Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO press release regarding religious demographics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Breaking news: People are stupid.

More on this story at 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

GarIT wrote: »
    If an Athiest was handed definitive proof of god they would still have to say there is no god.
    An atheist looks for proof of any god and none is there, hence they do not believe in any god. An agnostic is prepared to believe it's possible, in spite of no proof and adopts a "we don't know, so wait and see" attitude, rather than one of disbelief.
    If there was definitive proof of god, it would render disbelief null and void. Obviously. And that's what's wrong with your point AFAIK.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be so sure!

Since atheism doesn’t import any kind of practice requirement comparable to mass attendance, an exact analogy isn’t possible. But it could well be that a fair chunk of the 277,237 that koth mentions fail to conform to the platonic ideal of an atheist, so to speak, except that nobody has measured this yet.

They’ve measured it in the US, of course. (There are measures of everything there, if you look hard enough.) And there are some slightly surprising findings.

Among American atheists and agnostics, for example - that’s not including the no-religionists; it’s people who actively identify as atheist or agnostic - 16% say that religion is either very important or somewhat important to them. (Comparable figure for those the no-religionists: 42%; for those with a religious affiliation; 91%). 7% of atheists/agnostics say they are religious; 34% are spiritual but not religious; only 57% are neither. Startlingly, 24% of atheists/agnostics are either absolutely certain or fairly certain of the existence of a god or universal spirit. Another 14% have some degree of openness to the possibility while only 54% exclude it entirely. 6% of atheists/agnostics report that they pray daily(!) and a further 11% at least monthly. 75% of atheists/agnostics believe that religion plays an important role in helping the poor, 73% that it is important in building community bonds and 35% think that churches, etc, contribute a great deal, or some, to solving important social problems. 35% also agree that churches, etc, protect and strengthen morality in society.

Of course, these findings wouldn’t necessary be replicated in a study of Irish atheists and agnostics. Still, there’s a striking contrast there between some of those findings and the model of atheism/agnosticism which predominates on this Board. You can’t help feeling that if a similar study were undertaken of the view and attitudes of Irish atheists/agnostics, there might be a couple of “disparities” lurking in there.

Ha! That's mad altogether:-) Wasn't aware of that at all. Have to say, I thought atheism was about NOT believing in any deity. I'll take your point so :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Obliq wrote: »
    An atheist looks for proof of any god and none is there, hence they do not believe in any god. An agnostic is prepared to believe it's possible, in spite of no proof and adopts a "we don't know, so wait and see" attitude, rather than one of disbelief.
    If there was definitive proof of god, it would render disbelief null and void. Obviously. And that's what's wrong with your point AFAIK.

It's more that a/gnosticism is a statement about knowledhe (thats what gnostic means) whereas a/theism is about belief.

Someone who is gnostic claims to know something, so an agnostic is someone who claims to not have 100% evidence on a position.

Whereas an a/theist is someone with a position on a god claim.

It is therefore possible to be a gnostic theist (someone who is SURE there is a god), an agnostic theist (someone who admits they cannot have 100% evidence there is a god) and the opposite is true as well.

I am, disproving GarITs post, an agnostic atheist. I do not claim to know 100% there is no god: I have just never seen a single piece of convincing evidence for him. If I were handed convincing evidence tomorrow, I would reconsider. That's the point of trying to be rational.

Agnosticm and atheism are not different points on a sliding scale, but relative on an axis. I will dig out the standard image in a mo :)

atheism-agnosticism.png

I am, disproving GarITs post, an agnostic atheist. I do not claim to know 100% there is no god: I have just never seen a single piece of convincing evidence for him. If I were handed convincing evidence tomorrow, I would reconsider. That's the point of trying to be rational.

Ah, thankyou:-) That saves me a good bit of wallowing about in terminology! Ok, seems I'm an agnostic atheist too.

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Ah, thankyou:-) That saves me a good bit of wallowing about in terminology! Ok, seems I'm an agnostic atheist too.

Most people I've talked to are :)

It's a weird thing though, I've seen many, many religious people try to make atheists fit the definition GarIT posted, I assume in an attempt to play the old "you're just like us when it comes down to it only you worship atheism instead of our god" but for the vast majority it simply is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Sometimes, people amaze me.

How can someone call themselves a Roman Catholic and believe this?!?!?

They don't know what they're doing. Bless em. But they have all the gossip regarding the X Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Most people I've talked to are :)

It's a weird thing though, I've seen many, many religious people try to make atheists fit the definition GarIT posted, I assume in an attempt to play the old "you're just like us when it comes down to it only you worship atheism instead of our god" but for the vast majority it simply is not true.

It's one of those bizarre arguments that's made.

"See you're just as irrational as we are!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Agnosticm and atheism are not different points on a sliding scale, but relative on an axis. I will dig out the standard image in a mo :)

atheism-agnosticism.png

Far-right, Tea Bagger, Christine O'Donnell dumped her boyfriend because he believed he was going to heaven, but she knew she was, with 'absolute certainty'.

As good a reason as any. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thats exactly how we were told it worked in school, still have it written down in an old copy :p

Literally what I have is "An Atheist does not believe in any higher power and believes that it is not possible that there is a higher power. An Agnostic person thinks there is no god but would be convinced otherwise if there was proof."

It would make you think that some things need to be changed but for this discussion I still think all children should be classed as no religion, or the census shouldnt be allowed to ask the religion of people under 18.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly how we were told it worked in school, still have it written down in an old copy :p

Literally what I have is "An Atheist does not believe in any higher power and believes that it is not possible that there is a higher power. An Agnostic person thinks there is no god but would be convinced otherwise if there was proof."

It would make you think that some things need to be changed but for this discussion I still think all children should be classed as no religion, or the census shouldnt be allowed to ask the religion of people under 18.

I suppose if it was a religious school it makes sense to make atheists seem silly and dogmatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There were 4,690 children aged under one year who had no religion.

Hillarious. That should read 3.8million surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

During a discussion once with my in-laws they insisted that I was an agnostic not an atheist because I made my decision based on the evidence and if God was to reveal himself to me there and then I would become a believer.
    I replied, as Dawkins does, that in that sense I am an agnostic, but im also a tooth fairy agnostic, a Thor agnostic, a Zeus agnostic etc.

Think that sums the "agnostic atheist" up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's how I was taught it in school too. It's a simplified version for consumption by children. Sadly, religious instruction in this country never rises above that level, and most people retain this misconception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

This thread would seem to indicate that the Catholic Church has a bigger presence in the lives of athiests/ agnostics than it does on people who enjoy a Christening and wedding piss up once every blue moon and dont even know what time their local mass is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jaysus, an Irish school teaching something incorrect; who would have thunk it?

Incidentally there's a whole thread of 'Most Incorrect Things You Were Taught' over in AH, if you want more examples of top-notch Irish school teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Far-right, Tea Bagger, Christine O'Donnell dumped her boyfriend because he believed he was going to heaven, but she knew she was, with 'absolute certainty'.

As good a reason as any. :rolleyes:
    I think he had a lucky escape tbh.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This thread would seem to indicate that the Catholic Church has a bigger presence in the lives of athiests/ agnostics than it does on people who enjoy a Christening and wedding piss up once every blue moon and dont even know what time their local mass is on.
    Of course the influence of the church is going to be more obvious to those on whom it is forced, rather than those who happily accept and ignore it.

Dades wrote: »
    Of course the influence of the church is going to be more obvious to those on whom it is forced, rather than those who happily accept and ignore it.

So I ignore the apparent influence of the church? So where does the problem lie, exactly? If the influence of the church was so overbearing, it would be impossible for me to ignore it. The church has had about the same amount of influence on Irish society post 1980s as it does in more traditionally secular European states like France and Scandanavia.

It is hard to ignore the rule of the therocracy if one lives in Iran, but if one lives in Ireland it is all pretty voluntary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It is hard to ignore the rule of the therocracy if one lives in Iran, but if one lives in Ireland it is all pretty voluntary.
    That is, in no sense, true.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056786447

• Advertisement

http://www.galwaynews.ie/28416-galway-city-has-country%E2%80%99s-biggest-proportion-people-no-religion
    From today's Connacht Sentinel
    Galway City has the highest proportion of people who say they have no religion compared with the rest of the country, according to the Central Statistics Office.

An in-depth analysis of the 2011 Census figures show that 10.5% of people living in Galway City are categorised as having no religion. Galway City had the highest percentage of people with no religion in any city or county across the country, and has almost twice the numbers of cities, Limerick and Waterford.

The data found that people with no religion, including Atheists and Agnostics, have higher levels of education than the general population – they were more than twice as likely to have a postgraduate degree and more than half had a third level qualification compared with 35.5% of the general population, the analysis found.

robindch wrote: »

And talented football players have been coerced into the game rather soccer, which they may personally prefer playing. Particularly in the countryside. Likewise, students in fee paying schools of mixed sports athletic ability would typically be nudged towards making rugby their preference. Schools put coersion and influence into a whole lot of areas. Religion is pretty far down the list in all truth.

The main reason nobody under 40 gives a sh1te about the church anymore is not increased education, the scandals, or apathy to their previous influence. The main reason is because 99% of people who went to school from the 80s onwards were never educated on why it is meant to be relevant to our society. In fact, for a great deal of the generation born in the 80s, their main memories of religion are the fun parts- christenings, weddings, confirmations, getting legless after the end of school mass. For most people of a certain age group most of their interactions with church affairs have involved receiving money and getting pissed. Its no wonder society hangs on to the good parts of it all!

The main reason nobody under 40 gives a sh1te about the church anymore is not increased education, the scandals, or apathy to their previous influence. The main reason is because 99% of people who went to school from the 80s onwards were never educated on why it is meant to be relevant to our society. In fact, for a great deal of the generation born in the 80s, their main memories of religion are the fun parts- christenings, weddings, confirmations, getting legless after the end of school mass. For most people of a certain age group most of their interactions with church affairs have involved receiving money and getting pissed. Its no wonder society hangs on to the good parts of it all!

Woah there! Is it up to the education system to teach children why the church might be relevant in our society? I would have thought that was the church's job. While in church. Not school.
    Saying that the main reason that nobody under 40 gives a sh1te about church is because of school, disregards an entire generation's reasoning and awareness about how irrelevant, out of touch and boring church is. Church. Not school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

• Registered Users Posts: 26,162 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Interesting. Why is Galway so godless, I wonder?

For a bonus point, which town or city has the lowest proportion of people with no religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It is interesting. We haven't been hit as badly as other areas in Ireland with damning child abuse reports. It wouldn't have surprised me if Cloyne had seen the biggest drop in religion, for example.

It says that Galway City and Kilmacduagh (County Galway) had the biggest drops in religious affiliation in the country. It's kind of ironic that Kilmacduagh is famous for its old monastery.

Ha, I've just noticed this.
    56.2: The percentage of those with no religion (incl. Atheist and Agnostic) who were single, the highest
    of any religious group
    Forever alone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,162 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

For a bonus point, which town or city has the lowest proportion of people with no religion?
    I checked the CSO site. Going by counties rather than cities, Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan have the lowest proportion of people with no religion. They're a God-fearing lot in Ulster, obviously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Why is Galway so godless, I wonder?
    Well, Eamon Casey was Bishop of Galway for many years and before that, in Kerry, where his input helped no end in making me the good catholic I cam today.

I'd put it down to the colleges (and to a lesser extent the foreigners and the general bohemian attitude here)

There are about 25,000 students between NUIG and GMIT out of a population of 75,000

*in the interests of disclosure I am not a student, foreigner or bohemian*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Because I left. :cool:

Advertisement