Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

May 20th - May 26th

Monday:
    Walk 22km
    From Borgo San Lorenzo to Vicchio along the ecotrail with Dad. Claire had to go to a conference and there was a lot of mist in the mountains so we decided to stay low. It was a bit drizzly but the day eventually cleared up and by the time we'd finished (it took us around 5 hours) the mountain tops were fully visible. I didn't do a run because I was tired.

Tuesday:

Run hills 41:23 6.91 km (5:59 / km) +408m
    I was tired today as well. Claire had to go to the conference again so I was up at half five to drop her to the train station. I didn't fancy meeting any angry dogs on this run, /so I did 3 laps of the circuit near where we were staying. This included the really steep drag up to the chapel each time. I felt it in my legs, I can tell you. I was going to do a 4th lap but I was a bit tight for time. We wanted to do a Waterfall Trail in the Apennines but Ian had to catch a train at 12:30 to meet Claire for their flight to London so we needed to start early. The trail started quite high up in the mountains, which sadly were again shrouded in a heavy mist, and moved along a forest path. We had to cross over several streams/rivers and the trail was tricky enough to follow. Unfortunately we made a mistake in the navigation and ended up too high on the forest path so we missed the main waterfall but it was still a very enjoyable walk. I'd like to go back and do it again on a nice day.

Friday:
    Run intervals 1:02:00 11.13 km (5:34 / km)

3.24km @ 5:53/k
    1min @ 4:19
    2min @ 4:13
    3min @ 4:11
    3min @ 4:14
    2min @ 3:59
    1min @ 3:49
    3.29 km @ 5:46/k

Back in Ireland and up early to get this done before work because if I left it till afterwards it wouldn't be done. My legs have been really tired the last couple of days. Even going up a flight of stairs feels tough. This went well though. I'm half thinking of doing a 10k race Monday week so I wanted to see what a bit of speed work would feel like. The first 2 were controlled. I jogged the recoveries which were equal time to the reps but the next three reps were tougher and I walked the first minute of each recovery. I don't know if I'll do the race or not. My pb is around 42:30 and I am so far away from that.

Sunday:
    Bike warm up/down 48:10 17.54 km (21.8 kph)

Bike 2:37:24 73.57 km (28.0 kph) +248m
    ahr:124 max:173
    The first hour was easy because we were with the B group. When they left us it was ok for a while until it exploded and we were motoring. And then the last half hour was flat to the boards. There was a big group of us though and we were rolling through well so it was more short bursts of intensity than a long sustained effort

Run tempo 36:52 7.32 km (5:02 / km)
    ahr:164 max:183
    I was conscious that my run volume is poor this week and I was actually going to do a long run instead of going out on the bike but I didn't so as soon as I got back from the bike I drank a protein shake and headed back out the door again. I wanted to do 9 miles to bring my weekly total up to 20 but I did my first mile at 8:20 pace. My heart rate was >160 (it peaked at 183 at the end of the first mile) and my legs were not impressed so I decided to shorten the run but keep the effort high so it was like a kind of a tempo.

Totals (Last 4 weeks)
    Wk4|Miles|Km
    Run|16 |26
    Walk|27|44
    Bike|57|91

Wk3|Miles|Km
    Run|29 |46
    Walk|14|23
    Bike|Turbo

Wk2|Miles|Km
    Run|20 |33
    Walk|8|12
    Bike|116|186

Wk1|Miles|Km
    Run|13.1 |21.1
    Walk|20|32
    Bike|82|132

May 27th - Jun 2nd

Tuesday:

Run tempo 57:41 7.0 mi (8:14 / mi)

1m easy @8:56
    2m tempo in 15:51 (8:17, 7:34)
    1m easy @8:53
    2m tempo in 14:26 (7:14, 7:12)
    1m easy @9:33

This was a mistake. I should have done an easy easy run but I didn't have a concrete plan in my head when I set off and my legs felt good. It was actually going ok until I got carried away with the second set of tempo miles. They were into a headwind and I was working WAY too hard. This session left me knackered for the rest of the week.

Thursday:

Bike race 43:15 26.0 km (36.1 kph)

I was in Celbridge for work and then I popped over to Athy for this bike race. It's part of a summer league but I didn't do it last week because I didn't get home from work in time. There was 3 of us from the club in the A5 race (out of a total of 12)myself, my brother and Paul. I was the only woman. Each lap was 13k and we did 2 and then the finish was up a small hill. Racing is very different to a group ride. Lots of little accelerations that you have to react to while constantly trying to save energy. My legs didn't feel brilliant at the start and I had to work harder than I wanted to stay on wheels but I kind of settled into it. Just after the start of the second lap a rider went about 100m clear and Paul sprinted to bridge the gap and shouted at John and I to follow which we did. It was a big effort from me and it turned out to be a waste because the others soon closed us down. About 1.5km from the finish we turned a left hand bend and the field sprinted. We were all towards the back. John accelerated with the others and Paul jumped on his wheel but I couldn't jump on Paul's wheel and I got dropped. John finished 3rd and Paul 4th and I was last. Well I would have been last but one of the guys who was up front got a really nasty fall near the finish and there was a crowd of people around him and I passed a guy who had slowed to see what was happening. I like racing my bike :)

Friday:

Run 40:00 6.23 km (6:25 / km)

This was a recovery run before work. I would have been just as happy with an extra hour in bed but I need to do more than 2 days running this week. I really need more days in the week to fit everything in!

Saturday:

Run 1:41:43 11.0 mi (9:15 / mi)

My head was willing but my legs were not. The first few miles were a mental battle and the last few miles were a slog. I was really really tired Saturday evening

Sunday:

Bike warm up/down 57:43 18.32km
    Bike long 2:43:12 76.26 km (28.0 kph)

This was super hard. The first third was hilly and my legs were dead. The second third we were rolling through and averaging 39kph. It was a tailwind but you have to concentrate really hard and then the last third was horrendous as it was into a really strong wind. I didn't eat anything on the bike today. I had a SIS bar in my pocket but I didn't feel like it when we stopped after the hills. I think maybe this added to my hardship :rolleyes:

Totals
    Run: 22 miles
    Bike: 120 km
    Walk: 15 km

Moyne 10k

Run race 46:22 10.0 km (4:38 / km) vdot: 43.7

I wasn't going to do this but I was feeling guilty because it's our club race and then John asked me to pace him around in 46 min. Legs didn't feel too bad this morning and I had a really good sleep so I said I'd give it a go. We met another guy from the bike club there who said he was going to run with us as well. First km was a bit fast (4:28.3) but it's slightly downhill into the village. Second km was spot on (4:36.6). I felt ok. John was alongside me and he seemed comfortable enough. We traded places a couple of times with another lady until halfway through the third km we passed her and didn't see her again. There was a bit of a headwind along here but the pace was steady (4:34.6). The fourth km has a slight uphill drag and John was under a bit of pressure here. The pace dropped but the effort was the same (4:45.1) Up ahead there was a woman in a Dundrum singlet who became my target. I was feeling good along here but John was suffering a bit. His breathing was becoming more ragged. We went through 5k (4:36.7)in around 23 min so on target but John said he was going to drop back to 5:10 pace because he didn't feel good. I tried to encourage him but he'd made up his mind. The other guy from the bike club was still with me and I wanted to beat that Dundrum woman so I stayed going. It was quite humid now so it was great to grab a cup of water, take a sip and throw the rest down my back. We passed the Dundrum woman in the 6th km (4:35.4) and there was now 2 guys about 30m ahead of us up the road. I was still feeling ok. 7th km (4:42.7) We turned out onto a long stretch of road where the wind is a pain. We were catching the 2 guys but not enough to offer any shelter from the wind. It was a big effort now and I was trying to tell myself stupid things to keep my going like less than 2 miles less than 15 min. I caught the 2 guys in front and I was tucked in behind one of them. It actually didn't feel any easier but at least it gave me something to focus on. We went through the 8th km (4:38.7) and then I kind of lost my head because I thought we were nearer the turn to home than we were and I stopped to a walk. The guy from the bike club passed me and then gave me a backwards glance before continuing on with the other 2 guys. I think I only walked for about 20 sec because I had a look around and I could see the Dundrum runner coming on and that got me running again. It felt like I was barely moving when I started off again and I was sure she was going to pass me but then I got a bit of a rhythm going. 9th km (5:05.2) We were passing lots of walkers now which took my mind off the pain but I could hear Dundrum people encouraging the woman behind me so I had to try and keep the effort up. We reached the track and in my confusion I went in the wrong gate and nearly took out two guys who were already finished before I got to the track for the final 300m. I think the Dundrum woman was about 30 - 50m behind me. I could hear the commentator talking about her. I was about halfway up one side of the track and he said she had 300m to go. I was hurting in the last 200m but I've been here before and I made myself keep pushing and it was a great feeling crossing the line and knowing I gave all I had on the day. Last km
    (4:18.4) The first thing I did then was lie down in a heap on the grass. I would have stayed there for a good while but random people were asking if I was ok and then our sprint coach came on with water so I made myself get up. A few minutes later John crossed the line. Not sure of his time because he turned off his watch and we didn't wait around to check the results.

I'm pretty happy with that after a tough week. Not the time but the effort. There's a local duathlon on Sat Jun 15th 2.5k run/20k bike/2.5k run. I want to try and win this so my training for the next two weeks is going to be structured around it. The ladies record is 63 min.

Jun 3rd - Jun 9th

Monday:

Moyne 10k - 46:22 (see above)

Wednesday:

Bike: intervals on the turbo followed by a 3k run @ 4:57/k to get me used to running off the bike ahr:165 max:176
    HR was too high for the pace. I think I'm not fully recovered from the weekend

Thursday:

Bike: The club has a league going. Usually it's on a Tuesday night but tonight was Thursday. It's been going for a few weeks but this is the first one I've done because I'm usually not home in time from Dublin. Tonight was 2 laps of 10.5k. It's a handicap race so the weaker riders are let off with either a 30 second or 1 min gap. There was 4 groups tonight. Myself and Harry were let off first. Harry is 72 and he's amazing. He complains all the time about his legs and then promptly drops everybody :) 30 seconds later was Aiden and Angela. Next group had my brother John and 3 others and then the two strongest were in the last group.
    Harry and I set off and I was struggling to hold his wheel for the first few minutes until we turned onto the main road and headed uphill. I led up the hill keeping my heart rate around 165. From the top of the hill we started to work really well together, each taking our turn in the wind and keeping the pace high. We completed the first lap in 19:21 (32.8kph) The others caught us at the bottom of the second hill with about 7km to go. Afterwards they said they could see us ahead for about 8km but they couldn't close the gap to us. There was 5 of them and only 2 of us but they weren't working together because they were all trying to sit in as much as possible. Angela had been dropped and they tried to drop us when they caught us but they couldn't. (It's very ruthless this club league :D) I was feeling good and maybe I spent too much time up the front but I was trying to keep the pace high because I knew when they accelerated if I was too far back I wouldn't keep up. I didn't have anything when we sprinted for the line but I finished 6th so I scored some points. Harry was 7th, Aiden won and John was 2nd. It was a lot of fun
    Bike race 38:08 20.9 km (32.9 kph)
    ahr:161 max:175
    Bike warm up/down 90 min 35km

Saturday:
    John and I did run/bike/run as a practice for the duathlon consisting of a lap of the bog, back to the house grab bikes, change shoes cycle 19k, back to the house drop the bikes and head out for another lap of the bog. The plan was to keep the pace steady on the first run, flat out on the bike, flat out on the last run and it sort of worked out like that. We had a narrow escape with a tractor on the bikes but apart from that it all went to plan. I felt really confident after it. I think I can break the course record in the duathlon
    Total time including transitions 1:03:43
    Run 13:07 2.84 km (4:37 / km) includes transition 1
    ahr:168
    Bike 37:55 19.12 km (30.3 kph) includes transition 2
    ahr:159
    Run 12:41 2.85 mi (4:27 / mi)
    ahr:171

I had to go to Romania on Sunday for a conference so I was going to miss my long bike. I needed to go to the bike shop so I decided to cycle there. The way out was grand but the way home there was a cursed headwind and my average pace dropped from 28kph to 25kph :(
    Bike long 3:13:25 80.35 km (24.9 kph)

Sunday:

Early flight to Bucharest. I walked about 10k around the city in the afternoon. Half of that was around the outskirts of a nature reserve. The city is not one of my favourites but all the people that I met were lovely.

Totals

activity| # | time | miles | km
    Bike |3 | 6:31:30 |96.69 | 155.6
    Walk |2 |2:30:00 |9.73 |15.66
    Run |3 |1:45:02 | 14.56 | 23.43
    Total |6 |10:46:32|120.97 | 194.68

Jun 10th - 16th

Monday:

Run 58:06 10.0 km (5:49 / km)

Up at 5:30am to get this done because I knew I wouldn't have time otherwise. I did 2 laps of outside of the nature reserve. I met a couple of other runners. Our conference was in the Parliament Palace. It's the second largest government building in the world, after The Pentagon in Washington. It's worth over 3 billion dollars and every year it costs 6 million dollars to light and heat it. Construction started on it in the 1980's at the behest of the Communist leader Nicolai Ceaucescu. After the revolution in 1989 work continued and it was completed in 1997. It's beautifully decorated inside.

Tuesday:
    I woke up at 5 to get a run done but it was raining and there was a lightning storm so I went back to sleep. Today we were taken out of the city (the traffic in Bucharest is a nightmare. It took us 90 min to drive 14km :mad:) and up into the beautiful Carpathian mountains to see the Peles Castle. The Carpathians are the third longest mountain range in Europe and the home of brown bears, wolves, chamois goats and lynxes. We had lunch in a vineyard and then I flew home but my connecting flight in Amsterdam was delayed so I didn't get home till 2a.m

Wednesday:

Run intervals 57:38 10.71 km (5:23 / km)

3.26k warm up in 18:08
    3.93k fartlek in 20:00
    3.53 cool down in 19:30 with 5min uphill tempo

I had the day off and I really enjoyed this run

Friday:

Run 37:00 6.0 km (6:10 / km)

I did this before work because I was thinking my weekly run volume was low. Nice and slow because of the duathlon on Saturday

Saturday:

Rathdowney Duathlon

A local race so I cycled to Rathdowney, racked my bike and registered with about an hour to spare :rolleyes: My goals for this race were to win and break the course record but at the start I saw a couple of really fast runners from Ballyroan, one of whom won this race last year and has the course record and my clubmate Angela who's pretty handy on the bike. At my fittest I think I'd be able to match her on the run but in the Moyne 10k a couple of weeks ago she beat me by about 5 minutes so I'm nowhere near her level at the moment. In my favour she raced a 5k on Friday and doesn't have clip on shoes for the bike. I've been thinking about this all week. There's bound to be faster runners than me here because it's well supported by Ballyroan AC but runners are not strong bikers unless they've been bike training and I think I have got very strong on the bike. So if I can bike 10 sec/km faster thats giving me over 3 minutes so that's where I'm going to have to win the race, on the bike.

Run 1
    An out and back with a fast start as the road slopes downhill and then climbs up before levelling off. I started behind Angela and kept her in my sights through the town. My plan before the race was to keep to 4:30/k pace so I wasn't knackered on the bike but that didn't happen. When I glanced at my watch on the uphill bit it was showing 3:xx but I was too stubborn to slow down because Angela and 2 women from Ballyroan were 20 - 30 metres in front of me. I decided I'd just run it by effort. Try not to let the girls gap me too much but not go too far into the red either. As well as trying to win the womens race I also wanted to beat my cycling club mates especially W who'd paced off me in the Moyne 10k. He was just up the road ahead of me and I knew if I could finish near him on the bike, I'd be stronger on the second run
    Run 11:21 2.88 km (3:56 / km)

Trans1 0:47
    The 2 Ballyroan women and Angela finished the run between 10 - 20 seconds ahead of me. None of them were wearing bike shoes so they were going to be quicker than me through transition. I knew I was going to catch them on the bike but I needed a gap for the second run so helmet on, quick change of shoes aided by the lock laces I bought during the week, grab my bike, run through the gantry and off we go

Bike
    Straight away I could see the second Ballyroan woman about 200m up the road. This was my first target. I think I can measure my effort pretty well on the bike now so I can go as hard as possible. I passed her going up the hill out of Rathdowney and further up the road I could see Angela and the other Ballyroan woman cycling together. As I got nearer I could see W ahead of them. At the start of the next hill I was right behind the girls so I pulled wide and accelerated past them. Sorry peeps no room for passengers :) My next target was W. He's strong on the bike though. In the club league he starts with the scratch group. Everytime I tried to accelerate away from him he passed me again. At the time he was annoying me, cause he was drafting off me on the hills but in hindsight it was good to have him there because it meant I kept my effort super high. We went round the roundabout and headed back up the Manor Stone hill. Shortly after one of our clubmates Paul passed screaming at us for drafting. I was like fukc you I'm working as hard as I can here and I'm sure as hell not sitting in behind letting W pull me along :mad: W tried to accelerate away from me on the run back into Rathdowney but I stayed with him. I stupidly thought we were finished in Rathdowney so I started to loosen my shoes and slow for the dismount. Then I remembered we had another loop to do through the town. FUKC. W gained about 30m on me because of that stupid mistake. It took me about a km to make up that ground again and then John came flying past me. That gave me a new lease of life and as I accelerated to go after John I passed W. I could see John up the road. He went by Paul, then Paul went by John, accused John of drafting off him and then when John immediately passed him sat in behind him all the way back up through the town :rolleyes: There was a little traffic jam coming into Rathdowney that we had to slow for which cost us maybe 5 or 10 seconds but I jumped off my bike 2 seconds ahead of W and over 4 minutes faster than Angela and the Ballyroan woman
    Bike 34:29 19.1 km(33.2 kph)

Trans 2 0:40
    John and Paul were just in transition ahead of me. Racked my bike, helmet off, out of bike shoes into trainers and out through the gantry about 5 seconds behind Paul.

Run 2
    I passed Paul at the bottom of the town and he had another go at me about drafting. I didn't have much spare breath but I basically told him to STFU and then I went by him. My legs were like jelly. On the way up the hill Angela and the Ballyroan woman passed on their way back in on the bikes. I knew I had a bit of a cushion but I wasn't feeling brilliant and I definitely needed to push as hard as I could. I went round the cone and saw W was not too far behind me. A little further on I saw the Ballyroan woman and about 10 seconds back was Angela. The next 500m was a battle. Trying not to slow down. Then I got started the downhill run and I knew I wouldn't be passed. I made my way up the little hill and turned into the finish, feeling euphoric when I saw the time on the clock 59:14 :D I finished 1st woman, 3rd overall and beat the women's course record by 3:48. I also beat all the men in my cycling club :D
    Run 11:59 2.79 km (4:18 / km)

Sunday:

Bike warm up/down 49:05 17.52 km (21.4 kph)
    Bike 2:46:31 75.05 km (27.0 kph)
    ahr:116 max:163

Club spin. Nice and easy for a change because the fast men weren't out. Legs were tired starting off. They loosened out but when we sprinted at the end they felt a bit dead.

activity|#|time|miles|km
    Bike|2|4:49:56|79.47|127.89
    Run|4|3:16:04|22.29|35.88
    Walk|2| 2:30:00|8.73|14.05
    Total| 6|10:36:00| |

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Been waiting to read about that duathlon, massive well done on the win Kate and smashing the course record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Well done!

Is it not okay to draft in a race? Sounds sure loser-ish to be complaining

OOnegative wrote: »
    Been waiting to read about that duathlon, massive well done on the win Kate and smashing the course record.

Thanks Barry :D

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Well done!

Is it not okay to draft in a race? Sounds sure loser-ish to be complaining

Thanks. Drafting is usually not allowed in amateur duathlon/tri. There are a few draft legal but it usually states it. My conscience is clear though. I did all I could not to draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Savage performance you just went after it. Not settling on a win you knew you would get off the bike but a Chrissie Wellington approach to the guys too. Awesome and well done. Enjoyed that report Kate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Super read, that. Well done indeed, great performance. You really know how to motivate yourself in a race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great read and racing. Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

First time to read your log. Brilliant effort and report. I'm guessing the cycle stats should be in kilometres as well. 33 mph would have you as a world class cyclist!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Really enjoyed that read. Not just a top class race report, bit of travelogue thrown in too. TbL has a bit of competition on that front!

Savage performance you just went after it. Not settling on a win you knew you would get off the bike but a Chrissie Wellington approach to the guys too. Awesome and well done. Enjoyed that report Kate!

Aw thanks Mike. That's such a compliment. I know how highly you rate Chrissie Wellington :D

Murph_D wrote: »
    Super read, that. Well done indeed, great performance. You really know how to motivate yourself in a race!
    Thanks Denis

Singer wrote: »
    Great read and racing. Congrats!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it

skyblue46 wrote: »
    First time to read your log. Brilliant effort and report. I'm guessing the cycle stats should be in kilometres as well. 33 mph would have you as a world class cyclist!

Haha yes good spot. Definitely kph :o

Really enjoyed that read. Not just a top class race report, bit of travelogue thrown in too. TbL has a bit of competition on that front!

I have a long way to go to match TbL :)

Jun 17th - Jun 23rd

Tuesday:
    Run 40:10 7.0 km (5:44 / km)

The inside of my right knee has been sore for the last couple of days. I think it's an overuse injury from the bike when my quads have to work too hard. The Vastus medius oblique was sore. Anyway I didn't feel anything running but I was supposed to race my bike this evening in Corkagh Park and I decided not to bother

Wednesday:
    Run 55:58 9.0 km (6:13 / km)

Knee was better but my right hamstring was sore after this so I did 10 minutes hamstring specific core work in the evening. The next day both hamstrings were sore. Finally it dawns on me .... this is my body telling me I need to rest. So I took two days where I just walked

Saturday:

Run tempo 1:57:16 [5] 21.2 km (5:32 / km)

9:18, 8:41
    7:34
    8:44
    7:35, 7:42
    10:49, 9:23
    7:33
    9:31
    7:21
    10:42, 10:22, 1:54

I mixed up the paces on this alternating easy and tempo miles but I made it a lot harder than it was supposed to be by running the first 6 miles too fast. Well the first mile was good but the next five the tempo miles were too fast and the easy miles weren't easy enough and it was all just a bit messy. It was super hot and I got sunburnt and then I had a headache all afternoon. Not one of my finest sessions but on the plus side I'm not injured and I got a good workout:D I had planned a long bike for today but it was spilling rain and the forecast was bad so I stayed in bed. I think it was for the best anyway as I could do with the recovery time.

The exciting news from this week is I've joined a Swedish team to race Itera in August. I'm actually beyond excited :D Less than 7 weeks to go .... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

activity| #|time|miles|km
    Walk |4| 4:30:00|16.18| 26.05
    Run| 3|3:33:24|23.12|37.2
    S&C| 1|10:00|
    Total|6|8:13:24 | 39.3|63.25

• Advertisement

Jun 24th - Jun 30th

Tuesday:

Run: 40:00 4.0 mi (10:00 / mi)
    Easy run before work. Last mile was at 8:40 pace as I was a bit tight for time

Bike race 32:13 19.03 km (35.4 kph) + 42k wu/cd
    ahr:166 max:173

OCC league Cullohill - urlingford

Club league again. I got a good warm up done. There was 8 of us out tonight. Willie (from the duathlon :))and myself went off first with a 1min advantage over John, Paul and Jack who had one minute over Keith, Aidan and David. It was 9.5k to the roundabout in Urlingford and back. We were working super hard from the off. The wind was behind us on the way into Urlingford and we were rolling through well. I was finding it a little hard to stay on Willie's wheel at times when he went in front but after a few k I settled into it. We flew round the roundabout and then bam into the headwind and the effort quadrupled. The second group had gained about 30seconds on us. I knew if they caught us that's me bumped down to 5th place because they'd all outsprint me in the finish so I was prepared to work my ass off to keep Willie and myself out front. Willie was still rolling through but he was saving himself as well because he wanted the win. When we'd gone through Johnstown the wind wasn't as bad. Willie tried to drop me on one of the hills. He almost managed it but I think he'd underestimated how hard he'd have to work to stay clear and after maybe half a k I got back on. I made a mistake here because I should have sat behind him but I was afraid the others would catch us and I rolled through. On the last hill Willie sprinted past me and beat me by a couple of seconds. The league is best of 8 races and I've missed a lot of them so my goal for tonight was just to get a really hard workout and I wasn't focused on winning so The league is best of 8 races and I've missed a lot of them so my goal for tonight was just to get a really hard workout. I wasn't focused on winning so I was happy with 2nd but I was thinking after maybe I settled for second too easily.

Thursday:
    Run 46:24 7.4 km (6:16 / km)
    Easy run before work. I'm trying not to overdo it but at the same time do as much as possible. It's a fine line :rolleyes:

Bike turbo (v02 max intervals) 1:10:00
    ahr:122 max:166

These were good

Saturday:

Run warm up/down 25:00 4.0 km (6:15 / km)
    Run 22:38 [4] 5.0 km (4:32 / km)

My brother asked me to pace him around Templemore parkrun. His pb round here is 23:20 and he wanted to go for 22:30. There was about 65 people out and we started near the front. It's a nice course but probably not the fastest. A few turns and a few hills just knock you out of your rhythm. We went through the first mile in 7:19 a few seconds of pace but I was happy with it. The watch loses signal a lot with the trees so you kind of have to go by effort. We were tracking this guy and I thought it was perfect but John suddenly accelerated and overtook him and it took me a while to catch back up with him. At the time I thought you shouldn't have done that, too much effort and I don't know if that caused it or just the pace was too hot but about a km later John blew up and dropped off me. There wasn't much point in slowing with him so I just kept going. A nice man passed me with about a km to go (he was very encouraging as he passed :D) and then with about 300m to go this guy tries to sprint past me. EH I don't think so! Flat out sprint to the line to hold him off :D

Bike 3:50:13 102.0 km (26.6 kph)

A magical mystery tour of the back roads of Laois and Kilkenny. It was enjoyable but I ran out of water near the end and I dropped my cliff bar while getting a lovely draft from a tractor so I stopped in at my brother's after 86k to get a refill and a banana and a chocolate bar :D Legs were tired near the end. Rest day tomorrow!!

Weekly totals
    activity | # |time| miles| km
    Bike| 2|6:11:18| 101.39| 163.17
    Walk|5|5:20:00|18.91| 30.44
    Run| 3| 2:14:02|14.19|22.84
    Bike turbo |1|1:10:00
    Total |6|14:55:20| 134.49|216.44

Jul 1st - Jul 7th:

I was in Bulgaria this week doing a course for work. My plan was to take the week as a recovery week and do the HM in Cahir on Saturday but sadly circumstances conspired against me and if I could sum up the week in one word it would be FRUSTRATING :(

Monday:
    S&C 10min
    3* (10 Bulgarian split squats, 10 single leg deadlifts, 10 front squats)

I flew into Frankfurt on Sunday and even though I had a 3 hour stop over I managed to miss my connecting flight to Sofia. This was not totally my fault. They changed the damn gate twice and I wasn't paying enough attention. I stayed the night in an apartment near the airport but there was no where to even walk, just endless lanes of traffic so I just did some core work before I headed back to the airport.

Tuesday:

Run (Treadmill) 30min 5.4 km (5:33 / km)

Early morning run in the gym. There was one treadmill, one bike and a few weights. I assumed because it was a 24hr gym that there would be towels and water. There was a water machine but no cups and no towels and I couldn't be bothered going back to my room so this was not the most fun run I've ever had. Also my hamstrings were really sore from the tiny bit of core work I did yesterday

Wednesday:

S&C 5min
    2*10 press ups
    50 sit ups

I was tired because I didn't sleep so well and we had to get a bus at 7:30 to take us to a farm so I just did 5 min of core. My hamstrings were still sore. Later in the evening I went for a walk around the hotel but as the nearest park was about 3 miles away and it was super warm, I didn't get to see much. My German colleague also went for a walk and he had a much more exciting time. I don't know where he went but he was chased by three dogs into a dead end with a wall at his back. The dogs went into pack formation ready for the kill and he only had a back pack to defend himself with. He was barely managing to keep them at bay when he was saved by a local who had to throw rocks at the dogs to scare them off. That story made me not so anxious to go out exploring on my own.

Thursday:

Run (treadmill) 40:22 7.0 km (5:46 / km)

I was better prepared this morning. Towel, water and headphones made this run go much faster. Hamstrings were also way better. In the evening we had a short tour of Sofia. It's a nice city, lots of churches and ancient ruins and it's situated at the foot of the Vitosha mountains which look like a fantastic place to explore. Unfortunately for me I had no time as my course ran from 8:30am to 6:30pm every day

Friday:

Bike: 50min

With the HM tomorrow I wanted to give my legs a chance so I just used the bike in the gym. I tried to do some intervals but the seat on the bike didn't make it easy. The flight from Sofia to Frankfurt was delayed. If you've ever been in Frankfurt airport you'll know that it is a hell hole and a very large hell hole at that. You have to get a bus from the plane to the terminal. Our bus was delayed because President Michael D. Higgins was departing in his personal Aer Lingus jet and there was a big ceremony on the runway. This meant I only had 20 minutes to get through security to my gate. Despite sprinting the gate had just closed when I got there. The plane was outside but they wouldn't let us on even though there was 5 of us in the same situation. One of the others was a lady from Dublin who lives in Cyprus and she was raging as she was flying back to Cyprus on Sunday. By the time I'd sorted my flights out, got to my hotel and had dinner it was nearly midnight and I had to be up again at 4am. The direct flight to Dublin was sold out so I had to fly to Zurich and then to Dublin arriving at 10:50. The HM started at noon :mad: I thought about going for a run when I got home but it was raining and I had zero motivation

Sunday:

S&C 10min
    3*30sec plank 30sec rec
    20 bird dog 2 sec pause
    10 leg raises
    15 bike kicks

Run tempo 30min 6.05 km (4:58 / km)

Bike turbo (v02 max intervals) 45min
    ahr:140 max:167

The zero motivation trend continued today. I couldn't be bothered setting my alarm to get up for the club bike but I salvaged something from the day by forcing myself out the door for a tempo run and then on to the trainer for some intervals. I also did some core work before breakfast.

Weekly totals:
    activity |# | time| miles |km
    Run |3| 1:40:22 |11.46 | 18.45 |
    Bike turbo |2 | 1:35:00| |
    Walk |1 |1:00:00 |5.5 | 8.85 |
    S&C|3 | 25:00 |
    Total || | 16.96 | 27.3

Frankfurt airport is meh alight
    Tempo
    Reps
    Core

Not bad from such an unmotivated start!

Frankfurt airport is meh alight
    Tempo
    Reps
    Core

Not bad from such an unmotivated start!
    Ya I just felt guilty because I didn't do a long run or a long bike and I had planned to do both :o

Jul 8th - Jul 14th:

Tuesday:

Run 36:30 7.0 km (5:13 / km)

Bike warm up/down 1:30:19 37.0 km (24.6 kph)
    Bike race 36:26 21.0 km (34.6 kph)
    ahr:158 max:175

Early morning run. The pace is fast so I must have felt good but I can't remember too much more about it. The bike race was in the evening. It was another round of our club league. We were going to do it on the main road but the surface is rubbish so it was decided that we'd do it on the loop I raced a few weeks back. It's two laps and as usual I was in the first group but this time with Harry. The last time I was with Harry we held off the chasers for a long time and I finished 6th but that wasn't going to happen tonight for two reasons. 1) Harry was not feeling great 2) Martin, who races with the A2s was in the scratch group.
    It took Harry a couple of minutes to catch me after we'd been let go and that was with me waiting for him and then he wasn't willing or able to work with me. After the first hill my tactics quickly changed and I decided to not kill myself and be ready when we were caught to go with the other group. It's quite hard to hear the bikes coming up on you from behind but about three quarters of the way through the first lap I was in front and I just saw Jack coming up out of the corner of my eye and I was able to sprint hard and keep with the group as they passed. They were flying it because the scratch group had caught the group that was one minute behind Harry and I and unfortunately Harry got dropped. I was getting towed along nicely. I took one turn out the front but after that I was out the back. Going up the hill Martin was behind me and he accelerated to the front and we never got near him again. Keith tried to go with him but couldn't. It got very competitive in the last few kilometers. Jack tried to make a break for it with about 400m to go. He got about 50m on the group but when Paul and John started to sprint that quickly started to diminish. I was able to jump on to Paul's wheel as soon as he started to go and I got a lovely run in. Paul was second, John was third and I just beat Jack by half a bike wheel to finish fourth. So much fun :D

Thursday:

Run 40:00 6.78 km (5:54 / km)

I was tired and my throat was sore.

Saturday:

Run 1:29:57 10.0 mi (9:00 / mi)

Last mile @7:51

My throat has been sore all week and I've been coughing up a lot of phlegm so I've been trying to take it easy and just do the bare minimum this week. I really felt like I needed to make an effort to get a longish run done this week though. Even though I had a nice long sleep, I still didn't feel great before I went out but this felt surprisingly ok and I picked up the pace for the last mile without too much effort.

Sunday:

Bike hills 5:24:00 135.5 km (25.1 kph) +1200m
    ahr:123 max:177

We got a text saying there was no group ride because Laois were playing in the hurling today so John and I arranged to meet at 8am. I wanted to get 100k done although I didn't feel great when I woke. I think the run yesterday made my throat a bit worse. Still I figured a bike ride wouldn't do too much more damage. I've been doing a few minutes core work every day this week except for yesterday. I do it while I'm waiting for my porridge to cook. It's mostly ab stuff and sometimes like this morning I have the added bonus of my cat lying on my stomach while I'm doing bicycle kicks and leg lowers :D
    I wanted to do some hills on the bike so we headed out towards Cullohill. On the way we learned that there was going to be a group ride at 10 so we thought we'd go up Cullohill mountain, do a loop around Gathabawn and then head back into town to meet the others. We raced up three gnarly hills and then because we missed our turn back to Cullohill we ended up in Lisdowney and had to climb another steep hill to get back to Durrow. By now it was 9:35 and we had 25 minutes to do the 16k back to town. That meant serious effort but luckily no hills and we made it back just as the group was about to leave. John and I had done 55k at this stage and none of it was easy.
    Next Sunday the club are hosting a 100k and 50k sportive so the others were planning to do the first 60k of the 100k. Unfortunately this meant more hills. These were done at a much more leisurely pace but with the heat it was still a tough ride. I'm supposed to be doing a bike race in Corkagh park next Tuesday. The club are hosting it. Paddy was giving out to me for trashing my legs but I only have 5 weeks to ITERA and that's more important

activity | # | time| miles| km|
    Bike| 2 | 7:30:45 |120.24 | 193.5|
    Walk| 4| 4:00:00 | 15.46 |24.87
    Run |3 | 2:46:27| 18.56|9.87
    Core |6| 45:00 |
    Total |7| 15:02:12| 154.25| 248.25|

So on the recent look of things you will be bike fit and you are always strong running and marching up hills. Any plans to hit the water over the next 5 weeks? :D I am literally green. Can't wait to track your team but boy would I love to be there with you!

So on the recent look of things you will be bike fit and you are always strong running and marching up hills. Any plans to hit the water over the next 5 weeks? :D I am literally green. Can't wait to track your team but boy would I love to be there with you!

The kayaking is my Achilles heel as usual ;) Haven't any plans to hit the water before ITERA. I don't think one or two sessions will make much of a difference at this stage. James Thurlow sent an email today saying that there's going to be around 100k in the boats so my plan is to just suffer through it :D

Although I have a new paddle which is super light and thus should make me super efficient :D

Jul 15th - Jul 21st

Tuesday:

AM: Bike (Mtb) 51:30 19.12 km (22.3 kph)

Paddy told me to do 20k easy on Monday to spin out the legs after the 135k on Sunday but I was busy in work and had to get a late train home and then I couldn't be bothered so I did this on the mountain bike on Tuesday morning. Killing two birds with one stone because I wanted to see how the mountain bike was riding before I dropped it into the bike shop for a service

PM: Bike race in Corkagh Park
    Bike warm up/down 40:00 15.0 km (22.5 kph)

Bike race 25:48 15.32 km (35.6 kph)
    ahr:163 max:178

This race is part of the league they have for women every Tuesday night. It's been running since May but this is the first one I've done because it's a trek up to Corkagh Park and we've had our own league. Our bike club was hosting this race tonight though so there was a good few up from the club.

I was in the B race and Angela from the club was in the A race. The B race go for 20 minutes and then have 3 laps whereas the A group go for 25 minutes and then have 3 laps. I did a good warm up to get used to the track and at 7pm we were all ready to go. The B race was split into 3 groups. The first group which I was in, had beginners and riders who were not in good form. There was 13 of us and we started first. 30 seconds later the next group of 2 started followed 33 seconds by the third group of 3.

I started in about second position but I made an ass of clipping in and soon found myself towards the back of the group. I was able to make up the ground I lost pretty easily though and going past the finish post for the first time I was in about 3rd or 4th position. I kept this position for the next few laps. I felt like out of the all the group at the front I was cornering the best so I decided as we were coming up the home straight on maybe the 7 or 8 lap that I'd just inject a little bit of pace in and see what happened. By pure coincidence the stewards decided that this next lap would be the sprint lap (first past the post on this lap wins a prize) so as I accelerated over the line I heard Sprint Lap, Sprint Lap. I immediately decided to keep accelerating because I knew if I could get a gap I could extend it around the corners and it would be very hard to catch me. And that's pretty much what happened and I won the Sprint Lap.

I was in a bit of a quandary now though because 1) I needed to recover and 2) I was a good bit in front but I didn't fancy trying to ride to the finish on my own. And this is where I got very lucky because one of the B racers was late arriving and she had just joined the race before the sprint lap so she was on her own. I managed to recover and then bridge across to her. Next time we past the finish they called 3 laps to go. I was sitting on her wheel and I had taken a few looks around to see where the others were and they were still a bit back. I could feel them closing in the last lap though so the at the bottom of the track the last time I overtook the woman in front of me. I could feel someone right behind me and we were about to lap the two women who were in the third group to start. Coming around the bottom bend I had to go wide to overtake them but I started my sprint and I was strong all the way to the line. As well as winning the race and the sprint lap, I also got awarded 'Most Aggressive Rider' so I came home with lots of prizes and Angela was 4th in the A race :D
    Video https://vimeo.com/348644358?ref=fb-share&1

Wednesday:

Run: 35 min 5.5k (6:22/k)

Early morning recovery run. Was going to do more but I ran out of time

Thursday:

Run 40:00 7.05 km (5:40 / km)

Bike warm up/down 1:55:15 43.63km
    Bike race 28:47 16.47 km (34.3 kph)
    ahr:157 max:172

I had the day off so I got a good bit done today. I was a bit tired though so I didn't run that far but then I decided to do the club league and I ended up doing a really long warm up and having to peg it back to town to make the start on time. There was only 4 of us so we just kept rolling through until the last bit when it was a flat out sprint which I came off the worst in

Saturday:

Walk 3:50:00 21.5 km (10:42 / km)
    I had planned on doing a duathlon but I didn't get up in time. I had a much more enjoyable morning though because I met up with Sean, who I haven't seen since ITERA in 2016 and we went for a hike around The Leafy Loop in Durrow. The rain stayed away and we finished off with lunch in my favourite cafe in Durrow

Bike (Mtb) 51:00 19.15 km (22.5 kph)
    I collected my mountain bike from the shop and took it out for a spin. It's making a bit of a noise which I'm not super happy about. I think I'll take it out again next week and if I'm still not happy I'll take it back in to the shop. I have to go back to collect some lights anyway

Sunday:

Bike warm up/down 43:51 14.8 km (20.3 kph)
    Bike 3:29:00 100.1 km (28.7 kph) +770m elevation
    ahr:141 max:171

Today the bike club was holding it's annual 100k sportive. This is not a race but it may as well be because everyone just goes off like the clappers. Going through the first road junction after 16k, the lads marshalling said we were doing over 42k/h. I got dropped about 5k later but I got myself into a great little group of 4 and we were working really well together until the start of the hills. The group broke up and myself and another lad went on. We were passing people all the way up the many hills and we were back into the front third when we came to the food stop around 55k in. Unfortunately for me when we restarted, it was a blistering pace again. It was pretty much flat all the way back into town and I don't have the power on the flat. I got dropped again but this time I was on my own for the last 40k. I could have stopped and waited for the group behind but I figured I needed the work so I tried to keep a solid tempo all the way to the finish. As I got nearer the finish I put in a really big effort to finish under the three and a half hours. Last time I did this sportive was in 2016 and it took me 4 hours :D

I didn't get much running done this week. Next week will be run focused.

Weekly totals:
    activity | #| time| miles| km
    Bike |4 |9:25:11 | 151.98 | 244.59
    Walk |4 |6:50:00 |24.54 | 39.5
    Run |2 |1:15:00 |7.8 |12.55
    Core |5 |50:00 | |
    Total |7 |18:20:11|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Nice work on the bike race(s)! Great to have it all on video too! I'm pretty sure I'd win 'most aggressive rider' every evening going up the quays :p . Not sure I could cope with a track race and laps etc though! Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

That looked like fun, almost as good as running, a poor mans track track i guess :)

Advertisement