Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

By the way, do you not see a bit of a contradiction between your second and third sentences there?

No, I don't see a contradiction. It's a 12 woman tournament where there are 4-5 real good competitors, and the rest are good. Seeding in this case means little.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    No, I don't see a contradiction. It's a 12 woman tournament where there are 4-5 real good competitors, and the rest are good. Seeding in this case means little.

No bother. It is the way it is, anyway. We'll see how it turns out for us later today.

Can just about make out that it's the winner of Finland (Potkonnen) v Brazil (Araujo) for Taylor's q/f.

Alekseeva & the Russian also seeded through to last 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Full of cheer, you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

walshb wrote: »
    Full of cheer, you!

Better he/she gets caught now than later if he/she wins a medal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Better he/she gets caught now than later if he/she wins a medal

It's a he apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Cocaine maybe? I'm not sure steroids or stimulants would be that much help in amateur boxing.

I'd hazard a guess at some absolute nonsense substance or a diuretic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Would your guess be the same if the boxer was from Russia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Strazdas wrote: »
    Cocaine maybe? I'm not sure steroids or stimulants would be that much help in amateur boxing.

Are you having a laugh?

D9Male wrote: »
    Would your guess be the same if the boxer was from Russia?

Yes. It's quite the drug of choice in amateur boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I misread your post, walshb. I thought you were suggesting diuretics were a nonsense drug. Clearly for boxing they are not.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh?

Amateur boxers are already at a high level of fitness, don't pick up many injuries and only have to box for nine minutes. What would they need a load of anabolic steroids for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Amateur boxers are already at a high level of fitness, don't pick up many injuries and only have to box for nine minutes. What would they need a load of anabolic steroids for?
    Oh my...

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Oh my...

So amateur boxing is riddled with failed drugs tests and today's news is yet another in a long litany of them? I must have missed all of this when it was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If not steroids, then something like Clomid which is the current drug of choice of the UFC. Its an estrogen blocker used either after a steroid cycle to kick start the natural testosterone production or simply taken to boost exiting natural testosterone levels. Or it could be a fat burner like Clenbutoral or any number of PED's aside from steroids.

Most athlete's at the highest level of sport take some sort of PED. If not, they push the boundaries by partaking in the 'legalised medicalization' of sport. An example of that is Maria Sharapova. Before she fell foul of the WADA rule change on Meldonium, her supplement intake read like the inventory of a pharmacy. For a fit and healthy 29 year old, she apparently had the physiology of an 80+ year old woman with severe heart, lung, liver and bone density problems.

Professional athlete's are among the most ruthless people on the planet. If they know their competitor is doing or taking XYZ, then they will do or take XYZ.

So amateur boxing is riddled with failed drugs tests and today's news is yet another in a long litany of them? I must have missed all of this when it was happening.

Don't forget AIBA is the crowd that did only 1 OOC test over the past two years. If no positives was the litmus test for cleanliness, no soccer player would ever be suspected. Ever.

Don't forget AIBA is the crowd that did only 1 OOC test over the past two years. If no positives was the litmus test for cleanliness, no soccer player would ever be suspected. Ever.

I'd agree about the problem of lack of drug testing in the sport. You'd wonder though would it even be worth the effort, there's no money at all in the amateur game......in the pro sports, you can at least earn a small fortune by doping if you're successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'd agree about the problem of lack of drug testing in the sport. You'd wonder though would it even be worth the effort, there's no money at all in the amateur game......in the pro sports, you can at least earn a small fortune by doping if you're successful.

It's about competition... being competitive. And If he could have won Olympic gold then it sets him up for life really. Certainly worth the risk for many.

I expect this games will produce many positive tests, perhaps some high profile ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Oh my...

I'm amazed that you got that from two words and three dots!

I was responding to the idea that anabolics wouldn't be useful for boxing. ...And that amateurs don't take PEDs ...and the implication that athletes that take PEDs aren't already training/performing to a high level ...and ...and

I made no comment on how prevalent it actually is in boxing, I haven't a clue one way or the other, but the incentive is certainly there.

I think it's hard to be specific about motivation or what kind of athletes dope. Maybe the question is what kind of athletes are most likely to get caught. So we might get the odd high profile one, the Lance or the Gatlin, but mostly you're just getting the low hanging fruit, the ones who cant afford the best doctors and more sophisticated methods but are desperate to try anything to get to the next level.

I think it's hard to be specific about motivation or what kind of athletes dope. Maybe the question is what kind of athletes are most likely to get caught. So we might get the odd high profile one, the Lance or the Gatlin, but mostly you're just getting the low hanging fruit, the ones who cant afford the best doctors and more sophisticated methods but are desperate to try anything to get to the next level.

We do know that PEDs are more often found in the power / strength / stamina sports like athletics, cycling, swimming, rowing and weightlifting.

You'd wonder though how much use they would be in amateur boxing, which does rely on things like skill, footwork and mental agility just as much as strength and stamina. Perhaps it might be tempting for the guys a bit further down the ladder who think it might give them an edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sounds like it was recreational use. If so, then very stupid of him, but one would feel sorry for him.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Sounds like it was recreational use. If so, then very stupid of him, but one would feel sorry for him.

I'd be inclined to feel less sorry. Reckless arrogant stupidity.

More sickened for him and Ireland than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ososlo wrote: »

Why feel sorry for him? What an utterly moronic thing to do. It's entirely his own fault! I feel sorry for the coaches, and whoever would have qualified in his place.

We do know that PEDs are more often found in the power / strength / stamina sports like athletics, cycling, swimming, rowing and weightlifting.

You'd wonder though how much use they would be in amateur boxing, which does rely on things like skill, footwork and mental agility just as much as strength and stamina. Perhaps it might be tempting for the guys a bit further down the ladder who think it might give them an edge.

What you're saying is right. But I'd qualify it by saying we believe it's more prevalent in these sports because they're the ones that have had the focus put on them and have stricter testing regimes than the likes of football, tennis, golf etc where, frankly, they still don't want to catch cheaters or give that impression. And you're then straying close to the margins of the old argument that, sure, why would footballers dope, isn't it a game of skill etc

The key point about doping isn't that it makes you race/jump/stretch/throw faster or whatever. It's that it allows you to TRAIN harder, to recover quicker, to feel fresher, to be able to push yourself harder no matter what discipline you're in. It's all very well having the quickest hands or silkiest feet in the business, but if you're out on your feet, technique is going to fall apart on you.

What you're saying is right. But I'd qualify it by saying we believe it's more prevalent in these sports because they're the ones that have had the focus put on them and have stricter testing regimes than the likes of football, tennis, golf etc where, frankly, they still don't want to catch cheaters or give that impression. And you're then straying close to the margins of the old argument that, sure, why would footballers dope, isn't it a game of skill etc

The key point about doping isn't that it makes you race/jump/stretch/throw faster or whatever. It's that it allows you to TRAIN harder, to recover quicker, to feel fresher, to be able to push yourself harder no matter what discipline you're in. It's all very well having the quickest hands or silkiest feet in the business, but if you're out on your feet, technique is going to fall apart on you.

I suppose the thing that would put amateur boxers off them is that each fight is only nine minutes long. For sure, you sometimes see a boxer who is knackered and gasping for air in the last round but taking drugs would be a huge risk to try and offset this.

• Advertisement

I suppose the thing that would put amateur boxers off them is that each fight is only nine minutes long. For sure, you sometimes see a boxer who is knackered and gasping for air in the last round but taking drugs would be a huge risk to try and offset this.

But it can be 9 minutes of gut busting intensity. 9 mins of intense boxing is probably the most intense and tough activities of any 9 minutes of sport.

Advertisement