Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist forced to participate in prayer at school

Options
  • 21-10-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭

Alarming story about a young man age 16 forced to participate in prayer in a so called multi denomiational school. Page 7 main section of Sunday Times. Can't find link to it.

The school is Borrisokane in Co. tipp.

http://www.borrisokanecc.ie/

The young man is lodging a complaint to the Irish Human Rights Commission.

<snip>

It's the 21st Century and we have to stop this cr*p. Remember, your taxes. Remember, our educational system. Remember, we are not even asking people to become atheists we are just asking to stop this nonsense of forcing people to believe something ridiculous.

As far as I am concerned this is a Rosa Parks story and people need to stand up once and for all to this ridiculous nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Do you have a link to the story itself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Page 7 main section of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

If it was said to be on the 16th Oct, the school website said there was a prayer service to mark the start of the year. Now, being forced to attend a prayer service during school time, presumably when all staff were also attending and there wouldn't be anyone to supervise the student isn't particularly egregious. Unless they made him literally say the prayers under threat of sanction, or if it was outside hours and he was compelled to attend, I'm not entirely sure there's a problem.

Edit: Found the article. Todays Sunday Times. Not available for full viewing without sub.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1153663.ece
    An athiest student has complained to the Irish Human Rights Commission (IHRC) that he was forced to attend a compulsory prayer service at his vocational education committee (VEC) school, breaching his human rights.

Nathan Young, a 16-year-old student at Borrisokane community college in Co Tipperary, demanded in a blog, letter and email to the school that the principal apologise and promise not to make religious events mandatory for students in the future. Chris Young, his father, said he supported his son’s decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A quick trot around the website reveals that religious education is a core part of the curriculum (two periods a week), "Religious services take place throughout the year to celebrate special occasions in the church and school", the school has a chaplain and a dedicated oratory, there's a "Church of Ireland community representative" on the board of management (Canon Stephen Neill).

The school may be multi-denominational, but it plainly has a religious character. I think it's a bit unrealistic, to be honest, for this fellow to think he can attend such a school and never be exposed to any manifestation of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Rosa Parks? really??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Students from Borrisokane smashed up a bus just three weeks before
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81106545

Rosa Parks was probably not involved, you'd need to be a local to know that

The school got a lot of unwanted attention for something that was not even their fault so maybe the school wants everyone together to supervise them?

Leaving a few behind in school without supervision is asking for messing and at worst an accident and a claim, ca-ching

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The school may be multi-denominational, but it plainly has a religious character. I think it's a bit unrealistic, to be honest, for this fellow to think he can attend such a school and never be exposed to any manifestation of religion.

If he were Jewish, Muslim or Jehovah's Witness you can be sure they wouldn't have made him attend.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A quick trot around the website reveals that religious education is a core part of the curriculum (two periods a week), "Religious services take place throughout the year to celebrate special occasions in the church and school", the school has a chaplain and a dedicated oratory, there's a "Church of Ireland community representative" on the board of management (Canon Stephen Neill).

He's not complaining about being exposed to any manifestation of religion, he's complaining about being forced to go to a prayer service when he's not religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

More on the story here.

If the boy doesn't want to say his prayers, don't make him say his prayers. Let him sit in the classroom with a teacher and read. It would probably do the boy more good, anyhow. I shouldn't imagine they'd find it hard to find a teacher to volunteer to babysit him.

I wonder what the IHRC will make of it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

goose2005 wrote: »
    If he were Jewish, Muslim or Jehovah's Witness you can be sure they wouldn't have made him attend.
    I'm not sure you can. Wasn't Tipp one of the most catholic places in Ireland according to the census?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Katie C

Ok, Hi guys.. :) Im actually loving what yee have wrote so far, but my dear, Tim, who started this thread... You dont really know what youre on about, babe... I actually went to school at BCC.. Was a good member of the school community and took part in everything.. That young man who wrote to the Human Rights peeps.. Well, he actually took part in the service basically every year.. I just done the leaving cert and left the school.. Now he was a lovely child like and his brother was in my class.. they loved school shur.. Like what can I say.. Was a pretty amazing school community.. We went through everything down there.. When it rained outside you would be wet inside due to the leaks.. Borris is not really like any other school in the country.. its good craic like.. And we all still come out with good results.. Pretty good school if you know what I mean.. the principal works terribley hard to make sure we were happy in school so I actually don't know where this young lad is coming from complaining about the place.. In religon class, God wasnt really mentioned and shur there was even an atheist lad in my class and he took part in every class, giving his side to the story.. Then shur, the service every year, EVERYONE was included, doesnt matter what religon you are.. Be graaaand, like.. :D Shur most people didnt take part, maybe this lad didnt this year but like, all he had to do was sit there and just chat with the lads.. Have a bit of banter... The reason everyone goes is to be suervised.. Like shur the lad could go run off somewhere and hurt himself.. School be blamed like.. Not exactly fair on them if that did happen.. Shur, il finish up now.. Borris is actually a totes amazeballs school and we have the best school community ever so I wouldnt really go saying stuff like that.. thanks, bud.. :)

pauldla wrote: »
    More on the story here.

If the boy doesn't want to say his prayers, don't make him say his prayers. Let him sit in the classroom with a teacher and read. It would probably do the boy more good, anyhow. I shouldn't imagine they'd find it hard to find a teacher to volunteer to babysit him.

I wonder what the IHRC will make of it?

Oh am, babe.. thing is Im a student teacher at the mo... And I don't want to be paid to babysit.. I've a higher qualification like.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well that clears everything up.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Katie C wrote: »

Oh am, babe.. thing is Im a student teacher at the mo... And I don't want to be paid to babysit.. I've a higher qualification like.. :)
    A student teacher? Really? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you have a lot of work to do....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not planning on teaching English I hope?

Ok, Hi guys.. :) Im actually loving what yee have wrote so far, but my dear, Tim, who started this thread... You dont really know what youre on about, babe... I actually went to school at BCC.. Was a good member of the school community and took part in everything.. That young man who wrote to the Human Rights peeps.. Well, he actually took part in the service basically every year.. I just done the leaving cert and left the school.. Now he was a lovely child like and his brother was in my class.. they loved school shur.. Like what can I say.. Was a pretty amazing school community.. We went through everything down there.. When it rained outside you would be wet inside due to the leaks.. Borris is not really like any other school in the country.. its good craic like.. And we all still come out with good results.. Pretty good school if you know what I mean.. the principal works terribley hard to make sure we were happy in school so I actually don't know where this young lad is coming from complaining about the place.. In religon class, God wasnt really mentioned and shur there was even an atheist lad in my class and he took part in every class, giving his side to the story.. Then shur, the service every year, EVERYONE was included, doesnt matter what religon you are.. Be graaaand, like.. :D Shur most people didnt take part, maybe this lad didnt this year but like, all he had to do was sit there and just chat with the lads.. Have a bit of banter... The reason everyone goes is to be suervised.. Like shur the lad could go run off somewhere and hurt himself.. School be blamed like.. Not exactly fair on them if that did happen.. Shur, il finish up now.. Borris is actually a totes amazeballs school and we have the best school community ever so I wouldnt really go saying stuff like that.. thanks, bud.. :)
    Are ya shur like?

endacl wrote: »
    A student teacher? Really? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you have a lot of work to do....[/QUOTE

Look it, visit BCC..:) You'll see the type of amazing community down there.. You don't really know what youre talking about here.. yee are seeing one side of the story.. And when you go get your education degree, come back and comment on me.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It does be how they do be speaking in Tipp shur

You should visit

Ah, nil me.. Is brea liom an gaeilge agus i mo thuarim fein, ta an todhchai go hiontach ar fad don gaelige.. :D

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

You should visit

Great part of the country shur.. ;)

mikemac1 wrote: »

You should visit

It's not often someone can convey an accent so convincingly through text. It's a special talent :)

Ah, nil me.. Is brea liom an gaeilge agus i mo thuarim fein, ta an todhchai go hiontach ar fad don gaelige.. :D

No Spanish please. We talk the queens English in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Excellent Katie, a silver star on your copy book - a gold star for when you improve and learn to use the fada also ;)

No Spanish please. We talk the queens English in this country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvw3O38tL10
    An Gaeigle: an teanga is fearr!!!

iPhone. wrote: »
    Excellent Katie, a silver star on your copy book - a gold star for when you improve and learn to use the fada also ;)

Oh, go raibh míle maith agut.. :D

endacl wrote: »
    A student teacher? Really? Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you have a lot of work to do....[/QUOTE

Look it, visit BCC..:) You'll see the type of amazing community down there.. You don't really know what youre talking about here.. yee are seeing one side of the story.. And when you go get your education degree, come back and comment on me.. :)
    My education degree was completed years ago. Halfway through a second M.sc. at the moment. Is it ok to comment now?

Oh, go raibh míle maith agut.. :D
    agat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Oh, go raibh míle maith agat.. :D

Excellent - Gold star - spot the one subtle difference - lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I've a higher qualification like.. :)
    So you must have attended the odd "ploughing match" in your day. Is that where you got your "higher qualification".

IME not even Borrisokane boggers express themselves like you babe? Are you from Borris-in-Ossory or Borrisoleigh or even Ballygobackwards?

Advertisement