Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Track again next year K or what you gonna throw at us next? I know nothing about track/sprints but you really seem to enjoy it and like everything else running related, are damn good at it. Looking forward to the progress whatever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Congrats on the national bronze (and another PB). What a year of speed you've had!
    Thanks ya it's been a fun year :D
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Track again next year K or what you gonna throw at us next? I know nothing about track/sprints but you really seem to enjoy it and like everything else running related, are damn good at it. Looking forward to the progress whatever it may be.
    I do enjoy it. I like that it's really technical. There's so much to learn. I think I'll stick with it for another year or two ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done Kate! You've made some great progress over the year, glad to see you're going to stick with it for another season, you've lots more to come off those times, I know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fantastic MadamD.

Brilliant running, well done PB & national medal, super stuff

TbL

Fantastic MadamD.

TbL

• Advertisement

Fantastic MadamD.

TbL
    Fantastic MadamD.

TbL

:rolleyes:

:D

:rolleyes:

:D

So good I said it twice 😉

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, CM. Looks like I’m the only boardsie who went home without any bling! Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Congrats on the medal and pb Kate! Brilliant how you have transitioned from 100+hrs of racing over Indian or African Mountains to 14 secs on the track for some bling! Not a stride broken

Looking forward to following your progress next season. What is it now for sprinters? A winter of gym?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Congrats, CM. Looks like I’m the only boardsie who went home without any bling! Great running.

Thanks. You got a shiny new PB though! Sorry I never got to meet you on Saturday. Good luck with your next block of training

• Advertisement

Congrats on the medal and pb Kate! Brilliant how you have transitioned from 100+hrs of racing over Indian or African Mountains to 14 secs on the track for some bling! Not a stride broken

Looking forward to following your progress next season. What is it now for sprinters? A winter of gym?
    Thanks Mike. Ya it's pretty different from the AR that's for sure :pac:

I'm not too sure ..... I think I'll have to do some reading!!! I'm thinking at the moment that I'm going to keep up the gym work anyway. Might do some karate. And when I start back running in a couple of weeks I'll focus mainly on general endurance and tempo endurance with a few sessions thrown in to keep me in touch with my starting mechanics and a little bit of speed. I don't want to lose the little bit that I've gained :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thanks Mike. Ya it's pretty different from the AR that's for sure :pac:

I'm not too sure ..... I think I'll have to do some reading!!! I'm thinking at the moment that I'm going to keep up the gym work anyway. Might do some karate. And when I start back running in a couple of weeks I'll focus mainly on general endurance and tempo endurance with a few sessions thrown in to keep me in touch with my starting mechanics and a little bit of speed. I don't want to lose the little bit that I've gained :D

I'd recommend taking a full 6 week break. It is as much a mental break as it is a physical break. Get out of the mindset of training for 6 weeks. No gym, no track, no sprint type training. Do some exercise to keep a general fitness, but more things like swimming, Parkruns, hiking, cycling, kayaking or whatever. All sprinters do this. Thomas Barr is on a break now til end of September/ start of October for example. Use the time to have a bit of fun doing things you can't do when you are sprint training.

Well done at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Great stuff CM, I saw you winning your 200 and knew you'd be happy! Well done on your medals. Can't wait to see what you do in the indoors. See you at the NIA Live!

I tore my left hamstring warming up for the 100m at Nationals. It took four weeks to fully heal and it was pretty sore for the first two weeks. My gym coach recommended that I use the L protocol to speed up recovery. It's just a series of exercises that you repeat daily and I followed it religiously for 4 weeks. I found that it also gave me a good indication on how the healing was going because as it healed I had a much better range of motion. I got out of the habit of doing it the last couple of weeks but I need to keep doing it regularly because it's supposed to help prevent injuries as well. I did it today. It only takes 5 minutes but I just have to think of it.
    My gym sessions were also tailored around my hamstring so for the first 4 weeks it was all pretty much upper body work with some hamstring specific stuff. The last two weeks have been upper and lower and the hamstring has felt perfect.
    During the rehab period I was allowed to do any exercise that didn't aggravate the hamstring so in the last 6 weeks I've done a good bit of biking, some hiking, a bit of rockclimbing and some coasteering. The first week on the bike I had to be careful because I tried to do a tempo session and I couldn't keep my heart rate up above 130 so even though I didn't feel stressed, I think I needed a bit of recovery time after the sprinting. The rockclimbing and coasteering was last weekend in Dorset. We were camping and it rained non stop Saturday and Sunday until midday when the sun came out and we got to see the Jurassic coast in all its splendor. I really enjoyed the rockclimbing - because of all the gym work I've been doing, I have really good upper body strength.
    Last week I did a couple of 5 mile trail runs and I had absolutely no issues and this week was my first following a structured plan. My aerobic fitness is abysmal and I'm often quite tired from the gym work so I'm having to be content with my run paces being slow. Very slow in some cases. But it's ok because I'm just building a base ;)

Monday Sep 24
    Run 32:37, 5.83 km (5:36 / km)
    Spin class 45:00 ahr:132 max:171

Tuesday Sep 25
    S&C 1:15:00

Wednesday Sep 26
    Run (Recovery) 40:00 3.0 mi (13:20 / mi)
    ahr:126

Thursday Sep 27
    S&C 50:00

Friday Sep 28
    rhr:40
    Run 35:35 3.7 mi (9:37 / mi)
    Incl 60s hill sprint and 4*20s strides

Saturday Sep 29
    Run (Recovery) 20:00 2.0 mi (10:00 / mi)
    S&C 50:00
    Run (Recovery) 20:03 1.59 mi (12:37 / mi)

Sunday Sep 30
    Run 1:03:35 [3] 6.6 mi (9:38 / mi)
    S&C 5:00 - L protocol
    Trek 1:00:00

Monday Oct 1

Run (Recovery) 21:38 [3] 2.0 mi (10:49 / mi)

Spin class: 45:00
    ahr:132 max:173

Tuesday Oct 2

Run 40:00 4.06 mi (9:51 / mi)
    Incl 6 strides

S&C 1:15:00
    Incl deadlift 4x6 @105kg and front squat 2x5 @ 60kg

Wednesday Oct 3
    Run (Recovery) 21:50 [1] 2.0 mi (10:55 / mi)

Circuit training (Moyne) 1:10:00
    1.5mile warm up
    Drills
    Hurdles
    BW squats
    6*20m sprints

Thursday Oct 4
    (rest day)

Friday Oct 5

S&C 1:00:00
    Incl back squat 4x5 @ 65kg

Run (Recovery) 22:00 2.0 mi (11:00 / mi)

Saturday Oct 6
    Run (2 x 1mile hard, 1mile easy) 36:43 4.0 mi (9:11 / mi)
    ahr:164 max:189

Pace: 7:29, 11:17, 7:04, 10:51
    Av HR: 169, 150, 181, 161

Sunday:
    Run 1:04:09 6.6 mi (9:43 / mi)
    rhr:40

Incl barbell press 2x5 @45kg

Lots of lifting PB's in the gym this week :D I felt really strong doing the strides Tuesday morning. Wednesday evening the club sprint coach asked me to come down to the track. He's a bit miffed with me because I don't train with them that much. A former sprinter was down at the club from Athletics Ireland while I was in England rockclimbing and he was showing them exercises and stuff that they should be doing to get faster. I probably won't be going to too many club sessions though because I prefer doing my own thing and I don't have 100% confidence in what the club coach is doing. I think the guys in the gym that I go to are more knowledgeable and one of them has offered to train me on the track in UL on a Thursday so happy days :D Thursday I had a rest day> That was nice! Friday was another hard gym day. Saturday I had it in my head to do a 4 mile tempo run but I started off too hard so then I decided to go hard for one mile then easy for one mile and repeat. I was pleasantly surprised with the paces. The first hard mile was pretty comfortable but I thought my heart rate should be lower for the recovery mile. The second one was into a headwind and it was definitely hard. The last 400m I had to count repeatedly to 20 to stop myself from thinking about stopping. It felt good to be running hard again though. Today I was tired starting out on my 'long' run and the pace was slow. And I remained tired and slow for the rest of the run. Then after watching Barry on the tracker, smashing his marathon, I had just about enough will power left to do an hour in the gym of mostly upper body stuff :D

Huge thank you for the tracking this morning, Johnny(blockic) and yourself were the first two Boardsies I ever met. Ye both hold a special place in my heart(sorry for the sentimental talk) but I mean that.

Huge thank you for the tracking this morning, Johnny(blockic) and yourself were the first two Boardsies I ever met. Ye both hold a special place in my heart(sorry for the sentimental talk) but I mean that.

Likewise ;)

Oct 8th - Oct 14th

Bleugh this week has been tough. I've struggled all week with recovery and muscle soreness. Monday I was tired. I nearly forgot I had a spin class and I was just about to sit down with a cup of tea and some chocolate when I remembered. I had to ditch the tea (and the chocolate :() and hot foot it out the door to make the class on time. There was little point in me being there really. I just spun a low gear the whole time and made minimal effort but at least I got to catch up with my clubmates and hear all the gossip from the novice xc! I was still wrecked on Tuesday. Tried to run in the morning but my legs were fatigued and I had DOMS in my lower back on the right hand side. It had actually been there all week after the last time I did deadlifts so we dropped them from the program this week. That meant I had to spend more time on front squats and lift more weight. But my form was good and it was 2.5kg heavier than last week. My legs were really sore Wednesday. I think it was from doing the split squats. Thursday I was tired and my legs were still sore. I did my normal Thursday gym session to get it over with so I could have an easy session on Sunday. I probably would have run in the afternoon but I was working in the clinic and I didn't have time. Friday I was tired and I checked my resting heart rate and it was a few beats higher than last week so I rested. I started supplementing my diet with whey protein. Nigel has been on at me for the last year that my protein is too low so I finally relented and bought some of the damn stuff :o I don't know if it's placebo or what because I'm still sceptical about it but the DOMS was gone from my legs on Friday and I feel like it is making me recover quicker. Saturday I was going to run but I was tired. Again. AND it was piddling rain so I took the easy option of doing an indoor interval session on the crosstrainer. Sunday I did a 'long' run. It was actually a decent pace for me these days and I sprinted the last 400m of the 4th mile. I was going to do 7 miles but I felt a twinge in my upper quad during the 5th mile and it didn't get any better so I walked home. My gym session was a lot more energetic than last week but my legs are tired now. Next week I'm back on the track. It's exciting for me because I have a new program and a new coach :D

Monday Oct 8
    Spin class 45min
    ahr:118 max:158
    Tired

Tuesday Oct 9
    Run (Recovery) 2.1 mi (11:54 / mi)

Tired. No deadlifts.

Wednesday Oct 10
    (rest day)
    Glutes sore

Thursday Oct 11
    S&C 1:10:00

Friday Oct 12
    (rest day)

Saturday Oct 13
    Cross trainer 45:00 [3]
    rhr:44

Sunday Oct 14
    Run: 5.0 mi (8:45 / mi)
    ahr:154 max:175 rhr:41 weight:148.5lbs
    9:05, 9:04, 8:32, 8:11, 8:55

Oct 14th - Oct 21st

Lot more energy this week. I used my spin class on Monday as a recovery session again and took it fairly easy except for the 6 short sprints that we did. Tuesday was a hill sprint session. I did a really good warm up and I felt a bit tired jogging but my hill sprints felt good and I felt like I had good form. I had a bit of a scare on Thursday. I was doing a really good session on the track with Donogh. He was videoing my starts and they looked pretty good. We were finishing up with 4 x 300 at tempo pace with 4 min recoveries. I did the first one in 55 sec. All good. I was halfway through the second one and I felt my left calf really tighten up around the bottom bend. I finished the rep in 55 sec but my calf was sore so we decided to call it a day. I thought I might be able to finish the last two if I went the other direction because there would be less pressure on my left leg but sense prevailed. Or rather Donogh made the call to stop. I couldn't remember where I'd parked my car then :o and I was wandering around for about 20 minutes carrying my blocks, which are kind of heavy, until my brain kicked into life again. The calf was sore driving and when I got home I was limping. I was sure I'd torn the fecking thing so I spent the evening alternating between the freezer and the kettle with an ice block and a hot water bottle and I took 2 lots of solpadeine as well. Friday I had an early gym session which was supposed to be light anyway. My calf had improved but I could still feel it, so more hot water bottles that evening and I took more solpadeine after the gym before I went to work. Saturday it was almost 95%. I was going to rest but it had improved so much I decided to do a turbo session on the bike, in the evening. I did a really good session and I had no problems from the calf. Sunday I didn't run just to be sure but I had my hardest gym session. It's long and there's lots of plyometrics and squatting so it's pretty demanding. My calf felt perfect when I got up and it feels really good now so fingers crossed it's crisis averted. I think maybe I was too long in the track spikes on Thursday and I should have changed to flats to do the 300's. It's a good two months since I last ran in the spikes so I probably need to ease myself back in to them.

Monday Oct 15

Spin class 45:00
    ahr:104 max:158

Tuesday Oct 16

Run hill sprints (7.9 km)

Warm up
    20 min running mechanics
    25 min easy jog (4.22k)
    Hill sprints
    25 min downhill overspeed - bottom of Hill for 20m into 20m flat sprint x 5 4:30R
    25 min uphill acceleration - 20m of least steep hill x 7 3:00 R

Wednesday Oct 17
    (rest day)

Thursday Oct 18

Run t&f
    Warm up
    10 block starts to 15m
    2*300m 4 min R

Friday:
    S&C 40:00
    Light upper body session. Calf improved but still sore especially when going down stairs

Saturday Oct 20

Bike turbo tempo 1:05:00 [3]
    ahr:118 max:163

10 min Wu
    4*(5min T effort, 2min R)

10, 15, 20, 25, 30sec sprints same R
    2 min R

6*10sec hard sprint, 10sec R
    2min R
    16 min CD

Sunday Oct 21

S&C 1:30:00

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Hi CM
    Hill sprints
    25 min downhill overspeed - bottom of Hill for 20m into 20m flat sprint x 5 4:30R
    25 min uphill acceleration - 20m of least steep hill x 7 3:00 R

Can you explain this session please? What's 25 min?
    Is 4.30 R a 4 min 30 sec recovery?
    etc.

Thanks
    PS Sounds about right with the spikes/calves issue

• Advertisement

Mulberry wrote: »
    Hi CM

Can you explain this session please? What's 25 min?
    Is 4.30 R a 4 min 30 sec recovery?
    etc.

Thanks
    PS Sounds about right with the spikes/calves issue

Hi Ro
    Ya no problem. 25 min is the total time needed and 4:30 R is 4 min 30 sec recovery so really most of the session is recovering :D
    You want to pick a nice hill not too steep with a flat bit at the bottom. I use one big stride length as approx equal to 1m. Start at the bottom of the hill and measure 20m uphill. That's your starting point. Then back to where you started measuring and measure 20m on the flat. That's your finish.
    The aim of the session is to get near to the bottom of the hill at close to 100% effort so that you're using the down hill to increase your max velocity on the flat section. The recoveries are long because it's 100% (roughly 1min for every 10m)
    Hope that explains it

Oct 22nd - Nov 7th

Monday Oct 22

Spin class 40min - Last one of the block that I signed up to. Don't think I'll sign up for any more. The first couple were good but the last few weeks I've only been using them as a recovery session which is pointless

Tuesday Oct 23

AM: Run flying 30's intervals
    Total 6.0 km (
    I liked these. I think I had a 5min recovery between each one but I had to do these wall leg hold drills in the recovery which made it fly by.

PM: Gym

Wednesday:
    Flew to Malaga early in the morning and I spent the day exploring. I did a bike tour of the city. It was interesting and I got to see a lot of the city. It's a nice place.

Thursday:
    30 min run around the botanical gardens. I thought it was kind of humid. I ran down to the gardens and did 3 laps at a steady effort and then I bought a bottle of water and walked home. I was supposed to get the train to El Chorro, a small village in the mountains in Andalusia. It's very popular for rock climbing as it's located next to a massive gorge Desfiladero de los Gaitanes. The gorge is famous for the Camineto del Rey, a scary wallkway which hangs 100m above the base of the gorge. The week before I arrived they had more than 400L of rainfall in less than 12 hrs which washed away the roads and the pump which pumps water to the villages so the Camino and several other roads were closed and there was no water. I was staying in a hostel and they had to pump the water from the swimming pool for showers and toilets and use bottled water for drinking. It was amazing to see the massive boulders that had been dislodged by the water and dumped down the valley. The lakes were a dirty brown colour instead of the normal turquoise blue and the reservoirs were full of debris. The railway in El chorro was closed because there was there was debris on the track as well so I got the train to Alóra instead and then Ruth, an Irish lady who runs the hostel collected me

Fri - Tues
    Hiking/Mountaineering
    Friday was a mixture of sunshine and clouds. We hiked up La Huma (1190m). It took about 5 hours.
    Saturday it was overcast. And a bit wet. We hiked up a mountain that I can't remember the name of but we had to turn around once the trail ended and we couldn't go to the summit because it was too misty. We went back down and we climbed up to one of the reservoirs in El Chorro instead. It was on the opposite side of the mountain to the Caminito del Rey
    Sunday we hiked up the mountain opposite La Huma. You could see right down to the Caminito. It was fun because Juan took us on an adventure and we weren't sure how we were going to get down off the mountain and we ended up descending to the river where we could see the damage caused by the floods and the massive boulder that had fallen down on the pump house. And then we stopped in the railway station for hot chocolate :D
    Monday we climbed El Torcal. It's famous for the stacked towers of limestone rock and the place where we parked the car is the starting point for the Camino do Santiago. It was beautiful at the summit. In the afternoon I went rockclimbing with with some Polish guys who were staying in the hostel as well. That was cool. I got to do two ascents
    Tuesday it rained a lot. We hiked up to the top of the forest and back around by the Via Ferrata. It took about 2 hours and we got soaked for the last half hour

Wednesday:
    Flew home. Plane was delayed 2 hours so I got back into Dublin just in time for rush hour traffic, made all the more enjoyable by the sodding roadworks on the N7

Thurs/Fri
    Rest. My legs were very tired

Saturday:
    Run 40min 6.85k
    I was still tired. I was supposed to do a gym session but I didn't feel like it. The run was interesting in that I needed to walk after 10min because I was exhausted. I walked for 2 min then I ran for another 10, walked for 2, ran for 10, walked for 2, ran for 4min which brought me conveniently to my house

Sunday:
    Run tempo 1:03 11.0 km (5:44 / km)
    3,2,1 mile T 5min R
    8:46, 8:43, 8:03
    7:23, 7:10
    8:02

I was supposed to do the hill sprints session I missed on Tuesday but I didn't feel like it. I just wanted to run. I was surprised the first mile sprint was as fast as 8:46 but I tried to keep the second one the same. It felt like a steady effort. I pushed a bit harder for the third mile and as I was finishing it I decided to take 5 min recovery and turn this into a tempo session. The 4th and 5th mile I was working hard and I felt like walking home after them especially as the last mile was uphill but after the 5 minutes I felt ok and I told myself I just need to run one more mile at any pace and it will be ok. So that's what I did and the pace turned out ok so I was happy.

Monday:
    Rest. DOMS :eek: My legs were not happy with my head

Tuesday:
    AM Run 43min 6.8 km (6:19 / km)

with 5*flying 40's walk back recovery. I was supposed to go to the track and do 3 x 60m sprints from blocks as well but it was absolutely tipping rain so I didn't.

PM Gym 50min

PM Bike turbo intervals 50
    ahr:119 max:160

10min wu
    3 x (5 x 30s sprint) 60", 4'
    10min cd

I'm confused about my running goals. I'm supposed to be sprint training but it doesn't really fulfill me and I'm finding it so hard to control my weight. Last month I entered the Adare 10k in February. I just saw it on twitter and thought oh I like to do that but if I do it I want to do well in it not just jog around. Sometimes I think I'd quite like to go back marathon training. My sister is home next May and wants to do the Ballyhoura mountain marathon again and I really love marathon training. I'm going to Australia for 6 weeks at the end of November and it's going to be hard to sprint train while I'm there and to further complicate things I was recently offered a new job based either in Dublin or Celbridge. It's a good job and I've accepted it but it's going to mess up my training :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I feel you, I found it very hard to control my weight as a sprinter and it bugged the life out of me.

The point I took is “it doesn’t really fulfill me”, if sprinting isn’t floating your boat at the minute try a few road races to change things up and do something different. The gra for the track may come back after, whatever you turn your hand to you always do well. Best of luck with the new job.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I feel you, I found it very hard to control my weight as a sprinter and it bugged the life out of me.

Some argue that intensive short reps are better for weight loss than slow runs. 400m is amazing for fitness, as you get the best of both worlds (speed and endurance). I was 63kg (just shy of 5’10) when I was at my fittest over 400m. Once I moved to shorter sprints that moved to 69-70kg, but it wasn’t exactly fat.

I'm confused about my running goals. I'm supposed to be sprint training but it doesn't really fulfill me and I'm finding it so hard to control my weight. Last month I entered the Adare 10k in February. I just saw it on twitter and thought oh I like to do that but if I do it I want to do well in it not just jog around. Sometimes I think I'd quite like to go back marathon training. My sister is home next May and wants to do the Ballyhoura mountain marathon again and I really love marathon training. I'm going to Australia for 6 weeks at the end of November and it's going to be hard to sprint train while I'm there and to further complicate things I was recently offered a new job based either in Dublin or Celbridge. It's a good job and I've accepted it but it's going to mess up my training :confused:

Maybe move up to 400m fully and ditch the short sprints? Some endurance running (not too much though) will benefit you over 400m. Do plenty of fartlek while you are away, and some long hill reps. Come back for the indoor season fit as a fiddle, and then sharpen up with some speed before indoors.

Where in Aus are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Was it the Mountains that sparked the dilemma? :D

IvoryTower wrote: »

Ya it's wrecking my head. I guess I could just eat less :o

The point I took is “it doesn’t really fulfill me”, if sprinting isn’t floating your boat at the minute try a few road races to change things up and do something different. The gra for the track may come back after, whatever you turn your hand to you always do well. Best of luck with the new job.

Hmmh I did a really good track session today. I think I find it hard because with the long stuff I could easily see improvement whereas with the sprinting it harder to quantify improvement unless you're racing.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Maybe move up to 400m fully and ditch the short sprints? Some endurance running (not too much though) will benefit you over 400m. Do plenty of fartlek while you are away, and some long hill reps. Come back for the indoor season fit as a fiddle, and then sharpen up with some speed before indoors.

Where in Aus are you going?

That seems like good advice. I like it :D

Spending a couple of days in Melbourne first, then flying to Brisbane to see my uncle for a few days. Then going to rent a car and do a road trip up the sunshine coast stopping in Noosa, Fraser Island, Yepoon, Airlie Beach, the Whitsundays and eventually arriving in Cairns to dive on the Great Barrier reef. Flying back to Melbourne and spending Xmas and new yr there. Might visit Tasmania as well but haven't booked that yet :D

Advertisement