Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 week old puppy crying

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Perhaps it's because it is a room that he is less familiar with?

You could try:

1. Crate training (maybe use a slightly bigger crate so he has more space in it) & locate that in the kitchen or sitting room. However, the crate shouldn't be too big or that defeats the purpose - have a search on crate training on this forum & on Google.

2. Spend more time with him in the spare bedroom. Feed him in there & play with him there, so it becomes a place where he wants to be.

That link I posted above doesn't seem to be working, so here is the relevant part of the post, many thanks to Whispered:
    Oh great, you have a crate. Did you introduce them to it or did you just stick them in at night. They do need a slow introduction. For now, leave it open beside their bed with a nice soft cushioned blanket in it and feed them in it. Try to incorporate it into games, like throw a toy in for them to retrieve or hide bits of yummy food in the blanket for them to find.

Once they're comfortable going in and out you can leave a normal blanket in place of whatever comfy bed they have at the moment so the crate is more comfortable. They will probably choose to snooze in it themselves then. Once they're going in themselves shut the door when they're eating, but stay in the room, then when they're happy with that shut it and leave the room for a minute. Build it up bit by bit. Even if you decide not to use it in the house it's a great idea to have them used to it for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Best of luck with your wee pup Nathan. I absolutely hate the idea of crates! No way would I leave my dogs in a crate for hours on end, I don't care how homely it is. Ok for travel imo but that's about it.

My little dogs are very attached too, we got a wee girl to keep our little JR company. It's far easier leaving them alone when I see two little heads at the window instead of one! They're just delighted to see us coming home,especially the wee female, she's really attached to us.

Ann22 wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the idea of crates! No way would I leave my dogs in a crate for hours on end, I don't care how homely it is. Ok for travel imo but that's about it.

Crates are not for every dog but some love them & you have no idea until you try. Personally I hate the idea of dogs left at home on their own all day but in many cases needs must & each individual has to make the best choices for their situation.

I have 3 dogs here, our crate was actually bought for the 2nd one but he hated it, so I didn't push it with him. Crate has since been used for many other pets - convalescing cats, rabbits, chickens, ducks ...

Our 3rd dog arrived here 4 months ago. He was already used to a crate & he loves it. It provides him with a safe place to eat his dinner, take his toys or have a nap if he wants to. It is always left open now when we are around & is only shut wen we are all out of the house & not taking him with us, which isn't very often or for very long - max so far has been just short of 3 hours. The rule here is that shutting the crate equals something really yummy & tasty, whether he is in it for 5 minutes or 2 hours ;)

Our oldest dog (now 16) has also become very interested in the crate & now often sneaks in there for a quiet snooze.

For me the big plus of the crate is that it keeps all the dogs safe if they are left alone together. At first, it protected the pup when he was small & now it protects the old fella from unsupervised attention from the pup.

It has definitely made life less stressful for us & for all the dogs and I think even if our pup wasn't already crate-trained when he came to us, it is something I would have persevered with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My dogs love their crates, so much so, that if its up in the kitchen, my big male rottie will stand outside it to get me to open the door so he can go in.

andreac wrote: »
    My dogs love their crates, so much so, that if its up in the kitchen, my big male rottie will stand outside it to get me to open the door so he can go in.

Know exactly what you mean. If the door of his crate is closed over our 7 month Staffie runs into it & headbutts it so that it flies open :D

I'm also in trouble if I forget to take his blankets out before I get his dinner ready (he's fed raw so can be a bit messy). As soon as I pick up the dish or Kong he flies to the crate & nothing will budge him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

andreac wrote: »

Lex is the same, she cried the other day because the crate was closed. I think crates are the bomb :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

pics are here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

nathan89 wrote: »

Ah he is class!!! Thanx for the pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh, that second picture made me smile...My dog loves to sleep like that too - half in and half out of his basket. God know how he finds it comfortable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

nathan89 wrote: »

He is the cutest thing ever!! Love the last pic :)
    They are so cute when they are that size :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

he is cute when he's not whining. although he has got a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Hang in there. It'll get better. My dog took fully two weeks before he stopped whining at night...

Advertisement