Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue still alive and well in NW donegal (deflector)

Options
  • 25-10-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

The mullaghduff deflector system is still active and pumping out 5 analogue stations. Wonder how long they will get away with this? Picture quality is quite good now that most
    other sources of interference are gone.
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

darth_maul wrote: »
    The mullaghduff deflector system is still active and pumping out 5 analogue stations. Wonder how long they will get away with this?
    Still legal until 31 Dec 2012.

There are 4 licensed deflector sites in Donegal (and 1 each in Sligo and Waterford)
    MAGHEROARTY
    CRUIT ISLAND
    ARDUN HILL (The Glen)
    DRUMNACART

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Seriously that's amazing that they weren't ordered to close at DSO, causing huge confusion here especially among elderly, who were repeatedly told that all transmissions would cease., I can't understand why the operators didn't take the opportunity to close while all other analogue transmissions were being turned off. They are now even more pointless than ever before. all the others have long closed. Mullaghaduff is the drumnacart one.

Seriously that's amazing that they weren't ordered to close at DSO,

Only if their transmissions interfered with DTT which was a possibility when a 4 mux DTT service was planned a few years ago.

Have got 2 calls from people that I have put FTA systems in for complaining that I lied to them as they can still get all their UK channels through the aerial, won't believe that it will eventually go

won't believe that it will eventually go

of course they could continue after that date without a licence.

Comreg - Response to Consultation and Decision: The future of Deflector Licensing in Ireland, Jun 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Seriously that's amazing that they weren't ordered to close at DSO, causing huge confusion here especially among elderly, who were repeatedly told that all transmissions would cease., I can't understand why the operators didn't take the opportunity to close while all other analogue transmissions were being turned off. They are now even more pointless than ever before. all the others have long closed. Mullaghaduff is the drumnacart one.

31 December was decided on long before the 24th October was.
    It is still the case that deflectors have to vacate if they were to clash with any new national DTT transmitters or any digital dividend spectrum (upper UHF) users actually commencing services in the area concerned before 31th December (not going to happen).

The closure of most other deflectors in the past couple of years had a lot more to do with financial reasons (dwindling subscriptions from viewers) than ASO of the national network. If there was no FTA satellite of BBC and ITV a lot more of them would still be on air right now, and looking to be able to continue into 2013 with either analogue or a conversion to DTT transmissions. Analogue deflector style operations in the USA can still continue to September 2015, even though ASO for the main transmitters there was in 2009 !

Its possible some deflector viewers in Donegal have a satellite shadow of 28E, so still a worthwhile service for some people.
    Have got 2 calls from people that I have put FTA systems in for complaining that I lied to them as they can still get all their UK channels through the aerial, won't believe that it will eventually go

Had the deflectors earlier announced that they too would close on the 24th October and later changed their mind?

Facilitating sellers of satellite systems for UK channels is not going to be seen as good enough reason by the authorities to close them down now.

Antenna wrote: »
    31 December was decided on long before the 24th October was.

The decision not to extend the licensing of deflectors beyond 31st Dec was only made in Jun. The licences had to be renewed annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The superior service of Freesat is killing them off. I doubt there are more than a handful of Donegal people that can't get Freeview or Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

Their future may depend on whether the future owners of the spectrum in question want vacant possession before they bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Thought they had to be gone by end of year?

• Advertisement

eirman wrote: »
    Their future may depend on whether the future owners of the spectrum in question want vacant possession before they bid.

Firstly this is only an issue at all in a few small areas of the country.

Deflectors have already had to vacate spectrum used for Saorview, analogue TV3 etc etc in their areas.

The 'dividend' spectrum concerned is Chs 60-69.
    Any deflectors in the 800MHz dividend area could easily move to channels below 60 vacated by the ASO of the national analogue network.
    With no commercial DTT MUXs, the reality is there is a lot of spectrum which remains allocated to TV broadcasting now sitting disused since 24th October - and that is excluding the so-called dividend spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭eirman

The 'dividend' spectrum concerned is Chs 60-69.
    With no commercial DTT MUXs, the reality is there is a lot of spectrum which remains allocated to TV broadcasting now sitting disused since 24th October - and that is excluding the so-called dividend spectrum.

I didn't know that the 'dividend' spectrum was only 60-69

What will happen to ... 30 >>> 50?

There was little justification for Deflectors. The MMDS licences should have mandated universal coverage outside cable areas, a road map for Digital and also real Broadband (Exists elsewhere, Digiweb Metro is similar and has been demoed here near MMDS band. Two way MMDS with TV and Broadband is available off the shelf. But Comreg forbid it as they want to sell the MMDS band to inferior LTE).

Instead politicians, civil service and Regulators crippled infrastructure development.

Deflector licences should not have been renewed even two years ago. The original reason for them is long gone.

It would be the thin end of a really stupid wedge to extend the life of them now.

What will happen to ... 30 >>> 50?

Ch 21 to Ch 60 is DTT. There is not even enough space for future expansion of all channels HD, 3D, Ultra HD or pay TV. The "Digital Dividend" is simply a once of revenue raising exercise and a new cheaper to run (but not ever broadband) Mobile Band.

The Consumer won't benefit at all.
    Also the LTE handsets and Modems will interfere with Cable TV and Cable broadband and the LTE base stations will overload mast head amps and block DTT for 1000s of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Can anyone explain to me what a deflector is?

It's an Irish euphemism for originally an illegal transmitter fed by a receiver, an illegal repeater or transposer*. They called them Deflectors to suggest it was passive (passive Deflectors or "Beam benders" are possible).

Due to the use political nonsense in this country they got legalised to when it was thought DTT would start and then extended a year at a time.

Many switched to Sky Digital feeds instead of off air and then Freesat feeds.

The BBC, then ITV, then C4 and finally 5 going FTA on Freesat and the 85% take up of Sky/UPC made them pointless and most have closed.

I think 6 still licensed (till December 2012) and only 5 are left on air.

Many were very poor quality.

It indeed was an Irish solution to an Irish Desire, rather than the "proper" solution.

I can't see any continuing even if they could as it's hard to see how they can cover running costs. By law as part of getting a licence they have to pay fees to UK broadcaster.

No-where in the world is it legal to rebroadcast even Free to air without permission of the broadcaster. Some channels are "free to carry". None of the main UK channels are. UPC, Dutch cable, Sky in Ireland, Casey etc have to pay BBC, ITV, C4, 5 etc.

DWTV and BBC World TV are Free To Carry, but you need permission in Writing.

[* Technically a Transposer has filters and maybe an IF and changes the frequency, a repeater has an entire receiver and then a modulator feeding a Transmitter. A Deflector (beam bender is two aerials at opposite polarity. An active one can have maybe 12dB gain amplifier between the aerials. True deflectors are very rare as the performance and range is terrible]

BX 19 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what a deflector is?

This from wikipedia
    Deflectors (UHF Television Programme Retransmission)

In rural areas where neither cable or MMDS are available, UHF Television Programme Retransmission systems or deflectors pick up the UK terrestrial channels (either from Northern Ireland or Wales), and retransmit them on local UHF signals along with other channels. These operators faced legal action in the late 1990s from MMDS operators, as they did not pay royalties to the relevant broadcasters, and were not licensed. When the deflectors were shut down, there was such an outcry in those areas that an independent election candidate in County Donegal, Tom Gildea, was elected as a TD on a platform of supporting legalisation, which occurred in 1999.

Deflectors were first licensed in 1999 by the then spectrum regulator, the ODTR. The current regulations, Wireless Telegraphy (UHF Television Programme Retransmission) Regulations, 2009 will be the last for deflectors, all deflector licences expire in Dec 2012 and will not be renewed due to the roll-out of DTT in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Ireland#Deflectors_.28UHF_Television_Programme_Retransmission.29

Tom Gildea was elected as TD for Donegal SE back in 1997 as a single issue candidate on the issue of deflector licensing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Gildea

Comreg 1999 consultation and decision on deflector licensing
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/odtr9932.pdf
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/odtr9955.pdf

Is it really the case they don't think any of the extra satellite channels (beyond BBC/UTV/C4) are worthwhile?
    Is this with older people? - amongst all what they would regard as rubbish there are of course worthwhile channels - BBC 4, + 1 channels of ITV, C4, etc news channels etc etc
    Are they interested in country music - the Irish stuff broadcast on Showcase Channel?
    Did you highlight what channels they would likely be interested in?
    Wonder how long they will get away with this?
    There are other broadcasts in north donegal which remained on-air in a frequency band completely abandoned by RTE in 2008, and its still there to this day. No-one seems to be too bothered about that.

Is it really the case they don't think any of the extra satellite channels (beyond BBC/UTV/C4) are worthwhile?
    Is this with older people? - amongst all what they would regard as rubbish there are of course worthwhile channels - BBC 4, + 1 channels of ITV, C4, etc news channels etc etc
    Are they interested in country music - the Irish stuff broadcast on Showcase Channel?
    Did you highlight what channels they would likely be interested in?

Always go through all the channels available with customers before and after installation, a lot of older people don't care bout any channels other that the main Irish and UK channels, have had people say to me many times "I won't be using any of them" while showing them the extra channels they have gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

All the UK terrestrial channels are digital. So how is it technologically possible for deflectors, which are analogue and have to shut down at the end of this year, to carry UK terrestrial channels?

• Advertisement

Always go through all the channels available with customers before and after installation, a lot of older people don't care bout any channels other that the main Irish and UK channels, have had people say to me many times "I won't be using any of them" while showing them the extra channels they have gained.
    They'll probably stop thinking that when, while watching BBC1 or BBC2, they see trailers for programmes that are broadcast on BBC3 and BBC4. The same goes for More4 and E4 programme trailers on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

endakenny wrote: »
    All the UK terrestrial channels are digital. So how is it technologically possible for deflectors, which are analogue and have to shut down at the end of this year, to carry UK terrestrial channels?

They're just transmitters. They have another source (presumably a satellite box) for each channel that they rebroadcast.

Thanks, Richard.

Can confirm the deflector serving Tramore and other parts of east Co. Waterford is still on air.

UHF 48, 51, 61, 69 Vertical.

I could pickup very weak (not useable) signals from it on a mobile setup whilst parked at Knockadoon Head Co. Cork (mostly across a sea path to where it is) a couple of days ago with the ch69 (channel 4) - being most noticeable (69 a very clear channel) . The Ch 69 probably borderline watchable level there with a better setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Can confirm the deflector serving Tramore and other parts of east Co. Waterford is still on air.

UHF 48, 51, 61, 69 Vertical.

I could pickup very weak (not useable) signals from it on a mobile setup whilst parked at Knockadoon Head Co. Cork (mostly across a sea path to where it is) a couple of days ago with the ch69 (channel 4) - being most noticeable (69 a very clear channel) . The Ch 69 probably borderline watchable level there with a better setup.

Out of interest, what region are the other 3 channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If deflector systems still exist why arent they carrying the Irish stations ???

In these days of Freesat there can be no justification for such a system unless it is a self help system for Irish channels. Not just used for rebroadcasting UK channels.

There is another thread about some guy who can pick up the deflector system in Donegal but not Saorview! What channels are these guys broadcasting on ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd imagine South Coast would still be on the air if they weren't bankrupt (pity they never started a DVB-T deflector)

Many of South Coast's transmitters transmitted into areas of poor RTE reception, and even carried RTE On some masts. Fountainstown, Belgooly and I think Minane Bridge carried RTE. Inishannon transmitted BBC channels into an area of poor RTE reception. Fennell's Bay (Myrtleville) transmitted into another area of poor reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Richard wrote: »
    Out of interest, what region are the other 3 channels?

All from a satellite feed bbc itv ch4 granada region :)

I'd imagine South Coast would still be on the air if they weren't bankrupt (pity they never started a DVB-T deflector)

Ironically after opposing MMDS as "dangerous" they did run a 12GHz DVB-s based MMDS, with a licence, that would have still been legal today.

They were offered ability to to have real Broadband on the same system and turned it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ive heard reports that the deflector near Castlebar, Co.Mayo has returned to the air. (It was supposed to have ceased permanently on 1st May 2012) :confused:

Ch 39 (H) TV3
    Ch 42 (H) ITV
    Ch 47 (H) BBC1
    Ch 53 (H) BBC2
    Ch 56 (H) Channel 4

It also ocasionally transmits local programming !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement