Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you find interesting?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the 'What do you find boring' thread.

I find many many things interesting but something that never fails to amuse is that I find Google Earth interesting. I can and do spend hours and hours exploring and dropping to street view in strange places or checking out the aerial views of familiar places. I just love it!

So, any odd interests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

It's probably not particularly quirky, but I enjoy all things medical.

I also like interesting-sounding words. This probably explains my ability to remember generic and brand-names for drug treatments (and persisting ability to name 150 Pokemon). :D

I find people extremely interesting.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's probably not particularly quirky, but I enjoy all things medical.
    Me too, despite the fact that I don't do anything even remotely medical! I could spend hours reading Wikipedia articles about diseases, drugs and medical procedures, and watching documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I enjoy all things medical too. I have a collection of weird medical stuff including some cartilage from inside my own knee pickled in gin!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Me three.

I love anatomy and physiology. And diseases.

I also have a new love for house plans/architecture

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Space, the universe etc, love hearing how it all works, or how they think it works, the scale of it is both amazing and terrifying all at once. There's a thread in the cool pics forum about the Mars rover, the pics it's sending back are amazing, mountains which dwarf ours, craters you could fit America into etc.

Movies, my biggest interest/hobby/past time. I love going to the cinema, seeing how films are made, how they're written. They're a great example of how collaborative art can be and the whole filmmaking process just fascinates me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

l love reading bout jack the ripper, zodiac & true murder/seriel killer stories. love watching crime call & all programmes about true like murders. and no l'm not a psyco :P

oh and l love anything to do with weddings!! weddings by Franc, Bridezilla etc etc & looking up wedding dresses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Modern Spanish history and politics. Soooo incredibly fascinating. Have always had a passing interest in it but now it's turning into a kind of obsession since moving here.

And I love to people watch. I spend about 3 hours a day on public transport basically staring at people's body language and interactions like a weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Football. It's technical and I like being able to analyse it.

I find photography interesting because I wouldn't be the type of person who would stop in wonder at something (that something could be simple or complex) so I appreciate other people seeing the wonder and giving me the opportunity to see it.

l love reading bout jack the ripper, zodiac & true murder/seriel killer stories. love watching crime call & all programmes about true like murders. and no l'm not a psyco :P

Ah yes, love reading up on true crime!

My sister is studying criminology and forensics so we like to converse about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Too much to mention. I am such a curious soul and love to learn and listen about so much. I think I have an addiction problem to google, because if I hear about something I don't know a lot about I usually have to follow up on some sort of research on the subject. I'm trying to cut back on it :pac:

Love to know all about history! Of people, events, countries, everything!

• Advertisement

I think I have an addiction problem to google, because if I hear about something I don't know a lot about I usually have to follow up on some sort of research on the subject. I'm trying to cut back on it :pac:

Agree, I find the ease of access of information in todays world almost overwhelming sometimes!! I remember as a kid doing the Sunday Indo crossword with my father every week - we had some reference books and the rest was what we had in our heads. I remember sometimes I wouldnt find out the answer to a question for months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Sport -training, playing, celebrating, watching, discussing, analysing. I'm never happier than when I'm in the midst of something sports related :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Maps. I love maps. I could spend hours, seriously, hours looking at maps. I love the old ones, looking at how countries used to be, the empires that used to exist. When I was in school I had this little Collins Atlas of the World, pocket-sized. It had every country in the world in it. I'd look up the facts and figures, the capitals, what the populations were, major exports etc.

Also Flea markets. I LOVE Flea markets or Car boot sales. Cameras. Old videogames. Old tv shows and old adverts.

Oh, trying to work out my family tree.

I won't pay for the archives and stuff though so I never get far but it's still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I look reading random articles about anything on wiki using their random generator- I do it daily.

Also love learning about dogs- about people experiences, facts, training methods, anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great white sharks, absolutely fascinating creatures, cage diving is right at the top of my bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

God where do I start?!I love the World and travel and culture and PEOPLE, have a degree in anthropology and lap up any obscure information on people and their customs, as well as people in society and those around me! I'm also obsessed with food and cook a lot and make up new recipes.Am also a voracious reader, love nothing more than immersing myself in a good book, probably average about three a week.I also love boat fishing.And crosswords.And creative writing.And eating out.And generally being a banter merchant.And like PP mentioned above I'm hopelessly curious so the moment I don't know something or want to know more I'm Googling like no tomorrow! And Tudor history! And baking! And alternative medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Lots of things. The natural world in all it's forms, animal, how species evolve and benefit the planet. Geographical - particularly geomorphology and plate tectonics. I am fascinated by natural disasters - earthquakes, volcanos etc, for the processes, not the 'disaster'. I've been glued to the news and the internet for Hurricane Sandy.

I've always had a thing for maps as well and love google earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I love a good nature documentary.

And psychology. I'm so fascinated by how the human mind works.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Vayda

I love documentaries too, I could spend ages going around different shows on the History Channel, or Animal Planet. Although some of the stories are heartbreaking, I do love seeing the kindness that comes from people when they care for an animal in need.

Also, I love Ross Kemp documentaries. They're fascinating, to know how different parts of the world work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How things work - I have to stop myself from opening and taking apart anything with a mechanism like a clock. 'How It's Made' is great for indulging in this.

Space as well, fascinated by Jupiter in particular and then its moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

American History.

Diseases

Different Laws in countries

Psychology

Words, meanings etc

Don't kno why.. I think its a Wikipedia addiction.that spiraled out of control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Have to say I love true crime as well. I was always wary about admitting it though as my mother called me a freak when I was younger for being interested in the Rose & Fred West case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

I love horses, riding them watching them particularly the showjumping. I love counting the strides into fences etc. I find them most incrediable creature, so big so powerfull and yet so gentle (99% of the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I think I have an addiction problem to google, because if I hear about something I don't know a lot about I usually have to follow up on some sort of research on the subject. I'm trying to cut back on it :pac:

Me too!! My favourite phrase is "I'll Google it". If I have a fleeting thought about the population of a country, or who invented something, I'll look it up as soon as I can. The world is so accessible now, that if I have a question, I can (and should!) find out the answer.
    I remember as a kid doing the Sunday Indo crossword with my father every week.

I just had to quote this! What a lovely memory.
    Merkin wrote: »
    God where do I start?!I love the World and travel and culture and PEOPLE, have a degree in anthropology and lap up any obscure information on people and their customs, as well as people in society and those around me!

This is something I love too. I love to read about different cultures and customs. I love anything to do with ancient tribes and people who live in a way so removed from what we are familiar with. I have always had a real facination with Chinese and Japanese history too.

I am really interested in psychology, behaviour and attachment theories, psychological experiments, etc. I could read about them for hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Politics - particularly American politics. Have always had a fascination with it. I'm a current affairs nerd too.

People - people are weird, strange, fascinating creatures!

Travelling to places I haven't been before/that I've always wanted to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

hmmmm where to start....this thread for one :D

For me there's nothing more interesting then a good discussion, or even heated debate with someone who knows about the subject being discussed, a discussion where opinions can change based on new information learned by both parties from both parties. Outside of that though, I really enjoy documentries, I love to know how things go together (luckly some of my job involves reverse engineering), I love cars and gadgets, being honest it'd probably be shorter to list the things I don't find interesting lol.

People though...even some of the worst people I've met have some very interesting views and ideas reguardless of if I agree with them or not.

Merkin wrote: »
    God where do I start?!I love the World and travel and culture and PEOPLE, have a degree in anthropology and lap up any obscure information on people and their customs, as well as people in society and those around me! I'm also obsessed with food and cook a lot and make up new recipes.Am also a voracious reader, love nothing more than immersing myself in a good book, probably average about three a week.I also love boat fishing.And crosswords.And creative writing.And eating out.And generally being a banter merchant.And like PP mentioned above I'm hopelessly curious so the moment I don't know something or want to know more I'm Googling like no tomorrow! And Tudor history! And baking! And alternative medicine.

If you havent already read it "Dont Sleep, There Are Snakes" is one of my favourite books ever - and given your interests Id say youd love it!!

Love your post btw. Reminds me of me - Id just replace some words (like science for antropology, astronomy for creative writing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭gidget

Oh, trying to work out my family tree.

I love doing that too. Have managed to trace back the names, professions & where they were born right back to my great great grandparents. So many interesting discoveries about my background that i would actually need more than a day, to trace 4 sides of my family if i were to have free access to the records.

I'm a huge animal lover, so i tend to watch a lot of the animal related shows & documentaries.

I also have huge sweet tooth and so love discovering new books or testing out new recipes on cakes, deserts etc. Am always on the lookout for those ultimate & rare deserts so watch a lot of shows, such as Unique Sweets on Food Network.

If i hear someone talking about a ghostly experience it would instantly grab my attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Psychology. I find the way people think interesting. I like learning about behaviour and also about mental illnesses. I think the brain is really interesting.

I'm also fascinated by planes. I could watch documentaries about them for hours on end.

Oh, and crime and forensics.

Advertisement