Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Jealous much? Because that's what it's coming across as.

Oh come on, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Typing is a life skill that everyone should have, not just members of AGS.

Anyone that uses a computer types, just not as fast as a touch typist who has trained at it.

How many words a minute can you type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Link please, because i've certainly never heard of this.

You should know all about this offer. I should have said €30,000 for a 3 year break, but ye got up from the table of negotiations and are staging a blue flu. Do ye not talk about what's been offered?

As for the jealous comment. What's to be jealous of? If is so crap, why do you think I have any reason to be jealous?

Boombastic wrote: »
    You should know all about this offer. I should have said €30,000 for a 3 year break, but ye got up from the table of negotiations and are staging a blue flu. Do ye not talk about what's been offered?

As for the jealous comment. What's to be jealous of? If is so crap, why do you think I have any reason to be jealous?

Was the career break offered to anyone yet or is this just a suggestion thrown about?
    Work to rule is not blue flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

by my calculations he's getting around €875 a month after mortgage? i think it'd be pretty hard to pay for college fees/accommodation (they could live really far away from a college) for your child while feeding the rest of your family on this wage. and because of the gross wage of the father this teen was probably overlooked for any sort of a grant....the grant system should be means tested...(that's another rant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Before i start, i just want to say that this is my opinion, and should not be taken as a standard view. Everything i say is my opinion, and not representative of any organisation, including AGS. I am potential-monke on here, someone who is not reflecting the organisation as a whole, just someone (hopefully to stay anon) who is giving their opinion, and nothing more.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am curious about some issues you raise:

Can you tell me what full-timer members are doing about rectifying their lack of IT skills? Are they taking typing courses, like other members of the public do, so they are not wasting valuable time trying to 2-finger type when time is so precious on-the-job?

Those who don't want promotion probably aren't doing anything. Those with a few years service left probably aren't doing anything. Those who want promotion probably are taking courses. The more junior the member, the more likely they're already typing savvy, but not everyone, even in the private sector, is tech/typing savvy. It is unfortunate that IT still isn't been taught in primary schools, and it's necessity is still not a must in every job. That is changing, yes, but it's not there yet. AGS, as i stated, only started using a computerised crime system in 1999. The old adage of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind.
    In these techie-times I think it shameful that members can barely type or not know their way around online forums; and online sources where even the youth of today spend their time. How can they understand what the youth of today are going through, if they are not able to follow and understand what is happening online?

You don't need to be tech savvy to understand what youths are going through, and from experience, the majority of the clientele we deal with are not going to the the medium to heavy IT users. As it stands, imo, regular crime and IT don't really go hand in hand. Granted, yes, white collar crime is IT heavy, but those who investigate that have qualifications, be it before or after joining, in order to investigate those matters. It should be obvious that someone with little to no IT skills will be investigating computer crime, or anything that revolves around IT.
    What are full-time members doing to change these matters in their own time? People, outside of the guards, do undertake courses in their spare time to help them, do you are those people who you refer to here, are they doing the same or are just going to continue being in the dark about typing and their lack of online knowledge?

Thanks,

It's the same in AGS, those who want to go into those areas will do the courses. Those who don't have an interest won't, and subsequently won't be offered those positions as they don't have the qualifications required. Part of my dissertation involved me doing a survey of students and members in my station as to the basic IT skills of members. 60% of members could type, but very few were touch typists. That went up to 72% of students then currently in the college. Significantly less could use Outlook, in both categories.

Online crime and computer based crime is, thankfully, fairly low in Ireland at the moment, and the majority of crime is not IT based. This will change, and so will AGS (slowly). Understandably, AGS may be slow to include IT in a more prevalent way. Those with the know how and determination can crack systems easily. It is very sensitive information which can be very damaging in the wrong hands.

Again, this is all just my own opinion. I was lucky enough to have an interest in IT prior to secondary school, and most of what i have is self taught (i knew the majority of the ECDL before completing it in college). ECDL was not a requirement to join, but i believe it now is.

And again, just to clarify, typing is not necessary in the job.

Re: my comment about the jealousy, i only said it as it comes across, to me, as that. People give out about the benefits, allowances, pension, etc, and it just smacks of jealousy to me that those people can't find the same in the private sector. Just like it smacks of jealousy when people (including me) give out about the wages of politicians. Yes, that is a generalisation, but that's what it comes across as to me, and yes, i know i am probably wrong.

I'm just trying to give my opinion, and i'm far from trained in the political ways of responding. I'm just a regular guy, trying to get my side of the story. I will always make mistakes, and i will not always be able to get my points across the ways others do. I can't help that, but i'm trying my best. Ask me to quote law for the majority of the main types of crime, i'll do it near verbatim, but putting feelings and opinions into words that don't offend someone, or are politically correct (i'm using politically, because i can't think of the proper word for what i'm trying to say!) is harder for me.

Sure we'd all be on here complaining if they were offering all Gardai free IT courses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Life is about choices, i survive on a very basic diet but that's down to making the choice to keep my broadband and sky digital. That said, while i have no sympathy for anybody on 65k a year moaning about putting food on the table, i do believe that nurses, doctors and AGS deserve every penny they get. And probably more. They are a credit to their profession.

The whole public v private sector debate always descends into mud-slinging; all i do know is i've a tremendous admiration for the medical profession and AGS. No problem with either of their pay levels, just no need for the 65k a year merchants having a moan. Doesn't help their cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Before i start, i just want to say that this is my opinion, and should not be taken as a standard view. Everything i say is my opinion, and not representative of any organisation, including AGS. I am potential-monke on here, someone who is not reflecting the organisation as a whole, just someone (hopefully to stay anon) who is giving their opinion, and nothing more.

Those who don't want promotion probably aren't doing anything. Those with a few years service left probably aren't doing anything. Those who want promotion probably are taking courses. The more junior the member, the more likely they're already typing savvy, but not everyone, even in the private sector, is tech/typing savvy. It is unfortunate that IT still isn't been taught in primary schools, and it's necessity is still not a must in every job. That is changing, yes, but it's not there yet. AGS, as i stated, only started using a computerised crime system in 1999. The old adage of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" comes to mind.

You don't need to be tech savvy to understand what youths are going through, and from experience, the majority of the clientele we deal with are not going to the the medium to heavy IT users. As it stands, imo, regular crime and IT don't really go hand in hand. Granted, yes, white collar crime is IT heavy, but those who investigate that have qualifications, be it before or after joining, in order to investigate those matters. It should be obvious that someone with little to no IT skills will be investigating computer crime, or anything that revolves around IT.

It's the same in AGS, those who want to go into those areas will do the courses. Those who don't have an interest won't, and subsequently won't be offered those positions as they don't have the qualifications required. Part of my dissertation involved me doing a survey of students and members in my station as to the basic IT skills of members. 60% of members could type, but very few were touch typists. That went up to 72% of students then currently in the college. Significantly less could use Outlook, in both categories.

Online crime and computer based crime is, thankfully, fairly low in Ireland at the moment, and the majority of crime is not IT based. This will change, and so will AGS (slowly). Understandably, AGS may be slow to include IT in a more prevalent way. Those with the know how and determination can crack systems easily. It is very sensitive information which can be very damaging in the wrong hands.

Again, this is all just my own opinion. I was lucky enough to have an interest in IT prior to secondary school, and most of what i have is self taught (i knew the majority of the ECDL before completing it in college). ECDL was not a requirement to join, but i believe it now is.

Re: my comment about the jealousy, i only said it as it comes across, to me, as that. People give out about the benefits, allowances, pension, etc, and it just smacks of jealousy to me that those people can't find the same in the private sector. Just like it smacks of jealousy when people (including me) give out about the wages of politicians. Yes, that is a generalisation, but that's what it comes across as to me, and yes, i know i am probably wrong.

I'm just trying to give my opinion, and i'm far from trained in the political ways of responding. I'm just a regular guy, trying to get my side of the story. I will always make mistakes, and i will not always be able to get my points across the ways others do. I can't help that, but i'm trying my best. Ask me to quote law for the majority of the main types of crime, i'll do it near verbatim, but putting feelings and opinions into words that don't offend someone, or are politically correct (i'm using politically, because i can't think of the proper word for what i'm trying to say!) is harder for me.

I think your post here is one fantastic valid reason for the existence of the Press and Public Relations department within An Garda Síochána.

I think your post here is one fantastic valid reason for the existence of the Press and Public Relations department within An Garda Síochána.

What do you mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Potential-Monke obviously I don't agree with a lot of what you say but I think that you have been incredibly honest and open in all of your posts.I think that you are not afraid to admit to certain weaknesses in An GS such as an inherent conservatism and a lack of forward looking IT skillsets (which is certainly true as I know a guy who was in charge of implementing an IT project for the Gardai and he said that dealing with the Gardai had been the worst project in a 40 year career and that they basically had refused to move from their traditional pen and paper approach).I think such openness is to be welcomed and I think you have done more to get your viewpoint across than all the PR I,ve ever seen spew out of the GRA or the Garda Press Office.

jonsnow wrote: »
    Potential-Monke obviously I don't agree with a lot of what you say but I think that you have been incredibly honest and open in all of your posts.I think that you are not afraid to admit to certain weaknesses in An GS such as an inherent conservatism and a lack of forward looking IT skillsets (which is certainly true as I know a guy who was in charge of implementing an IT project for the Gardai and he said that dealing with the Gardai had been the worst project in a 40 year career and that they basically had refused to move from their traditional pen and paper approach).I think such openness is to be welcomed and I think you have done more to get your viewpoint across than all the PR I,ve ever seen spew out of the GRA or the Garda Press Office.

I actually found PM's post quite refreshing. No point in putting a PR spin on everything and it is good that problems are identified and acknowledged by those in the force. The media have not being doing the Gardai any favours by spinning these stories about people not being able to live on €65,000 while spending €24,000 on school fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I would seriously ask all the haters in here still living with mammy to please STFU and do the maths on this one.

I consider it just borderline to bringing up a family in Ireland with a total gross household income of 65K.

Firstly, because married couples can't be jointly assessed anymore, the net monthly income on 65K would be about €3,200.

Factor in the mortgage payment (€1,400 would be slightly above average for most) then that leaves roughly €1,800 a month spending money.

Off the top of my head that would have to cover:

- ESB
    - Gas
    - Annual school fees (yes, public schools do tap parents for up to €400 a year)
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Household waste charges
    - Household maintenance charges (plumming, electric)
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

...and we're not even in the land of property tax and water rates yet.

Really really really do work this out before opening your gobs.

And private schools cost €24,000
    You do the maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I would seriously ask all the haters in here still living with mammy to please STFU and do the maths on this one.

I reckon you just excluded 91.73% of AH :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,501 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I consider it just borderline to bringing up a family in Ireland with a total gross household income of 65K.

Firstly, because married couples can't be jointly assessed anymore, the net monthly income on 65K would be about €3,200.

Factor in the mortgage payment (€1,400 would be slightly above average for most) then that leaves roughly €1,800 a month spending money.

- ESB
    - Gas
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

What a load of absolute tripe.

I am sorry, are Gardai the only people who have to pay bills?

There is no need for you to list your household budget like it was the ten commandments thank you very much - quite familar with them.

noodler wrote: »
    What a load of absolute tripe.

I am sorry, are Gardai the only people who have to pay bills?

There is no need for you to list your household budget like it was the ten commandments thank you very much - quite familar with them.

Yep, every one else is a hater who lives with their mammy:pac:

I'm beignning to realise why detection rates are so low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I appreciate the comments, and i do honestly believe that we do need some very well versed PR to speak for us. One that is not afraid to tell it how it is, but at the same time keeping stories like the original one in this under the radar. It is hard to tell it how it is in AGS, again quoting myself with the Garda Code and Official Secrets Act being the biggest obstacles we have to overcome when trying to tell our side. One wrong comment could result in an increase in crime in a certain area, reprimand for the member, loss of employment for the member, criminal/civil convictions for the member, or worse yet, decreased public appreciation.

I type my posts, and nearly have to proof read them 2 or 3 times before hitting the post button. AGS have smart techies with them, and can trace someone online to their true identity fairly quickly, when it warrants it. If i end up victim to this, well, AH will be the first to know! ;)

But, back to point, i really do think we need a good PR person, one that not only tells it how it is within the confines of the Code and Act, but one who also puts the positive stories into the main media without over saturating it with pointless positive stories. Stories like the Garda saving the 3 month olds' life will invariably make it into mainstream media anyway, but you rarely hear of the other great things members do - it just doesn't make good media. It'll be a very fine line to thread, and i don't envy who gets the job if the decision is made to get a PR rep.

And i know that my available cash is partly (if not mostly) my fault. If i could go back in time, i would have got less loans and no mortgage, but hindsight is great. Alas, i am where i am, and i will fight for no more cuts, when there are numerous other obvious avenues within AGS to make savings. There are allowances which i believe should be cut, or that are unnecessary, wages of the higher ranks could be reduced to something more in line with the type of work they do (basically, management of numbers is what it boils down to imo), court could be sorted so as not to incur overtime, legal aid should be reduced to 1 payment regardless of number of appearances (savings of millions on it's own, and a highly abused system), less paper and more electronic correspondence, better bargaining on recurring costs (ie: paper, prisoner meals, servicing, outsourced maintenance), bloody energy saving bulbs!!!

If all them, and potentially other actions, were taken and didn't make the savings needed, maybe then i would concede that cuts are necessary, but there is millions in savings in the above few ideas alone. I'm not looking for a raise, i'm just looking for what i currently have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Another sympathetic Garda piece in the Indo missing some details
    Note the difference between 'home' and 'house'
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-had-hundreds-of-sleepless-nights-29992744.html
    John, a detective, who is in his 30s,and his partner, also a public sector worker, bought a house 10 years ago in a Dublin suburb for €250k. In a decision they now regret, they bought their dream house in the West before John's transfer application had been submitted, believing it to be a "bargain". They borrowed €360k and rented out the house while John considered a transfer.
    "It was never meant to be an investment house. It was the family home that we planned to move to," John told the Sunday Independent. "We had no trouble getting finance," he said. "We borrowed from two Garda credit unions for the deposit on the (second) house."
    The West of Ireland property is being sold for €135k. The EBS will pocket the proceeds but John and his partner will still have to shoulder the €200k lump of negative equity debt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Melion wrote: »
    65k a year and can't survive, kindly **** off.

Was just thinking this when I saw the income, and lo and behold you were the very first response! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

John, a detective, who is in his 30s,and his partner, also a public sector worker
    So two frontline people with thirty years of secure employment before them to pay off €200k negative equity, or about two years gross income. Not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

- ESB
    - Gas
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

No TV licence?

I though you were updating to say they had starved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Last week I managed to take in 70 euro for a 50 hour working week. I would love a guaranteed state income .

galwayrush wrote: »
    Last week I managed to take in 70 euro for a 50 hour working week. I would love a guaranteed state income .

Quieten down, you're not as vulnerable as sergeant money bags

2 weeks work will cover your TV licence :p

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    I though you were updating to say they had starved..
    You can still buy cornflakes in he shops..so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

So they buy their first house, and then a second house just in case they decided to move out west and we are expected to be sympathetic? Madness

So they buy their first house, and then a second house just in case they decided to move out west and we are expected to be sympathetic? Madness
    Yes! And you'll be sympathetic and you will like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Joke try liveing on 23,000 sole income, Or those unemployed on 14-15,000 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yip, 12 months on and my sympathy levels are still at zero for these moanbags who expect life presented to them on a platter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hope they are doing ok, we all got a slap, everyone getting less money and more bills,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

You have to be some bit sympathetic. They are doing without a swimming pool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 pressure_valve

galwayrush wrote: »

you don't lay your life on the line everyday of the week so others can live

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Neither do most Gardaí in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

WTF???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoomaway

- ESB
    - Gas
    - School books
    - School uniforms
    - School trips
    - Clothes
    - Food
    - Car Repayments
    - Car Insurance
    - Car Tax
    - Health Insurance
    - GP bills
    - Dentist Bills
    - Birthday presents
    - Christmas presents

You forgot
    - house insurance
    - Car NCT ( If they have old/ older cars)
    - Life insurance policy ( which many people have )
    - Dog licence
    - Property tax

So yes it all adds up.

As someone said to me recently the aim of this government is to part you from your money. So hard for anyone to get by in Ireland now. And no I'm not a guard, just someone who realises that we are paying a hefty price for living here. Thing is not enough people would go out and protest and that is what everyone up and down the country should have been doing. We are far too compliant here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Boarder line on 65K??

I'm on 40k with 3 kids 2 cars and a bike + house and living a decent life.

Difference between me and that Guard is I don't have 2 new cars and an over sized house + god knows how many holidays.

If there so poor sell one of the fancy cars and there's a few hundred a month saved on loans/Finance, fuel, tax, insurance etc.

So many people shouting poverty when there paying well over 1k alone for a new/newish cars, fancy clothes, foreign holidays ect.

They all want the biggest and best but them scream poverty??

Poor on 65k...would they ever feck off!!

Live within your means and you will be fine for god sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

zoomaway wrote: »
    As someone said to me recently the aim of this government is to part you from your money.

Unlike all those other governments that paid you to live here, or at the very worse, didn't tax income.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

They wanted to move to the West of Ireland not the Western Front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Boarder line on 65K??

I'm on 40k with 3 kids 2 cars and a bike + house and living a decent life.

Difference between me and that Guard is I don't have 2 new cars and an over sized house + god knows how many holidays.

If there so poor sell one of the fancy cars and there's a few hundred a month saved on loans/Finance, fuel, tax, insurance etc.

So many people shouting poverty when there paying well over 1k alone for a new/newish cars, fancy clothes, foreign holidays ect.

They all want the biggest and best but them scream poverty??

Poor on 65k...would they ever feck off!!

Live within your means and you will be fine for god sake

Genuine question, how much per month is your mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I'm on over 50k a year. However I have a huge mortgage (on an apartment in Dublin 24 not a flashy house) so by the time I've paid that, ESB, put petrol in my (13 yr old) car and bought food I don't have a massive amount of disposable income. If I had to support a partner and three children on not much more I would find it very difficult. Not all big mortgages are on big flashy houses. Anyone who only got on the property ladder during the boom has an enormous mortgage, even for a modest property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

staker wrote: »
    How much would he have left out of 65k gross? 16800 raw cash gone on the mortgage,surely he has the bones of 20-25k a year to live on!!

I'd be banned for putting here what I've just muttered at the screen.

I only make 25 grand a year to begin with!! I live with my boyfriend and the rent for our small apartment isnt much lower than their mortgage!!. We get by just fine, we are not living lavishly but we are content with what we have. They deserve a slap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'm on over 50k a year. However I have a huge mortgage (on an apartment in Dublin 24 not a flashy house) so by the time I've paid that, ESB, put petrol in my (13 yr old) car and bought food I don't have a massive amount of disposable income. If I had to support a partner and three children on not much more I would find it very difficult. Not all big mortgages are on big flashy houses. Anyone who only got on the property ladder during the boom has an enormous mortgage, even for a modest property.

So how much is your mortgage?, what are you left with after paying that?. How do people survive on the average industrial wage of 35k (and most earn less than that) when others claim poverty on 50 and 65 k pa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Neither do most Gardaí in fairness.

Exactly. 2 gardai have died on duty in the last 15 years, out of a force of 13,000+. There are many more jobs which are far more dangerous, and pay much worse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement