planning a reboot any time soon then. I'm guessing that they'll have no reservations switiching cast members if necessary.
    Was the first Amazing Spiderman any good?

The performances were good, Garfield is a much better Parker than Maguire. The film however is fairly average, plenty of plot holes that young kids won't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Good trailer alright.

But a stand off with the goblin in a disused/rundown looking industrial building....that looks familiar alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

It probably has given away most of the best parts but colour me intrigued

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's still not clear who the Goblin is it? Like if it's Harry Osbourne why hide it?

That bit at the end has been altered as well, wasn't he originally throwing the man hole cover with his hands, now he's using his web. Looks good but the CGI still needs to be touched up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Harry is pretty much confirmed to be (at least this film's) Goblin.

Advertisement