Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1: Round 18 - Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Options
  • 01-11-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

I didnt have time for a Grand Prix-view this week but thought it's time to get the race thread started!

After an exceptionally dull Indian GP we move to Abu Dhabi....which is also generally very dull!

The championship battle has fizzled out in the eyes of many with Vettel having been handed the crown already by most fans but dont be too quick to write the obituaries for Fernando Alonso's championship challenge. The Ferrari should have lots of new parts this weekend and the team are confident of them finding a lot of performance.

They wont have the double DRS that is so important for qualifying so Alonso will have to come from behind to win on Sunday but in terms of race pace they only need to find a tenth or so and apparently the new bits and pieces should be providing such an advantage....

For Alonso however the key to his title assault could come in the form of an unlikely ally. Lewis Hamilton and McLaren will have high hopes this weekend the MP4-27 should be very competitive around Yas Marina. If Hamilton and Button can hook the Macca up this weekend they could be in the thick of the fight for the win.

Raikkonen and Lotus have lost a certain amount of their spark of late and Grosjean looks terrified of getting close to anyone on track so I dont expect the Enstone based squad to be too much of a factor in Abu Dhabi.

Sauber were in the news for hiring Nico Hulkenberg earlier in the year and the Swiss squad can make a giant leap towards cementing sixth in the Constructors Championship with a decent finish this weekend. If Perez or Kobayashi can finish in the top eight they will have had a great weekend and would likely leave Force India with an insurmountable gap in the table.

Caterham and Marussia's fight for tenth will run until the end of the season but Abu Dhabi wont give Caterham any opportunity to claim a 12th place finish. Marussia published huge losses in the last year and retaining the tenth spot would give them a huge infusion of cash going forward. For Caterhman the focus is shifted towards Heikki Kovalainen's future and it looks likely to be resolved in the next fortnight with the Finn staying put for at least one more year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

frostie500 wrote: »
    After an exceptionally dull Indian GP we move to Abu Dhabi....which is also generally very dull!

And it will be another borefest this weekend IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

I remember similar things being said before Valencia this year, look how that turned out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you look really really closely, & I mean properly closely, you can actually see parts of the race track amongst the run off areas

Talk of a one stop race already. Groan :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I remember similar things being said before Valencia this year, look how that turned out!

Thats because they knew I was there. Sent all the teams a tweet. Was very unselfish of Vettel to pretend to have an alternator favour. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    And it will be another borefest this weekend IMO.

could be, i heard even with DRS overtaking here is really difficult. fernando could have done with a DRS in 2010 when he was stuck behind petrov. i can't see this being a wet race so i feeel fernando will need a lot of luck to win this gp but you never know

could be, i heard even with DRS overtaking here is really difficult. fernando could have done with a DRS in 2010 when he was stuck behind petrov. i can't see this being a wet race so i feeel fernando will need a lot of luck to win this gp but you never know

Because of the farce of teams being allowed to use DRS during Qualifying, hard to see past Vettel being on pole & sailing away into the sunset while we all snore away watching it. Ugh, this season since Singapore really has made me feel like Bill Murray

groundhog_day.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Just put on FP2 to hear what sounded like John Watson accusing Red Bull of having an oil tank at the front of the car that they pump oil into to improve weight balance, then pump it back out before scrutineering. Anyone else hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Rascasse wrote: »
    Just put on FP2 to hear what sounded like John Watson accusing Red Bull of having an oil tank at the front of the car that they pump oil into to improve weight balance, then pump it back out before scrutineering. Anyone else hear that?

Haven't heard that one before, hard to see how they'd have room for something like that at the front of the car or how it would go undetected

Rascasse wrote: »

Hard to believe they'd be able to hide and operate a system like that. Movable weight distribution is against the rules too isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

EnterNow wrote: »
    Talk of a one stop race already. Groan :(

Are you not the person who was whinging and bitching a couple of races ago that the softness of the tyres was farcical?

Ares wrote: »
    Are you not the person who was whinging and bitching a couple of races ago that the softness of the tyres was farcical?

Was I? Not sure, overly soft tyres can add a lot a huge artificial feel to the race...but overly durable tyres make boring races even more boring. I take it you don't think there could be a nice middle ground no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Was I? Not sure, overly soft tyres can add a lot a huge artificial feel to the race...but overly durable tyres make boring races even more boring. I take it you don't think there could be a nice middle ground no?

IMO every race should have tires that cause all teams to two or three stop.

Daniel S wrote: »

Yeah perhaps, the thoughts of an Abu Dhabi GP with a one stop strategy really arn't appealing, sure we'll see how it goes.

It's happened before even before Pirelli, I remember Vettel dominated a whole race & just pitted on the last lap to adhere to the regs.

Only two tenths between Vettel & Hamilton in FP2...could be a strong race for McLaren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It's happened before even before Pirelli, I remember Vettel dominated a whole race & just pitted on the last lap to adhere to the regs

Monza 2010 if i recall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Track would be so much better with refuelling. A strategy other than drive until the tyres give up, stop and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm going to miss the race live, though after last week I'm not all that bothered. Compressed highlights will do just grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Compressed highlights? Let's hope there are any ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Judging by practice today, I have a funny feeling about this race...just can't see Red Bull running away with it. Ok in qualy they'll have use of the DRS to get pole. But I reckon Hamilton will hunt Vettel down within the first few laps of the race. Anything but a straight forward race...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

They should be running tyre compounds that will degrade enough to force at least a two stop. Im sure for the teams its a nightmare but the races are shockingly boring.

I also think that even if they run the soft and super-softs the teams will eventually be able to develop a way of making a one stop work. The mechanics and designers are so innovative they will figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Off track action may just dominate this weekend. Talk of the Murdochs buying into F1..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I can't wait for this. They should just get rid of tracks like Spa and Suzuka and have more tracks like Abu Dhabi. I really hope to see Vettel coast to an easy win as well, should be an exciting weekend :rolleyes:

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    They should be running tyre compounds that will degrade enough to force at least a two stop. Im sure for the teams its a nightmare but the races are shockingly boring.

I also think that even if they run the soft and super-softs the teams will eventually be able to develop a way of making a one stop work. The mechanics and designers are so innovative they will figure it out.

I don't mean to have a dig at them, but they're just mechanics. They won't be working out tyre strategy or the durability of the tyre. Mathematicians/engineers will be doing that.

Just bring in super, super Velvet soft tyre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Feck the tyres,bring back refueling. A combo of varying fuel strategies and potential fuel rig cock-ups would make for much more interesting racing. The last few races have been real bores and i've actually been glad i've been working and had them Sky +'d.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

I don't mean to have a dig at them, but they're just mechanics. They won't be working out tyre strategy or the durability of the tyre. Mathematicians/engineers will be doing that.

Just bring in super, super Velvet soft tyre :D

I was being nice to the poor mechanics.

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    I was being nice to the poor mechanics.

Too nice. ;)

lord lucan wrote: »
    Feck the tyres,bring back refueling. A combo of varying fuel strategies and potential fuel rig cock-ups would make for much more interesting racing. The last few races have been real bores and i've actually been glad i've been working and had them Sky +'d.

They won't do that, F1 is seen as pioneering automotive safety. Give the drivers air pistols and let them shoot each others tyres out, it'd be claaaaas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What time is this race on at??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Autosport wrote: »
    What time is this race on at??

1 o'clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,069 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Things looking up with Vettel having problems in P3,very limited running

Hamilton and Button fastest with 7 minutes to go

edit:Vettel getting out at the end and setting 3rd fastest lap ahead of Webber, hopefully the form carrys through to Qualifying

Advertisement