Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurb IPAD 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its pretty clear, its the new one :confused:

How is it clear? Does the Apple site say iPad4?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Who gives a sh*t?

I do, but I don't care whether you do or not, strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

juan.kerr wrote: »
    How is it clear? Does the Apple site say iPad4?

There is no such thing as iPad 4.

Okay, the '4th Generation iPad' colloquially referred to as the iPad 4.

Okay, the '4th Generation iPad' colloquially referred to as the iPad 4.

Oh, you mean the iPad with Retina display????

• Advertisement

Oh, you mean the iPad with Retina display????

Well the third-generation iPad had 'Retina Display' so no, I'm referring to the next generation, the one announced in the last 2 weeks.

Clearly there is confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Apple store have the refurbished iPad 3 for sale for €389, the new ipad is €509!! and has that stupid lighting dock connector.
    There are other (relatively minor - e.g. change from A5X to A6X chip) differences between the 3 and the 4, but Lord Spence outlined the main/most obvious difference by referencing the lightning (slight typo in his OP there) connector.

If it has a lightening connector, it's a 4, if it has retina display and no lightening connector it's a 3.
    I think everyone in the industry referrers to it as the 4.

The real confusion comes from the fact that you can't buy a new 3 directly from the Apple site (as far as I'm aware, though open to correction). Apple now offer the 2 as the 'entry level' at a lower cost and are happy to do so as they can really upsell to the 4 given some of the functionality such as the retina display. The differences between the 3 and the 4 mean that the upsell would be extremely difficult, so they haven't dropped the price of the 3 so that it doesn't impact on sales of the 4 and instead have just retained the supply to mini, 2 and 4.

Well the third-generation iPad had 'Retina Display' so no, I'm referring to the next generation, the one announced in the last 2 weeks.

AFAIR the "iPad 3" was sold/marketed as "the new iPad" (yes it had retina display). It was only referred by apple as ipad 3 in the refurb store after the 4th generation was announced. The "iPad 3" was never marketed as the Ipad with retina display, so I dont agree about the confusion. I do keep up with things regarding apple, but even if I didnt, I would not be spending €400 of my hard earned money withouty making sure I knew exactly what I was buying.

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    There are other (relatively minor - e.g. change from A5X to A6X chip) differences between the 3 and the 4, but Lord Spence outlined the main/most obvious difference by referencing the lightning (slight typo in his OP there) connector.

If it has a lightening connector, it's a 4, if it has retina display and no lightening connector it's a 3.

The real confusion comes from the fact that you can't buy a new 3 directly from the Apple site (as far as I'm aware, though open to correction). Apple now offer the 2 as the 'entry level' at a lower cost and are happy to do so as they can really upsell to the 4 given some of the functionality such as the retina display. The differences between the 3 and the 4 mean that the upsell would be extremely difficult, so they haven't dropped the price of the 3 so that it doesn't impact on sales of the 4 and instead have just retained the supply to mini, 2 and 4.

The 3 is only available as a refurb. The range is mini, 2 and 4, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I hate to see ye discuss something complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#Model_comparison

Despite Apples style over common sense, its pretty clear what they are called by everyone, except Apple. I love the way on their refurb store they call them "Originally released ...." instead of calling them 2, 3 or 4. Though they eventually resort to 3rd generation etc just to be inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

If I'm stating the new well that would nomally mean the one after the last one which was an ipad (3rd gen) simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

baldshin wrote: »
    Bought a refurb iPad 2 two and a half weeks ago for 379, had to return it after two days as it was faulty and still haven't received a replacement. Kick in the teeth that had I waited I could have had the iPad 3 for ten euro more now!!

Ring them and tell them you want a refund as it was faulty and not a replacement, you have 14 days to return and get a refund which you have already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Looks like I'm gonna get this tomorrow based on the tracking number, sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

jamescd wrote: »
    Looks like I'm gonna get this tomorrow based on the tracking number, sweet :)

Yeah I'm delighted, mine changed from 31st to 30th. Never had an Apple product, looking forward to it. Was looking for the kindle fire, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

blaa85 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm delighted, mine changed from 31st to 30th. Never had an Apple product, looking forward to it. Was looking for the kindle fire, but this was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Mine destined for cork has a 24hr delay as the plane didn't take off due to a technical error :(

Mine's showing as:

Dublin, Ireland
    30/10/2012 7:04 Destination Scan
    30/10/2012 7:04 Import Scan
    30/10/2012 5:30 Departure Scan
    30/10/2012 4:48 Arrival Scan

Koeln, Germany
    30/10/2012 3:58 Departure Scan
    30/10/2012 0:48 Arrival Scan

Castle Donnington, United Kingdom
    29/10/2012 22:29 Departure Scan
    29/10/2012 21:35 Arrival Scan

Why it went from UK to Germany, then to Ireland I have no idea. Currently says "In Transit" and that I should get it by the end of the day.

God Father wrote: »
    Mine destined for cork has a 24hr delay as the plane didn't take off due to a technical error :(

My tracker says delay at Cork at 9:30 this morning but still says 30th Oct as est delivery. Could be the same as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Mine's showing as:

Dublin, Ireland
    30/10/2012 7:04 Destination Scan
    30/10/2012 7:04 Import Scan
    30/10/2012 5:30 Departure Scan
    30/10/2012 4:48 Arrival Scan

Koeln, Germany
    30/10/2012 3:58 Departure Scan
    30/10/2012 0:48 Arrival Scan

Castle Donnington, United Kingdom
    29/10/2012 22:29 Departure Scan
    29/10/2012 21:35 Arrival Scan

Why it went from UK to Germany, then to Ireland I have no idea. Currently says "In Transit" and that I should get it by the end of the day.

Where does it say when you should expect delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Hmmm, buying a generation old, refurbished iPad for near €400...

Yep, I'm the one taking the piss.

Its exactly 6 months old. It was the very best iPad 7 days ago. As an aside, I don't think this iPads are really refurbished at all. They are new but end of line, a friend got one delivered to work and it comes in original packages. I doubt if they really re-package the refurbs, but the stores must be returning the iPad3 - now discontinued - to central office, and thats what you get.
    TsuDhoNimh wrote: »

Updating the iPad CPU and GPU is not a minor upgrade, its a major one. The iPad 3 only really got the retina display. Were I in the market for a new iPad it would be the 4, which is much better than the 2, or 3. As it is I am happy with the 2.

The 389 here, http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad is a really good deal.

brennarr wrote: »
    Where does it say when you should expect delivery?

Dunno, can't find it now. But when I checked it this morning (around 10 am), it definitely said somewhere on the page "Delivery by end of day" or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Its exactly 6 months old. It was the very best iPad 7 days ago. As an aside, I don't think this iPads are really refurbished at all. They are new but end of line, a friend got one delivered to work and it comes in original packages. I doubt if they really re-package the refurbs, but the stores must be returning the iPad3 - now discontinued - to central office, and thats what you get.

Updating the iPad CPU and GPU is not a minor upgrade, its a major one. The iPad 3 only really got the retina display. Were I in the market for a new iPad it would be the 4, which is much better than the 2, or 3. As it is I am happy with the 2.

The 389 here, http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad is a really good deal.

BS

its not discontinued

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

AdrianII wrote: »
    BS

its not discontinued

Yes, it is.

Update on my delivery, despite the Customer Service saying it would fly out tomorrow morning after the flight today didn't take off it is now out for delivery :) Fair play TNT.

Got mine at around 4pm. It looks practically brand new, delighted with it so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Got mine at around 4pm. It looks practically brand new, delighted with it so far :D

I heard these might be new as in the original box but advertised as refurbs because there discontinued. Is this true?

I heard these might be new as in the original box but advertised as refurbs because there discontinued. Is this true?

Nah mine says Apple Certified Refurbished at the front of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I'm writing now from my new iPad yipeeeeeeeeee

Well someone named Claire o'Riardain has signed for my ipad :/ Tried my accomodation reception as well as the next accomodation beside us and no sign of it. Also tried the two local shops in the off chance... hmmm

God Father wrote: »
    Well someone named Claire o'Riardain has signed for my ipad :/ Tried my accomodation reception as well as the next accomodation beside us and no sign of it. Also tried the two local shops in the off chance... hmmm

Get out the phone book and go Terminator on her ass.

• Advertisement

Mine doesn't arrive until tomorrow, but I just picked up an Apple Smartcover for under a tenner in Tescos just there. Reduced from 70, it said, although they are 40 on the Apple site.

Advertisement