Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist (?) "Joke" in widely distributed email

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

mathepac wrote: »

On which side of the line do ye think the 1970's era "joke" falls? Is it:

a) Good clean fun
    b) Racist

At best the "joke" they refer to is in extremely poor taste, at worst it is racist, portraying the Irishman as a thick gombeen who doesn't know the difference between a saint's name and the name of a food, IMHO

Personally I think it's deplorable that an Irish-registered organisation based in Kilkenny should distribute this kind of neanderthal rubbish and it speaks to their low regard for Irish nationality and ethnicity.

"FreePrizedraws is a part of Lifestyles Online Limited.
    Registered Office: 29 Lower Patrick Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny. Registered Number: 480849 (Ireland)."

I publish their name & address here without fear of retribution from the mods as it appears on the bottom of every email they sent out to-day. If the mods want a copy of the email forwarded, that is not a problem.

The "Joke":

"Englishman, Frenchman and Irishman - A Classic Irish Joke

An Englishman, a Frenchman and an Irishman were in a pub talking about their children.

'My son was born on St George's Day,' remarked the Englishman, 'So we obviously decided to call him George.'

'That's a real coincidence, 'observed the Frenchman, 'My daughter was born on Valentine's Day, so we decided to call her Valentine.'

'That's really incredible, 'drawled the Irishman, 'Exactly the same thing happened with my son Pancake'
    "

To get back to OP's original point. I agree totally with him her, that theses type of jokes have racist undertones.

Some time ago, I was the only Irish person on a forum that is run by an English friend of mine. One of the members, who is from the North of England, started a series of Paddy jokes, depicting the Irishman as be an ignorant buffoon, who is stupid, uncouth and can't speak or understand the English language properly. After about the third one. I Pm-ed my friend, who owned the forum, pointing out how offensive and (I didn't put a tooth in it) RACIST, these jokes were. [I also had clicked on the report button next to the offensive posts.] I asked that they be discontinued.

My friend wrote back saying that he would "whisper in his friend's ear". What he intended to whisper, I don't know, but next morning, there was another of these disgusting jokes posted. I again protested to my friend privately, saying that if these were to continue, I could no longer be a member of that forum, and for him to kindly remove my membership. I never heard from him again. The whole experience was very distressing to me.

I thought his handling of the whole situation was poor, for an owner, moderator of a site. IMO, racism against Irish is alive an well in England. And OP, I think you are perfectly entitled to be incensed at receiving such an email, especially from a fellow Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Eyepatch wrote: »
    To get back to OP's original point. I agree totally with him her, that theses type of jokes have racist undertones.

Some time ago, I was the only Irish person on a forum that is run by an English friend of mine. One of the members, who is from the North of England, started a series of Paddy jokes, depicting the Irishman as be an ignorant buffoon, who is stupid, uncouth and can't speak or understand the English language properly. After about the third one. I Pm-ed my friend, who owned the forum, pointing out how offensive and (I didn't put a tooth in it) RACIST, these jokes were. [I also had clicked on the report button next to the offensive posts.] I asked that they be discontinued.

My friend wrote back saying that he would "whisper in his friend's ear". What he intended to whisper, I don't know, but next morning, there was another of these disgusting jokes posted. I again protested to my friend privately, saying that if these were to continue, I could no longer be a member of that forum, and for him to kindly remove my membership. I never heard from him again. The whole experience was very distressing to me.

I thought his handling of the whole situation was poor, for an owner, moderator of a site. IMO, racism against Irish is alive an well in England. And OP, I think you are perfectly entitled to be incensed at receiving such an email, especially from a fellow Irishman.

Sorry you must be very thin skinned I hear plenty of jokes about Scot and English people here in Ireland

Sorry you must be very thin skinned I hear plenty of jokes about Scot and English people here in Ireland

Depends very much on the situation, don't you think? If you were the only Irish person on an English forum, would you sit back and gladly take these kind of jokes depicting your fellow countrymen as stupid, ignorant, uncouth buffoons, who can't understand, or speak English?

There are also Americans on this forum, who are my friends, who didn't actually get the point of these jokes. Out of politeness, the would come back saying "Oh, Ah, I didn't get it at first, but now I think I get it LMAO! LOL!" I was too embarrassed to explain to them what was behind the jokes.

Depends very much on the situation, don't you think? If you were the only Irish person on an English forum, would you sit back and gladly take these kind of jokes depicting your fellow countrymen as stupid, ignorant, uncouth buffoons, who can't understand, or speak English?

There are also Americans on this forum, who are my friends, who didn't actually get the point of these jokes. Out of politeness, the would come back saying "Oh, Ah, I didn't get it at first, but now I think I get it LMAO! LOL!" I was too embarrassed to explain to them what was behind the jokes.

Sorry I am an Irishman on a Rangers supporters site I can assure I have heard loads of jokes I just tell ones that relate to the English or Scots and as far as I know the Irish are not a separate race. As I said before we need to lighten up in this country.

...... as far as I know the Irish are not a separate race.

So much for what you know, Broxi_Bear_Eire! :eek: :confused:

• Advertisement

So much for what you know! :eek: :confused:

Hhhhmm I think I am correct in my thinking but hey ho be offended by everything and anything ;)

I rarely take offense, but when people state that something offends them, especially something of a racist nature, then I think it is only fair to listen and consider what they are saying, rather than dismissing it out of hand. There is such a thing as emapthy, that helps people understand and respect others' feelings.

I rarely take offense, but when people state that something offends them, especially something of a racist nature, then I think it is only fair to listen and consider what they are saying, rather than dismissing it out of hand. There is such a thing as emapthy, that helps people understand and respect others' feelings.

Well I don't believe its racist to start with and I found it amusing though I had heard it before,
    Sorry I really have more to do with mt life than to get worked up over a silly joke there is a hell of a lot worse happening in the real world to get your knickers in a twist over :p

.... and lives have been lost over less! No more to say!

.... and lives have been lost over less! No more to say!

Right we will all go through life not speaking in case we say something that gets us murdered :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thank God the joke was funny, as the rest of this thread is rubbish.

Racist??? Someone needs a dictionary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Thank God the joke was funny, as the rest of this thread is rubbish...
    Feel free to leave so.
    ...Racist??? Someone needs a dictionary.
    Well you do, as well as needing to read the thread you condemn as "rubbish". Before leaving you might consult the part stating that the definition of racism /racist includes words like "bigoted", "bigotry" and "bigot", someone who holds a view or reaches a conclusion when not in possession of the full facts, or clings to that view despite them.

I wonder who that definition fits?

You may feel comfortable and derive enjoyment from throwing racist, bigoted terms and chants around on the internet or at matches; that does not mean we all have to share your comfort and enjoyment.

I didn't post a query on the Legal Discussion board to discuss dermatological matters, I was hoping for a sensible Legal Discussion; this simple fact seems to have escaped you in your rush to dismiss others who don't share your prejudices.

You may feel comfortable and derive enjoyment from throwing racist, bigoted terms and chants around on the internet or at matches; that does not mean we all have to share your comfort and enjoyment.

I didn't post a query on the Legal Discussion board to discuss dermatological matters, I was hoping for a sensible Legal Discussion; this simple fact seems to have escaped you in your rush to dismiss others who don't share your prejudices.

Oh get off your high horse. You posted on an open forum whinging about a joke and you don't expect a reaction. Did I touch a nerve really your pompous drivel is the real joke here
    If you don't like what I say then put me on ignore also what do you know about what I sing or chant at matches methinks your own bigoted tendencies are coming out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Feel free to leave so.

Well you do, as well as needing to read the thread you condemn as "rubbish". Before leaving you might consult the part stating that the definition of racism /racist includes words like "bigoted", "bigotry" and "bigot", someone who holds a view or reaches a conclusion when not in possession of the full facts, or clings to that view despite them.

I wonder who that definition fits?

Are you implying that I am racist?
    If so, please make your case, and I will gladly report you to a mod.

Anyone who thinks that the joke in the initial post was "racist" clearly doesn't understand what true racism is, and is instead insulting those who have been true victims of it.

Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

In order to be a joke, does some one or some group not need to be the butt if it?, if so are all jokes not racist in some way or another as they all make fun of someone?, should all jokes be banned in case they cause offence? Or should they just be denied airing to prudes with no sense of humour?, would that be discrimination? Who knows? Who cares?, who wishes they never read this thread and this post?

davo10 wrote: »
    In order to be a joke, does some one or some group not need to be the butt if it?, ...
    Not in my opinion, and this is the crux of my OP. Clearly, based on your post, you see humour as needing a victim of some kind. Does it matter if the victim's skin is a different colour to yours, that the victim speaks a different language, is less able than you or is a different gender, age, has a different hair colour or is from a different social stratum?

Once you've finished victimising these people with words is it all right to move on to abusing them physically, just because they're different?

At the risk of dragging out this stupidest of all threads, how were Irish people victimised by the joke in your OP? A previous poster was right, crap like this does a disservice to people who suffer real racist abuse. Can you give us all an example of a joke you find acceptable?, one will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭carrig2

I think people are gone so hung up on what is or is not pc that we are losing the run of ourselves. I agree with previous poster. It does a disservice to people who do suffer racist abuse to worry about that joke.

At the risk of dragging out this stupidest of all threads, how were Irish people victimised by the joke in your OP? A previous poster was right, crap like this does a disservice to people who suffer real racist abuse. Can you give us all an example of a joke you find acceptable?, one will do.
    My comments were exclusively about your post that stated jokes had to have a "butt", your word, or my word "victim".

I asked for a legal discussion in my OP, which is why I posted in this forum; your non-legal opinions are irrelevant in that context and your attempts to drag the discussion OT are just a waste of time and words.

• Advertisement

Are you implying that I am racist?
    If so, please make your case, and I will gladly report you to a mod.

Anyone who thinks that the joke in the initial post was "racist" clearly doesn't understand what true racism is, and is instead insulting those who have been true victims of it.

Shame on you.
    I'm not implying anything; I'm attempting to educate you and to solicit a legal discussion and informed opinion, thus far my OP seems to have failed on all counts.

As to the words that a definition of racism includes as well as the concepts and actions it encompasses - bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, disrespect, hatred, ridicule, stereotyping, etc. all fit there; if those terms seem accusatory to you report away, the problem is not mine. I also fail to recognise any differentiation between what you refer to as "true racism" and any other kind.

My comments were exclusively about your post that stated jokes had to have a "butt", your word, or my word "victim".

I asked for a legal discussion in my OP, which is why I posted in this forum; your non-legal opinions are irrelevant in that context and your attempts to drag the discussion OT are just a waste of time and words.

My understanding is that legal opinions are not allowed, and the OP is being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

My understanding is that legal opinions are not allowed, and the OP is being discussed.

Legal Advice. The absence of legal discussion would render thid forum rather pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

They are only words.

I'm not implying anything; I'm attempting to educate you and to solicit a legal discussion and informed opinion, thus far my OP seems to have failed on all counts.

As to the words that a definition of racism includes as well as the concepts and actions it encompasses - bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, disrespect, hatred, ridicule, stereotyping, etc. all fit there; if those terms seem accusatory to you report away, the problem is not mine. I also fail to recognise any differentiation between what you refer to as "true racism" and any other kind.

And you got all that from the joke?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And you got all that from the joke?

To quote a troll poster in the forum -
    They are only words.
    so why would it interest you how I interpret the "joke"?

To quote a troll poster in the forum -

so why would it interest you how I interpret the "joke"?

I find you branding me a troll as - bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, disrespect, hatred, ridicule, stereotyping, etc..

I find you branding me a troll as - bigotry, intolerance, discrimination, disrespect, hatred, ridicule, stereotyping, etc..
    Some conclusions are unavoidable when faced with a preponderance of evidence; to ignore the evidence and reach a conclusion at variance with the evidence is to be guilty of bigotry, innit, eh, r u wiv me, eh?

Some conclusions are unavoidable when faced with a preponderance of evidence; to ignore the evidence and reach a conclusion at variance with the evidence is to be guilty of bigotry, innit, eh, r u wiv me, eh?

A bigot that you are.

ETA: just to be clear, do yo understand that it is easy for anyone to get offended.

If something offends you, ignore it and carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It seems to me that a number of posters on this thread associate racism only with skin colour, rather than nationality or culture.

Advertisement