Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish suicide question

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The problem is so many people don't know about any other sort of councelling than the talky talky rehash the past type councelling which is pretty useless for when a person gets to a point where they know the hows and the whys, and it's time for them to unlearn their behaviours and learn new ones.

CBT is becoming popular thank god, but the vast majority of councellors in this country practice rogarian style councelling (even if they say they do something else! - they don't!).
    The problem with giving advice like this is, that people considering going to counselling could completely discount Person-centered therapy/Humanistic approach as a result. Although you didn't have much success with this style, it proved invaluable for me.
    LyndaMcl wrote:
    It does NOT work for everyone, but if you're ready, find the right form of therapy for you and the right counsellor for your needs, it can be wonderful.
    Best piece of advice on counselling in this thread so far. It would be great if you could go to the counselling equivalent of a triage nurse who could pick the right therapy/counsellor combination for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The problem with giving advice like this is, that people considering going to counselling could completely discount Person-centered therapy/Humanistic approach as a result. Although you didn't have much success with this style, it proved invaluable for me.

Firstly, it wasn't advice, it was opinion.
    Secondly, I didn't suggest it should be discounted, at least that was not my intention.
    It is very useful for a time - when a person is dealing with some grief or trauma, or needs to work through the hows, whys, patterns etc..
    But there comes a time where a new approach is needed to move forward.
    Also, it is important that people ensure the counceller has the credentials.
    And if one counseller doesn't work for you, that does not mean you should discount counselling as a whole - try a different counsellor, or a few different ones. If none of them work, try a different style of counseller.
    That's all I was trying to say in my post really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

As someone mentioned earlier and I think it's worth re-iterating, I would say most people with depression at least, are not sitting in bed all day, doing nothing and crying / sad all the time. They are living the exact same lives, day to day as anyone else, it's just (speaking for myself) it's all forced and fake, the difference is a lack of true feeling (not in all cases but just for a different perspective on it).

For example, just this week a doctor in my area did his whole days work, including visiting 3 hospitals and then went home and hung himself. A pharmacist did the same, came home from work and killed himself.

So my point is just to place emphasis on the fact that completely depressed people can and sometimes do hide it for a long time and I think that's how you get these 'sudden' cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

As someone mentioned earlier and I think it's worth re-iterating, I would say most people with depression at least, are not sitting in bed all day, doing nothing and crying / sad all the time. They are living the exact same lives, day to day as anyone else, it's just (speaking for myself) it's all forced and fake, the difference is a lack of true feeling (not in all cases but just for a different perspective on it).

For example, just this week a doctor in my area did his whole days work, including visiting 3 hospitals and then went home and hung himself. A pharmacist did the same, came home from work and killed himself.

So my point is just to place emphasis on the fact that completely depressed people can and sometimes do hide it for a long time and I think that's how you get these 'sudden' cases.

I was just reading an article yesterday and people in both those careers are at the most risk of suicide, especially doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

flyswatter wrote: »
    I was just reading an article yesterday and people in both those careers are at the most risk of suicide, especially doctors.

Sucks for me that I'm going back to college to be a psychologist, so. :pac:

I think if you're working in an area where you deal with vulnerable people or depressed people, sometimes it's a good idea to get some therapy yourself. It can't be easy listening to negativity all day long, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I'm not sure if its been said already but pieta house is a fantastic facility, they help those who are suicidal, their family and friends. Even if you are concerned about a family member or friend pieta will give you advice and help and its 100% free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Sucks for me that I'm going back to college to be a psychologist, so. :pac:

I think if you're working in an area where you deal with vulnerable people or depressed people, sometimes it's a good idea to get some therapy yourself. It can't be easy listening to negativity all day long, I'd imagine.

Well, psychologists aren't doctors unless they have a doctorate postgraduate so no worries there then!

I honestly can't remember if psychologists were mentioned on the list though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

flyswatter wrote: »
    Well, psychologists aren't doctors unless they have a doctorate postgraduate so no worries there then!

I honestly can't remember if psychologists were mentioned on the list though.

Still a bit of a medical field, but sure I'll be grand. :D

But yeah, in a profession like being a GP, I'd imagine some counselling would be a helpful thing to get every now and then if things are bringing you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

LyndaMcL wrote: »

Still a bit of a medical field, but sure I'll be grand. :D

But yeah, in a profession like being a GP, I'd imagine some counselling would be a helpful thing to get every now and then if things are bringing you down.

I know physiotherapists have to have supervision every so often so they can discuss the issues they have come up against. Just because you've studied for years and know how to deal with certain things doesn't mean you're immune to being negatively affected by the situations/stories you hear.

Advertisement