Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue still alive and well in NW donegal (deflector)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wonder where TV3 is sourced from?

It's weird that the people near Castlebar had great RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 on analogue and no TV3, now it's the opposite :D

BBC2 on C53 likely suffers interference from Truskmore, and perhaps BBC1 on C47 from Achill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Ive heard reports that the deflector near Castlebar, Co.Mayo has returned to the air. (It was supposed to have ceased permanently on 1st May 2012) :confused:

Ch 39 (H) TV3
    Ch 42 (H) ITV
    Ch 47 (H) BBC1
    Ch 53 (H) BBC2
    Ch 56 (H) Channel 4

It also ocasionally transmits local programming !!!

MCTV's group of deflectors went off the air on that date. The Castlebar deflector was run by a separate operator and remained on air after that. The brother in laws house still has an aerial up which received transmissions from the Westport deflector (one of MCTV's).

UTV on the Westport deflector, like Castlebar, was also on ch 42. Once that was gone in May, a weak picture from C'bar was visible at that time. I actually checked ch 42 a couple of days ago to see if there was anything and there wasn't. I'll check again to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Why was nothing done to allow a legal terrestrial retransmission of UK channels in the Republic after ASO for which viewers who cannot access satellite or cable could have paid a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

endakenny wrote: »
    Why was nothing done to allow a legal terrestrial retransmission of UK channels in the Republic after ASO for which viewers who cannot access satellite or cable could have paid a subscription?

The planned commercial DTT project, which would have included the UK channels, ended in failure in early May 2010.

In your first post and thread here on boards, during the negotiations process you appeared to have a different opinion on this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64556894, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64557138.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So much effort was put into this financially un-viable idea that it held up Saorview for 12 years on one level and 2 years on another.

Someone has to pay and you can't compete with free via Satellite. If Freesat had existed the Cable networks, MMDS and so called "Deflectors" would never have existed. Cable and MMDS later became multichannel TV in the modern sense, but the original market was to provide BBC & ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I doubt if there are any who cannot access either cable or satellite. Well , on reflection, maybe a very small few. It would not make economic sense as was illustrated by the non-interest in providing the service you mention.

The Cush wrote: »
    In your first post and thread here on boards, during the negotiations process you appeared to have a different opinion on this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64556894, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64557138.
    That was before I realised that some people cannot use satellite or cable because:

1. They live in rented accomodation and the landlord won't give permission.

2. Line of sight is blocked by trees that cannot be cut down because either they're on someone else's land or there's a preservation order on them.

3. Their homes are too remote to access cable.

watty wrote: »
    So much effort was put into this financially un-viable idea that it held up Saorview for 12 years on one level and 2 years on another.

Someone has to pay and you can't compete with free via Satellite. If Freesat had existed the Cable networks, MMDS and so called "Deflectors" would never have existed. Cable and MMDS later became multichannel TV in the modern sense, but the original market was to provide BBC & ITV.

If the transmission network had been privatised it would have been run more efficiently. Therefore, the fees that commercial broadcasters would have had to pay to be able to operate pay-DTT would have been lower.

No, Arqiva would likely charge more. They'd have a monopoly.

The DTT fees are not high. You can ignore any statement by TV3.

Also we would do it wrong. Eircom is used as case study by the World bank on how NOT to privatise and how a privatised monopoly ended up with highest price in World for line rental (thus Lines > 82% to under 50% and net asset stripping, no net investment).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

That was before I realised that some people cannot use satellite or cable because:

1. They live in rented accomodation and the landlord won't give permission.

2. Line of sight is blocked by trees that cannot be cut down because either they're on someone else's land or there's a preservation order on them.

3. Their homes are too remote to access cable.

So you therefore assume that:

1. The landlord will allow an antenna to be mounted but not a dish.
    2. Line of sight is clear enough for DTT.
    3. DTT is available in these remote areas but not satellite.

Perhaps there are some that fit into these categories but not many.

• Advertisement

Maybe campaign that Landlords should provide communal system if mor than one dwelling in building and otherwise has no right to prevent install done according to local council regulations by a reputable company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Ive heard reports that the deflector near Castlebar, Co.Mayo has returned to the air. (It was supposed to have ceased permanently on 1st May 2012) :confused:

Ch 39 (H) TV3
    Ch 42 (H) ITV
    Ch 47 (H) BBC1
    Ch 53 (H) BBC2
    Ch 56 (H) Channel 4

Checked again. Definitely a weak picture on ch 56 (Channel 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

Was up in the Fanad area, Donegal at Halloween surprised to find analog still on Channels 39,42,45,49.Not sure where from.Also existing setup was picking up Saorview on 30,53and 55(,Holywell Hill,Letterkenny and Fanad) Tried in vain to pick up Limavady with a Televes aerial and Freeview box-nothing.Then tried a Unix 52 with masthead amp and surprisingly got about 50 Freeview channels.Surprisingly because the aerial was aimed at Sliabh Sneacht mountain in line with Limavady.So it should be possibly to get both Saorview(Holywell Hill,not Fanad tansmitter) and Freeview on the one aerial if you live in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Are any of these analogue transmitters using NICAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Was up in the Fanad area, Donegal at Halloween surprised to find analog still on Channels 39,42,45,49.Not sure where from.

In 2011 that group of frequencies were licensed to Mayo Community Television at Farnacht in Mayo, not licensed in Donegal in 2011 or 2012.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Are any of these analogue transmitters using NICAM?

Very doubtful.
    A Nicam encoder is very expensive. AFAIK no domestic modulator ever had Nicam (NICAM VHS only records in Analogue FM stereo and plays Mono on RF and Stereo analogue audio on RCA jacks/SCART. Maybe some CATV/MATV head end modules do it, but hardly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

watty wrote: »
    Very doubtful.
    A Nicam encoder is very expensive. AFAIK no domestic modulator ever had Nicam (NICAM VHS only records in Analogue FM stereo and plays Mono on RF and Stereo analogue audio on RCA jacks/SCART. Maybe some CATV/MATV head end modules do it, but hardly cheap.

I've got a Nicam encoder in my garage made by SPT in Essex. It came cheap from a radio rally.
    The Nicam signal is inserted at IF 39.5 MHz. This requires a semi professional modulator which modulates at IF and up converts. Got one of those at the rally as well. It operates on ch61 and am using it a present to give an analogue signal around the house

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    In 2011 that group of frequencies were licensed to Mayo Community Television at Farnacht in Mayo, not licensed in Donegal in 2011 or 2012.
    Most of the allocations received by the deflectors are different to the actual channels used. Also a lot of deflectors changed frequencies when DTT was switched in in 2008/09 in order to prevent interference, and because RTENL were quatro broadcasting 4 muxes (likely to deliberately cause interferecen.)

eg
    East Ferry allocaiton 21 24 28 32
    East Ferry actual 34 47 50 52
    Myrtleville allocation 41 44 47 51
    Myrtleville actual 39 43 46 51

etc.

winston_1 wrote: »
    I've got a Nicam encoder in my garage made by SPT in Essex. It came cheap from a radio rally.
    The Nicam signal is inserted at IF 39.5 MHz. This requires a semi professional modulator which modulates at IF and up converts. Got one of those at the rally as well. It operates on ch61 and am using it a present to give an analogue signal around the house

Well ex-broadcast ones will likely turn up for nothing now. Obviously I was writing about catalogue purchases rather than someone going round the Rallies and hoping to find 4 Nicam generators.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oldperson

I'm in Donegal at the moment and had trouble persuading people that I was still receiving analogue channels. I'm pleased to see I was not imagining it.

I have an Alba Saorview box and, although I assume I should be able to receive some Freeview channels via the Alba box now that the strength of the Freeview signals has been increased, the Alba box asks for the country (when in the installation menu) and, if you input Ireland, it only gives the Saorview channels. It does not offer UK as a country option. Does anyone know a way round this?

I would like the main UK channels in place before we lose the analogue channels which are currently being received in reasonable quality; it will be a shame if we lose them.

PS Perhaps I should be asking about the Alba Saorview box in a different forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If it wont detect them automatically (it should) do a manual scan on the frequencies you require, bypass the automatic scan.
    If you want Limavady, scan channels 49,50,54,55,58 and 59, although 55 is HD DVB-T2, so maybe forget that one.
    Strabane is 39,42 and 45 (one of those is DVB-T2 as well)
    Don't know which part of Donegal your'e in, so I dont know which RTE transmitter / channel number you want.
    Holywell Hill is 30,
    Letterkenny is 53,
    Stranorlar is 47.
    You will have to scan in each channel individually.

I tried a manual scan after my post to this forum and found that there was a reaction on Channels 47 and 53 but I don't know how to then pick up and store the individual channels - the Alba instruction booklet did not help me much!

I'm in the Gaoth Dobhair area.

Depending on what part of Gweedore you are in, try 47 (Aranmore) or 22 (Magheroarty) for Saorview. An automatic scan should have worked.
    You are unlikely to get Freeview out there, but you can try.
    Incidentally, I tried an Alba box bought by a friend, it got nothing, at all.
    Plugged a Logitech Saorview tv into the same aerial point in her house, everything, Saorview and Freeview, perfect reception.
    Suggests the Alba box is rubbish. She took it back and exchanged for another Alba box- same result, nothing, so I would get my money back if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

I'm an installer which covers gaoth dobhair, I can guarantee, you will not receive any Freeview channels here, this is due to all the mountains in the way, The only way to get UK channels in that area now is through FTA satellite, Mulladuff is still transmitting analogue but will be turned off shortly.

your box is reacting to 53 and 47 as is the norm here as 47 is saorview Arrain Mhor and 53 is truskmore for sligo, you would of had a truskmore aerial for TV3. you wont get 22 (Magheroarty) again due to hills/mountains.

The alba box is a decent box, its a vestel based box like most saorview boxed

Must have come upon two duff boxes then. I have a Metronic (Vestel too) FreeviewHD box for the past year, and it is troublesome at times, but not on reception issues.
    I supose a factory can't churn out 100% reliable product.

Thanks for the replies.

My Alba box does not pick up any Freeview channels (I've tried both automatic and manual scans) but I've had it for a couple of months so I can't see that I can take it back to Argos as it does pick up (only) the Saorview channels. I had been hoping that the Alba box would pick up Freeview after the main analogue service was turned off and the Freeview signal strength boosted but it hasn't.

We are in line of sight to Aranmore and on a hill but it doesn't help re Freeview! We have mountains/hills on 3 sides and are only open on the side towards Aranmore.

Are any of the Saorview boxes likely to be any more successful than the Alba box?

The current analogue service is appreciated; it's a real pity that it's to be turned off.

No chance of Freeview there. You need a satellite box and dish to get the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

oldperson wrote: »

Are any of the Saorview boxes likely to be any more successful than the Alba box?

The current analogue service is appreciated; it's a real pity that it's to be turned off.

No you will not pick up freeview with any box, its not possible unless you have a pole that can reach above errigal :-) .

The analogue deflector service is no longer needed, FTA will give you much better picture and many more channels, just give your local installer a ring,:-)

We were quite happy with that tv being able to pick up the 4 RTE and the 4 main UK channels. Now we have all the Saorview channels and have, temporarily, 4 surprisingly good quality UK channels and would be quite happy with those.

We have an old SKY box and a dish but would need a new lnb and to fit quite a bit of satellite cable to have FTA to that tv but we'll do nothing meantime.

Originally the Saorview.ie people thought we might pick up some Freeview channels but it looks like the geography is against us. Thanks for the replies; at least we now know that there is no point in trying to get any Freeview channels via an aerial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

was in Castlebar last week and can confirm the deflector there is /was still carrying the UK channels (but no TV3)

Wonder what will happen after tonight ?

(suspect it will remain on for at least a couple of days)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement