Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

GRMA wrote: »
    You never could face up to your nations past.

Nothing to face up to to be honest. I wasn't there, I'm not to blame. This isn't about the past though, is it, it is about small man point scoring, that's all.
    Nodin wrote: »
    Well its not exactly a day where we see the great diversity of the Empires forces, is it? Not a British phenomena, mind you, as the French are as bad.

Then you need to watch the parade past the cenotaph, it is very multicultural. As is the CWGC. Soldiers are commemorated equally no matter where in the commonwealth they are from.

May I introduce you to Captain Kinwar Indarjit Singh?
    summerskin wrote: »
    We don't need to. We are aware of our history, and it's nothing we, as individuals, have anything to face up to. We have moved on, the past is gone.

Some of us even drink German beer, how about that?

Personally I prefer British Beer, such as London Pride, John Smiths or Guinness;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I don't blame you. Carling is ****e.

Plus I am not aware of the Germans invading Britain for hundreds of years, subjecting the British people to the same well documented and systematic cultural cleansing (ethnic cleansing is some eyes) as this country was subject to...so yeah we will not let this go anytime soon...comparing it a summer or two of aerial bombing is probably not in the same league but lets not start that again.:D

"As this country"???

Thought you were in the West Midlands enjoying the British way of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

Is this a beer thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

millie35 wrote: »
    Is this a beer thread?

don't mistake carling for beer.

Although I suppose it has gone from talking sh1te to talking pi$$:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Then you need to watch the parade past the cenotaph, it is very multicultural. .....

....you think it commemorates all the former colonies troops that fought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

....you think it commemorates all the former colonies troops that fought?

it represents the unknown soldier....so that could be any soldier that was not identified, and has no known grave.....

the freedom to go and march there should always be upheld.......never mind what the loonies say......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nothing to face up to to be honest. I wasn't there, I'm not to blame. This isn't about the past though, is it, it is about small man point scoring, that's all.

Then you need to watch the parade past the cenotaph, it is very multicultural. As is the CWGC. Soldiers are commemorated equally no matter where in the commonwealth they are from.

May I introduce you to Captain Kinwar Indarjit Singh?

Personally I prefer British Beer, such as London Pride, John Smiths or Guinness;)

I think you will find they are ales and stouts. Not beers.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The Boers might have something to say about that, the Brits forced to use concentration camps and sorched earth policy to win that war as military they were defeated by the farmers.
    Tens of thousands of Africans died in British service in WW1. 40,000 indians died in France, if I recall. Yet the various war monuments aren't exactly icons of multiculturalism, are they?

....."great nation" based on what? Shooting fellas armed with sticks and awarding yerselves medals for it? Seeing as Britain wasn't on the receiving end, I don't see what they have to be bitter about.

Instead of asking me rhetorical questions, you might reread the title of the thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"As this country"???

Thought you were in the West Midlands enjoying the British way of life?

I am indeed in the West Midlands but I feel very much back in the motherland on this thread.

it represents the unknown soldier....so that could be any soldier that was not identified, and has no known grave.....

the freedom to go and march there should always be upheld.......never mind what the loonies say......

...once again, its hard to know what you're addressing, because your post seems to be about something I never said or referred to...

• Advertisement

[/B]

I think you will find they are ales and stouts. Not beers.;)

Ale and stout are types of beer. I suggest you research a little more.

I think you are thinking of lagers or pilsners.

I am indeed in the West Midlands but I feel very much back in the motherland on this thread.

As do I from my location in Galway

The Boers might have something to say about that, the Brits forced to use concentration camps and sorched earth policy to win that war as military they were defeated by the farmers.

Ah but we won. That's what matters. Funny how people praise Russia for using the same policy in ww2 but criticise the British...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Ah but we won. That's what matters. Funny how people praise Russia for using the same policy in ww2 but criticise the British...
    Bit of a difference there between fighting the boers and that nazis.

A proud moment in the history of Empire I'm sure

I didn't refer to the USSR anywhere in my post

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

Maybe this is a larger/pilsner thread.

...I'm fairly sure - nay, certain - that few if any praise the russians for concentration camps, at least in english language fora...

Bit of a difference there between fighting the boers and that nazis.

A proud moment in the history of Empire I'm sure

...well they had rifles, which came as a shock, as you didn't go to Africa to get shot at with a rifle.

...well they had rifles, which came as a shock, as you didn't go to Africa to get shot at with a rifle.
    A lot of Irishmen died fighting for British imperialism in South Africa, which was basically the boers found gold in the Transvaal and the Brits wanted it.

A lot of Irishmen died fighting for British imperialism in South Africa, which was basically the boers found gold in the Transvaal and the Brits wanted it.

Part of the pervisity of the colonial/imperial regimes was that they used conquered peoples to subjugate and conquer others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

At this stage you've just confirmed that you are full of sh!t.
    Pot, kettle, black.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not sure if its been brought up, but theres even alot of English/British people not wearing them around this rememberence day.

Am over in London at the mo, and the appeal this year is being really pushed by all elements of the Media, the press, the news, entertainment, etc etc. So much to a point that people think they are being bullied into wearing one, with reports of some people even being questioned on why they are not wearing one, even if they have donated or done charity work for the armed forces or royal british legion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Lelantos wrote: »
    Pot, kettle, black.
    I'm not the one making stuff up am I?

Pot, kettle, black.
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Either back it up, or do the decent thing and withdraw the remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

mostly irish immigrants wanted that war.....
    and gold.....

mostly irish immigrants wanted that war.....
    and gold.....
    Not many Irish fought on the Boer side, bar Blakes(Irish/American)and later McBride's brigade, the majority of Irish that fought were on the British side, Maurice Moore a Connaught ranger was deeply critical of the tatics used by the British over there, I have refered to them in an earlier post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I'm not the one making stuff up am I?
    Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Either back it up, or do the decent thing and withdraw the remark.

Getting double teamed by The Chucky Brothers, " To me, to you, to me!"

Getting double teamed by The Chucky Brothers, " To me, to you, to me!"

Just do the decent thing, and either back up your statement or withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

This point is probably true. A quick google shows Sinn Fein, "Sociallist Productions', Derry Sinn Fein, RepublicanBookshop.com, all selling the metal badges, but no mention that the proceeds go the the NGA. We can safely assume, therefore, that the proceeds stay with the seller.

Further, the lack of mention of the NGA in this An Phoblacht article and this statement by Gerry Adams. If that wasn't enough, on this video on the Sinn Fein youtube channel you can see Sinn Fein launching the easter lily campaign in aid of the "Belfast National Graves Association" when the NGA say "There are no branch committees, there are no County branches, i.e. Belfast National Graves Association, Tyrone National Graves Association.".

So if you buy a lily from the NGA then they get them money. Any one else and god knows who gets it, Sinn Fein, eirigi, worse?

I also note the NGA are a private company - not a charity. Something I would find extremely dubious.

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    This point is probably true. A quick google shows Sinn Fein, "Sociallist Productions', Derry Sinn Fein, RepublicanBookshop.com, all selling the metal badges, but no mention that the proceeds go the the NGA. We can safely assume, therefore, that the proceeds stay with the seller.

Further, the lack of mention of the NGA in this An Phoblacht article and this statement by Gerry Adams. If that wasn't enough, on this video on the Sinn Fein youtube channel you can see Sinn Fein launching the easter lily campaign in aid of the "Belfast National Graves Association" when the NGA say "There are no branch committees, there are no County branches, i.e. Belfast National Graves Association, Tyrone National Graves Association.".

So if you buy a lily from the NGA then they get them money. Any one else and god knows who gets it, Sinn Fein, eirigi, worse?

I also note the NGA are a private company - not a charity. Something I would find extremely dubious.

There are a number of different lillies on sale. Eirigi have nothing to do with Sinn Fein. The accusation is that the NGA gave funds to SF and was run by IRA members.

Advertisement