Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

134689216

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭ Rubber_Soul


    I'd very much doubt they could tempt Ford back.

    I think Indy 4 showed that while Ford isn't a fan of the series, he's definitely a fan of the paycheque.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ kitakyushu


    I think Indy 4 showed that while Ford isn't a fan of the series, he's definitely a fan of the paycheque.

    Ford's advantage in that instance is that the Indiana Jones films are well .... the Indiana Jones films. You need Ford there and that comes with the associated price.

    By comparison the Star Wars movies have been sold on the spectacle rather than star power. There's no requirement to pay Ford (or anyone) $20m+ just to get the film made. You could make a film with unknowns and still be able to clean up at the boxoffice.

    I'm sure Ford would do another SW if he got the same deal as Indy 4. Thing is tho he's not that vital to SW success and as such no one would be crazy enough pay him it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭ Sleepy


    Have to say I'd much rather see a "200 years later" sequel where the alliance have reigned over a relatively peaceful galaxy for centuries whilst the Sith have been hiding in the shadows... I'm imagining something that sees them in a terrorist role (mirroring the Rebel Alliance's "freedom fighters" of A New Hope).

    Would that be too much like Phantom Menace though? Another hero journey quest (a la Luke, or even Anakin) would be really off-putting. I think you have to skip the origin story and start the story with the lead Jedi already being Master(s).


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭ Rubber_Soul


    kitakyushu wrote: »
    Ford's advantage in that instance is that the Indiana Jones films are well .... the Indiana Jones films. You need Ford there and that comes with the associated price.

    By comparison the Star Wars movies have been sold on the spectacle rather than star power. There's no requirement to pay Ford (or anyone) $20m+ just to get the film made. You could make a film with unknowns and still be able to clean up at the boxoffice.

    I'm sure Ford would do another SW if he got the same deal as Indy 4. Thing is tho he's not that vital to SW success and as such no one would be crazy enough pay him it.

    Oh I completely agree that he's in no way vital to the series, as I said there wouldn't be much potential to following a now pensioner Solo around the galaxy (I'm sure there are some execs at Disney that would pay him though) and the more likely outcome would be a hand off to a new generation. I was just trying to highlight that while Star Wars is undoubtedly a cash cow, it's not one without risk.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭ norrie rugger


    Oh I completely agree that he's in no way vital to the series, as I said there wouldn't be much potential to following a now pensioner Solo around the galaxy (I'm sure there are some execs at Disney that would pay him though) and the more likely outcome would be a hand off to a new generation. I was just trying to highlight that while Star Wars is undoubtedly a cash cow, it's not one without risk.

    A Star Wars theme park would be pretty much without risk, for a company like Disney. Mega money in it for them right there.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭ krudler


    slave1 wrote: »
    Agreed, he out of all of them has been explicit on wanting to leave his SW efforts in the past, no further involvement from Han I think

    I dont want to see an old Han Solo, an older Luke yes, he can become a Jedi master like Obi-Wan, it makes sense.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭ Beefy78


    Whether Ford will do it or not there needs to be someone in the role of a Han Solo-style character. That was the single biggest issue with the PT, IMO. The good guys were a bunch of arrogant space wizards who had next to no likeable character traits. Han was the everyman who the audience could get behind.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭ krudler


    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Whether Ford will do it or not there needs to be someone in the role of a Han Solo-style character. That was the single biggest issue with the PT, IMO. The good guys were a bunch of arrogant space wizards who had next to no likeable character traits. Han was the everyman who the audience could get behind.

    indeed, closest thing to a Han Solo of recent is Mal in Serenity.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭ VinLieger


    molloyjh wrote: »
    3. Either go with the EU stuff or don't. No middle ground. If they aren't going with it they need to ensure that
    Chewy isn't killed off the way he was
    .

    I disagree, they cant change the history that has already been done UNLESS they pull a star trek alternate universe dealy.
    It would be a MASSIVE disservice to the fans of the EU by just erasing it


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭ Kinski


    VinLieger wrote: »
    It would be a MASSIVE disservice to the fans of the EU by just erasing it

    Begone! And take your single currency with you!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭ Rubber_Soul


    A Star Wars theme park would be pretty much without risk, for a company like Disney. Mega money in it for them right there.

    Disney don't release specific figures but a quick Google says their Parks and Resorts division makes about a billion a year, that covers all their theme parks. I reckon a stand-alone Star Wars theme park would make money alright but I doubt it'd be that significant in relative terms to them. Imo they would just incorporate a Star Wars ride/rides into Disneyland. Definite money spinner for them though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭ norrie rugger


    krudler wrote: »
    indeed, closest thing to a Han Solo of recent is Mal in Serenity.

    So we are back to casting Nathan Fillion in everything?

    I am fine with that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭ krudler


    So we are back to casting Nathan Fillion in everything?

    I am fine with that.

    yay! the man needs an major role. he's great in everything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭ Sleepy


    Han Solo's great grand-son perhaps?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,076 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy


    As for the EU, wasn't there a story between 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 which hooked Leia up with Luke? So those stories aren't always canon. :p

    Of course, let's not forget the most important thing Lucasfilm were involved with that Disney have a stake in through Marvel as well - Howard the Duck. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭ VinLieger


    CastorTroy wrote: »
    As for the EU, wasn't there a story between 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 which hooked Leia up with Luke? So those stories aren't always canon. :p

    Of course, let's not forget the most important thing Lucasfilm were involved with that Disney have a stake in through Marvel as well - Howard the Duck. :D

    Never heard of that story, shadows of the empire was set between 5 and 6. Also the first books were written after return of the jedi so anyone writing them would have known the implications of a story like that.
    Guessing IF it does exist its just bizarre fanfic


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,076 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy




  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭ VinLieger


    CastorTroy wrote: »

    Ahh yes completely forgot about that one, i always consider Timothy Zahns thrawn trilogy to be the start of the EU mainly due to how piss poor that book was and how many inconsistencies there are in it


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭ charlie_says


    Hopefully they will make some good games again based on new film content. Some of the SW games were really good.

    Quietly pessimistic about the new film(s), it would be cool to be proved wrong.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭ karaokeman


    Really surprised about this one, Lucas always said he wouldn't want anyone else to continue his story.

    Wasn't there a story for a sequel trilogy in the 70s that was dropped?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ kitakyushu


    karaokeman wrote: »
    Really surprised about this one, Lucas always said he wouldn't want anyone else to continue his story.

    Wasn't there a story for a sequel trilogy in the 70s that was dropped?

    There was various stories about how many trilogies there was supposed to be.

    They'd settled on 9 episodes right up to the mid90s. The official line only changed to 6 after the Special Edition and Prequels started becoming a reality. I think in the 80's there was actually even meant to be 12 or 15 episodes. I'm fairly sure I heard that on one of the contemporary 'making of' docs. In fact I'm fairly certain I heard Lucas even mentioned the notion of just endlessly making them in the same manner as how Disney appear to be planning things.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭ Handsome Bob


    Apparently the new films won't be based on any pre-existing material, bold move given the wealth of material available.


  • Posts: 15,814 ✭✭✭✭ Maurice Dry Self-incrimination


    Reading the various thoughts online regarding this and I'm surprised by how people think its a bad idea. Lucas has managed to turn two highly successful franchises into ridiculous, poorly made money makers that lack all the wit and charm of the originals. At least with Disney calling the shots the next Star Wars film will be more than a crappy tech demo. As for Indiana Jones, well again with Lucas having creative control we may get a decent film. I imagine that we're Disney in charge of the last film we would have seen the script that Frank Darabont wrote on the screen and not the poorly written and misguided piece of crap we got


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭ Ridley


    The "Conference Call to Discuss The Walt Disney Company's Agreement to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd" if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

    I thought the Star Wars movies every two/three years was just talking about a regular pattern for the release of Episodes VII-IX but it sounds like They're going to keep putting them out.

    Five Star Wars movies a decade? Yikes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ kitakyushu


    Ridley wrote: »
    The "Conference Call to Discuss The Walt Disney Company's Agreement to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd" if you're into that sort of thing. ;)

    I thought the Star Wars movies every two/three years was just talking about a regular pattern for the release of Episodes VII-IX but it sounds like They're going to keep putting them out.

    Five Star Wars movies a decade? Yikes.

    Interesting to hear them officially calling them Episode VII etc. It'll definitely be called "Star Wars Something..." but I wonder how long they'll actually persist with the numbering system of if Ep7 will ever be mentioned by the time it hits theatres..


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭ OU812


    Heard somewhere he's giving the $4B to charity. Incredible if true


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Sad Professor


    Hamill says Lucas met with him and Fisher during the summer to discuss a sequel trilogy.

    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-disney/


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭ pauldla


    Hamill says Lucas met with him and Fisher during the summer to discuss a sequel trilogy.

    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/31/mark-hamill-star-wars-episode-vii-disney/

    :cool:

    Luke and Leia training the next generation of Jedi Knights....?


  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭ jpm4


    A Star Trek style reboot with new actors playing the old charaters based on Timothy Zhan's original Thrawn triliogy would be mouth watering for me anyway. Most EU I ever read was awful save that one which was superb - intelligent, exciting, great characters like Thrawn, Mara Jade, Talon Karde, Joruus C'baoth or whatever that guy's name was.....

    Wishful thinking for many reasons though, one being because it might push Star Wars into the realm of being somewhat intelligent/complex which it never was, even when it was good.

    Anyways, if there is a chance I can get the unmolested original on DVD or bluray then am all for this.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭ VinLieger


    Bad news is disney have said its gonna be based on all new material, i really wanted to see the thrawn trilogy :(


Advertisement