Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need an IRISH passport to buy alcohol??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Feathers wrote: »
    From what I can see, the act governing it specifically mentions both passport and drivers license as valid forms of 'age documents' as it puts it.

Do you have any references (off Boards.ie :D ) that show this has been overturned since? Not saying your wrong, just interested.

It was the 'Consumer Issues' forum. Found it for you. Check post #6. Apparently there will be a Supreme Court review at some stage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80437632

It contains a link to a case on courts.ie so it's not just boards-thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It was the 'Consumer Issues' forum. Found it for you. Check post #6. Apparently there will be a Supreme Court review at some stage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80437632

It contains a link to a case on courts.ie so it's not just boards-thought.

Yup knew I posted this case before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i went to the off-licence and bought the same drink (but paid about 2 euro extra lol). hmm i doubt that was the case, given that im half black (yes the other passport is african, didn't mention this because i knew it would affect the direction of the thread)

thing is, she didn't say anything about it being company policy, she said it was by order of the gardai
    The order of the gardai to her company perhaps. Trust me if you're if your the person serving you may want to serve the person but you have to really really think about what you do as you are liable to be prosecuted aling with the manager and store..No pressure eh;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Damm Foreigners

Coming over here, trying to buy our Booze.....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0029/s082o28300.jpg

this is my bus id...have another one that says im 18 for buying drink aswel...always works

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Buy Smithwicks, nobody asks for ID

Yet another tip I've learned from After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Buy Smithwicks, nobody asks for ID

Yet another tip I've learned from After Hours

no thanks.

on a side note, just for the craic today while in tesco i bought a bottle of non alcoholic kopparberg !

used the self service till, accepted it and completed transaction without hassle,

but AFTER i got the receipt and was going the assistant was confused why the machine didnt stop me for id....

she asked me for id.. had nothing on me apart from psa license in wallet. no problems.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

no thanks.

on a side note, just for the craic today while in tesco i bought a bottle of non alcoholic kopparberg !

used the self service till, accepted it and completed transaction without hassle,

but AFTER i got the receipt and was going the assistant was confused why the machine didnt stop me for id....

she asked me for id.. had nothing on me apart from psa license in wallet. no problems.

Living up to your name....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Living up to your name....

well i got a strange look off the garda at the breath test check point on the way home when they saw the bottle of kopparberg in my cup holder and i passed the breath test :pac:

took some explaining but atleast she was nice about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Some countries might not have as tight control over the issuing of passports as Ireland has.

laughable comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Luckily our tourist industry isn't largely based on going on the piss ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Yup knew I posted this case before.
    Cheers for the link alright, interesting case. From a layman's reading of it though, I though it was drawing the distinction between having a age card produced (lowercase, as in the 'age document' mentioned elsewhere) & other 'reasonable belief' that existed previously - I.e. you couldn't say 'he was bald so I assumed he was over 18'.

In the case, the girl produced a passport and drivers licence to gain entry which wasn't het own, but we don't know how obvious that should have been to the bouncer without seeing it (I guess one good plus for the age card is that it has a photo of you at 18, whereas if you got your passport at 16 & are claiming to be 21 you could look completely different.) Wasn't sure f Waxy's case fall down on the fact that they accepted a passport at all, or that they accepted one that looked nothing like the girl.

What confuses me is that if the 1988 act introduced Age Cards & the 2000 act amended that to sole defence (just Garda cards, no other docs), does section 15 of the 2003 act (which mentions drivers licence, passport, etc as valid 'age documents') not widen that out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Feathers wrote: »
    Cheers for the link alright, interesting case. From a layman's reading of it though, I though it was drawing the distinction between having a age card produced & other 'reasonable belief' that existed previously. I.e. you couldn't say 'he was bald so I assumed he was over 18'.

In the case, the girl produced a passport and drivers licence to gain entry which were fake, but we don't know how obvious that should have been to the bouncer without seeing it (I guess one good plus for the age card is that it has a photo of you at 18, whereas if you got your passport at 16 & are claiming to be 21 you could look completely different.

What confuses me is that if the 88 act introduced age cards & the 2000 act amended that to sole defence, does section 15 of Tue 2003 act not widen that out again?

Section 15 which inserted section 34(A) has nothing to do with the consumption, sale or supply of drink, it says

The holder of a licence of any licensed premises shall not allow a person who is aged at least 18 years but under the age of 21 years to be in the bar of those premises between 9.00 p.m. and 10.30 a.m. on the following day (12.30 p.m. if the following day is a Sunday) if the person does not produce an age document to the holder.

As I pointed out the case posted in the DC had two charges the first allowing a person under 18 to be on the premises the second charge was serving drink. The DC dismissed the first charge as a passport had been produced (turned out to be fake) but the court felt it could not dismiss the second charge on exactly the same facts. So the challenge was taken to the legislation as it created a strict liability offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

As I pointed out the case posted in the DC had two charges the first allowing a person under 18 to be on the premises the second charge was serving drink. The DC dismissed the first charge as a passport had been produced (turned out to be fake) but the court felt it could not dismiss the second charge on exactly the same facts. So the challenge was taken to the legislation as it created a strict liability offence.

Ah OK, cool — thanks for clarifying again & apologies for my slow uptake :)
    Interesting that they'd make a distinction between the two.

Advertisement