Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 week old puppy crying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

nathan89 wrote: »
    ok. thanks. thought id go with him til he started panting.

Oh god, please dont. You wouldnt make a baby walk for ages, so a puppy is the same, they are only babies. They shouldnt be on actual forced walks yet at all. More just let them have a sniff around.

Has your pup had its vaccinations? Because at 9 weeks there is no way its fully over its course so shouldnt be outside yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

andreac wrote: »
    Oh god, please dont. You wouldnt make a baby walk for ages, so a puppy is the same, they are only babies. They shouldnt be on actual forced walks yet at all. More just let them have a sniff around.

Has your pup had its vaccinations? Because at 9 weeks there is no way its fully over its course so shouldnt be outside yet.

due his last one next week. he isnt good at playing yet tho so dont know how else to tire him out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

due his last one next week. he isnt good at playing yet tho so dont know how else to tire him out

Then you shouldnt have him outside yet. In your own garden is fine. But until hes completed his vaccination course, then hes at serious risk of catching infections like Parvo which can be fatal for a young puppy.

No need to tire him out as such. Play with him at home and in the garden. Give him toys to play with. Thats all a puppy at that age should be doing really.

andreac wrote: »
    Then you shouldnt have him outside yet. In your own garden is fine. But until hes completed his vaccination course, then hes at serious risk of catching infections like Parvo which can be fatal for a young puppy.

No need to tire him out as such. Play with him at home and in the garden. Give him toys to play with. Thats all a puppy at that age should be doing really.

ok. thanks for the info

Is it ok to leave him in the same room for night time and when we're gone to work? we put on the radio during the day and turn it off and put on a lamp at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

might buy a colourful pair in penneys for 2EURO. let him go wild with them. think he likes laces

I wouldn't recommend it, a dog can't tell the difference between a pair of €2 shoes from Penney's and a pair of €500 Gucci loafers, so teaching him that chewing on shoes is ok could be a recipe for disaster. Better to get a couple of Kongs or other toys, that way he'll always know what's ok to chew on.

didn't get a chance to put up any pics. the minute im home, all he wants is to hop up on me and cuddle. hard to get anything done. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

didn't get a chance to put up any pics. the minute im home, all he wants is to hop up on me and cuddle. hard to get anything done. ha

I cant wait to see :) Yorkies are my fave dogs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

nemo32 wrote: »
    Can I ask, is the point of the kong so that they lick the food out of it? Do they ever manage to empty it?
    Our little fella doesn't seem to have much interest in it and I think it's because its too small and his big tongue can't get into it. He's a Bordeaux so he has a big tongue :D
    Have several different size Kongs here & can all be completely cleaned out by both my 7 month Staffie & 8 year old Lab. Maybe try the largest size Extreme (black) Kong for your guy?

I stuff them with kibble, cottage cheese, grated cheese, peanut butter, coconut milk, small treats, etc. I usually "seal" the hole to make them last longer - a slice of black or white pudding is just the job, especially if it's frozen! ;)

LisaO wrote: »
    Have several different size Kongs here & can all be completely cleaned out by both my 7 month Staffie & 8 year old Lab. Maybe try the largest size Extreme (black) Kong for your guy?

I stuff them with kibble, cottage cheese, grated cheese, peanut butter, coconut milk, small treats, etc. I usually "seal" the hole to make them last longer - a slice of black or white pudding is just the job, especially if it's frozen! ;)

just got the small one. was afraid he woudnt know how to use it so gave him his ordinary breakie so he wudnt be hungry. ill give him the kong after lunch. i just have his dog food and some treats in it. and il put some peanut butter around the hole so he knows where to start. hopefully he'll be able to get the food out. ill have to give him treats in it and watch him some day so i know how long he takes to get through all the food. i dont think his small mouth would be able to chew large kong. maybe im wrong tho. tried to give him some small bit of apple and carrot. didnt eat either so i dont wanna put strange food inot kong just yet incase he doesnt like it

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. i usually feed him in morning , at lunch and when i get home from work so might get the kong ready the night before and in the freezer. fill it with his dog food and bit of peanut butter to give him a taste and maybe fat free yogurt, and he can have that when we leave for work and that can be his breakie. Maybe feeding him at lunch is too soon after the kong though???

Hi OP. Bearing in mind your pups age & size, he should be on at least 3 & preferably 4 meals a day, so would be fine to give him a Kong for breakfast & then maybe have another one prepared in the fridge or freezer to leave him with at lunchtime.

Peanut butter & kibble may not keep him busy for very long - you will need to experiment by giving him his food in a Kong when you are there to start with, so you can monitor how long it takes him to get through it. If he is finishing it very quickly, it may help to moisten the kibble & freeze it, so that it lasts longer. But don't make it too difficult for him to start with, otherwise he may become disheartened & lose interest in the whole idea.

It's different strokes for different dogs - they are all different & not all dogs are motivated enough by food to persevere with a Kong, whereas they might get hours of fun from a ball or old sock!

just got the small one. was afraid he woudnt know how to use it so gave him his ordinary breakie so he wudnt be hungry. ill give him the kong after lunch. i just have his dog food and some treats in it. and il put some peanut butter around the hole so he knows where to start. hopefully he'll be able to get the food out. ill have to give him treats in it and watch him some day so i know how long he takes to get through all the food. i dont think his small mouth would be able to chew large kong. maybe im wrong tho. tried to give him some small bit of apple and carrot. didnt eat either so i dont wanna put strange food inot kong just yet incase he doesnt like it

Hi OP. Yeah, my post re: size of Kong was in response to poster with a Bordeaux, who would be a whole lot bigger than your little guy! The small puppy Kongs would be fine for your fella I would imagine.

Hi OP. Yeah, my post re: size of Kong was in response to poster with a Bordeaux, who would be a whole lot bigger than your little guy! The small puppy Kongs would be fine for your fella I would imagine.

sorry. misread it. ill give him his dog food in the kong when we leave after lunch and ill see how he has it emptied after work. Hope he likes the kong idea because i feel so bad walking out of the house and he's crying. and can i ask you if its ok to leavea him same room during the day as hes in at night or does it matter? thanks

Personally I dont't think the place you leave them or the environment you create in your dog's area is as important as establishing a routine. Once your dog learns that he will be in a certain place at a certain time & it is a positive experience for him, he will be fine.

I have 3 dogs here. The 2 older ones have their beds in conservatory, where they sleep at night & where they stay when we are out of the house. They know the routine & I only have to ask if they want a biscuit and they scoot to their beds pretty sharpish.

Our Staffy is coming up to 7 months old & was already used to a crate before he came to us. He is my daughters dog - he has a crate in her room but sleeps on her bed mostly. He also has a crate in the conservatory, alongside the other dogs, which he uses as his bed when we are out of the house & he gets fed in there. During the day he will take himself off to either crate for a nap, or curl up in one of the other dog's beds (there are beds in the house as well as conservatory) - although he can often be found relaxing on the sofa! When he first came to us as a 10 week old puppy he was confined to one room downstairs as long as someone was with him & put in his crate anytime we left the room, he was fine with this & it made toilet training a breeze. As he got older & we knew he was less likely to have toileting accidents we relaxed to restrictions on him.
    It is easier with older dogs for the pup to learn from, I think & our little guy has always been quite laid back & easygoing for a puppy. So just stick to your guns, establish the routines for leaving him, night time, etc & try to make the experiences as positive for him as you can. HTH

Personally I dont't think the place you leave them or the environment you create in your dog's area is as important as establishing a routine. Once your dog learns that he will be in a certain place at a certain time & it is a positive experience for him, he will be fine.

I have 3 dogs here. The 2 older ones have their beds in conservatory, where they sleep at night & where they stay when we are out of the house. They know the routine & I only have to ask if they want a biscuit and they scoot to their beds pretty sharpish.

Our Staffy is coming up to 7 months old & was already used to a crate before he came to us. He is my daughters dog - he has a crate in her room but sleeps on her bed mostly. He also has a crate in the conservatory, alongside the other dogs, which he uses as his bed when we are out of the house & he gets fed in there. During the day he will take himself off to either crate for a nap, or curl up in one of the other dog's beds (there are beds in the house as well as conservatory) - although he can often be found relaxing on the sofa! When he first came to us as a 10 week old puppy he was confined to one room downstairs as long as someone was with him & put in his crate anytime we left the room, he was fine with this & it made toilet training a breeze. As he got older & we knew he was less likely to have toileting accidents we relaxed to restrictions on him.
    It is easier with older dogs for the pup to learn from, I think & our little guy has always been quite laid back & easygoing for a puppy. So just stick to your guns, establish the routines for leaving him, night time, etc & try to make the experiences as positive for him as you can. HTH

Thanks. just wanted someones opinion to make sure its ok. cheers

Thanks. just wanted someones opinion to make sure its ok. cheers
    No bothers. But bear in mind that is just my opinion. I am by no means an expert - there are others more experienced & qualified who may be abe to give you more suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭nemo32

Thanks LisaO,

It must be the size of the Kong that's the problem then. He has a sniff around it and tries to get his tougne in then loses interest. He also doesn't like peanut butter so will try at the cottage cheese next when I get the black Kong. Tks for the info

nemo32 wrote: »
    Thanks LisaO,

It must be the size of the Kong that's the problem then. He has a sniff around it and tries to get his tougne in then loses interest. He also doesn't like peanut butter so will try at the cottage cheese next when I get the black Kong. Tks for the info

No problem. Peanut butter isn't for every dog... the texture makes it stick to the roof of their mouth & then they can find it hard to get off - think this is what they use in films, ads, etc to make it look as if the dog is talking!

Your guy might prefer more savoury options - cottage or soft cheese, meat paste, even a smear of marmite or bovril (but very salty!)

Mine are absolute gluttons - I could put celery & lettuce in a Kong & there would be rows over it :)

the little fella didnt get through his kong at lunch. musnt like peanut butter and prob doesnt know how the kong works. ill have to experiment with some food to see what will attract.

See my post above re: peanut butter.

Make sure the kong he has is small enough for him to be able to pick it up & manoeuvre with his mouth & paws.

Start off with small amounts of loose, dry food - regular dog food, tiny cubes of ham & cheese - that will fall out easily when he moves the Kong around. Then slowly increase the difficulty of it.

It has to be worth the effort for him, otherwise he will lose interest.

Good Luck

• Advertisement

See my post above re: peanut butter.

Make sure the kong he has is small enough for him to be able to pick it up & manoeuvre with his mouth & paws.

Start off with small amounts of loose, dry food - regular dog food, tiny cubes of ham & cheese - that will fall out easily when he moves the Kong around. Then slowly increase the difficulty of it.

It has to be worth the effort for him, otherwise he will lose interest.

Good Luck

i bought the smallest one. im gonna try it tonight when im supervising him. may need to get some of that meat paste so he's attracted to it. thanks

Plus if you are there you can encourage him & help him get all the bits out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

another option is to cut up cooked rashers/liver/chicken/left over sunday roast into marble sized pieces that will easily fall out of the kong.
    Half fill the kong with this food. Then plug the small hole of the kong with cheese. Then fill the kong with water and freeze over night in the freezer. Try to have a piece of food at the top when it freezes.
    The dog will then be slowly drip fed the food while the meat flavoured ice melts. If your dog is teething, the cold kong/ice will provide relief for their gums. The food will last a lot longer. And there's more of a puzzle for your dog to work out. All this equals happy puppy.

Zulu wrote: »
    another option is to cut up cooked rashers/liver/chicken/left over sunday roast into marble sized pieces that will easily fall out of the kong.
    Half fill the kong with this food. Then plug the small hole of the kong with cheese. Then fill the kong with water and freeze over night in the freezer. Try to have a piece of food at the top when it freezes.
    The dog will then be slowly drip fed the food while the meat flavoured ice melts. If your dog is teething, the cold kong/ice will provide relief for their gums. The food will last a lot longer. And there's more of a puzzle for your dog to work out. All this equals happy puppy.

ill try that. might wait til he's familiar with the idea of the kong first. thanks

anyone have any good tips on getting a puppy into his room when leaving for work. our lad has learned that when we bring him into his room, that means were leaving and he runs back out. We tried giving him a treat when he was sitting in his bed but he's too smart??

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

anyone have any good tips on getting a puppy into his room when leaving for work. our lad has learned that when we bring him into his room, that means were leaving and he runs back out. We tried giving him a treat when he was sitting in his bed but he's too smart??

I use a large metal crate for my Yorkie, I only got him a month or so ago... and LOVE HIM!! The crate is probably the size i should be using for a large dog but i love that he has a bit of room to move about. anyway a few evenings at the start we sat down and took turns throwing little tiny bits of chicken or carrot's in to the crate and said bed, this got him really excited about going in there, we also started placing his food in there at meal times and only last Saturday got a kong and now im giving him that in the mornings when im going to work. So he dosn't associate the crate with us leaving more with getting yummy food.

Have you a pick of your yorkie? Just a tip I got mine he was 4 months old and in the last month he has grown so much so take loads of pics of him now as a baby cause they are not long growing up.

Lisa

I use a large metal crate for my Yorkie, I only got him a month or so ago... and LOVE HIM!! The crate is probably the size i should be using for a large dog but i love that he has a bit of room to move about. anyway a few evenings at the start we sat down and took turns throwing little tiny bits of chicken or carrot's in to the crate and said bed, this got him really excited about going in there, we also started placing his food in there at meal times and only last Saturday got a kong and now im giving him that in the mornings when im going to work. So he dosn't associate the crate with us leaving more with getting yummy food.

Have you a pick of your yorkie? Just a tip I got mine he was 4 months old and in the last month he has grown so much so take loads of pics of him now as a baby cause they are not long growing up.

Lisa

Thanks for the info Lisa. I have a cushiony bed for him instead of a crate. I might try feeding him in that room. He's only 9 weeks so he's young. I have pics on my phone but he doesn't give me any time to upload them and can't at work at the moment :) Do ya think he's too young to eat human food. I kno he wont eat carrots, bananas or peanut butter. Would he be able to digest small bits of chicken or ham?

i need some advice on getting the pup into his room when we're leaving. he's got very smart very quickly and he knows when we bring him into the room that we're are leaving him. regardless of food or treats he knows whats coming. Any advice as today at lunch, we had mini scuffle to get him in the room and close the door before he ran out? Thanks

Could you maybe give us more info about where you are leaving him?

Is it a room he often spends time in? Alone or with you? What else does he do when in that room - is it a place where he plays, gets fed ?

This post on another thread pretty much sums up the process you need to follow - see post #9:

[URL="http:///www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790275"]http:///www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790275[/URL]

Have you thought about getting a crate for your pup? He is at an ideal age to get used to it & it would provide a very safe & secure place for a puppy of his size - a room that seems cosy to us must seem vast to him!

The key to everything with puppies is endless patience/repetition, keep it fun & light and tiny tiny steps. Difficult I know when you are trying to settle him down & scoot back to work on your lunch hour.

Maybe look ahead to the bank holiday weekend & think how you might put together a plan for getting him happier to be leftalone?

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Could you maybe give us more info about where you are leaving him?

Is it a room he often spends time in? Alone or with you? What else does he do when in that room - is it a place where he plays, gets fed ?

This post on another thread pretty much sums up the process you need to follow - see post #9:
    http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056790275

Have you thought about getting a crate for your pup? He is at an ideal age to get used to it & it would provide a very safe & secure place for a puppy of his size - a room that seems cosy to us must seem vast to him!

The key to everything with puppies is endless patience/repetition, keep it fun & light and tiny tiny steps. Difficult I know when you are trying to settle him down & scoot back to work on your lunch hour.

Maybe look ahead to the bank holiday weekend & think how you might put together a plan for getting him happier to be leftalone?

Good Luck

there's a spare bedroom in the bungalow we're staying in. It's a small room that would fit a single ned but there's nothing in the room except his cushiony bed, his toys and a bowl of water.
    I have a small crate that i put him in if im heading back to the family house at weekends. he's in that in the car but that's not very often. i just feel if i put him in the crate for hours, it's a bit confined for him. 4 hours in it before lunch and 4 hours after lunch.
    He is only in that bedroom when we are gone. we have him in the kitchen when we're cooking and then bring him into the sitting room when we're watching tv and that.
    the spare bedroom seems like the best room for him cos there's nothing for him to destroy in there. I got him a kennel and its out back in the garden but i don't leave him outside when i'm gone yet cos he's too tiny. I hope it's something he'll just get used to. only have him since saturday so not expecting him to be perfect but just looking for tips and guidance:) thanks

Advertisement