Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    What's your point?

I think he means we've heard phrases like that before used by politicians to appease the gob****es before their hospital/school/bus route/post office/garda station is whipped out from under them, knowing full well what was going in the report in the first place before it ever arrived on their desk.

Lets remember theres a chap from Cork writing the report about whether Cork should be in charge.

C'mon like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

People have a high unfair expectation on all our TDs - FG, Lab, and Ind.

No - people have a justifiable expectation that someone who they have handed a salary of €200k to will actually be able to perform their duty.
    But I do feel that Paudie is doing his best and what he was elected to do. You and others disagree. Welcome to the world where peoples views may not be the same. I believe John Deasy is hopeless, the worst out all our TDs. I have absolutely no idea what he does, because I never hear about him doing anything bar complaining about the government.

Deasy is bad, but Coffey is an unmitigated disaster. No two ways about it.
    As for Ciara Conway - relatively new to politics and is sticking by her party. I'm disappointed she isn't going to walk from the party if they downgrade the hospital.

The Labour Party as a whole is a laughing stock Ruari Quinn going on the other day about how harsh we were being on some bankers.
    Well the people did vote for them and knew what they were getting.

I would probably vote for the Shinners ahead of them - and that's saying a lot. The LP has jumped into bed every chance they got with right-wing conservative parties.
    1) Agreed.

2) Don't fully agree. I don't think this or any other government take much notice of Waterford and have no particular agenda against it.

3) Seem to be doing more than other parties. You can't say it wont happen, and I can't say it will with absolutely certainty. All I can comment on is the progress made so far by the government and correct people who blame the government for the proposals when it was WIT that made them.

4) Three new TDs, remember. Two FG, 1 Labour, 1 Ind. Fianna Fail only had one seat in Waterford.

5) How does the party come first if he resigns if WRH is downgraded? He already stated on WLR he would. Senator Cummins said the same. How is it party first if he has publicly stated he is against the downgrading of WRH and has attended the protests whereas he is in favour of the City & County Councils being merged? Two FG policies affecting Waterford. Two different approaches taken.

1. I am glad you are starting to realise this.

2. The agenda against Waterford has been running for a long time. Hogan hates the place and has made no secret of it.

3. Rubbish. FG guaranteed the upgrading when in opposition. Where is it?

4. Not counting Halligan. I don't hold him in any form of esteem.

5. I wait with baited breath..............................

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trotter wrote: »
    I think he means we've heard phrases like that before used by politicians to appease the gob****es before their hospital/school/bus route/post office/garda station is whipped out from under them, knowing full well what was going in the report in the first place before it ever arrived on their desk.

Lets remember theres a chap from Cork writing the report about whether Cork should be in charge.

C'mon like..

But its true. We don't know 100%. Neither Kenny or Reilly or our local reps have seen the completed report. I'm not dodging anything. Aside from this, the local reps are fighting on the possibility and not waiting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    No - people have a justifiable expectation that someone who they have handed a salary of €200k to will actually be able to perform their duty.

What do you want them to do?
    Deasy is bad, but Coffey is an unmitigated disaster. No two ways about it.

In your opinion, which I respect. So ill agree to disagree with you on this.
    2. The agenda against Waterford has been running for a long time. Hogan hates the place and has made no secret of it.

Link to Hogan saying he hates the place?
    3. Rubbish. FG guaranteed the upgrading when in opposition. Where is it?

FG are still in government. Come back to me when they have left.
    4. Not counting Halligan. I don't hold him in any form of esteem.

A lot of people do.
    5. I wait with baited breath..............................

I am delighted you are seeing my point and will wait with baited breath to come to me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

But its true. We don't know 100%. Neither Kenny or Reilly or our local reps have seen the completed report. I'm not dodging anything. Aside from this, the local reps are fighting on the possibility and not waiting.

There wouldnt be this uproar if we didnt know what was going to be in it.
    If theres one thing I never heard of, its a Corkman who missed an opportunity to score a point for Cork. I'd like to know who appointed a person from Cork to this position.

We don't know 100% absolutely. I'd call it 85% which is enough to wake everyone up to the threat. Anyway, I reckon they've woken the beast now. If the protest in Waterford gains momentum, we could very soon become a tricky place to feck with.

I'd imagine the local government TDs lost a bit of sleep over this because we showed in the last election we were capable of dumping out government TDs..
    Ideally we'll hold our hospital services, and the campaign will continue with a general 'Get your hands off Waterford' theme.

Anyway, I can see clearly that the WRH situation is chapter 203 of the lets screw Waterford to the floor manual thats floating around Leinster House. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that this abandonment of Waterford in general by government, and these decisions that keep chipping away at us are part of some sort of unofficial plan/policy to strengthen some areas and weaken others. And FG/Lab's plan sure isnt to strengthen Waterford!

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    There wouldnt be this uproar if we didnt know what was going to be in it.
    If theres one thing I never heard of, its a Corkman who missed an opportunity to score a point for Cork. I'd like to know who appointed a person from Cork to this position.

We don't know 100% absolutely. I'd call it 85% which is enough to wake everyone up to the threat. Anyway, I reckon they've woken the beast now. If the protest in Waterford gains momentum, we could very soon become a tricky place to feck with.

I'd imagine the local government TDs lost a bit of sleep over this because we showed in the last election we were capable of dumping out government TDs..
    Ideally we'll hold our hospital services, and the campaign will continue with a general 'Get your hands off Waterford' theme.

Anyway, I can see clearly that the WRH situation is chapter 203 of the lets screw Waterford to the floor manual thats floating around Leinster House. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that this abandonment of Waterford in general by government, and these decisions that keep chipping away at us are part of some sort of unofficial plan/policy to strengthen some areas and weaken others. And FG/Lab's plan sure isnt to strengthen Waterford!

Some of our Local TDs spoke on this in the Dail before it became a major issue and resulted in call for a protest in Waterford. I'd hope the protest will go as far as the Dail and we keep kicking up blue murder tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Is it just me, or did TV3 not cover this story at all ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Swissarmyknife

Iv'e seen Fine Gael TD'S row back on their promises when it comes to the Health Service.
    Wont be one bit surprised if Paudie Coffey does a Frank Feighan,who voted with the government to cut A+E Services at Roscommon Hospital.As the people up there have found out to their cost.

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?itemID=18494&menu=d18494

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭looksee

J0hnick wrote: »
    Is it just me, or did TV3 not cover this story at all ?.

I didn't see anything on TV3 either.

The business of Waterford losing its city status seemed to disappear into the ether as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Having read the Sunday papers, the protest got very little attention there, only a small paragraph is The Sun and Ireland on Sunday, however the far more pressing issue of bankers pay took priority on most newspapers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

That's not how life works. If you were told that your employer was going to cut your wages in half, would you resign immediately and throw a tantrum? Or would you fight it, let them know that if they go ahead with it, you will be gone.

We elected the TDs to represent us, to fight for us. That is what they are doing. They are working hard to ensure that any such decision is not made. They wont resign now - why would they? They don't even know 100% if the report is going to suggest this and they don't know 100% what the government is going to do with the report. So they will fight, represent and make demands. If that fails, they walk.

That's how the real world works in many examples. Work, Committees, and so on. We don't walk before something happens. We fight first and if no use, we walk.

If after yesterday's march, Enda Kenny & co wake up and take notice that the people of the South East have had more than enough of the bull since they were elected and their lack of action towards the SOuth East, and they decide that there will NOT be any changes at the hospital, who is it that will have got this to happen. Is it the 12 to 15 thousand people that went onto the streets, or will it be Coffey, Phelan, Deasy and Conway etc and their non representation of the people of the South East. Yesterday's march was for the people of the South East, not just Waterford city. Were Hogan and Howlin in the march, if not, why not. I bet they have a good cock and bull story to explain their not going to Waterford. Were Conway and Deasy there as either. I am 100% sure that Conway wasnt. If she was she would have found someone with a camera so that her mugshot could be splashed all over the place. But I guess its ok that she was not there. I suppose she had a meeting with someone or some group on Friday or will have one tomorrow.

Benimar wrote: »
    But they haven't done this. They will 'consider their position' is a long way from 'if you b*stards go through with this I'm out of here'

'Consider my position' is an idle threat, it means absolutely nothing and many, many politicians have been know to 'consider their position' best served by putting Party first.

Politions using such words is a loade of horse Sh1te. They used plenty of empty words. If they were men or women of any substance, and really wanted to stand up for the people that elected them, they would stick one or two fingers up at their leaders and tell them where to go.

Sully, again - seriously? This Government is a disaster. Coffey - for all his posturing - is the worst, quickly followed by Deasy. And as for Ciara Conway -
    she is the epitome of the running joke that is the Labour Party.

A party aligned with the Unions - which is imposing these austerity measures.....while the unions organise "protest marches" against them. FFS you wouldn't see this in Father Ted.

Here's the real world Sully:

* Our City is under attack from all sides.

* The FG party and it's henchman Hogan are the prime drivers in this.

* That same FG party blew off a load of hot air about guaranteeing to upgrade WIT to a Uni. Hasn't happened.

* Two new TDs were elected courtesy of an anti-FF backlash - not because they might perform. They have clearly shown they cannot.

* Coffey has made it clear that FG comes first - Waterford City second. A recipe for disaster.

Reality.

I agree with most of what you say, but in my view, Coffey comes first, Fine Gael comes second and Waterford might come in in third place.

5) How does the party come first if he resigns if WRH is downgraded? He already stated on WLR he would. Senator Cummins said the same. How is it party first if he has publicly stated he is against the downgrading of WRH and has attended the protests whereas he is in favour of the City & County Councils being merged? Two FG policies affecting Waterford. Two different approaches taken.

No he did not say that. What he said was that he would consider is position. What he should have said if he was any good, was that he WOULD resign. It makes no difference to him anyway, because after the next election he and Conway will be confined to the pages of history. I know you dont agree and appear to be blinded by his worth to Waterford, but talking to the most staunch of Fine Gael Supporters each and every one of them regret the day they ever voted him in.

Cummins also stated that he would consider his position. He did not say he would resign the Party whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I have to say I find it interesting that the last time there were massive crowds from all walks of life protesting in Waterford, it was to get a cancer care facility which was long overdue. And now we might lose it again with this most recent attack.

I've written an email to that idiotic senator from Wexford asking him how he thought it wise to make the unfounded comments he did about the hospital.

I've also emailed Conway and Deasy asking whether or not they attended the march and seeking clarification on their positions on this matter. I wonder if I'll even get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I've also emailed Conway and Deasy asking whether or not they attended the march and seeking clarification on their positions on this matter. I wonder if I'll even get a response.

Please let us know what they say if they get back to you. Thanks.

Lots of media attention this morning.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/protesters-march-over-hospital-downgrade-213680.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1112/1224326473302.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-pair-threaten-to-vote-against-hospital-cuts-3291004.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1110/waterford-protest.html?view=print
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/166847.html

TV3 are covering it this morning on Ireland AM and they did likewise last week. No idea if it was in their news slot or not.

Also;

TG4 - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html?id=1960949325001&title=Nuacht+TG4
    http://thedailyshift.com/2012/11/11/waterford-downgrades-inspire-protest-public-turn-out-in-force/
    http://youtu.be/Pp1FeVYCvGc

Also, a number of people confirmed to me that Ciara Conway was there. Paudie Coffey, Maurice Cummins and David Cullinane were all present. John Paul Phelan of Kilkenny was also there. Didn't see John Deasy and heard nawt about him being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I thought RTE's coverage of the protest was painfully limited; I was really disappointed at the amount of time allowed for it on the news. If you thought is got proper coverage thats fine but if you didn't and you want to give let them know without actually putting in an offical complaint, the email address is
    feedback@rte.ie <feedback@rte.ie>

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

John Halligan was also there. That means that John Deasy was the only Waterford TD not present - does he really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Silverado wrote: »
    John Halligan was also there. That means that John Deasy was the only Waterford TD not present - does he really care?

Nah, he doesn't seem to give a toss. I hope we turf him out at the next election. Whether you consider Paudie's "consideration" of the matter to be a serious threat or not, at least he was there and showed some bloody solidarity. Likewise fair play to John-Paul Phelan! Especially seeing as how we give out all the time about Kilkenny on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

If indeed Deasy was not at the march then he is an absolute disgrace!
    The most important march in decades in Waterford and a supposed representative of Waterford did not attend!
    He and his family must all attend the Black rock clinic for all their medical needs...

He needs to be shunned big time for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

reni10 wrote: »
    If indeed Deasy was not at the march then he is an absolute disgrace!
    The most important march in decades in Waterford and a supposed representative of Waterford did not attend!
    He and his family must all attend the Black rock clinic for all their medical needs...

He needs to be shunned big time for this...

I would agree but the sad fact is he takes the core died in the wool FG vote particularly in the county. Which means the only way to hurt FG politically is by voting out Coffey.

I thought RTE's coverage of the protest was painfully limited; I was really disappointed at the amount of time allowed for it on the news. If you thought is got proper coverage thats fine but if you didn't and you want to give let them know without actually putting in an offical complaint, the email address is
    feedback@rte.ie <feedback@rte.ie>

I thought it was excellent. We were up on the site straight away, with a limited article that was later expanded. We were the second headline in the news, just behind the referendum. We got the second news piece then where they covered the protest, did an interview with their regional corespondent and then interviewed two TDs walking in the march.

What else could they have done?
    I would agree but the sad fact is he takes the core died in the wool FG vote particularly in the county. Which means the only way to hurt FG politically is by voting out Coffey.

I wouldn't have said so. Deasy is considered the safest seat in Waterford. I suspect for example in Roscommon the FG TD that supported the closure of the hospital will struggle to get elected (I think they also hit the government during referendums) and the one who resigned will be re-elected with ease. So voters should be doing likewise here and taking the approach to keep TDs that actually fought for Waterford.

Does anybody have any high resolution pictures of the protest that they might like to provide me for the Save Waterford Campaign? Its for a poster my business is doing for them! Just one of the crowds is whats needed. PM if you can help!

Black Suir wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say, but in my view, Coffey comes first, Fine Gael comes second and Waterford might come in in third place.

That appears to be the correct order alright.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

That appears to be the correct order alright.:mad:
    Would you give it a rest, please?

We get it - you hate Paudie Coffee and our elected reps and the Goverrnment in general.

We get that you don't like Sully or anyone else sticking up for Paudie and Fine Gael.

You don't need to keep ranting the same things in all these threads.

We get it - you hate Paudie Coffee and our elected reps and the Goverrnment in general.

We get that you don't like Sully or anyone else sticking up for Paudie and Fine Gael.

A bit rich really. I was RESPONDING to a post by someone else. Is it coming to the stage now where we are not allowed agree with another post?

FWIW regarding your comment:

I despise ANYONE who puts this city at risk, whether they are FG/FF/'Labour'/Coffey/Deasy or anyone else for that matter.

If that upsets people, well, fcuk them really. I couldn't give a toss - like many other Waterford people.

You would do well to direct your displeasure at those responsible - that would be a more appropriate way to channel your anger.

As I aid already this is the wonderful thing about the Internet. There is nowhere for these politicians who are truly attempting the biggest smash and grab in the history of Waterford to hide - or the brainwashed drones who support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

Eh where did anybody say they HATE Paudie Coffey ? Where did anybody say they "don't like Sully" ?? This is not a personality issue . Yes we have a problem with our elected representatives and their lack of action up to now . But as stated before they've now got the message from 15000 of their constituents to get the finger out and fight for us . And If Coffey stands up in the Dail on Wednesday , when we will hopefully know the contents of this report, ( and our worst fears are realised ), and says he will vote against the Government if this is proposed , I for one will come on here and applaud him . So get real and stop trying to make it a personality issue .....it's bigger than that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

fricatus wrote: »
    Nah, he doesn't seem to give a toss. I hope we turf him out at the next election. Whether you consider Paudie's "consideration" of the matter to be a serious threat or not, at least he was there and showed some bloody solidarity. Likewise fair play to John-Paul Phelan! Especially seeing as how we give out all the time about Kilkenny on this forum.

Its no good for Coffey, Phelan, Conway (if she was there) etc to turn up to arse lick the electorate if they head to Dublin shortly and vote to have services moved elsewhere. I would Deasy more credit for not showing up and voting to have services removed than I would give to the others for showing up for the cameras and to Arse lick people and then vote to have services removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Stop with all the infighting boys and stay on message... like this lady:)
    23883_4892231393316_470951588_n.jpg
    Print this Sully!

Advertisement