Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny - "European of the Year"

Options
  • 24-10-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

The praise for Taoiseach Enda Kenny abroad continues with the announcement that he will be getting an award in Berlin next month.

Kenny is being named the "Golden Victoria European of the Year 2012" on November 8.

It recognises Mr Kenny’s strong contribution to Europe and commitment to European ideals.

Previous recipients of the "European of the Year" award are Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-to-receive-european-of-the-year-award-in-berlin-571693.html

This, combined with the recent "Celtic Comeback" feature in TIME's European edition, sems to indicate that he is viewed as quite the ideal leader abroad.

Why is he rated so highly overseas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oscorp wrote: »
    Probably because he does what he's told every time!

The constant infighting within his coalition in the media shows that he can't even control his own cabinet, so it certainly can't be because of his leadership skills.

This is beyond farcical. While the general population struggle to pay bills and are facing into another harsh budget to keep the EU/IMF happy, and we send another generation of young Irish abroad, Kenny gets another attaboy??

Out of touch with reality doesn't even begin to describe this.
    It recognises Mr Kenny’s strong contribution to Europe and commitment to European ideals.
    Indeed... even at the expense of his country it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

another gold star for the teachers pet.

Boy+with+a+gold+star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-to-receive-european-of-the-year-award-in-berlin-571693.html

This, combined with the recent "Celtic Comeback" feature in TIME's European edition, sems to indicate that he is viewed as quite the ideal leader abroad.

Europe still can't believe we are ddumb enough to pay the bank's debts.
    I would thank Edna if I where them.

However from an Irish perspective this shows us that he is Europe s boy. Not our man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Dob74 wrote: »
    Europe still can't believe we are ddumb enough to pay the bank's debts.
    I would thank Edna if I where them.

However from an Irish perspective this shows us that he is Europe s boy. Not our man.

Sorry, but he is our man. That's how democracy works. He's not perfect, but give me one Enda Kenny for the previous pack of weasels anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Plonker of the year would be more like it.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It amazes me how enough of the Irish population voted for FG to allow them be the majority party and giving Kenny Taoiseach, yet they piss and moan once he gets there. I'm not a FG supporter, but show me a party leader who would have done any better. A laughable bunch leading Irish politics is the only way to describe the current situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think Kenny will actually have the last laugh, even if the current negotiations about the bank deal are like pulling teeth. Europe likes him, maybe in a slightly condescending fashion but it might just be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

RMD wrote: »
    It amazes me how enough of the Irish population voted for FG to allow them be the majority party and giving Kenny Taoiseach, yet they piss and moan once he gets there.

The Irish population didn't vote for FG to allow them to be the majority party, or to give Kenny the position of Taoiseach. The Irish population were disgusted by the corruption, greed and incompetence of Greena Fail, and voted for an agenda of reform of how the state is run to ensure that this debacle could never reoccur whilst also representing Ireland's interests in reversing the disastrous policies of the Greens and Fianna Fail.

Of course, Fine Gael do seem to believe the Irish population *did* vote to allow them their turn as majority party, and to give Kenny his turn as Taoiseach. People are "pissing and moaning" as you put it due to the current regime simply repeating the same old playbook at the old regime - to the point where the current government is hilariously forced to defend Greena Fails decisions back in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

From this
    The German Magazine Publishers Association (VDZ) is giving its “Golden Victoria European of the Year 2012” award to Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

So it's one of those prizes that any organisation can give to anyone else, no great merit to it. I've no idea why he got it, plenty of other Europeans (not just politicians) who deserve it as well. He insists on dragging ireland along a road to austerity that can't work and is causing huge damage long term. It's all a bit baffling though I suspect there is a political reason for it that will become clearer in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

It is a German Magazine publisher's association prize apparantly........WE WANT THE GERMANS TO LIKE US LADS..

He is getting the prize in Berlin next month.....I want the Germans to like us lads....

The German Officials added
    'This award acknowledges the achievements not only of Enda Kenny but Ireland & the Irish people.'

'Ireland’s determined response to the current economic and financial crisis has been widely respected, particularly in view of the genuine hardship being experienced by many Irish people.

This award, however, also acknowledges the unique contribution which Ireland has made to the European project since its accession in 1973.

Despite being located at the Western edge of continent, the green island has always been at the heart of Europe.'

VDZ said Ireland’s economic advances in the last four decades were a sign of the potential that the European Union had to improve the status of its member states.

“In these difficult times, Europe benefits from the open, outward looking character of the Irish State and people and from the calibre of its Prime Minister, Enda Kenny.”

Last year the prize went to Kenny’s Polish counterpart, Donald Tusk. The previous year it was awarded to European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso.

So erm....there you go......????

So this is the German media talking about Ireland?????

• Advertisement

bijapos wrote: »
    So it's one of those prizes that any organisation can give to anyone else, no great merit to it. I've no idea why he got it, plenty of other Europeans (not just politicians) who deserve it as well. He insists on dragging ireland along a road to austerity that can't work and is causing huge damage long term. It's all a bit baffling though I suspect there is a political reason for it that will become clearer in the future.

I agree with the political reason.:confused: Puzzled. Intrigued.....Where is Scofflaw to analyse stuff when you need him???:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its probably Merkel pulling a few strings to placate Kenny - she's figured out Kenny and Ireland will be satisfied with baubles and a sentence or two mentioning them in a press release. Keeps them quiet for a few months thinking that a big deal for Ireland is just around the corner.

Think of it from Kenny's perspective:

1 - There's a press release that says Ireland's a special case. Apparently.
    2 - He's got clear-cut evidence that some Germans like him.

What a great diplomatic triumph.

Think of it from Merkel's perspective:

1 - Shes not surrendered a single inch.
    2 - She finally managed to end what must have been a painfully awkward call with a grown man crying and sobbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Surely this is nothing but a good thing though, right?

Maybe he will be competent enough to use this goodwill and the respect continental Europe seems to have for him to strike a better deal for the country.

European leaders and their advisors would likely have more respect for him than say Cowen, who made headlines worldwide for all the wrong reasons with his hungover radio interview and subsequent denial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes, the Germans adore Enda - he has been a well behaved and good boy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

"European of the Year" ... must be an in-joke around there, like a "Kick-Me" sticker on your back in work.

Surely this is nothing but a good thing though, right?

Maybe he will be competent enough to use this goodwill and the respect continental Europe seems to have for him to strike a better deal for the country.
    You don't really believe that do you?

Kenny's "strategy" so far seems to be re-enacting Oliver going up to the table and asking "Please Sir Ma'am, can I have some more?", then grandstanding in the media over whatever scraps are thrown his way (generally only as fallout of a deal made for others like Spain) as if he just ended WWII or something. :rolleyes:
    European leaders and their advisors would likely have more respect for him than say Cowen, who made headlines worldwide for all the wrong reasons with his hungover radio interview and subsequent denial.

I think you're confusing "respect" for condescension - European leaders know he's so weak that he will do what he's told, when he's told - no matter the impact on his country.

Cowen was no prize either, but saying that at least Kenny isn't THAT bad isn't much of an achievement, nor something to be used as a measure of his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I agree with the political reason.:confused: Puzzled. Intrigued.....Where is Scofflaw to analyse stuff when you need him???:P

Ah, well, if you want to be cynical, you'd take the fact that the Germans favour austerity and fiscal discipline as the route out of the crisis, and Ireland is the poster boy for that approach. The sad cynicism of "it's a pat on the head from Merkel for being a good boy" and "throw the Irish a medal for their leader ho ho ho, that'll keep them quiet" is one way of reading that, and bound to be popular in those quarters that substitute reflex cynical sneering for analytical thought.

The thing is, though, that the Germans do honestly favour such an approach, as they also favour a consultative approach, and probably are honestly impressed by Ireland's commitment to getting out of the crisis without shortcuts and in consultation with the rest of Europe, perhaps particularly in contrast to the previous government's love of solo runs and clever strokes.

In that sense, the award, whatever it's worth in any other terms, sends a series of messages - to the rest of the indebted nations, that fiscal discipline can work (and hey! it even makes you popular!); to the German public and the other northern nations, that Ireland is a responsible country and that those on the receiving end of their money are not all pocket-lining irresponsible third-worlders; and generally, that acting in concert, acting with Europe rather than alone, is a good thing.

In terms of what it's worth to us - it probably makes selling Ireland as a special case to the German public a bit easier. How much easier depends on how much value is ascribed to the award within Germany, which I won't guess at. As a vote by a German press association, though, it does suggest we're likely to get an easier ride in the German press, which is good in itself.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    In terms of what it's worth to us - it probably makes selling Ireland as a special case to the German public a good bit easier.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Let's hope.....:) I was thinking this....

Ah, well, if you want to be cynical, you'd take the fact that the Germans favour austerity and fiscal discipline as the route out of the crisis, and Ireland is the poster boy for that approach. The sad cynicism of "it's a pat on the head from Merkel for being a good boy" and "throw the Irish a medal for their leader ho ho ho, that'll keep them quiet" is one way of reading that, and bound to be popular in those quarters that substitute reflex cynical sneering for analytical thought.
    Speaking of sneering..

I know you're ardently pro-Europe Scofflaw to a point where sometimes it seems that you would stick your fingers in your ears shouting "la la la la" rather than acknowledge that just maybe they got something wrong, but just because some of the posters here don't have your unwavering faith in our "friends" doesn't make us incapable of analytical thought.
    The thing is, though, that the Germans do honestly favour such an approach, as they also favour a consultative approach, and probably are honestly impressed by Ireland's commitment to getting out of the crisis without shortcuts and in consultation with the rest of Europe, perhaps particularly in contrast to the previous government's love of solo runs and clever strokes.
    That's nice, but you seem to be forgetting that it takes two to tango. Where did a lot of this "free" money come from after all?
    In that sense, the award, whatever it's worth in any other terms, sends a series of messages - to the rest of the indebted nations, that fiscal discipline can work (and hey! it even makes you popular!); to the German public and the other northern nations, that Ireland is a responsible country and that those on the receiving end of their money are not all pocket-lining irresponsible third-worlders; and generally, that acting in concert, acting with Europe rather than alone, is a good thing.
    From all I've seen so far, any concessions we've gotten so far are purely by accident. While we were/are?/were in a position to force a better deal, Enda's approach seems to be to simply nod like a good boy to anything asked of him - which I might add is not the mandate he or his coalition colleagues were elected on.
    In terms of what it's worth to us - it probably makes selling Ireland as a special case to the German public a bit easier. How much easier depends on how much value is ascribed to the award within Germany, which I won't guess at. As a vote by a German press association, though, it does suggest we're likely to get an easier ride in the German press, which is good in itself
    Like you I've no idea how much value the ordinary German public would put on this, but I dare say it won't be very much come decision time.

This, like the Time article before it, seems more like a sop thrown to Kenny in lieu of anything of real value.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    From all I've seen so far, any concessions we've gotten so far are purely by accident. While we were/are?/were in a position to force a better deal, Enda's approach seems to be to simply nod like a good boy to anything asked of him - which I might add is not the mandate he or his coalition colleagues were elected on.

Yes, that's exactly what Enda does. 'Sits at all the meetings, nodding and grinning. That's how international political negotiations go, right?

:rolleyes:

He's accidentally winning concessions in Europe? Give me a break.

Ireland is not, and will never be (unless we invent some sort of death ray) a major player in international affairs. People who act like we can walk into a meeting and make demands as though we were the United States really need their head checked. We're an insignificant island with the population of Manchester, who also acts as a tax-haven in Europe for major corporations.

So, fair play to Enda. He's swimming around in **** all day, and still smells of roses to our international counter-parts. A job well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Ireland is not, and will never be (unless we invent some sort of death ray) a major player in international affairs. People who act like we can walk into a meeting and make demands as though we were the United States really need their head checked. We're an insignificant island with the population of Manchester, who also acts as a tax-haven in Europe for major corporations.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

I think you're confusing "respect" for condescension - European leaders know he's so weak that he will do what he's told, when he's told - no matter the impact on his country.

He didn't bow to pressure from Europe to lower the corporate tax rate.

I've not heard or read any condescending comments from European leaders on Kenny.

He didn't bow to pressure from Europe to lower the corporate tax rate.

I've not heard or read any condescending comments from European leaders on Kenny.

They also kept welfare largely ringfenced in the face of the Troika. And the corporate tax rate is huge.
    I don't think it is about Enda it is simply the EU has larger problems. It was not just the EU who wanted the Bank debt tied to sovereign det the US fed insisted the IMF work to protect any exposure smaller US bondholders had to US banks at the time.

4 Million people stand up to 500 million?? What do you think this is ..an Irish referendum???:p
    We have punched above our weight on this one. We are tiny.

Speaking of sneering..

I know you're ardently pro-Europe Scofflaw to a point where sometimes it seems that you would stick your fingers in your ears shouting "la la la la" rather than acknowledge that just maybe they got something wrong, but just because some of the posters here don't have your unwavering faith in our "friends" doesn't make us incapable of analytical thought.

I haven't claimed anyone is incapable of it, and in this case it's hard to see what it as to do with being pro or anti Europe. It's a German magazine award, and even being pro-EU doesn't necessarily make one pro-German-magazine-groups. If anything, I would have thought what mattered was whether one was pro or anti Kenny.

The kneejerk cynicism I refer to seems to me an appropriate way to describe the sort of comments being made, though. They're hardly serious suggestions, after all. Merkel gave it to Kenny as a reward for being a good boy? Seriously? It's just drivel.
    That's nice, but you seem to be forgetting that it takes two to tango. Where did a lot of this "free" money come from after all?

What "free money"? If you mean the money that went into the Irish banks, the answer seems to be the US and the UK.

Like you I've no idea how much value the ordinary German public would put on this, but I dare say it won't be very much come decision time.

This, like the Time article before it, seems more like a sop thrown to Kenny in lieu of anything of real value.

Oh suuuure, because they just know it's going to go down well in Ireland, and totally won't cause people to slag Kenny off. Oh, yeah.

That's exactly the kind of reflex cynicism I mean. It comes, I suppose, of the belief that we are actually (a) owed; and (b) in a position to force a better deal, neither of which are the case, but which are your belief. Being seen to be implementing fiscal discipline and have it work isn't your preferred strategy, so you can't believe anything might have come of it, but what concessions we have got have been the result of it, so constantly sneering at it as a strategy while offering little more than fantasies as an alternative does get a bit grating after a while.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

In that sense, the award, whatever it's worth in any other terms, sends a series of messages - to the rest of the indebted nations, that fiscal discipline can work (and hey! it even makes you popular!)

A pity those German banks didn't have some fiscal discipline of their own, when they happily assisted Irish banks in their orgy of cheap and reckless credit provision. But then who can blame them, when we were always going to pay for their incompetence.

A pity those German banks didn't have some fiscal discipline of their own, when they happily assisted Irish banks in their orgy of cheap and reckless credit provision. But then who can blame them, when we were always going to pay for their incompetence.

Feel free to provide the evidence that nobody else has yet managed to for this claim. I'm sure you have evidence, otherwise you wouldn't make the claim.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Yes, the Germans adore Enda - he has been a well behaved and good boy. ;)

You have some neck saying that seeing as you're a staunch FF man that supported the worst govt in our nations history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Enda's doing a decent job after the mess the last government left it in. What's he supposed to do? Let the country go bankrupt and that's the end of Ireland, hospitals, schools and be brought back to the stone age? People are living in poverty but whats the alternative? Its cheap for multinationals to set up here, but unfortunalty there jobs are not out there for the demand of the population.

One plonker though is Phil Hogan. Household charge and property tax etc when they could easily slash there pensions and all politicians take a further pay cut. Ill pay my household charge when he stops taking 1st class flights and 5 star hotels amounting to 10k a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

You have some neck saying that seeing as you're a staunch FF man that supported the worst govt in our nations history.

Play the ball not the man please.

• Advertisement

Oh I think our current lot are rapidly catching up with them to be honest.

What's the saying about insanity being to repeat the same actions over and over but expecting a different result - which seems to have been government policy so far.

Of course, like the last lot, they're so well insulated from the effects of all this that why would they do any different and risk upsetting the flow of gravy at the top

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement