Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I don't think people realise the implications with this: Forget about Thanos, Darth Vader can be the villain in the next Avengers movie :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Well this certainly came out of nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Vader/Thanos/Maleficent team up to take over the world/universe.

Or Star Wars/Indy/Monkey Island characters in Once Upon a Time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh well, at least we'll probably get the original trilogy on Blu-ray. Eventually. But the people who complained about Lucas raping their childhood had better prepare themselves - because they ain't seen nothin' yet!

I just don't believe that a bigger balls could be made of any new film than of the prequel trilogy.

I can't conceive how professional film makers of any repute could do worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I hope Lucas lives long enough to see some decent new movies made by someone else and then he can finally realise that *yes* he did personally fúck up the series with the prequels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reading a lot of shock and annoyance around the internets, I think people need to take stock of what the Star Wars franchise is before getting upset about this announcement: remove the money from the equation and the franchise is a dead duck & a cultural irrelevance - presided over by a hack whose lucky streak ensured he could run his beloved franchise into the (creative) ground, and demonstrating to the world what Ed Wood levels of writing and directing he'd sank to. Personally I'm glad that the keys are being taken away from him, and by the company who owns Pixar & Marvel (throw in Miramax as well for good measure); what's not to like? This is a good thing methinks.

It's good news for Star Wars fans - with Lucas clearly parked to one side ('Creative Consultant' means he'll get to share conference calls on the scripts, maybe the odd visit to the set), there's a slim yet realistic chance Star Wars might actually become a reasonable franchise once again. Anyone pining for series of films with Empire Strikes Back levels of darkness will be bound to be disappointed, but there's now a ... New Hope (ohoho!) we'll once again see some fun, thrilling space opera on the silver screen again.

I can only imagine the number of scriptwriters, directors & cinematographers who would be lining up to work on Episode 7, especially now that Lucas is effectively gone. Brad Bird's bound to be the initial front-runner to take over directing - the man's practically custom made for the job.

So there'll be a bit more merchandise with Mickey in a Jedi costume - so what? Would it really be any more offensive than all the Jar Jar merchandise knocking about the place since 1999? I don't give a fig about the merch, so I just ignore it. Sure John Carter was a bit of a trainwreck, but I think Disney are the right people to be in charge of this franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Oh goody-Star Wars with a laugh track :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Revenge Of The Sith is a class film. Third best of the six in many a Star Wars fan's list ;)
    It really, really isn't.

Mixed feelings. Don't want to see the original films milked anymore but if it's going to be done then I'm happy it won't be by Lucas. But not every 2 years like a video game cash cow.

Genuinely intrigued to see who they hand it over to, such a big decision. Let's face it they may have dark moments but they are going to be aimed at kids and before the Cars movies I always thought Lasseter would be a great choice, perhaps they will go with a Pixar alumni like Brad bird?

Genuinely intrigued to see who they hand it over to, such a big decision. Let's face it they may have dark moments but they are going to be aimed at kids and before the Cars movies I always thought Lasseter would be a great choice, perhaps they will go with a Pixar alumni like Brad bird?

I doubt they'll be using Pixar alumni. I think the closest thing Disney have to Star Wars is the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Any new movies made will be aiming for that audience and made to that standard (for good for for bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Avengers , Iron Man all those are done with Disney now and theres plenty darkness in those

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I would also have accepted ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I dont really see the problem with this, Disney and Star Wars have always had certain ties, look at the amount of cross merchandising and the theme park rides, Pixar was originally a Lucas company. This could be the best thing to happen the Star Wars franchise since the prequels were ever greenlit, taking complete control away from Lucas could be just the thing to revitalise the franchise and make some decent movies. "they'll make it for kids"? that happened with Episode 1 and look how that turned out, the Star Wars films ARE for kids, its just those kids are now middle aged fanboys :pac:

Look at the directors that have worked with Disney properties lately who might concievably get a crack at helming a SW movie, for the whingers I give you four words: Joss Whedon's Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I doubt they'll be using Pixar alumni. I think the closest thing Disney have to Star Wars is the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Any new movies made will be aiming for that audience and made to that standard (for good for for bad).
    Good comparison with Pirates. And Verbinski's only notable film before taking the reigns of Pirates was Mousehunt, not a million miles from Bird's Ratatouille :p
    Avengers , Iron Man all those are done with Disney now and theres plenty darkness in those
    I guess it all depends on how it is handled, as long as it's better then Anakin's laughable decent into darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So Cartman was right when he called Lucas a GEW. Jebus tap dancing Christ how many ranches does this guy need. $4,000,000,000, has he retained any creative control I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Revenge of the sith was ****!!!

Only attack of the clones is worse then it.

Good comparison with Pirates. And Verbinski's only notable film before taking the reigns of Pirates was Mousehunt, not a million miles from Bird's Ratatouille :p
    Notable to you maybe. Both The Mexican and especially The Ring remake also made big box office. Whilst I don't rate any of the three it's hardly like MH was the only thing he had done prior to POTC.

Anyway, what I meant was I'd be against giving a star wars movie to a pixar guy who had no track record outside of directing digital animation. Let someone else take the risk of giving a live feature to a Pixar guy (like Bird on MI4)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm actually kind of excited. The possiblity of Star Wars movies without Lucas writing or directing is a good thing in my eyes.

Oh and one thing.

GIVE ME MY BOBA FETT MOVIE DISNEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Star Wars 7??? Someone please whack George Lucas.

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »

No need. He's clearly selling up in anticipation of 21/12/2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faith+1 wrote: »

It's Disney's idea in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well **** me. I didn't think it would be possible for me to have any interest in Star Wars as a property, but this announcement has actually got me cautiously optimistic. Star Wars biggest problem has been Lucas since before the prequels. It'll be interesting to see what Disney will do now that it's been rescued from it's abusive, creatively bankrupt father.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Revenge of the sith was ****!!!

Only attack of the clones is worse then it.

Would that not mean you think that the phantom menace was the best of the prequels?

Personally I'm happy with all this as Disney did well with Marvel so far, also I'm with the others and can't wait for the next Kingdom Hearts game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Episode VII: Return of the revenge of the attack of the phantom new hope strikes back.

They also need to retcon out that whole Chewbacca dying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Assuming disney bins Lucas's treatments for films 7 8 9 for being awful how do we see this being played out , do they get a visionary Director in with his own idea's for a trilogy ala Nolan or do they go down the Bond route and make a series of loosely linked Standalone films with whatever director is willing to not shake the boat too much .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

kitakyushu wrote: »

Lucas sounds on the verge of tears there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I don't want to live on this planet anymore :( they better not ruin one of my favourite franchises

Advertisement