Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish suicide question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Promac wrote: »
    Ireland is a feckin horrible country to be depressed in. People who don't normally get depressed will get depressed in Ireland. Living in Ireland I was ready for the noose.

Dpression hits you anywhere anytime. It has nothing to do with the country. It is within a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Are you mad? New Zealand is like feckin paradise compared to Ireland. Unless you're living in Greymouth or somewhere I can't imagine how you'd see New Zealand as dour...
    Andy!! wrote: »
    Ever lived in NZ? Well then.

I agree with him. Ireland is a ****hole and getting out helped me a lot too. Im in asia so not so far from NZ and we get the bad weather and isolated areas too but its not about that. You think people kill themselves over a bit of rain?

I'm baffled. I don't really get what point you're making. NZ has much higher rates of suicide than Ireland. You're saying Ireland is a dump and you're entitled to your opinion but how does this relate to the suicide question? I don't see what connection you're making when Ireland has lower suicide rates than the country you're extolling. Look at the countries that rate higher than Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rates

Besides from some of the Eastern European countries, many of them are wealthy countries with plenty of opportunities for young people...but people are still deciding to kill themselves. Why are you going on about how great NZ is? That'd be all well and good if they had very low suicide rates....but they don't. Can you make yourselves a bit clearer please or are you just using this excuse to mouth off and have a pointless rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

If I'm honest, I don't think there's anything that can be done. Antidepressants sometimes work but very little is known about them. Doctors can't get better at treating something they don't understand. It's very much trial and error with these things.
    Counselling is rubbish and often makes you feel worse then you were previously.
    It's pointless talking to a friend or family member as it only worries them and that makes you feel worse.
    Ringing the Samaritans makes you feel worse. There's no emotional connection to the person at the end of the phone. It's like posting your problems here, no connection, no help and your right back where you started.

You should change your username. With opinions like that nobody would ever want to turn to you for help in the future if ever they needed to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

DenMan wrote: »
    You should change your username. With opinions like that nobody would ever want to turn to you for help in the future if ever they needed to!

I'm speaking from experience. I'd probably be the best person for one of my friends to talk to if they were going through it because I know what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The outlaw

crusher000 wrote: »
    What I can't understand is how much money is spent campaigning for road safety in Ireland but suicide takes more lives and the same financial backing isn't there. We also need to look at the causes of depression and as an earlier post said it is to general when we use the term mental illness. If we look at root causes of problems we'll have a better understanding. We have so many issues in society now that i could be here for the day. Young peole perceiving no prospects for the future, low self esteem, turning to drink for comfort etc etc. We still are slow to discuss the suicide problem and well done to original poster.

Yes all of us would agree with that. It seems from looking at the facts, that the number of suicides started to outnumber road deaths from the late 90s and substantially increased from 2001 onwards. In 2003 (year of penalty points brought in) there were over 40% more suicides than road deaths. So odds are that, in last 11 years, all of us are more likely to know people who died from suicide than road deaths. Before the recession we seemed to have the 8th lowest suicide rate in Europe which is encouraging when you consider how little was invested in mental health services. The recession and lack of services seems to be the cause.

http://www.nosp.ie/incidence_07.pdf

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Crash%20Stats/Road_deaths_Ireland59_to_09.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm speaking from experience. I'd probably be the best person for one of my friends to talk to if they were going through it because I know what it's like.

I hope everything is gong well in your life now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

DenMan wrote: »

His words may appear harsh but I understand his message NegativeCreep.

If you're speaking from your experience it's subjective to you but I think to spread the message that none of these services or options work in such broad terms (like you did there) is to put it bluntly, dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

From my own personal experience of being a 25 year old male, I think the drink culture has a big part to play in suicide rates in Ireland. I honestly think half the country is walking around drained physically and mentally from the weekend before. After seeing several friends battle with depression and drinking and perhaps feeling myself slipping into the same trap, I decided to cut down on my own intake. The one thing I notice now above all others when I wake up from the odd night out is how different or variable my mood is well after the hangover has passed. If I go out on a Saturday night, it is Tuesday or Wednesday before I feel 100% mentally and sometimes physically fit again.

Are there any statistics or studies about the role drink and drugs play in being a contributory factor in suicides in Ireland?

flyswatter wrote: »
    His words may appear harsh but I understand his message NegativeCreep.

If you're speaking from your experience it's subjective to you but I think to spread the message that none of these services or options work in such broad terms (like you did there) is to put it bluntly, dangerous.

Yes I suppose that's true and I'm sorry. That was just my opinion and shouldn't be taken as gospel by anyone at all.

By all means try everything possible and make your own mind up if you are depressed, just don't expect it to be a great cure like I did. I'm sure at least one of those methods will work for most people. I haven't tried the antidepressants yet, so I'm hoping that's the right method for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Counselling is rubbish and often makes you feel worse then you were previously.
    It's pointless talking to a friend or family member as it only worries them and that makes you feel worse.

Wow, what a strange view!

Counselling (and other forms of therapy, such as DBT and CBT) have huge success rates! It's all about finding the therapist and form of therapy that best suits your needs. For example, a lot of people diagnosed as being Borderline tend to be referred for counselling, when DBT is much more effective as it's specifically tailored to help with Borderline. Trauma counselling has huge success rates, as does rape counselling. Counselling for self esteem and marriage issues also have great success rates. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works amazingly well for a lot of people. If someone who has untreated mental health issues were to read your view on counselling, it could be a huge deterrent to them seeking help. It does NOT work for everyone, but if you're ready, find the right form of therapy for you and the right counsellor for your needs, it can be wonderful. I struggled for 6 years with therapy because I just didn't trust the counsellors I had, after a bad experience with my first counsellor. After 6 years, I finally found one who was absolutely amazing. 6 months later, I was off all medication, finished counselling and feeling fantastic, with much improved confidence levels and self respect.

As for not telling family and friends becaue of the worry - I agree to a certain extent that it can make you feel worse if you can't talk to someone without them worrying. However, when dealing with mental health issues, you need a strong support network around you, including friends and family. It's difficult for them to comprehend what you're going through, but personally, my friends and family were a fantastic support to me and helped me to stay sane when counselling was going badly for me.

• Advertisement

OK, I didn't realise that my post could potentially be detrimental to a person seeking help or to people with literally no nope. I've deleted it. If you quoted it, edit your post and remove the quote. Sorry everyone :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I would disagree with negative creep too. But those services and methods he listed arent going to solve the problem all on their own.

The main thing in my opinion that aids recovery is summoning enough personal motivation and strength to fight the depression.
    Im not exactly sure how to phrase this as Im terrible at conveying what Im trying to say.

But at the end of the day it boils down to the individual trying. I know thats extremely hard to do it but you have to try one way or the other. For me, the medication and councilling helped a tiny bit but I just decided I was going to try my best to get rid of it.
    I hated exercise, but I slowly forced myself into doing it once a week. I tried my best to improve my diet, and engage in social interraction more. Slowly things began to improve.

I know anybody with depression reading this is probably thinking yeah right, thats a load of crap. But trust me, half the battle is trying to set your mind on something like that even if it seems like the stupidest, most annoying thing that you dont want to deal with. Its almost impossible to view improving your situation in a positive light with depression and thats half the battle. Its so hard to explain what I mean.

No meds, doctors, or councilling is going to magically make you better on their own..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 189 ✭✭Bergkamp 10

I've post previously about my own depression and situation on AH. I have to just comment and say I agree with the guy who said alcohol is a major issue with regards depression.

I think if your unhappy alcohol makes things sooo much worse. And the amount of people who use alcohol as a crutch is alarming. Even on TV if they have a tough day its straight to the cabinet open the whiskey bottle, or spending the day in the pub. This feeds into peoples minds that this behaviour is alright! Things are getting worse with regard alcohol abuse here and I dont know how to stop it.

I've only been drinking heavily 4 years, now I know the harm it does. The hard part is stopping. I'm on day 3 now , I hope to last this time. I can only imagine how hard it is for people drinking heavily 10 plus years with depression.

Another thing if your a young male in this country , it is so hard not to drink alcohol. Sadly I dont know anyone over the age of 16 who doesnt drink. How sad is that? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't know how to help the situation of Irish suicide. A lot of people, myself included, would say it's down to the stigma of mental health in Ireland, nobody talks about their feelings etc. but I really don't think that's it anymore. I used to think that years ago but recently I've noticed a lot of my people doing fundraising for Pieta House, Aware etc. I was in one conversation with friends (who I would have had down as my least sensitive friends, always joking around about everything, not as liberal or educated for want of a better description) where they discussed seriously how horrible it is that people are depressed and feel they can't talk about it, and how they know a lot of people suffering from depression. That conversation really shocked me.

So what is it then? Is it solely the lack of services in Ireland? I think the services are there if you can afford them so really that only leaves the group of people who are relying on public health services that 'should' be at risk.

I know for me, I have access to counselling and I recently started after years of living with depression. I don't feel it is helping. I feel it is getting worse. Many times, I've contemplated suicide. I'd never do it out of guilt for leaving my family behind and I know it's the 'wrong' thing to do. I know I will never commit suicide but I can see why others do it.

I wish there were a quick fix solution to suicide in Ireland (and worldwide) but I just don't think there is. OF COURSE, I would advise that anyone with such feelings talk to someone, go to your GP, get counselling. And if it works, then great! I've been told there are great success rates. But what of the people for whom it doesn't work? Unfortunately, I believe that not everybody in this life will be happy. Not everybody will be happy in their job (if they are lucky enough to get one), not everyone will find love, have healthy relationships with friends/family. It's the unfortunate truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Are there any statistics or studies about the role drink and drugs play in being a contributory factor in suicides in Ireland?

I don't know if such a detailed study has been done, but I think drink/drugs must have a role in some percentage of the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Wow, what a strange view!

Counselling (and other forms of therapy, such as DBT and CBT) have huge success rates! It's all about finding the therapist and form of therapy that best suits your needs. For example, a lot of people diagnosed as being Borderline tend to be referred for counselling, when DBT is much more effective as it's specifically tailored to help with Borderline. Trauma counselling has huge success rates, as does rape counselling. Counselling for self esteem and marriage issues also have great success rates. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works amazingly well for a lot of people. If someone who has untreated mental health issues were to read your view on counselling, it could be a huge deterrent to them seeking help. It does NOT work for everyone, but if you're ready, find the right form of therapy for you and the right counsellor for your needs, it can be wonderful. I struggled for 6 years with therapy because I just didn't trust the counsellors I had, after a bad experience with my first counsellor. After 6 years, I finally found one who was absolutely amazing. 6 months later, I was off all medication, finished counselling and feeling fantastic, with much improved confidence levels and self respect.

The problem is so many people don't know about any other sort of councelling than the talky talky rehash the past type councelling which is pretty useless for when a person gets to a point where they know the hows and the whys, and it's time for them to unlearn their behaviours and learn new ones.

CBT is becoming popular thank god, but the vast majority of councellors in this country practice rogarian style councelling (even if they say they do something else! - they don't!).

And a scary amount of them aren't even registered with the IACP.
    Plus, there is no actual degree course where you qualify to become a councellor.

There are TONS of types of councelling methods out there, but Ireland is overpopulated by the same old crappy councellors that take the softly softly, and how do you feel approach - which has its uses of course - it is invaluable for certain things, but the time comes where you need to move forward from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

An old buddy of mine tried to kill himself about two years ago, he was 18.

He was bullied since primary school and was obviously not feeling very happy a lot of the time, nobody ever tried to help him really.
    Teachers, school counselors, his parents.....nobody gave a crap.

Then after he swallowed a load of pills he was allergic to and ended up in the hospital, everybody was so hush-hush, everybody was so quiet about it.
    It was a "personal thing", a "private matter", even though socially shunning him, verbal abuse (even from teachers) and purposeful exclusion were more than socially acceptable.

I was thinking of posting a thread a while back cause a coroner from my town criticised the internet and so-called "suicide websites" : http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/suicide-websites-criticised-1-4331145

I tried to google such sites, but all I got were government sites set up to try curb suicides.

I find it absurd to want to control an area of free speech in such a Socially Conservative place like Ireland.

An old buddy of mine tried to kill himself about two years ago, he was 18.

He was bullied since primary school and was obviously not feeling very happy a lot of the time, nobody ever tried to help him really.
    Teachers, school counselors, his parents.....nobody gave a crap.

Then after he swallowed a load of pills he was allergic to and ended up in the hospital, everybody was so hush-hush, everybody was so quiet about it.
    It was a "personal thing", a "private matter", even though socially shunning him, verbal abuse (even from teachers) and purposeful exclusion were more than socially acceptable.

I was thinking of posting a thread a while back cause a coroner from my town criticised the internet and so-called "suicide websites" : http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/suicide-websites-criticised-1-4331145

I tried to google such sites, but all I got were government sites set up to try curb suicides.

I find it absurd to want to control an area of free speech in such a Socially Conservative place like Ireland.

I know Google purposely promote anti-suicide results in their search engine when doing searches for the term.

You're never going to be able to control pro suicide sites totally if you want to find them, and there is little if any censorship on the Irish web.

I'm against censorship but I actually think the Russian governments new censorship policies for the web make sense, it's not like China or anything, but is controlling sites on terrorism, paedophilia, suicide too.

Do you think that curbing sites promoting suicide is a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

I don't think censoring Free Speech is a good thing, but constant verbal abuse should be a matter for the police.

Where are these sites anyway? I've found many weird ones knocking around the place but never one set up specifically for this purpose.

I bet if such laws were set up, the first places they'd go for would be imageboards like 4chan, while sites like reddit would be relatively immune, based on their perception, even though a site like reddit can cause just as much harm.

I think most importantly what people say to the depressed in real life will end up being far more important than what random people say on the internet.
    Trying to suppress speech on the internet while simultaneously not caring about what people say in real life is a bad policy.

Any of my friends or acquaintances who've ever been depressed, there wasn't anybody there for them at all, therefore the internet can be a great thing as an outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I'm baffled. I don't really get what point you're making. NZ has much higher rates of suicide than Ireland. You're saying Ireland is a dump and you're entitled to your opinion but how does this relate to the suicide question? I don't see what connection you're making when Ireland has lower suicide rates than the country you're extolling. Look at the countries that rate higher than Ireland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rates

Besides from some of the Eastern European countries, many of them are wealthy countries with plenty of opportunities for young people...but people are still deciding to kill themselves. Why are you going on about how great NZ is? That'd be all well and good if they had very low suicide rates....but they don't. Can you make yourselves a bit clearer please or are you just using this excuse to mouth off and have a pointless rant?

Pointless rant? Look who's talking. I wasn't the one that brought up NZ. My original comment (that you'd have seen had you actually read the thread instead just jumping on one comment) was that Ireland is a horrible place to be depressed in and I stand by it. Someone else saw that my current location is NZ and pointed out that there are much higher suicide rates here and someone else started banging on about why NZ is so much better so I've been responding. I had no intention of talking about NZ in the first place.

As I said earlier, psychologists are baffled as to why the suicide rates are so high here when the general population is very satisfied with life and it's such a nice place to live. As someone who has lived with depression for a long time, I believe it's a lot easier to deal with here for a variety of reasons which have already been discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Dpression hits you anywhere anytime. It has nothing to do with the country. It is within a person.

You missed the point there. It's a lot easier to deal with depression if you're not in a dreary country surrounded by negative people and serious socio-economic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Pointless rant? Look who's talking. I wasn't the one the brought up NZ. My original comment (that you'd have seen had you actually read the thread instead just jumping on one comment) was that Ireland is a horrible place to be depressed in and I stand by it. Someone else saw that my current location is NZ and pointed out that there are much higher suicide rates here and someone else started banging on about why NZ is so much better so I've been responding. I had no intention of talking about NZ in the first place.

As I said earlier, psychologists are baffled as to why the suicide rates are so high here when the general population is very satisfied with life and it's such a nice place to live. As someone who has lived with depression for a long time, I believe it's a lot easier to deal with here for a variety of reasons which have already been discussed.

As it happens, by coincidence I have good friend here from NZ who suffers from depression. She thinks it's much easier to deal with it here than at home - thinks we are actually much more open about talking about depression and suicide and that there are lots of high profile campaigns and support services. Perhaps it is the change of location and a break from your perceived norm and routine that are responsible for an improved outlook on life.

I don't think there is any straight forward reason for or solution to suicide. I don't think Ireland has a particularly bad issue with it (when compared to international levels) - but of course any suicide is a problem that we should at least try to address.

I wonder, if our health and support systems are to blame, then why are other countries with much better health systems above us in the suicide rankings? Why are countries with much worse sytems below us? Why are countries with better living standards above us and some with worse living standards below us? I don't know - but I think it does point to the fact that it's not that simple and that lashing out to blame "the government" is not the answer.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the government or the medical profession to have the answer. The answer doesn't exist at the moment - it's an area that's poorly understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I do.
    I was trying to figure out which pills to take to kill myself once and I came across a website that detailed tons of pills commonly taken by suicidal people.
    Loads of the common pills you find in your medicine cabinet won't kill you, but instead will completely fcuk your insides up for life, causing failures of various organs, leaving you hospitalised and on drips for life.
    And some will kill you, but after years of organ failure.
    I didn't know most of what I read, and I doubt others do either.

As it happens, by coincidence I have good friend here from NZ who suffers from depression. She thinks it's much easier to deal with it here than at home - thinks we are actually much more open about talking about depression and suicide and that there are lots of high profile campaigns and support services. Perhaps it is the change of location and a break from your perceived norm and routine that are responsible for an improved outlook on life.

I don't think there is any straight forward reason for or solution to suicide. I don't think Ireland has a particularly bad issue with it (when compared to international levels) - but of course any suicide is a problem that we should at least try to address.

I wonder, if our health and support systems are to blame, then why are other countries with much better health systems above us in the suicide rankings? Why are countries with much worse sytems below us? Why are countries with better living standards above us and some with worse living standards below us? I don't know - but I think it does point to the fact that it's not that simple and that lashing out to blame "the government" is not the answer.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect the government or the medical profession to have the answer. The answer doesn't exist at the moment - it's an area that's poorly understood.

Have to take exception to this, just because there are 30 odd countries above us in a statistics chart doesn't mean anything.

It's definitely a problem, no two ways about it. Did you read the last big thread here on suicide a couple of months back? Heartbreaking stuff.

Have to take exception to this, just because there are 30 odd countries above us in a statistics chart doesn't mean anything.

It's definitely a problem, no two ways about it. Did you read the last big thread here on suicide a couple of months back? Heartbreaking stuff.

I did say when compared to international levels. I didn't say we didn't have a problem at all.

Some people seem to make out like Ireland has unparalleled levels of suicide, but that's just not true.

Yes, I did read the thread. I have also been suicidal myself. This doesn't change my opinon that many people overplay Irish suicide levels as compared to international levels.

I do think it's interesting that the UK appears to have much lower levels.

I did say when compared to international levels. I didn't say we didn't have a problem at all.

Some people seem to make out like Ireland has unparalleled levels of suicide, but that's just not true.

Yes, I did read the thread. I have also been suicidal myself. This doesn't change my opinon that many people overplay Irish suicide levels as compared to international levels.

I do think it's interesting that the UK appears to have much lower levels.

Bear in mind it's per capita and many suicides aren't listed as such officially.

Countries like Japan and Lithuania have an epidemic of it, I haven't heard anyone compare it to the likes of those.

I think it's a big issue to be honest when the death toll is significantly higher than road deaths. Yet, it has generated no media campaign even near the same scale as drive safe/anti drink driving etc.

I think it's a big issue to be honest when the death toll is significantly higher than road deaths. Yet, it has generated no media campaign even near the same scale as drive safe/anti drink driving etc.

I see your point, but road safety and anti drink-driving campaigns are very straight forward - it is clear what the problems are and what the solutions are. Suicide and depression are just not that straight forward, so it is not clear what exactly a campaign should be focusing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm 36 and male and have been living with depression since my early teens. I lived in Ireland most my life (north and south), I lived in Europe for years and now I live in NZ and I can honestly say that everywhere I've been outside Ireland has been a far more pleasant place to be. Ireland has it's charms and it's a crackin place to visit but I never want to live there again. And don't imply from that that I'm saying Ireland is the worst place to live - far from it.

There are various reasons why Ireland is horrible but I'm not gonna do a "your place versus my place" argument. If you have a good life and little to complain about then Ireland could be a grand place to live, as I'm sure it is for most, but if you have to deal with depression too then it's horrible (in my experience) and people have already covered most of the reasons why in this thread. Living somewhere with a better quality of life, people that are happier in general and more positive overall and being in a place where the sun shines most days rather than the opposite is just something that makes dealing with depression a lot easier.

I find it interesting that you can't see why NZ would be better for weather or scenery though - did you come here in winter and only visit Greymouth? This is a beautiful country and gets the same kinda weather as parts of Spain. Might be better to start a new thread for that one though!

I don't really agree with this. Since moving to Spain, my depression has become worse than ever. I don't think where you live has much to do with it. Maybe it does for you, but for me anyway, depression is a state of mind that has little or no connection with where I'm living at any given time. It's a bit more profound than that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

women have any number of support outlets for any number of issues nowasdays , the issue of suicide is overwhelmingly a male issue , no need to refer to suicide amongst women for the sake of equality

I wasn't suggesting it as some politically correct sexual equality issue. If you know of something like Sheds for women then please do share, because I'm not aware of any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

women have any number of support outlets for any number of issues nowasdays , the issue of suicide is overwhelmingly a male issue , no need to refer to suicide amongst women for the sake of equality

se

Statistically women attempt suicide more than men. Men 'succeed' at it more than women. So no suicide is not overwhelmingly a male issue.

Depression is not necessarily gender or status specific either, self loathing can occur in rich, poor, male or female.

Drink and drugs are not causes of depression, they exacerbate an unerlying condition, but if the condition wasn't there, the wouldn't be abused in an attempt to medicate by the sufferer.

Advertisement