Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Strikes Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

This much angst over a bloody title? FFS, talk about geek level 99. Sci-Fantasy really does generate some amount of nerd rage, over the smallest things

report card reads "must try harder....." :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've changed the 7 in the thread title to Roman numerals. I wasn't thinking when I re-named the thread originally. Didn't realise it would provoke so much controversy.

BrookieD wrote: »
    report card reads "must try harder....." :rolleyes:

I'm actually serious. It's a name FFS, nothing to get worked up about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It's actually really childish, "the force awakens goes for a shower", all these allusions that everyone thinks are who so witty and having being copied a million times over the last few days, welcome to the group think apparatus. We're living in the age of memes and 3 hour movies being too long, so it doesn't surprise me people couldn't find a deeper meaning in this one. For me, it has a meta-meaning too,the franchise awakens in a big way that it hasn't in many many years, this will be the first real big relaunching of the brand for 90% of mainstream people.

Lucas treatments for the ST (which are still being used by contract as part of the deal with Disney) are more philosophical and spiritual. The title hints as much. Jett Lucas (Lucas own son) confirmed that he knows the story for the ST to come.

There are some people out there who rather want a bad movie so they can rip it apart, then get a good one they can enjoy.

Cos you know what would be really ironic, Star wars gets the film/trilogy about the force it deserves and everybody hates it cos they couldn't get it.

Christ, We had people here on this board arguing about knowing more about relativity than Stephen Hawking and Kip Thorne and were willing to correct them (Boards.ie dude vs Kip Throne case of 2014) about some of the most complex laws governing the universe with Interstellar, and that was evidence based at least.

Wait until the ST offends everybody spiritual sensibilities by being close to the OT than you dared imagine(probably)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Adamantium wrote: »
    It's actually really childish, "the force awakens goes for a shower", all these allusions that everyone thinks are who so witty and having being copied a million times over the last few days, welcome to the group think apparatus. We're living in the age of memes and 3 hour movies being too long, so it doesn't surprise me people couldn't find a deeper meaning in this one. For me, it has a meta-meaning too,the franchise awakens in a big way that it hasn't in many many years, this will be the first real big relaunching of the brand for 90% of mainstream people.

Lucas treatments for the ST (which are still being used by contract as part of the deal with Disney) are more philosophical and spiritual. The title hints as much. Jett Lucas (Lucas own son) confirmed that he knows the story for the ST to come.

There are some people out there who rather want a bad movie so they can rip it apart, then get a good one they can enjoy.

Cos you know what would be really ironic, Star wars gets the film/trilogy about the force it deserves and everybody hates it cos they couldn't get it.

Christ, We had people here on this board arguing about knowing more about relativity than Stephen Hawking and Kip Thorne and were willing to correct them (Boards.ie dude vs Kip Throne case of 2014) about some of the most complex laws governing the universe with Interstellar, and that was evidence based at least.

Wait until the ST offends everybody spiritual sensibilities by being close to the OT than you dared imagine(probably)

That was me he's talking about, I never said I knew more than Hawking or Kip Thorne, he's totally misunderstood and misrepresented my point. Carry On :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's actually really childish, "the force awakens goes for a shower", all these allusions that everyone thinks are who so witty and having being copied a million times over the last few days...

Ah shite. I thought I was being original.

Anyway, as I said earlier...ALL of the star wars subtitles are rubbish.

What matters, in the end, is if the film is any good.

If it's not, then all the cool titles in the world won't help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

tumblr_ly5wn5V5aC1qccebt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I have a kind of morbid desire to see JJ do everything to offend the hardcore fanboy's out there and just generally troll the **** out of the Star Wars community. The reaction would be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I have a kind of morbid desire to see JJ do everything to offend the hardcore fanboy's out there and just generally troll the **** out of the Star Wars community. The reaction would be hilarious.

So long as a the films are good I'll consider the whole enterprise a roaring success.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Depending on how much of this movie is actually shot in 70mm IMAX, I'd suggest any diehard fans travel for cheap to the UK to see it in one of the 4 70mm screens. Just went to see Interstellar in Manchester yesterday and it was the best cinema experience I've had to date. Can only imagine any flying scenes in SW will be amazing along with the sound and music.

He already did that to Star Trek with his generic Space Voyage series

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Lens flare then zzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuubbb zzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuubbb lens flare & repeat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Depending on how much of this movie is actually shot in 70mm IMAX, I'd suggest any diehard fans travel for cheap to the UK to see it in one of the 4 70mm screens. Just went to see Interstellar in Manchester yesterday and it was the best cinema experience I've had to date. Can only imagine any flying scenes in SW will be amazing along with the sound and music.

Just one scene apparently. See here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The story begins with a Stasis Chamber being found floating through space, and once opened, Jar Jar Binks slowly opens his eyes, saying "Mesa has Lotsa Midi-chlorians, mesa gonna bea JEDI!!!"

Fade to black

Lens flare!

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

Lens flare then zzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuubbb zzzzzzzzzzuuuuuuuuuubbb lens flare & repeat

Think of all the lens flare he can get with a light sabre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just one scene apparently. See here.

Wow lol, why even bother using it then? Probably just doing it as a sales point to get fans in to the more expensive IMAX cinemas to earn the movie more money

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Thank God there was no internet when the Original Trilogy were being made, their titles would have been slaughtered as well.

After the Prequel Trilogy 'lost decade' , we have proper Star Wars on the way:

Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, The Millenium Falcon, Stormtroopers, AT-ATs, Tie Fighters, X-Wings all on the way back.

It doesn't get any better than this !!!!

Rumours abound the first teaser trailer could drop sometime this week!

Also two descriptions of the trailer have circulated tonight:
    It’ll be short. And when I say short, I mean one minute long. It’s going to have The Force Theme played on woodwinds, softly, over flashing images of the main leads, each fading to black. There’s no dialogue, just reveals of the characters. And then the music swells up into a full orchestral piece – perhaps what John Williams recorded this weekend? – and we hear a female voice, likely Daisy Ridley’s, saying “Wake up.”
    And then the title card appears – Star Wars: The Force Awakens – and we see the Millennium Falcon, firing blasters, coming right at the camera.

and

Fade in from black, shots of the dunes, Boyega pops in to the shot from below. He’s wearing white Stormtrooper armor but he doesn’t have a helmet on.
    In the teaser we only see Boyega and Ridley really.
    Ridley boards a speeder.
    She has a helmet on like Endor Leia, a design with pop-down goggles.
    A shot of Ridley’s speeder approaching the station (the TMZ set we saw).
    We see the new Stormtroopers on a transport. The flight is turbulent.
    New X-wings.
    TIE Fighters.
    The new Soccer Ball Droid
    The new “Sith” is also revealed. He has a cross-beam lightsaber and the beam flickers strangely.
    The Falcon.

Rumours abound the first teaser trailer could drop sometime this week!

Also two descriptions of the trailer have circulated tonight:
    It’ll be short. And when I say short, I mean one minute long. It’s going to have The Force Theme played on woodwinds, softly, over flashing images of the main leads, each fading to black. There’s no dialogue, just reveals of the characters. And then the music swells up into a full orchestral piece – perhaps what John Williams recorded this weekend? – and we hear a female voice, likely Daisy Ridley’s, saying “Wake up.”
    And then the title card appears – Star Wars: The Force Awakens – and we see the Millennium Falcon, firing blasters, coming right at the camera.

and

Fade in from black, shots of the dunes, Boyega pops in to the shot from below. He’s wearing white Stormtrooper armor but he doesn’t have a helmet on.
    In the teaser we only see Boyega and Ridley really.
    Ridley boards a speeder.
    She has a helmet on like Endor Leia, a design with pop-down goggles.
    A shot of Ridley’s speeder approaching the station (the TMZ set we saw).
    We see the new Stormtroopers on a transport. The flight is turbulent.
    New X-wings.
    TIE Fighters.
    The new Soccer Ball Droid
    The new “Sith” is also revealed. He has a cross-beam lightsaber and the beam flickers strangely.
    The Falcon.

Sounds great, not entirely relevant gif:

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FbIL8P5L.gif&key=Joz4UE_N5ofWj1OU2YKqxw&w=800&h

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Trailer sounds great...I have such a nerd-on right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Sounds great, not entirely relevant gif:

get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FbIL8P5L.gif&key=Joz4UE_N5ofWj1OU2YKqxw&w=800&h

That GIF is always fantastic

Trailer will be attached to The Hobbit

Trailer will be attached to The Hobbit

In Irish cinemas, do you think?

I just ask because we tend to err a bit on the slow side with regards to these things!
    I'll have to watch Desolation of Smaug now.

Theyre saying Dec 17 release of The Hobbit in the US. Doubt it will be attached here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Theyre saying Dec 17 release of The Hobbit in the US. Doubt it will be attached here

Maybe not right away, but possibly after a week or so. I saw Interstellar on opening night and with it being a Warner Bros. movie I expected the new Hobbit trailer to be attached - it wasn't. However, I went again to the same cinema (same screen!) the following week and there it was, the new trailer with an intro by Richard Armitage.

Trailer will be shown in cinemas in the US this coming weekend. No doubt it will hit the web almost immediately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Falthyron wrote: »
    Maybe not right away, but possibly after a week or so. I saw Interstellar on opening night and with it being a Warner Bros. movie I expected the new Hobbit trailer to be attached - it wasn't. However, I went again to the same cinema (same screen!) the following week and there it was, the new trailer with an intro by Richard Armitage.

I'd imagine on opening days they just didn't have time to run the trailers and previews beforehand, not sure what format they come on since films are on hard drives now not reels. I saw Interstellar in IMAX and there was no trailers or ads whatsoever, just bam, started at the logos as soon as the lights went down.

I'll throw this here, because I'll not create another thread at this embryonic stage

http://www.slashfilm.com/rumored-star-wars-spin-off-plot/
    We’ve heard the 2016 Star Wars spin-off movie is about the group of people out to pull off the ultimate heist in a galaxy far, far away.

What the group is trying to steal is one of the most important linchpins in Star Wars history — they are out to steal the plans for the first Death Star.

That’s right, the story is set during the A New Hope era. However, it’s not the Rebel Alliance as we’d all assumed.

As rumor has it, the story follows a group of bounty hunters who were hired for the job — think the Seven Samurai or Suicide Squad meets Ocean’s Eleven in the world of Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That sounds .........good

Advertisement