Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lelantos wrote: »
    Atrocities like Omagh are nothing to do with civil wars & all to do with murder

Are you going to back up or withdraw your statement now?
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

summerskin wrote: »
    Yes, that must be it, The same as the Nigerians here who don't wear an Easter Lily as they object to Irish people not accepting the $56m that their Prince offered us just to look after his dead uncle's money...

Joking aside, can you explain from a British perspective why the Asian community have shunted the poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

gurramok wrote: »
    Joking aside, can you explain from a British perspective why the Asian community have shunted the poppy?

Because, as backed up in polls, most of them do not feel British. Often they are Muslim first, Pakistani/Bangladeshi second, and British third. Some of them won't wear a poppy due to the UK forces being in Muslim countries.

It's not an unusual phenomenon, it's the same as second generation Irish people in the USA, UK, Oz etc still being "Irish" in their minds, or the Nigerians here who will always be Nigerian first and foremost.

Additionally, a large percentage of the Asian community are young, and the Poppy appeal is far less popular with the younger generation, be them Asian, West Indian, English or whatever. it's something that people usually support more once that are a little older and less bitter about the world.

When I was younger I would have never worn a poppy, for my own political and ideological reasons, the same way i would never stand for the national anthem as it celebrates royalty and i am a republican. Of course, for most people, these beliefs mellow over time and you end up becoming slightly more a part of the establishment, and then wear the Poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Because, as backed up in polls, most of them do not feel British. Often they are Muslim first, Pakistani/Bangladeshi second, and British third. Some of them won't wear a poppy due to the UK forces being in Muslim countries.

It's not an unusual phenomenon, it's the same as second generation Irish people in the USA, UK, Oz etc still being "Irish" in their minds, or the Nigerians here who will always be Nigerian first and foremost.

Additionally, a large percentage of the Asian community are young, and the Poppy appeal is far less popular with the younger generation, be them Asian, West Indian, English or whatever. it's something that people usually support more once that are a little older and less bitter about the world.

When I was younger I would have never worn a poppy, for my own political and ideological reasons, the same way i would never stand for the national anthem as it celebrates royalty and i am a republican. Of course, for most people, these beliefs mellow over time and you end up becoming slightly more a part of the establishment, and then wear the Poppy.

i.e WWI & WWII nostalgia is confined to the more mature WASP...:D

i.e WWI & WWII nostalgia is confined to the more mature WASP...:D

...a nostalgia that usually involves forgetting the brown folk that fought for them....

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ...a nostalgia that usually involves forgetting the brown folk that fought for them....

You mean like the Ghurkas? You know, the ones the majority of British people think have done an amazing job?

Now don't go talking about the government's mistreatment of them, that wasn't by the people.

Funnily this thread is making me more patriotic than i ever used to be. Nothing like having your bitter little stepchild-nation having a go at you to make you realise what a great nation the UK is. Never come across any of that bitterness there. People have moved on, why can't you?

Why do you care, seriously, about the UK? It's of no importance to you. Trust me, the british couldn't give a toss about what happens here, or your "800 years" that is spouted ad nauseum.

Move on, it might cheer you up.

You mean like the Ghurkas? You know, the ones the majority of British people think have done an amazing job?

Now don't go talking about the government's mistreatment of them, that wasn't by the people.

Funnily this thread is making me more patriotic than i ever used to be. Nothing like having your bitter little stepchild-nation having a go at you to make you realise what a great nation the UK is. Never come across any of that bitterness there. People have moved on, why can't you?

Why do you care, seriously, about the UK? It's of no importance to you. Trust me, the british couldn't give a toss about what happens here, or your "800 years" that is spouted ad nauseum.

I can see the veins bulging from here...;)

As a matter of interest, why are you on this site? I have failed to find similar sites in the UK.

Now don't go talking about the government's mistreatment of them, that wasn't by the people..

Tens of thousands of Africans died in British service in WW1. 40,000 indians died in France, if I recall. Yet the various war monuments aren't exactly icons of multiculturalism, are they?

....."great nation" based on what? Shooting fellas armed with sticks and awarding yerselves medals for it? Seeing as Britain wasn't on the receiving end, I don't see what they have to be bitter about.

Instead of asking me rhetorical questions, you might reread the title of the thread as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Condescending, insulting crap!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The poster has not come across any of the bitterness "there" and they have "moved on"....interesting...moved on from what exactly?

Ironic really, that he should say that during Remembrance Week..!

(Post not directed at WileyCoyote)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

they are entitled to feel how they wish.....

poppy sellers do not expect everybody to stop and buy a poppy......it is a choice.....

something i fear many posters would wish to take away......i am appalled by bsome posts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There is loads of condescending, insulting carp on this thread tbh. However this is the only time it has been directed in the Irish direction, not the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

There is loads of condescending, insulting carp on this thread tbh. However this is the only time it has been directed in the Irish direction, not the British.
    You never could face up to your nations past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Are you going to back up or withdraw your statement now?

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?
    Have already told you & told you where to look, not my place to lead you by the hand.

In what way?

Well its not exactly a day where we see the great diversity of the Empires forces, is it? Not a British phenomena, mind you, as the French are as bad.

Our house..our rules..:D

If we want to rant away about all sorts of nonsense to pass the time: we will.

Have already told you & told you where to look, not my place to lead you by the hand.

You supplied some half arsed anecdote. Unless thats a suggestion to insert my head in my own posterior and pull out something from within, I'm not seeing how thats telling me "where to look". Newspaper reports, the result of court cases.....thats whats required.

Now - from the top
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

They are serious allegations, you need to back them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Our house..our rules..:D

If we want to rant away about all sorts of nonsense to pass the time: we will.
    Now now, don't you know that bitter stepchildren should be seen and not heard!:D

• Advertisement

GRMA wrote: »
    They are serious allegations, you need to back them up.
    Really? See you in court.

I can see the veins bulging from here...;)

As a matter of interest, why are you on this site? I have failed to find similar sites in the UK.

Because I live in Ireland. But I agree, there are no mainstream sites in the UK that are obsessed by Ireland in the way posters here are UK obsessed.

You supplied some half arsed anecdote. Unless thats a suggestion to insert my head in my own posterior and pull out something from within, I'm not seeing how thats telling me "where to look". Newspaper reports, the result of court cases.....thats whats required.

Now - from the top

I have actually seen confrontations between NGA & Sinn Fein members outside churches to see who should be selling their easter lillies. Tis gas watching them fight amongst themselves I must say

GRMA wrote: »
    You never could face up to your nations past.

We don't need to. We are aware of our history, and it's nothing we, as individuals, have anything to face up to. We have moved on, the past is gone.

Some of us even drink German beer, how about that?

I have actually seen confrontations between NGA & Sinn Fein members outside churches to see who should be selling their easter lillies. Tis gas watching them fight amongst themselves I must say

More anecdotes? Why don't you either back up what you claim, or withdraw it?

Because I live in Ireland. But I agree, there are no mainstream sites in the UK that are obsessed by Ireland in the way posters here are UK obsessed.

To be honest, I was speaking in a general sense. Seriously, I would like to find a similar website to boards in the UK.

Well you have given us a lot of ammo...how many years again....?;)

I would not take it too much to heart.

We don't need to. We are aware of our history, and it's nothing we, as individuals, have anything to face up to. We have moved on, the past is gone.

Some of us even drink German beer, how about that?

I don't blame you. Carling is ****e.

Plus I am not aware of the Germans invading Britain for hundreds of years, subjecting the British people to the same well documented and systematic cultural cleansing (ethnic cleansing is some eyes) as this country was subject to...so yeah we will not let this go anytime soon...comparing it a summer or two of aerial bombing is probably not in the same league but lets not start that again.:D

I don't blame you. Carling is ****e.

Watery piss. back in the day you wouldn't even use it to make snakebite.

Watery piss. back in the day you wouldn't even use it to make snakebite.

Agreed. Fûcking rank drink.

• Advertisement

Really? See you in court.
    At this stage you've just confirmed that you are full of sh!t.

Advertisement