Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should those who recieve social welfare be tested for Drugs on a regular basis?

Options
  • 31-10-2012 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

This is a lovely little debate for a Wedensday monrning....;)

So do the majority feel that it is acceptable that those who recieve welfare be drunk or under the infulence of illegal substances on a regular basis?

I see some of people who i went to school with who i know are unemployed on a regular basis standing at the local's door with a cigarette in hand when i'm coming home from work. Did anybody else ever hear the line i'm working for the state now from a person with a pint in hand ( in other words on the dole) :D

I was prevously on the dole for 3 months after i finished college and can understand the social elements and how fu*king hard on the mind it is for many to be unemployed, its not good for the mind not seeing a person from one end of the day to the next, but to be fair now getting out of it during the week is not exactily activly looking to get your self back into employment.

There is plenty of volenteering where new skills can be gained and that 'the shed' programme is great.

So what's wrong with a urine test, if a person has illegal drugs in there system cut the benifit that week, they obvisouly had too much last week same with high quantities of alcohol on a regular basis. Feck it sure many people have to do it to keep there jobs!

Should testing be tied to social welfare payments? 87 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 87 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This will end well..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, let's waste tons of money in admin costs implementing something pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Given the amount of times cocaine has been found in Leinster House, let's drug test Dail Eireann first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Why discriminate against social welfare recipients? Why not test everyone in receipt of state payments, TDs, ministers, civil servants, teachers, soldiers, those in receipt of pensions and children's allowance. Heck, lets test the bondholders, hedge fund managers too, we could save a packet if some of these masters of the universe are coke heads.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

voz es wrote: »
    I was prevously on the dole for 3 months after i finished college

If you apply drink & drug testing to the unemployed, then you should extend the same principal across the board to anyone who is in receipt of State supplements or funding, including students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Why discriminate against social welfare recipients? Why not test everyone in receipt of state payments, TDs, ministers, civil servants, teachers, soldiers, those in receipt of pensions and children's allowance. Heck, lets test the bondholders, hedge fund managers too, we could save a packet if some of these masters of the universe are coke heads.

Cracking idea, imagine the blow this would have to drug culture also, people want money and happyness, drugs make the happy and relaxed for a period and then well money keeps a roof over there head

Personally i have nothing against a little bit of a smoke every so often, but if its being constantly smoked by somebody there are often noticable effects. eevvveerrryyy ttthhhiiinnngg iiissss ddddooonnnneee aaa llliiittttttllleee bbbiiittt mmmooorrreee rrreeelllaaxxxeedd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What better way to feel great about being on the dole than to be regularly tested and treated like the dog you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How much money government money is that going to waste? Absolutely hare-brained idea and one that is totally unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It never ceases to amaze me how right-wing and conservative many young people are these days.

It must be awful to waste your youth being so obvious and dull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yay!

Let's have an incredibly costly and complex bureaucratic state surveillance apparatus to micro manage the lives of the unemployed so instead of an unemployed person costing €200 a week they cost €2000 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Everyone should be given a urine test. You haven't lived until you've urinated into a tiny bottle.

I once took a urine test and when the doctor went to examine it he spilled it all over the carpet. It was hilarious.

Another time when I started a new job I had to take a urine test and post the sample myself. I had to walk around with the urine sample in my pocket until I got home. That was less fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Whil we are doing this testing we could also test for levels of Codeine and catch all the pain killer junkies.

This is gonna be deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Maybe we should put them in concentration camps op and let them out when they get a job.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, let's waste tons of money in admin costs implementing something pointless.

Pointless? If you catch em, kick em off the dole because the money is being spent on drugs. How is that pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

kneemos wrote: »
    Maybe we should put them in concentration camps op and let them out when they get a job.

Eh couldnt we just call them work camps, thus giving them jobs solving the unemployment problem and then they dont have to be allowed back onto the streets.

It never ceases to amaze me how right-wing and conservative many young people are these days.

It must be awful to waste your youth being so obvious and dull.

Plus, where is there left to go politically when you become boring and middle-aged if your politics are already tedious and reactionary? The OP and his ilk are going to hit the politics wall one day. They'll wake up in their mid to late 30s and realise that no existing political party is sufficiently fascist enough for their sensibilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

No, smoking a bit o weed ain't no thing. I do think anyone receiving the dole should have to go to a training facility 9-5 Mon-Fri where they can try different things like joinery, mechanics, sparking, nursing or improve their cv with redoing maths, English or learn s new language.

Get people out of bed
    Create jobs for teachers, admin etc
    Give people confidence and a place to learn new skills and meet new people instead of sitting in depression all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

unemployed people should have the right to spend their dole money as they see fit..as long as they are job seeking....

non..employed people that recieve state benifit...should not be able to afford to do so.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Another 'im pissed off here in work, ill take it out on those who are happy out in their warm beds' threads..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Oh look, another social welfare thread. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Andy!! wrote: »
    Pointless? If you catch em, kick em off the dole because the money is being spent on drugs. How is that pointless?

Then they turn to crime to get the money, end up in jail and cost us thousands a week.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Then they turn to crime to get the money, end up in jail and cost us thousands a week.

so, you pay them to be good ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

voz es wrote: »
    This is a lovely little debate for a Wedensday monrning....;)

So do the majority feel that it is acceptable that those who recieve welfare be drunk or under the infulence of illegal substances on a regular basis?

I see some of people who i went to school with who i know are unemployed on a regular basis standing at the local's door with a cigarette in hand when i'm coming home from work. Did anybody else ever hear the line i'm working for the state now from a person with a pint in hand ( in other words on the dole) :D

I was prevously on the dole for 3 months after i finished college and can understand the social elements and how fu*king hard on the mind it is for many to be unemployed, its not good for the mind not seeing a person from one end of the day to the next, but to be fair now getting out of it during the week is not exactily activly looking to get your self back into employment.

There is plenty of volenteering where new skills can be gained and that 'the shed' programme is great.

So what's wrong with a urine test, if a person has illegal drugs in there system cut the benifit that week, they obvisouly had too much last week same with high quantities of alcohol on a regular basis. Feck it sure many people have to do it to keep there jobs!

Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

No we pay them to survive, but dole is cheaper than jail to the taxpayer

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

Andy!! wrote: »

What a brilliant idea. Let them steal or starve, that'll make them less likely to be a burden on society. And to hell with their families, sure kids don't need to eat.

The idea of giving only to the "deserving poor" should be left in the Victorian era where it belongs.

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    No we pay them to survive, but dole is cheaper than jail to the taxpayer

so, you pay them to be good.......

It's one form of crime prevention, a better one than Judge Dredd cops on every street corner and a police state.
    I've an even better form of crime prevention to suggest, though. Plus it would save you the anguish over your hard-earned taxes being wasted, blah, blah, feckin blah.
    Legalise and tax all drugs now.
    There you go. Now they're legal and taxed, the state makes money on them as they do on the smokes and gargle. Now we don't need to lock up hundreds of people whose only crime relates to cannabis. Now we don't need an armed police unit to target armed criminal drug gangs, because they've gone out of business.
    Now we have tons more money in our justice budget available to spend on more useful things to our society. No, I know you don't want to give it to the poorest and most vulnerable, so let's not do that. Let's give it to billionaires to repay their losing bets on some banks instead. Let's show some charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

No, no no..

So what next?..Test for fat consumption.
    I'd say that a bigger killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Nope. There are no rules on how you spend the dole and nor should there be.

Advertisement