Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

What back to back has done (I think) is estimate an average change in the Hpat score, compared that with the average (of the five med schools) change in points requirement, and, from that, inferred what the change in LC-obtained CAO points requirement was each year. I think that analysis is flawed: the data (from last year's Hpat thread) is incomplete and unreliable; the Hpat change isn't uniform; and the majority of successful applicants score above 550, so every point change of theirs only shows up as 0.2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Will the LC results coming out tomorrow have much of an influence on our predictions for entry points? Like the vibe I'm getting from boards is that it's all about the HPAT and your percentile etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Will the LC results coming out tomorrow have much of an influence on our predictions for entry points? Like the vibe I'm getting from boards is that it's all about the HPAT and your percentile etc.
    I really doubt it, the leaving cert is based on the bell shaped curve so not muchdeviates in the general results.

The amount of time I have spent on boards this summer is a joke. I'm literally waiting for any new post from anyone. I'm actually embarrassed, because it doesn't matter how much we discuss it or how much we over-analyse the situation, none of us have any idea whatsoever how the points will go in the end...not that that's going to help me sleep until Monday

The amount of time I have spent on boards this summer is a joke. I'm literally waiting for any new post from anyone. I'm actually embarrassed, because it doesn't matter how much we discuss it or how much we over-analyse the situation, none of us have any idea whatsoever how the points will go in the end...not that that's going to help me sleep until Monday
    It was painful being on this when there was the lull in posts a few weeks ago, I didn't know what to do with myself.

• Advertisement

sillydog10 wrote: »
    It was painful being on this when there was the lull in posts a few weeks ago, I didn't know what to do with myself.

Same. The disappointment of logging in and seeing zero new notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

Same. The disappointment of logging in and seeing zero new notifications.

however maybe that was better ,than logging in and finding a post from me ,only making matters worse
    i have rechecked my figures and there are reliable ,sorry!!!!!!!

Hahaha you're grand! You have a load of research done, and it's always refreshing to hear a new perspective on things :) I don't doubt your figures either, you're obviously putting a lot of effort in man! Don't let anyone stop you doing your thang

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Everytime I click this thread, I just hope it's someone guessing the entry points to see if I'd get in with mine. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wildmmman

Would it be possible for you to share your actual CAO points predictions - you seem to be the most well drilled person on this forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 D3mand123

Is there any chance it'll drop by 19 points :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

wildmmman wrote: »
    Would it be possible for you to share your actual CAO points predictions - you seem to be the most well drilled person on this forum!

For the past 3 years, there was a thread started up by partyatmygaff a few days before tha CAO offers, trying to predict points for Med/Pharm/Dent. It's.. as the title says "reasonably reliable".

Just wait for that to appear I'd say! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014957

Here's the link to last year's.

comeclosa wrote: »
    For the past 3 years, there was a thread started up by partyatmygaff a few days before tha CAO offers, trying to predict points for Med/Pharm/Dent. It's.. as the title says "reasonably reliable".

Just wait for that to appear I'd say! :)
    Last year it started the Wednesday of results so keep the eyes peeled!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

Well is everyone delighted? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aiaiclor

hey guys!
    I sat my LC and HPAT last year, and got 78th percentile (182) and 595 points in the leaving. When I first got my HPAT results, I put my hopes for medicine to the side, I really did not expect to get anywhere near the points. I think what I needed was 739 for Galway, I had 741 but the points were expected to go up so I really had lost hope.

The day of the offers came and lo and behold- I got offered a place in Galway Med. 2nd round offers came and I got RCSI. 3rd round offers came and I got UCC!

The reason I am posting this is not to brag- my best friend got 625 and 98th percentile, I know exactly how it feels to think that you have messed your chances up, that you are inferior to your peers. I am putting this up to let everyone know that hope should not be lost until the day of the offers!!

With the points expected to drop this year, it sounds like a lot of you guys are gonna be in for one hell of a year next year! Best of luck guys, go out and enjoy tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loup1995

Hate to be another one of these people, 595 points with hope of a 605 upgrade, combined score of 729 as it stands, how slim are my chances of RCSI ?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aiaiclor

i think you have a chance of getting into Galway? no way of knowing for sure until monday. I know last year that a lot of people rejected 2nd and 3rd round offers for rcsi- hold out hope until the end if you don't get it first time!! good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Loup1995 wrote: »
    Hate to be another one of these people, 595 points with hope of a 605 upgrade, combined score of 729 as it stands, how slim are my chances of RCSI ?? :(

You have 729 right now? You've a fairly good chance I'd say. HPAT scores will bring points requirements down maybe 11-13 points.

You have very good chance, sure last year you'd have had 744 with that.

Please tell me everyone did awful in the LC so all the points drop and I get enough for UCD med? :L :L Clutching at straws here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

Well done, how are u getting upgrade? :-)

Given the occasion that's in it, with only 4 more days till the big reveal, I'm going to throw up my last prediction of points. Enjoy (or not, depending on your circumstances).

Trinity: 737
    UCD: 736
    UCC: 731
    RCSI: 730
    NUIG: 728

Wouldn't mind hearing anyone else's opinions! Cheers

Given the occasion that's in it, with only 4 more days till the big reveal, I'm going to throw up my last prediction of points. Enjoy (or not, depending on your circumstances).

Trinity: 737
    UCD: 736
    UCC: 731
    RCSI: 730
    NUIG: 728

Wouldn't mind hearing anyone else's opinions! Cheers
    I personally think you'll have to drop 3 points to everything there, I just can't see a 90th percentile with 551 not getting you into UCC without a 3 point cushion, it has never been that close and I doubt it will be unless the amount of seats has changed somewhere (less seats I mean). Also, the fact that way less people sat hpat meaning that the people in the upper percentiles are less could contribute an extra point drop, coupled with the cancellation of the Malaysian contract in nuig

Predictions this year seem a lot harder than previous years since the change in weighting, number of seats and the amount of people who sat the exam have changed big time

Predictions this year seem a lot harder than previous years since the change in weighting, number of seats and the amount of people who sat the exam have changed big time

Yep I agree. I think my previous predictions are the worst-case-scenario-highest-possible entry points. I also think we could see something like:

Trinity: 735
    UCD: 734
    UCC: 729
    RCSI: 728
    NUIG: 727

^^This is a definite possibility, and there's nothing stopping the points from dropping this low. I just happen to be an awful pessimist

I messed up my CAO, I want UCC but RCSI is higher on the list. Oh the humanity.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, the numbers look ridiculous low but I think they are very realistic, since all I did was just scale back the score I'd have had last year and compare it to the minimums of the colleges, this isn't taking into account all of those other factors because there just isn't a half realistic way of getting them.
    Trinity=733
    Ucd=732
    Ucc=727
    Rcsi=726
    Nuig=725

I'm going to go out on a limb here, the numbers look ridiculous low but I think they are very realistic, since all I did was just scale back the score I'd have had last year and compare it to the minimums of the colleges, this isn't taking into account all of those other factors because there just isn't a half realistic way of getting them.
    Trinity=733
    Ucd=732
    Ucc=727
    Rcsi=726
    Nuig=725

Where are you hoping to go yourself?

Where are you hoping to go yourself?
    UCC, it'll suck if I don't get it since I already have my gaff sorted out (its literally minute away from Brookfield where most of the med lectures are on) since I've already done a year of college there, what about yourself?

• Advertisement

You guys really think they'll drop that low?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement