Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist (?) "Joke" in widely distributed email

Options
  • 26-10-2012 6:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I know there is a fine line between taking ourselves too seriously and accepting it as fitting that we are the butt of every "stupid person" joke in the world.

I received an email today from a distribution list to which I am a voluntary subscriber since earlier this year.

On which side of the line do ye think the 1970's era "joke" falls? Is it:

a) Good clean fun
    b) Racist

At best the "joke" they refer to is in extremely poor taste, at worst it is racist, portraying the Irishman as a thick gombeen who doesn't know the difference between a saint's name and the name of a food, IMHO

Personally I think it's deplorable that an Irish-registered organisation based in Kilkenny should distribute this kind of neanderthal rubbish and it speaks to their low regard for Irish nationality and ethnicity.

The Olympics and the BBC were quick to disassociate themselves from Daley Thomson's racist Irish remark in an interview during the competitions. I would like to see a public apology from this crowd, if not a prosecution for publishing and distributing racist remarks. Their details are :

"FreePrizedraws is a part of Lifestyles Online Limited.
    Registered Office: 29 Lower Patrick Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny. Registered Number: 480849 (Ireland)."

I publish their name & address here without fear of retribution from the mods as it appears on the bottom of every email they sent out to-day. If the mods want a copy of the email forwarded, that is not a problem.

The "Joke":

"Englishman, Frenchman and Irishman - A Classic Irish Joke

An Englishman, a Frenchman and an Irishman were in a pub talking about their children.

'My son was born on St George's Day,' remarked the Englishman, 'So we obviously decided to call him George.'

'That's a real coincidence, 'observed the Frenchman, 'My daughter was born on Valentine's Day, so we decided to call her Valentine.'

'That's really incredible, 'drawled the Irishman, 'Exactly the same thing happened with my son Pancake'
    "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How is that racist?

And I giggled at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's not racist. :confused: The definition of racist is not "things I don't like".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Racist ?

You may want to look up the meaning of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Ridiculous. Since when are the Irish a different 'race' to the English? Can we not just all get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

It's offensive all right, and a stupid thing to put on an email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

syklops wrote: »
    How is that racist?

And I giggled at the end.

Its does depend to a certain extent to who it was sent to. Lets say you're the only Irish person in a company and keep getting these. Likely bullying (which I realise wasn't exactly the question posed). Like so many things it isn't an issue until someone complains.

I suppose if we take PC to the extreme then it is racist - although you have to read into it a bit. That said there has always been a bit of leeway when it comes to racism about the English, Scots, Welsh, French and Americans. I think you'd have to be quite easily offended to take issue with that joke but I normally have a very thick skin when it comes to this stuff so...
    Racist ?

You may want to look up the meaning of the word.
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Since when are the Irish a different 'race' to the English? Can we not just all get along?

I'm pretty certain racism is based on nationality...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i dont think it is tbh but it just made me coughed up a mouthfull of tea :D
    and they send you one every day where do i sign up?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Some people really need to lighten up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I'm pretty certain racism is based on nationality...

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's not racist. :confused: The definition of racist is not "things I don't like".
    Perhaps, perhaps not but it does include words like "bigot" or "bigotry".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

It's not even a "classic Irish joke" but rather a British one of the John Bull variety - a hangover from the anti Irish stereotype that Irish people were all idiots.

Outdated and shouldn't be sent around.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I know there is a fine line between taking ourselves too seriously and accepting it as fitting that we are the butt of every "stupid person" joke in the world.

I received an email today from a distribution list to which I am a voluntary subscriber since earlier this year.

On which side of the line do ye think the 1970's era "joke" falls? Is it:

a) Good clean fun
    b) Racist

At best the "joke" they refer to is in extremely poor taste, at worst it is racist, portraying the Irishman as a thick gombeen who doesn't know the difference between a saint's name and the name of a food, IMHO

Personally I think it's deplorable that an Irish-registered organisation based in Kilkenny should distribute this kind of neanderthal rubbish and it speaks to their low regard for Irish nationality and ethnicity.

The Olympics and the BBC were quick to disassociate themselves from Daley Thomson's racist Irish remark in an interview during the competitions. I would like to see a public apology from this crowd, if not a prosecution for publishing and distributing racist remarks. Their details are :

"FreePrizedraws is a part of Lifestyles Online Limited.
    Registered Office: 29 Lower Patrick Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny. Registered Number: 480849 (Ireland)."

I publish their name & address here without fear of retribution from the mods as it appears on the bottom of every email they sent out to-day. If the mods want a copy of the email forwarded, that is not a problem.

The "Joke":

"Englishman, Frenchman and Irishman - A Classic Irish Joke

An Englishman, a Frenchman and an Irishman were in a pub talking about their children.

'My son was born on St George's Day,' remarked the Englishman, 'So we obviously decided to call him George.'

'That's a real coincidence, 'observed the Frenchman, 'My daughter was born on Valentine's Day, so we decided to call her Valentine.'

'That's really incredible, 'drawled the Irishman, 'Exactly the same thing happened with my son Pancake' "

Not sure is the joke is the joke or the whole post is the joke. Could you clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How is it racist or a joke?

I was in the Pub with Jean-Luc, and Cedric. We were having a private discussion, and we told each other our childrens names, and how we decided upon naming them..

I think you meant, it's a "Coincidence".

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

My daughter is called shrove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Would it have caused less/no offence to you if Paddy Irishman had come first and called his son Patrick and Paddy Englishman was the guy who named his son pancake?

I seriously doubt you would have started a thread if it had.

It's a joke and not even an outlandish one at that. If you don't like it then make a complaint to the company that sent it to you and ask them to take you off their mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Its a joke and a funny one at that. Your offended the Irish company said an Irish joke to the Irish?

MadsL wrote: »
    Not sure is the joke is the joke or the whole post is the joke. Could you clarify.
    I think your confusion and that of your peers is based on the fact that this thread is "Legal Discussion" and not "After Hours". I know that's not a racist remark, but is it bigoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Worse things happen at sea.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    ... If you don't like it then make a complaint to the company that sent it to you and ask them to take you off their mailing list.
    I diid all that (and more) before I posted here, but thank you for the suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

That's not funny or racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just respond to the owner of the list and say that you're offended.

If it's a commercial body, complain to the management directly if you're that offended by it.

People send stupid stuff by email sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

It's a joke based on widely-held national stereotypes, yes, but unless it's within a context of contempt or abuse or power-imbalance, it's just poking fun, it's not racism. However, the issue here is that a corporate e-mail often arrives devoid of this all-important context - and as such it is openb to the worst possible interpretation. Thus it's generally unwise to write these kind of things. But 'unwise' was never the same as 'racist'.

For the record, I must have told and/or laughed at a thousand 'Paddy Irishman' jokes, speaking as an Irishman - it's a funny and flexible format, easily applied to Priest/Vicar/Rabbi, Brunette/Redhead/Blonde, Science/Engineering/Arts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Can't say I'm offended by it. I know for a fact there are Irish people that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since Irish people are an easily offend lot then yeah!*

*just as "racist" as the joke, purporting all Irish are something is probably not good

But feck it, it's a good joke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I didn't know there was a stereotype that Irish people were buffoons?! But I am only 23 so was not alive during the period where we hated the Engllish.

I didn't know there was a stereotype that Irish people were buffoons?! But I am only 23 so was not alive during the period where we hated the Engllish.

You've never heard an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman joke before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

You've never heard an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman joke before?

I have but the nationality seems fairly irrelevant and interchangeable.

I have but the nationality seems fairly irrelevant and interchangeable.

Responses like this make me think there is hope for mankind after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

If that email is one of your biggest worries in life then I'd love to be in your shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

MagicSean wrote: »
    Can't say I'm offended by it. I know for a fact there are Irish people that stupid.

Our stupidity is legendary.

Did you here the one about the Ghost Estate builder who drove his cement truck into the Dail?

The joke doesn't actually have a punchline - it just goes on and on, until you're in tears, and clawing at your face in maniacal laughter wishing it would all stop. He blamed the government, Anglo, ......the people thought he was some kind of hero (striking back against the people who had bankrupted the country) .....then he built Achil Henge.

Advertisement