Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should those who recieve social welfare be tested for Drugs on a regular basis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I work in the addiction services, I don't have the cost to hand but drug screening is very expensive. We used to take 2 samples a week in clinics, now it is down to two a month due to cut backs.

I don't agree with tests personally but the cost of testing people on the dole is prohibitive. In order to be 100% sure of someone being totally drug free you would have to take 3 samples a week, and they need to be supervised. Even they that will not address alcohol use as that leaves the system within hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I know the idea is a load of rubbish but was I supposed to start smoking hash on regular occasion since I started on the dole?
    Is it for people who are confirmed users of illegal drugs or any of use who drink/smoke/have coffee or sugar and all those things?

I really feel that if I'm going to be assumed to be on drugs because I'm on the dole, I should at least start taking some.
    So, who knows where to get heroin for cheap since I can't rally get pricey on the scratcher.

Cupboard under kitchen sink, tub marked "AJAX"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Cupboard under kitchen sink, tub marked "AJAX"

What'd I have that for? All I have in my kitchen is cans of dutch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Odysseus wrote: »
    I work in the addiction services, I don't have the cost to hand but drug screening is very expensive. We used to take 2 samples a week in clinics, now it is down to two a month due to cut backs.

I don't agree with tests personally but the cost of testing people on the dole is prohibitive. In order to be 100% sure of someone being totally drug free you would have to take 3 samples a week, and they need to be supervised. Even they that will not address alcohol use as that leaves the system within hours.
    Get the fuck out of here with your logic and sense!

MOAR ILL-THOUGHT-OUT, KNEE-JERK REACTIONS!!!11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Tsk! Well you should start investing in some, shouldn't ya? Can't become a professional Dole Addict if you haven't the right gear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I just wonder what AH's capacity is for threads to make people on the dole contemplate suicide?

Aren't there enough threads, rubbing people's faces in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

old hippy wrote: »
    I just wonder what AH's capacity is for threads to make people on the dole contemplate suicide?

Aren't there enough threads, rubbing people's faces in it?

Ah but us on the dole, we just laugh it of.
    Sure at the moment I'm watching Jeremy Kyle, opening the 9th can of Dutch and about to smoke spliff all while screaming at the kids to shut up all while everyone else is in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

voz es wrote: »
    This is a lovely little debate for a Wedensday monrning....;)

So do the majority feel that it is acceptable that those who recieve welfare be drunk or under the infulence of illegal substances on a regular basis?

I see some of people who i went to school with who i know are unemployed on a regular basis standing at the local's door with a cigarette in hand when i'm coming home from work. Did anybody else ever hear the line i'm working for the state now from a person with a pint in hand ( in other words on the dole) :D

I was prevously on the dole for 3 months after i finished college and can understand the social elements and how fu*king hard on the mind it is for many to be unemployed, its not good for the mind not seeing a person from one end of the day to the next, but to be fair now getting out of it during the week is not exactily activly looking to get your self back into employment.

There is plenty of volenteering where new skills can be gained and that 'the shed' programme is great.

So what's wrong with a urine test, if a person has illegal drugs in there system cut the benifit that week, they obvisouly had too much last week same with high quantities of alcohol on a regular basis. Feck it sure many people have to do it to keep there jobs!

Bit of advice, when looking to start any debate don't let the second line of your post be a massive **** up that kills any desire to engage with you on an intellectual level that you clearly lack.

It is entirely possible to have issues with people being excessively drunk, or spending their dole money on illegal goods but to also understand the actual cost of regularly testing for nearly half a million people would be outlandish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Get yourself down to the CWO and apply for your heroin allowance, my man! (Lash in a form for the Getting Scuttered every Tuesday allowance too. You never know your luck.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Bit of advice, when looking to start any debate don't let the second line of your post be a massive **** up that kills any desire to engage with you on an intellectual level that you clearly lack.

It is entirely possible to have issues with people being excessively drunk, or spending their dole money on illegal goods but to also understand the actual cost of regularly testing for nearly half a million people would be outlandish.

why, would you assume it would be half a million......

people who have worked and lost their jobs have payed into the system.....what they get out they are entitled to have and to spend it how they wish.....

it would only apply to people who get something for nothing....

• Advertisement

why, would you assume it would be half a million......

people who have worked and lost their jobs have payed into the system.....what they get out they are entitled to have and to spend it how they wish.....

it would only apply to people who get something for nothing....

So your argument is that people who have paid taxes should be allowed to break certain laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh, people who were made redundant and it's taking them a few months to find another job that they're skilled for... definitely should get regular drug tests.

Disabled people on medication - bunch of junkies. Test them too.
    It never ceases to amaze me how right-wing and conservative many young people are these days.

It must be awful to waste your youth being so obvious and dull.
    It's become trendy in the past 10-12 years it seems among a lot of kids to become unthinking morons - probably rebelling against their liberal parents.
    Abi wrote: »
    SW don't give enough to be in a pub a couple of times a week. After food and bills theres piss all left. What your seeing is people that either have side line work or people still living off their parents. I can't see how you could live independently and afford that kind of life style.

It's a massive generalisation to assume all SW recipients piss their payment away in the boozer, and bloody cheeky to go looking for urine and blood tests from people that would much rather be out working, as if it's not humiliating enough for them to have to claim in the first place.
    Friend of mine is on Job Bridge and gets a few extra quid off the company and his rent is really cheap and he doesn't have a car. Otherwise he pays for bills, food and has enough left for a few cans or pints (definitely nothing left for clothes, books, meals, other treats) and may he enjoy them. Deserves a few fecking drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Madam_X wrote: »
    It's become trendy in the past 10-12 years it seems among a lot of kids to become unthinking morons - probably rebelling against their liberal parents.

Doug Stanhope does a great piece on this subject......

So your argument is that people who have paid taxes should be allowed to break certain laws?

you could write a novel with that imagination......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Everyone should be given a urine test. You haven't lived until you've urinated into a tiny bottle.

I once took a urine test and when the doctor went to examine it he spilled it all over the carpet. It was hilarious.

Another time when I started a new job I had to take a urine test and post the sample myself. I had to walk around with the urine sample in my pocket until I got home. That was less fun.
    You're taking the pee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

sounds like a great way for the country to waste even more money

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

voz es wrote: »
    One of communisms biggest weaknesses was the greedy and the lazy, they were the ones that made it so hard for it to work. communism is a beautiful idea but terribally flawed because there was never an account taken for the human elements. I have been to Cuba, a beautiful place with some very good ideas, all the same the feeling you get from talking to people is that they feel opressed, they dream of the greener partures not because they have ever tasted them or tha they are beter, but because it is out of there reach

I saw a documentry, after the USSR break up, which interviewed workers in factories, they said there was no point in trying to better one self by working hard and doing a good job, when being paid the same as someone that just did enough to get by. The same factories could of had half the work force with the same productivity output and a higher product standard.

If this plan went ahead, and as many believe the dole supports the pub industry then there goes the pub-trade = more people to go on the dole.

The whole point of the dole is to keep money flowing in the local ecconomy, money doesn't disappear (unless its the banks), most money returns as Tax.

Anyway if this went ahead, my urine would become valuable, I'll be peeing a goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Skinnykenyan

another one of these polls. too many polls in the country if you ask me.

.... ill get my coat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Let's not.

There is enough Nanny state ****e coming down the line, for the pennies that the social hands out let the receiver do what the **** they want with it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who hold these views in society should be drug tested on a regular basis to be honest.

• Advertisement

you could write a novel with that imagination......

The issue is drug testing for people on the dole.

You are saying people fresh onto the welfare should be allowed spend their cash on whatever they want.

I am merely drawing a conclusion from your apparent failure to express yourself properly.

is the government neglecting it's duty of care......by handing out money that they know in very many cases is used to buy illigal drugs.......

The issue is drug testing for people on the dole.

You are saying people fresh onto the welfare should be allowed spend their cash on whatever they want.

I am merely drawing a conclusion from your apparent failure to express yourself properly.

definitely a novel.....

definitely a novel.....

And yet you are making no effort to actually expand upon what you have been trying to say, instead resorting to inane statements in a desperate attempt to appear somehow humorous.

Welcome to my Ignore List, you will fit right in.

And yet you are making no effort to actually expand upon what you have been trying to say, instead resorting to inane statements in a desperate attempt to appear somehow humorous.

Welcome to my Ignore List, you will fit right in.

you have the freedom to read my post......or to assume what i have written...

you have chosen the latter....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

nobody's business what a person does with the dole money they are entitled to ,

the anger of the masses should be directed at the state , not the recipient

sure why not drug testing for all ?

pointless thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I can see where the OP is coming from but probably not the best idea in terms of monitoring the spending of people on unemployment benefit.

I know of several lads from my town who don't work and they are living the dream.

One in particular is always out 2/3 nights of the weekend and is always loaded. This same lad was able to go to Gran Canaria for a 2 weeks holiday in June.

Surely this is not what unemployment benefit was intended for? I work 6 days a weeks some weeks and don't have the life he has. I'm not jealous, I wouldn't want to be unemployed. Nor do I wish hardship upon him either. But there is absolutely no incentive for him to find work and decrease the burden on the state.

I'm sure he has a few drinks midweek too upon receiving the dole.

I actually salute any person who was unemployed and went to Australia/Canada/UK in search of work. They for the most part are people who want to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

is the government neglecting it's duty of care......by handing out money that they know in very many cases is used to buy illigal drugs.......

Have you any evidence to back up that claim?

Nobody I know on welfare immediately goes out to score - I certainly didn't but even if I did; it's nobody's business but my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

biko wrote: »

Didnt know this was actually happening, i'm going to read up on it. Whats your opinion on it Biko? I hate the taught of bringing embarresment to people because they need help, I just as much detest the fact that there are a minority spending social wellfare in a way that is not a essential but a luxury that many tax payers could not afford to do. It is possibally not the best method but this aspect of social welfare is not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

what is it? 15% of the country is now unemployed?
    How many of those do you reckon do illegal drugs, 4-5%, how about this for an idea, legalise it and fu*king tax it.

Advertisement