Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

No problem Stokolan. In relation to the climote's timer; this can be adjusted in 15-minute increments. 

If you have any other questions just give us a shout.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

I saw the advt. for this device over the weekend and filled in the form. Received call back yesterday from a most courteous and informed person, I regret I forgot his name now. In any event it seems this device needs a SIM card and can cost up to €36 per annum in fees. One then has to pay for the text messages. 
    I have something the same to open a gate but the calls do no go through once the device recognises a number it works.
    There is a device out there available from Apple and Harvey Norman called a WeMo and its plugged into a 13 amp plug and then one plugs whatever device they want into it be it a light or an electric blanket. It's turned on and off over the Internet using either an iPhone or iPad. It's possible to confirm the device has come on or off by the colour of the switch on the iPhone. I find these devices brilliant for €50 or £40 up North. I would have purchased the Climote straight away in order to control the central heating  but was nervous that I was letting myself in for some serious ongoing charges. I do hope Electric Ireland consider a device like the Wemo by Belkin.

Hi kittytwister,

Thanks for the suggestion; we're always on the lookout for potentially useful/energy-saving products to include in our online store.
    In any event it seems this device needs a SIM card and can cost up to €36 per annum in fees. One then has to pay for the text messages.

The cost of the text messages depends on your mobile phone provider and the bundle you're signed up to. In any case, text is just one of the ways you can access climote remotely - you can also do so online, or via the Android/iOS app.
    Received call back yesterday from a most courteous and informed person, I regret I forgot his name now

We appreciate the kind words; good of you to pass this on. :) We'll send this over to the guys in Energy Services and they can decide between themselves who deserves the compliment. ;)

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Hi Guys
    I had a guy come out to install the climate 3 weeks ago and he could not get a good signal. He then sent me via post an O2 sim and I installed it in the unit same no signal. I had to contact climote directly and they told me about an aerial so I rang the installer and he then sent me on an aerial, which I installed today myself. The signal was greatly increased and I have partial use of the hub. I can use the app for boosting etc but the unit will not give me a current status reading. 
    I found the whole install and back up a bit of a let down to be honest, after all I paid for the unit to be installed and there is me changing SIM cards and installing aerials. Don't get me wrong the hub is the bizz and I'm sure ill get it working correctly at some stage but come on advertising '30 min install'  ye should really check up on what's going on with your installers and keep them updated. I'm off tomorrow now to ring installer again and prob climote again to sort this issue out.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

Hi Guys
    I had a guy come out to install the climate 3 weeks ago and he could not get a good signal. He then sent me via post an O2 sim and I installed it in the unit same no signal. I had to contact climote directly and they told me about an aerial so I rang the installer and he then sent me on an aerial, which I installed today myself. The signal was greatly increased and I have partial use of the hub. I can use the app for boosting etc but the unit will not give me a current status reading. 
    I found the whole install and back up a bit of a let down to be honest, after all I paid for the unit to be installed and there is me changing SIM cards and installing aerials. Don't get me wrong the hub is the bizz and I'm sure ill get it working correctly at some stage but come on advertising '30 min install'  ye should really check up on what's going on with your installers and keep them updated. I'm off tomorrow now to ring installer again and prob climote again to sort this issue out.
    Got Climote working today it is def worth it when it's running right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

That we mo looks to be a great bit of kit

Got Climote working today it is def worth it when it's running right

Thanks for the update seanwindle22. If you need any more help or have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Ok I was thinking about ordering a Climote for the house. Disappointed there wasn't a wifi option and saw an explanation for why SIM was being used. However, the reason for sim being used (can be installed nearly everywhere) looks like it may be the main reason I dont get it. Just found from this thread that Vodafone is used. My wife had to switch from Vodafone when we moved house as the coverage out our way is terrible to non-existant. 02 coverage isn't that great either. 3 is the only network that gives good coverage as there is a mast not far away. Not exactly sure if an aerial could fix this either.

So can you use a different sim card to Vodafone? Also, regarding the aerial to boost signal, where does this get installed? Is there much of a wait time to get this installed?

Our current setup has a timer/control, then there are two wall switches beside it, seperate to the timer, one switch is switch on/off upstairs heating and the other switch is for downstairs heating. Will the installer be able to combine all this into the Climote?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Chris,

I have consulted with our Home Energy Services team, who advise as follows:

Vodafone and O2 SIMs can be used. Our installers also carry external Climote aerials if required. The Climote works on a GSM Network, which is separate to 2G/3G.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi Chris,

I have consulted with our Home Energy Services team, who advise as follows:

Vodafone and O2 SIMs can be used. Our installers also carry external Climote aerials if required. The Climote works on a GSM Network, which is separate to 2G/3G.

Regards,
    Una
    Cheers Una, so I guess the only way to find out is to get someone to check when they come to install! Might chance it and see. Its just that I have an 02 phone for support and coverage is poor, out the back of the house where the climote would be the coverage is very bad, lucky to 1 bar the odd time, probably most be out of coverage but maybe the aerial could help.

Any idea of the switches as mentioned above?

Hi again Chris,

If you private message me your contact telephone number and a time it would suit to talk, I can organise a call to you from one of our Home Energy Services team?

Regards,
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oshea.johnny

Hi ,

I had the climote device installed by Damien Hayes on Friday last.
    I must say I was very impressed by Damien and his expertise and professional manner.
    He even pointed out a number of issues with wiring in my property ( a spin off from the celtic tiger years where electricians were doing things on the cheap) and rectified these for me and even connected the Immerssion up to the device (at a small additional cost) which gets added to your esb bill.

1 point to note: If users intend connectiong their Immersion up to the climote they need to have a power cable going from their MCB (Main fuse board) for the property (using a small 20 / 25amp contactor) to wherever the climote is being installed. This is not included in the standard install of the product.

Overall I'm very impressed with the product and I highly recommed it for anyone considering Climote.

Kind regards,

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your feedback and for the nice compliment for Damien - I'll make sure it's passed on. :)

For anyone considering having Climote installed, until 31/05/13 you can get Climote for the reduced price of €269 when you purchase one at our online store using the voucher code EI0105A - that's €130 off the RRP of €399.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Any developments on a wifi enabled climote?

Hi peustace,

At the moment climote is remote controlled via SIM only. The remote access fee of €36 for the first year is included in the current offer of €299 (RRP €399), which also includes installation. Note however that climote will continue to work locally within your home if remote access is not renewed

For others who may not be aware, the remote access feature allows you to access all of climote's functions via the online HUB, the climote APP, or via SMS, effectively allowing you to control climote anywhere either via mobile phone, tablet or laptop/desktop.

If there are any developments in relation to integrating wifi functionality, we will update this thread accordingly.

Thanks for your interest, and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi, can you clarify for me - I'm a bit confused about the wifi (or lack of) bit - am I right in saying that if you can control this from anywhere via a smartphone that the smartphone app is some online messaging system i.e. it's still sending a text message to the sim card?  If so, what would be the benefit of wifi?  Is it that a wifi option would mean controlled over the net without any need for an ongoing service fee at all? Confused!

Hi podgeandrodge,
    am I right in saying that if you can control this from anywhere via a smartphone that the smartphone app is some online messaging system i.e. it's still sending a text message to the sim card?

Yes, all remote control of the actual climote timeclock (the installed unit) takes places via the sim card.
    If so, what would be the benefit of wifi? Is it that a wifi option would mean controlled over the net without any need for an ongoing service fee at all?

That's right. Messages are sent to climote over a GSM Network, something which all mobile phones can utilise, therefore making climote as accessible as possible. This is why we opted for the SIM option, as not everyone will have wifi. And if GSM coverage isn't great in a particular area, a booster can be installed to rectify this.

Just to let you know, we're currently offering a free climote for boiler replacements and heating control upgrades - details here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi. I'm doing major replumbing to my house but really like the remote idea of climote.
    I'll have oil and a solid fuel stove for heating and the same again for my water but with the addition of thermodynamic water heating system. Control all this a proposed timer that will have three zones. Two heating and one water. What I'd like to know is will climote take the place of this time and will it work alongside the stove and thermodynamic heating system

Hi Adam,

I put your query to our Home Services department and they confirmed as follows:

Climote is likely to be compatible with any heating system. In the unusual event of the installer discovering that this is not the case, the customer is refunded in full.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi Adam,

I put your query to our Home Services department and they confirmed as follows:

Climote is likely to be compatible with any heating system. In the unusual event of the installer discovering that this is not the case, the customer is refunded in full.

Kind regards,
    Una

Okay that sounds good. It's would save me a small fortune if I could get this fitted while my plumbing is being fitted. Can any person install this or must it be an electric ireland installer

Hi again Adam,

It depends on who is trained to install it. Electric Ireland works in conjunction with Climote so our technicians are trained.

Electric Ireland also sells the unit for €299 (RRP €399) to those who purchase it in one transaction from ElectricIrelandStore.ie.

Electric Ireland customers who pay by direct debit can pay it off in installments of €14.50 each via their bill, over a period of 24 months. This works out at a total cost of €348 for the unit. More info here on our website.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I have a new heating system (combi boiler) with two zones (upstairs and downstairs). I also have two thermostat wires (one upstairs and one down) - I don't have thermostats on these yet. The boiler is located in the kitchen diner.

Can the Climote be installed beside the boiler and wired to the two thermostat wires to control the heating for both zones?

Hi domcq,

Climote replaces the wall-mounted time-clock next to the boiler. In a scenario like your own, this then remotely picks up the heating system, resulting in the two zones appearing on your smartphone/tablet.

Climote is usually compatible with any heating system, but in the unusual event of the installer discovering this is not the case, the customer is refunded in full.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

domcq wrote: »
    I have a new heating system (combi boiler) with two zones (upstairs and downstairs). I also have two thermostat wires (one upstairs and one down) - I don't have thermostats on these yet. The boiler is located in the kitchen diner.

Can the Climote be installed beside the boiler and wired to the two thermostat wires to control the heating for both zones?
    The climote has 3 relays, so can control upstairs, downstairs and water but the temp is set from inside the device itself, so it doesn't incorporate your two thermostats. What could be done is connect them to the boiler, and then put the climote in at set it at a higher temp. Once the room stat reaches temp it will signal to the boiler to stop. If the climote was lower, it would shut off before the room stat reached temp. It also only sets temperature on zone one only. Hope thats some help and not added more confusion.

Hi domcq,

Climote replaces the wall-mounted time-clock next to the boiler. In a scenario like your own, this then remotely picks up the heating system, resulting in the two zones appearing on your smartphone/tablet.

Climote is usually compatible with any heating system, but in the unusual event of the installer discovering this is not the case, the customer is refunded in full.

Kind regards,
    Una
    When you say it remotely picks up the heating system, does that mean it doesn't need to be wired to the boiler?

Hi domcq,

Sorry for any confusion. The Climote time-clock would need to be wired to the boiler, in the same way as your existing time-clock is.

If you would like to receive a callback from our Home Services team, do private message us your name and telephone number and the best time to call you (up to 5.40pm Monday to Friday).

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi domcq,

Sorry for any confusion. The Climote time-clock would need to be wired to the boiler, in the same way as your existing time-clock is.

If you would like to receive a callback from our Home Services team, do private message us your name and telephone number and the best time to call you (up to 5.40pm Monday to Friday).

Kind regards,
    Una
    Great - I'll arrange for call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi,

I was very disappointed to find that the Electric Ireland offer of a free climote when you subscribe for two years to Electric Ireland wasn't available at the Cork Ideal Homes Exhibition. Do you know why this offer wasn't available to people in Cork and was to people in Dublin?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi GaryCocs,

I regret that we were not in attendence at the recent Cork Ideal Homes Show. If you'd like to PM us your full name, telephone number and address, I can arrange a callback for you from a member of our Home Services team to go through the available offers with you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement