Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 week old puppy crying

Options
  • 22-10-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi, i got a yorkie puppy saturday and have been playing and having great time with him but when its his bed time he hates being alone and starts crying. He has a bed with loads of socks toys and a hot water bottle and a ticking clock. Today(Monday) myself and my girlfriend are at work so we got up early to bring him for walk and that before leaving for work. we have an enclosed garden out the back but im afraid to leave him out there on his own as hes so young. He's in a room on his won with his bed and toys available for him and water. Again he was whining when we left. We will be back at lunch(1ish) to him and then home at 5ish. Is there anything we can do to help him get used to being alone. His whining is cute and hate leaving him alone like that??? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

It's really hard but you've got to ignore the whining. He'll be the better for it in the long run and you wont have a puppy who grows up to be a brat :rolleyes:

You sound like you're giving him plenty of exercise and stimulation. Rotate the toys on different days and don't give in to whining. You'll get there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I definitely wouldnt leave him out the back, what you're doing is perfect but you will just have to ignore the crying :) he's just looking for attention, and at that age they are always very insecure after being seperated from his mammy but he will toughen up in a few weeks. I have one myself and she did the exact same - and still does it when we leave her at home on her own which is not often! So you're better off nipping it in the bud now or you'll be stuck like me with a 2 and a half year old yorkie that whines the house down!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

ok. thanks. were trying to ignore it. He's trying to be good going toilet too. He generally waits til we bring him outside on the grass but when we leave him alone and he whines, we cant differentiate between whining for attention and whining to go toilet so we just leave him and there is generally a little accident in the morning. Today is the first day weve had him while working so hopefully were home in time to bring him out to toilet. Any thoughts on leaving him outside for the day? Mornings are very cold. Thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He's only a baby, don't leave him outside!

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    I definitely wouldnt leave him out the back, what you're doing is perfect but you will just have to ignore the crying :) he's just looking for attention, and at that age they are always very insecure after being seperated from his mammy but he will toughen up in a few weeks. I have one myself and she did the exact same - and still does it when we leave her at home on her own which is not often! So you're better off nipping it in the bud now or you'll be stuck like me with a 2 and a half year old yorkie that whines the house down!

ok. thanks. he has some stamina tho. 3 walks a day and he never seems to get tired and i even tried jogging a small bit with him and not a bother on him. hopefully he'll learn soon. thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I'd leave him inside since you'll be away for a few hours. Its pretty cold and my old yorkie used to really feel the cold. They love going out for a run in the morning but yorkies love to snooze so he'll be fine when you're away as long as he has plenty of things to keep him occupied.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

what you're doing is perfect - he settle in over the next week or so. dont worry about toilet accidents - thats normal - just think how tiny his little bladder and bowel is lol! any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Had the same problem myself when my German Shepard was a pup. Every time we went to bed he would just cry for hours on end. At first we used to go down to him and give him some attention but found that this just made the next night even worse. After a couple of weeks we just ignored him (as hard as it was). 2 weeks later there wasn't a sound out of him, and hasn't been since.

So its best to just ride it out. After a couple weeks he'll realise that crying isn't going to get him what he wants. I've seen the flip side with my aunts dog. He practically treated him like a baby and now its a total nightmare. Cries whenever he wants something and won't listen to her at all. Has even chewed up the sofa. You have just to make sure you throw in some discipline as well.

Papillon! wrote: »
    I'd leave him inside since you'll be away for a few hours. Its pretty cold and my old yorkie used to really feel the cold. They love going out for a run in the morning but yorkies love to snooze so he'll be fine when you're away as long as he has plenty of things to keep him occupied.:)

Thanks. He likes the hot water bottle cos its in a dog cover. there are balls and rope the chew on and he loves leaves for some reason. i dont kno if he plays with these cos he justs want to play with me when im there. any items that ye think he would love.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Would you think of taking a week off? 8/9weeks is very young to be left alone for long periods of time!

When we got our dog, my wife was make redundant, so she was at home all day for the first few months. Clearly this isnt something you can do, but if you could take a week, then your girlfriend takes a week, it would help somewhat alleviate the puppys anxiety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Well just because of my personal situation - I would think twice about leaving him out the back all day, I have neighbours that are not very dog friendly (I dont know about your situation) but when you are out all day you cannot see or control what behaviour the pup will get up to! Constant barking, whining will get you in the bad books with your neighbours! Maybe when he gets a bit older but I think he is way too young right now! My vet advised us against keeping the puppy outside all day, as cats and believe it or not magpies are a threat to pups. So if you can I would wait until maybe 3/4 months old when it's gotten bigger and is more familiar with the back garden!

what you're doing is perfect - he settle in over the next week or so. dont worry about toilet accidents - thats normal - just think how tiny his little bladder and bowel is lol! any pics?

Thanks. il put some up tonight if the little lad gives me a few minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

nathan89 wrote: »
    Thanks. He likes the hot water bottle cos its in a dog cover. there are balls and rope the chew on and he loves leaves for some reason. i dont kno if he plays with these cos he justs want to play with me when im there. any items that ye think he would love.

an old shoe or trainer that you dont wear anymore. man those little guys just love chewing on them!!

Zulu wrote: »
    Would you think of taking a week off? 8/9weeks is very young to be left alone for long periods of time!

When we got our dog, my wife was make redundant, so she was at home all day for the first few months. Clearly this isnt something you can do, but if you could take a week, then your girlfriend takes a week, it would help somewhat alleviate the puppys anxiety.

I honestly dont think i can take it off. I am going to take an early lunch so hes alone for 4 hours in morning. and 4 after lunch.

an old shoe or trainer that you dont wear anymore. man those little guys just love chewing on them!!

might buy a colourful pair in penneys for 2EURO. let him go wild with them. think he likes laces

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Well just because of my personal situation - I would think twice about leaving him out the back all day, I have neighbours that are not very dog friendly (I dont know about your situation) but when you are out all day you cannot see or control what behaviour the pup will get up to! Constant barking, whining will get you in the bad books with your neighbours! Maybe when he gets a bit older but I think he is way too young right now! My vet advised us against keeping the puppy outside all day, as cats and believe it or not magpies are a threat to pups. So if you can I would wait until maybe 3/4 months old when it's gotten bigger and is more familiar with the back garden!

the neighbours have dogs but they are grown up dogs and dont whine or bark much. dont know if whining would annoy them but id feel safer having him inside anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Also try leaving a shirt that smells of you with him, so he can cuddle up to it. and invest some kong toys too.
    Best of luck and pop up a picture so we can see the little teddy bear :D

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Also try leaving a shirt that smells of you with him, so he can cuddle up to it. and invest some kong toys too.
    Best of luck and pop up a picture so we can see the little teddy bear :D

I forgot to mention i left a t-shirt with him. I will get a kong tonight. What should i fill it with, his dry food or little treats or peanut butter??? Should i treat a kong as a meal so it counts as one of his meals a day? Thanks

Could anyone give me advice on the use of a kong? does it count as a meal. What's healthy to put in for a puppy and lasts long? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Everything your puppy eats, food wise, counts towards his daily allowance. So whatever you put in, you need to reduce his food in accordance. You can fill it with his food maybe for everyday and something really tasty for other times, such as when you have visitors.

On the shoes side of things, just be careful, those puppy teath go through everything and if he swallows a lace you could end up in trouble. On that note get your pet insurance sorted today. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Depending on what you fill it with it and the size of the kong you use it doesnt count as an entire meal. Filling a large kong with peanut butter every day probably wouldnt be the best idea :) but remember what you are feeding him needs to be deducted from his daily allowence.

Get the small light blue kong to start off with as he is very young. I actually fill ours with the lidl chub pet food - I strongly advise against using lidl or super market foods as a dogs daily diet for a dog as they do not contain the right nutrients for them but as I feed our guy mainly raw / fresh a small kong filled with this every day i think is ok. The main reason I do this is he absolutely loves it and will spend half a day munching and licking at it - we freeze it each night so it takes a bit of work to get it all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

nathan89 wrote: »
    Hi, i got a yorkie puppy saturday and have been playing and having great time with him but when its his bed time he hates being alone and starts crying. He has a bed with loads of socks toys and a hot water bottle and a ticking clock. Today(Monday) myself and my girlfriend are at work so we got up early to bring him for walk and that before leaving for work. we have an enclosed garden out the back but im afraid to leave him out there on his own as hes so young. He's in a room on his won with his bed and toys available for him and water. Again he was whining when we left. We will be back at lunch(1ish) to him and then home at 5ish. Is there anything we can do to help him get used to being alone. His whining is cute and hate leaving him alone like that??? Thanks

we use to have a yorkie and the person we bought her from told us that yorkies are the type of dogs that need company & hate being alone..so we got another dog for her! if you can, get him a doggy friend :)

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Everything your puppy eats, food wise, counts towards his daily allowance. So whatever you put in, you need to reduce his food in accordance. You can fill it with his food maybe for everyday and something really tasty for other times, such as when you have visitors.

On the shoes side of things, just be careful, those puppy teath go through everything and if he swallows a lace you could end up in trouble. On that note get your pet insurance sorted today. :D

Thanks for the info. i usually feed him in morning , at lunch and when i get home from work so might get the kong ready the night before and in the freezer. fill it with his dog food and bit of peanut butter to give him a taste and maybe fat free yogurt, and he can have that when we leave for work and that can be his breakie. Maybe feeding him at lunch is too soon after the kong though???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Try leaving a radio on for him, even during the night it might help. I would'nt walk him 3 times a day either. Rule of thumb is 5mins for every month, so a little break out back should be enough for now.

Same as above never leave him alone out back.

we use to have a yorkie and the person we bought her from told us that yorkies are the type of dogs that need company & hate being alone..so we got another dog for her! if you can, get him a doggy friend :)

i don't think thats possible at the moment im afraid. hopefully he'll get sued to being alone and he'll know that we always come back to play and feed him

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Try leaving a radio on for him, even during the night it might help. I would'nt walk him 3 times a day either. Rule of thumb is 5mins for every month, so a little break out back should be enough for now.

Same as above never leave him alone out back.

ya but he's really fit for a puppy. dont think he'd be tired without the walks. playing with him is hard cos he just wants me to put him on my lap and he'll be happy out. but hes not losing energy that way so i try to throw a ball but hes afraid of it. cant think of any other way to exercise him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

At 9 weeks your pup shouldnt really be going for walks at all, hes still very young. Has he had all of his injections as they shouldnt be out in public until they are finished the course, as its very risky for them for catching diseases such as parvo etc.

Also at 9 weeks your pup isnt "fit", its a very young baby, so shouldnt be brought far at all. The rule for exercise is 5 mins per month of age, so that would only be 10mins actual exercise a day for your pup.

Even if you think your pup is able for walks, its not good for them. Their growing joints and bones cant take too much too quickly and you can do more harm than good and can do long lasting damage to joints, so please dont walk this pup much, even though you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Can I ask, is the point of the kong so that they lick the food out of it? Do they ever manage to empty it?
    Our little fella doesn't seem to have much interest in it and I think it's because its too small and his big tongue can't get into it. He's a Bordeaux so he has a big tongue :D

nemo32 wrote: »
    Can I ask, is the point of the kong so that they lick the food out of it? Do they ever manage to empty it?
    Our little fella doesn't seem to have much interest in it and I think it's because its too small and his big tongue can't get into it. He's a Bordeaux so he has a big tongue :D

i havent got the kong yet. it was suggested by someone on this thread earlier. i would have it to keep him interested in something for a few hours. hes so so attached to me, that i really feel bad when i leave him alone. had to do it there after work and he's whining the poor fella

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    At 9 weeks your pup shouldnt really be going for walks at all, hes still very young. Has he had all of his injections as they shouldnt be out in public until they are finished the course, as its very risky for them for catching diseases such as parvo etc.

Also at 9 weeks your pup isnt "fit", its a very young baby, so shouldnt be brought far at all. The rule for exercise is 5 mins per month of age, so that would only be 10mins actual exercise a day for your pup.

Even if you think your pup is able for walks, its not good for them. Their growing joints and bones cant take too much too quickly and you can do more harm than good and can do long lasting damage to joints, so please dont walk this pup much, even though you want to.

ok. thanks. thought id go with him til he started panting.

Advertisement