Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 18 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Amazing race. Had everything, bit sick Alonso didn't close the gap further on Vettel. Personally I think Alonso made a mistake in going after Kimi and thus taking away DRS from Button which would have helped him to defend better and finish third. I don't think button would have passed Alonso with DRS so in my opinion it would have been the smartest tactic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ted hinting that the rest of the engineers through the pitlane think Red Bull's story is bull****.
    What story is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Ted hinting that the rest of the engineers through the pitlane think Red Bull's story is bull****.

what story was bull****?

What story is that?

"We tell Renault what we want to do, they tell us how much fuel to put in and we do it."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

What story is that?

That Red Bull gives you wings

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Dcully wrote: »
    yeah only third after starting from last place,what an idiotic comment :rolleyes:

And another :rolleyes:

Some lads just can't take a joke around here!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Well done Lotus and

s1_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

OSI wrote: »

Firstly, **** off telling people to get a grip of themselves. It's my opinion and I'll express it all I like. You're welcome to counter it, but telling people to "get a grip of themselves" just because tou dont agree with them is just childish.

As for Vettel, there was no need for him to be swearing (granted neither was there for Kimi), he knows he's on TV and should act so. There's a time and a place for him to complain about Ricciardo, on the podium is not it, and soaking DC while he was trying to perform an interview is incredibly disrespectful.

Is it disrespectful telling someone to **** off on this forum?

Anyway the drivers are after a tough hot race with their pulses still probably racing so unexpected things will sometimes pop out (they shouldn't but they're human after all) DC is a ex driver who did plenty of boyish things during interviews plus Seb probably knows him personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Kimi speaking loads and getting very excited on the podium was fantastic to see.

Oh wait......;)

And then Sebastian saying the "F" word again live on TV.

And this time its on the podium and in an arab country too.

Well done Seb.:D

Just watching the repeat of the forum on the red button.

Jake really needs to stop trying to do an impersonation of Eddie. That had to have been one of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

recyclebin wrote: »
    Just watching the repeat of the forum on the red button.

Jake really needs to stop trying to do an impersonation of Eddie. That had to have been one of the worst Irish accents I've ever heard.

Sure he wont be around after this season :pac: unfortunatly but yes, pretty bad accent

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

After 4 incredibly dull races where I even questioned my love of the Sport, we were due a cracker and we got one !

It had a bit of everything, Vettel was always going to steam through from the back. To do it twice and still get a podium was a masterclass. I eat my words from last week.

Crashes, safety cars, overtakes and (pretty much) everyones favourite driver getting a win. The podium was crazy too. Kimi saying "sh1t" was to be expected, but I think Vettel was probably trying to make DC uncomfortable with his f word. I'd say Coulthard has a very professional on-camera personality and is probably is a bit of a lad off-camera, and that's what that was about IMO.

Another issue for McLaren. Lewis smiling in post race interviews almost indicates that his decision is justified, he's doing all he can but the team are letting him down time and time again. Really unacceptable stuff.

Webber was woeful too. His starts are nearly comical now. He was involved in a few incidents, not 100% his fault, but still messy on his behalf. The team calling him in for the pitstop was just to get him out of Vettels way. He's almost become Barichello to Vettels Schumacher at this stage..

Brilliant race though, it's restored my faith in F1 for another bit :)

Should the FIA look at bigger punishments for not having enough fuel or other infringements after qualifying?

You shouldn't be allowed change tyres and setup if your found to have broken the rules.

Take this weekend for example: Vettel's car should have went into parc ferme straight after qualifying. The same for Hamilton earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Should the FIA look at bigger punishments for not having enough fuel or other infringements after qualifying?

You shouldn't be allowed change tyres and setup if your found to have broken the rules.

Take this weekend for example: Vettel's car should have went into parc ferme straight after qualifying. The same for Hamilton earlier in the season.

Agreed. The punishment is starting from the back of the grid, or the pit lane if you choose to make changes. However with the tyres the way they are and especially if you are driving a competitive car like the Red Bull, it's not always much of a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah I agree. It should be a time penalty that puts the driver to the back of the grid rather than disqualification that allows them to change gear ratios, start on fresh tyres etc. It should be the same as a gearbox/engine change where drivers still start on the tyres they qualify on and with the same setup.

It definitely gave Vettel an advantage today in comparision to what would have happened if he started the race with his "quali" setup. And thats not to take anything away from Seb today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Excellent result for Kimi.
    Some entertainer :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

frostie500 wrote: »

Yeah I agree. It should be a time penalty that puts the driver to the back of the grid rather than disqualification that allows them to change gear ratios, start on fresh tyres etc. It should be the same as a gearbox/engine change where drivers still start on the tyres they qualify on and with the same setup.

It definitely gave Vettel an advantage today in comparision to what would have happened if he started the race with his "quali" setup. And thats not to take anything away from Seb today

That was the penalty in essence (dsq from quali = start from the back). The reason he started from the pit lane was Red Bull withdrew the car from parc ferme. Anyone can do that and start from the pit lane. Used to be quite common in years past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It certainly delivered, but funnily enough, most races that don't feature Vettel winning prove to be so, even historical snorefests such as Valencia & today Abu Dhabi. Gripping stuff, & it felt so refreshing to watch it.

Again re Hamilton, I think it didn't phase him too much. I think he has an inner confidence now & believes he has what it takes to win, its up to the team to provide a fitting car. Terrible luck, which played into Vettels hands ultimately.

Kimi - chuffed for him, he's a proper racer & once he got the faintest whiff of a win, like all the greats do, he went balls out for it. Sure yes it landed on his lap when Hamilton dropped out, but his start alone earned it for him.

Alonso - Savage stuff again today from him, the man is a machine. 10 points now with two races to go, I'll be devastated if it slips away from him...his never give up attitude on track is infectious.

Vettel - I'm not quite sure how to rate Vettels drive actually :confused: He drove dominantly at times, but showed flashes of immaturity too with the collision with the Williams. I felt at times he was trying to bite too much off, ultimately costing himself. He also overtook off track again, which I thought was a bizarre way & place to do it. He also had some unreal luck with the safety cars & incidents...but he drove like there was no stopping him...& there wasn't. I had tipped him for a podium even after his penalty, that car is too quick & he's too good for it to be any other way.

Webber - I felt let himself down with some really scrappy driving at times, unlike him I though, to make so many mistakes.

Perez - Needs to clean up his act! He won't do well at McLaren making mistakes like that one today, I put him completely in the wrong.

Rosberg & Karth - what the hell happened there? Did Karth just lose power or slow suddenly to allow Rosberg to pass him? Unreal impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

EnterNow wrote: »
    Rosberg & Karth - what the hell happened there? Did Karth just lose power or slow suddenly to allow Rosberg to pass him? Unreal impact!
    HRT are say karth lost hydraulics mid corner, causing his steering to go hard and he lifted. Stewards were happy enough with that.

I have to say that, after watching the slo-mo, karth is a lucky boy. Rosbergs merc was so close to smacking him on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

EnterNow wrote: »

Hydraulic failure. Kar couldn't do steer, so he braked.

I think a pit lane start isn't enough of a penalty any more. I think if you decide to start from the pits you should lose a lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just watched the highlights on BBC3 and gotta say I'm quite disappointed by the whole Vettel/RedBull thing.

After seeing the brazen behaviour last night in the face of their breaking the rules, with Horner saying that the FIA would issue a statement rather than take it on the chin and be honest, they then manage to twist said rulebook to tweak the car further and provide Seb with a quicker car than the one he did his qualifying in. I don't blame Vettel on this one, he drove a good race with the equipment he had, but I think there's something very wrong that the team breached the rules but somehow benefitted from it. At one point the commentators mentioned that his speed trap figure was 5 or 6mph higher than it had been in qualifying, and in qualy he would have had a lighter car too. I just think that some of his overtakes might never have happened if it wasn't for those changes - like the one towards the end on Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

vectra wrote: »

Put that on my favs on youtube. Thank you.

Best race since Buttons win at Canada last season ( that was last season?).

Glad Rosberg and Karth were OK as it looked a nasty crash. Was hoping as well that Heikki Kovalainen would sneak that 12th place as I think his place in Caterham next year depends on it.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights on BBC3 and gotta say I'm quite disappointed by the whole Vettel/RedBull thing.

After seeing the brazen behaviour last night in the face of their breaking the rules, with Horner saying that the FIA would issue a statement rather than take it on the chin and be honest, they then manage to twist said rulebook to tweak the car further and provide Seb with a quicker car than the one he did his qualifying in. I don't blame Vettel on this one, he drove a good race with the equipment he had, but I think there's something very wrong that the team breached the rules but somehow benefitted from it. At one point the commentators mentioned that his speed trap figure was 5 or 6mph higher than it had been in qualifying, and in qualy he would have had a lighter car too. I just think that some of his overtakes might never have happened if it wasn't for those changes - like the one towards the end on Button.

I'm in agreement with you there but Red Bull just used the rules to their advantage. They got away lightly with under fueling and this is just another example of why I think the rules book needs to be thorn up and rewritten. There are too many loopholes which the bigger teams with more money and resources look to exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

How do you keep Vettel down. Lucky or not, the man is insanely good at digging out results. The only man better at it is Alonso. Vettel and Alonso are on another level at the moment. Have to concede now that its going to be another title for Vettel. Cant say that he doesn't deserve it, just a shame that they only hand out one. Alonso deserves one for dragging that mewl around all season, has given us some brilliant performances. Never liked him but respect him so so much after this season.

What a race it was in the end. Webber having a mare again, starts are so poor as was his general race craft today. Kob had a solid race will be sad to see him go. McClaren having another nightmare with reliability. That race has gone a long way to make up for the last few bore-fests.

On to Austin. Who can stop Vettel at this late stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    On to Austin. Who can stop Vettel at this late stage?

Massa could have a good chance at stopping him perhaps ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mark Webber was driving very very oddly yesterday. I wonder was he driving the way he was, purely to try and get a safety car out, to help Vettle catch the pack?

antodeco wrote: »
    Mark Webber was driving very very oddly yesterday. I wonder was he driving the way he was, purely to try and get a safety car out, to help Vettle catch the pack?

After what Pique did anything is possible but Webber is not that kind of driver. He just looked frustrated after dropping down the order from starting second and just took more risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

vectra wrote: »

exactly, i heard lotus gave kimi a message on what he had to do near the end and kimi just cut them right off and said 'i know what to do etc..':D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

After what Pique did anything is possible but Webber is not that kind of driver. He just looked frustrated after dropping down the order from starting second and just took more risks.

Oh I know, he is a very honest driver, it just seemed like it wasnt Webber driving the car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Seeing Alonsos emotions on the podium, you could see that it mean't a lot to him, I hope this goes to the wire, and he gets it.

Advertisement