Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite national anthem?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

A tradition at Chicago Blackhawk games. My favourite performance of the American National Anthem.

If that was at an ireland match, and the fans did that, it was probably have pissed me off

but damm, them guys really do love America!

(why cant mitt romney?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Irish National Anthem
    Italian
    French
    USA
    Japan (only because, like all things Japanese, it's very, very odd.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Ireland
    Scotland
    Australia
    France
    Cuba
    India(just for the kinda sadness of the music)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Amhrán na bhFiann , especially this version from RTE closedown in the 80s ...

The unofficial anthem of Australia which many Aussies think should be their official national one ' I Am Australian '

Some associate this with the Nazi regime when in fact ,it was written long before by German composer Hayden ...powerful stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The result was bad, but I thought the national anthems played at Ireland v Germany game sounded class here.

Few Germans we met after brought it up and said it sounded great.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The australian anthem is a bit meh, but this version rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know about "favourite", but the Chinese anthem, "The March of the Volunteers", is a bit bonkers (IMHO):

:cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

The Japanese one is pretty good. Four lines long and it refutes the concept of erosion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The French national anthem is very good.

Our one is great too when it's sung right.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

O, flower of Scotland, when will we see your likes again.......................... Also love the Italian one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

A tradition at Chicago Blackhawk games. My favourite performance of the American National Anthem.

As a counter version in some ways,I came across this version,which stopped me in my tracks.......

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=233390960136570

Dry eye in the House time ?

Puts all the hoo-hah over Beyonce's lip synching into stark perspective too !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

We Can Rule You Wholesale the anthem of Terry Pratchett's Ankh Morpork.
    The only anthem where the second verse is made up of muttering with the last line sung really really loudly since that's what everyone does when singing any anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It's hard to beat Le Marsellaise in fairness. Listening to it being belted out by a stadiuim of 80,000 French folk made many hairs on the back of my neck rise up!!

With our own Soldiers Song and Fratelli d'Italia coming in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Our national anthem would be less abysmal if we got to sing it in its original English. As a result of the Irish version “most” sporting events I’ve been to have seen a half mumbled version offered up and it’s hardly rousing.

IMO the best anthems are the ones you can belt out like the French, German and American ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The German national anthem is absolute class!

Followed by the Italian one, another classic!

In work now but can't find the clip but before Chile played Brazil in The World Cup in France '98 there's a great clip of Ivan Zamarano belting out the Chilean anthem before the game, worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

kfallon wrote: »
    The German national anthem is absolute class!

Followed by the Italian one, another classic!

In work now but can't find the clip but before Chile played Brazil in The World Cup in France '98 there's a great clip of Ivan Zamarano belting out the Chilean anthem before the game, worth a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQeUOF8eY6E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Always liked the French national anthem - hearing it being sung by them in the Stade de France was amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm going to go with God Defend New Zealand as sung by Hayley Westenra. An Irish man wrote the English words and it's rather rousing.
    It's actually quite good!
    The lyrics were definitely written by an Irishman :D and invokes religion quite a bit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Defend_New_Zealand#Lyrics
    From dissension, envy, hate and corruption guard our state
    guard our country's spotless name
    should foes assail our coast, make us then a mighty host
    may our mountains ever be freedom's ramparts on the sea
    preaching love and truth to man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

The Brazil anthem before the Spain game in the final of the Confederations cup this Summer was amazing. They stopped the music but 70000 people kept singing an additional verse along with the players, pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmRFIJETRM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

The Irish one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

O Canada ( of course!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Союз Советских Социалистических Республик

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if this has been posted before, but it's stirring: (best with the sound right up)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Russian and Italian anthems are my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

I always liked this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Id happily listen to my own one if someone felt like PMing me a link where someone living in germany might watch the football game :)

Advertisement