Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you find interesting?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

If you havent already read it "Dont Sleep, There Are Snakes" is one of my favourite books ever - and given your interests Id say youd love it!!

Love your post btw. Reminds me of me - Id just replace some words (like science for antropology, astronomy for creative writing).

Thank you so much, that looks absolutely brilliant! I'm envious of your scientific brain, I'm totally arty and not at all practically minded. My OH is a scientist though so between us we make a good pub quiz team! :D Will definitely get this book, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Merkin wrote: »
    Thank you so much, that looks absolutely brilliant! I'm envious of your scientific brain, I'm totally arty and not at all practically minded. My OH is a scientist though so between us we make a good pub quiz team! :D Will definitely get this book, cheers!

My OH is an artist - science and art make a good balanced mix ;)

I was given that book as a gift and it sat on the shelf of unread books for a year or so before I got round to it - then I was like OH MY GOD ITS SO INTERESTING!!!!! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

dfx- wrote: »
    How things work - I have to stop myself from opening and taking apart anything with a mechanism like a clock. 'How It's Made' is great for indulging in this.
    This. I love hacking on stuff whether it's a computer or a clock, a car or a bicycle, I'll take it apart just to figure out how it works. (And it usually still works after I put it back together again!...)
    Space as well, fascinated by Jupiter in particular and then its moons.
    This too. I love reading astrophysics and such. Actually, I love reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Crochet - I like making things and I like puzzles, so crochet is like a puzzle and I get to make something too.
    Documentaries - of all types. I'll watch documentaries about the Industrial Revolution, dinosaurs, the universe, space, homo whatever our distant ancestors, farming during WWII, you name it I'll stare at it in fascination.
    Books - they're just amazing.
    Fish - I could stare at my aquarium for hours.
    DIY - probably back to the puzzle thing.

kylith wrote: »
    Fish - I could stare at my aquarium for hours.

Oh yeah, insects. Ive got some spiders outside my front windows who make beautiful webs and I could watch them catching dinner, wrapping it all up, and taking it off to the larder - for hours!!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, insects. Ive got some spiders outside my front windows who make beautiful webs and I could watch them catching dinner, wrapping it all up, and taking it off to the larder - for hours!!

I know exactly what you mean. I get some weird looks occasionally because I'm crouched in my front garden watching an Orb Web spider wrapping up a fly, but to passers-by it looks like I'm scrutinising the side of my bin.

Animals in general are fascinating to observe.

I know exactly what you mean. I get some weird looks occasionally because I'm crouched in my front garden watching an Orb Web spider wrapping up a fly, but to passers-by it looks like I'm scrutinising the side of my bin.

Animals in general are fascinating to observe.

lol, thats so funny!!

I tend to get a lot of weird looks too, I am an amateur mycologist (mushroom hunter!!), so when I go for a run in the local park, I end it in such a way that I walk through the woods back to the car, and I am often caught crouching down examining the ground just off the path - I am usually wearing a flourescent jacket - so I cant be accused of lurking in the woods!! I dont know what people think Im doing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I LOVE interior design. Kitchens especially, and furniture, fabrics, lifestyle blogs, Pinterest. I could spend hours looking at this kind of stuff.

I also love all things ballet. I used to dance, but haven't in about two years. I still love reading/watching docs about ballets, choreographers, dancers, costumes, history of companies, development of styles, ballet in Ireland (did my thesis on it).

A current dancer that I would love to see perform some day is Daniil Simkin. Just look at him!!

4313465248_e4c0d9d64c_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I love finding out how things work - the mechanics, everything.

I also love all aspects of crime - especially pathology, behavioural criminology, and forensic psychology.

And I LOVE horses. Everything about them - their smell, how clever they are, their gracefulness (because I'm a dropper).

I also love code, finding out how a site is put together, tracking things, web analytics, and anything "develop-y"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

l love reading bout jack the ripper, zodiac & true murder/seriel killer stories. love watching crime call & all programmes about true like murders. and no l'm not a psyco :P

I have an interest in that stuff too. The last day I had to actually stop myself because instead of actually doing work, I'd spent an hour just reading stuff about Ian Brady. :o The darker side of life and human nature is endlessly fascinating though, I think.

I love Shakespeare - reading the plays and poems, seeing all the different interpretations of characters on the stage, reading essays and such on his works. There are just so many ways to interpret Shakespeare and so many different opinions on his work. Entire books have been written on a single soliloquy. It's never-ending with Shakespeare.

I absolutely love music. I'm completely void of any musical talent myself, so I really admire great singers and lyricists and musicians, and always try to find out as much as I can about the artists that I love just to see what informs their work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I find insects and animals fascinating. Poetry, especially Sylvia Plath, wowww. Newspaper articles and news reports, about crime. It's super interesting. xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

Great thread! I got so caught up in the excitement of everyone's interests, that it's reminded me of all the joys life has to offer! ...Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

+1 on the maps!! As a kid I used to love following roads with my finger and seeing where I could go on an adventure.

I love anything to do with languages - where words come from, similar words between languages, formation of words, all that. I speak a few languages and have lived in a few other countries but it still amazes me to see people having a conversation, same as I would with a friend, with the same subject matter and all that but with a completely different set of words and meaning. I love idioms in other languages and thinking about the logic behind them. And how letters in the English language signify a completely different sound in other languages. Would really like to start learning a bit of Arabic or something next; getting really interested now in languages with completely different written characters.

I find fashion interesting, and interior decor, and am really looking forward to the day when I have the money to kit out both myself and my home as I'd like!

Films as well, and actors - could spend hours trawling through IMDB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The Cool wrote: »
    +1 on the maps!! As a kid I used to love following roads with my finger and seeing where I could go on an adventure.

I love anything to do with languages - where words come from, similar words between languages, formation of words, all that. I speak a few languages and have lived in a few other countries but it still amazes me to see people having a conversation, same as I would with a friend, with the same subject matter and all that but with a completely different set of words and meaning. I love idioms in other languages and thinking about the logic behind them. And how letters in the English language signify a completely different sound in other languages. Would really like to start learning a bit of Arabic or something next; getting really interested now in languages with completely different written characters.
    The Cool wrote: »
    Films as well, and actors - could spend hours trawling through IMDB.

+1 to both of these. I did Latin for my Leaving Cert and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love noting down words or phrases in other languages.

I love film trivia! Any time I watch a film I go straight to IMDB to look up all the actors and trivia. If there isn't enough info there I'm onto TV Tropes and from there the rest of my day is a write-off.

Love aviation and planes. If I have a stopover in an airport I like to find a spot where I can watch planes land and take off for a while. Absolutely love those flight tracker apps and websites. And it sounds a bit morbid but I really enjoy reading articles on crashes and incidents and how the industry deals with and learns from them. I actually find it reassuring to read about them for some reason.

I also like to read about true crime.

I love to look at source code for websites and other things, and checking random sites on w3c to see if they validate. It's a small part of my job and I like learning new programming languages so that partially explains it but I have a fascination that extends beyond that. I think it goes back to the days of Geocities where sometimes the only way to get interesting bits of code was to rob them from other people's websites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I find it interesting to hear what other people find interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Great thread!

I am really interested in the history of mental institutions- part of that is because my current research work kind of overlaps, but even just on it's own I find them fascinating. The stories and experiences that have come out of them... amazing. Not exactly cheery, but amazing nonetheless.

I love reading about the 1st and 2nd world wars, but not the big battles, I prefer the stories and details of what life was like for people on the ground. Novels, biographies, diaries, anything. I love it.

I'm also a bit obsessed with menswear- I love watching the collections being unveiled, I love reading style blogs, seeing how people who wear menswear (not just men) put outfits together, and all that. I love looking at menswear on the streets, seeing how people dress in real life. I'm not shallow, at least I don't think I am, but I do enjoy looking!

Oh, and cooking. I love cooking, looking up recipes, setting myself challenges... And historical recipes are fun, trying to replicate 100 year old recipes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Yeah I love reading about murderers and real life cases. Also like reading about the minds of child killers I.e. children who kill plus bad ass serial killers. Don't cross me ;))

lol, thats so funny!!

I tend to get a lot of weird looks too, I am an amateur mycologist (mushroom hunter!!), so when I go for a run in the local park, I end it in such a way that I walk through the woods back to the car, and I am often caught crouching down examining the ground just off the path - I am usually wearing a flourescent jacket - so I cant be accused of lurking in the woods!! I dont know what people think Im doing!

I do that too, but I don't know anything about mushrooms. I just squint at them, wondering if they'd kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

History, anything medicaly related and the psychology behind violent crimes,

I do that too, but I don't know anything about mushrooms. I just squint at them, wondering if they'd kill me.

I pick them sometimes and because Im out running Ive no pockets, so I put them in my hat to take home and identify - 'there goes yer wan who picks the killer toadstools and puts them in her hat' :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

History and the great out doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭WaterLily.

Cooking interests me, I just love trawling through websites, cookbooks, cookery programmes to find new recipes. I also love experimenting with new flavours, seeing what works with what. I could honestly spends hours and hours pouring over recipes, reading food blogs, etc :D

Nutrition also fascinates me (I'm not a health freak by any stretch of the imagination!) I just love learning stuff about how food affects our bodies in different ways and how much of everything it needs and just generally the science behind nutrition.

I love watching, analysing, talking about, reading about and playing tennis. I don't play half as much as I used to when I was younger but I still absolutely adore the sport. Whenever there are grand slams on tv I am glued to them and if you get me onto the subject I could talk for hours about tennis :P Went to Wimbledon last year for the first time and I literally had the best time ever, non stop tennis for 2 days... dream come true!

Oh and newspaper articles/ programmes about climate change really interest me. I just find the topic fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I love books. Mostly fantasy but I also love a bit of factual and fictional history. I also love writing.
    I play computer games. A LOT! Wouldn't say I'm a massive fan of games in general, just the ones I play.

I'm OBSESSED with Japan. It's language, culture and history. I wanna live there someday.
    I also share the killer interest. I just don't understand it and I think that's the fascination. I think it's a way of looking for answers as to 'why'.

I love music. I'm a big fan of rock and metal but I also listen to R&B, rap, blues, pop etc... If I like it, I like it and I always try to find out as much as I can about the artist and their music.
    I love language in general. The differences, the similarities. The three languages I would love to learn are Japanese, German and Spanish. If I could manage to learn even one of these I'd be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

I used to find almost anything interesting :) was content with lounging about in peace or doing outdoorsy things. Playing racquetball & volleyball is fun. I used to do a bit of bike touring/hiking.

I like sensory things - would garden just to have scented blooms; cook for the pleasure of eating; lose myself in the visual beauty of art. I enjoy being near water... Adore dogs - they offer so much love.

Enjoy listening to music & playing acoustical guitar. Appreciate reading the romantic poets and perusing old shops. Have spent hours researching anything (because I know so little). Astronomy is fascinating.

I acquired a taste for event planning from a relative. Do lotsa DIY projects (was always limited on funds, so I learned to be creative). Love interior spaces - designing, restructuring surroundings... And transportation - give me wheels, wings or sails and I am content :) ...Someday I would like to try photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I find the Jack the Ripper murders fascinating - just the idea that the identity one of the first ever random serial killers remains unknown, and that no one has ever solved the mystery.

If I was the Doctor's companion, the first thing I would suggest is that we go back to Whitechapel in 1888 and get DNA samples!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

Reading Yahoo News interests me.

I also find eating oranges and cucumbers interesting.

Advertisement