Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At it again- more traveller fighting

Options
  • 14-10-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

***** MOD NOTE ******* 17/10/12

PLEASE NOTE - we are no longer permitted to discuss the specifics of recent incidents which are currently before the courts.

It is absolutely imperative that we do not prejudice any current or future court proceedings.

Any further discussions have to be of a general nature otherwise the thread will be locked.

****************************************************************************

The road from the rowan tree hostel down to the tech in Ennis is blocked off by Gardai.
    Friend of mine was passing and there seemed to be a crash, garda car at the scene was rammed into and a number of known people started attacking each other with slash hooks etc

So inthe last few weeks we have fighting in the courthouse, slashooks in the cathedral and now free for all's where gardai are being attacked
    Where does it end?

Its a joke that the tax payer is keeping these <Mod Snip> people in money so they can carry on with this ****e, i bet if this was the states the cops wouldn't be long fatally shooting one of the attackers and they would be right in doing so.

When is enough going to be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Sorry maybe i should have said, 'these people that are acting like animals'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Threads like this tend to descend into tirade of racism or generalisations or they start discussing ongoing legal cases (Which can't be allowed according to Irish law).

I will leave this thread open but if ANYONE breaches any of the rules or starts making racist comments I will hand out bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I came across this just after it happened, it was the scariest thing! It was like a scene from beirut, the arrests had already being made but there were kids screaming, a guard with a hatchet, it was mayhem...... A van, car and garda car very badly damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Courthouses, Churchs, Schools, hospitals, Main roads/roundabouts. There is no area that is too public for viloence by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

five-arrested-after-incident-ennis

An "incident"?

Surely there must be a more accurate description of what occurred .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ro95

No need to be biased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

JustLen wrote: »
    The road from the rowan tree hostel down to the tech in Ennis is blocked off by Gardai.
    Friend of mine was passing and there seemed to be a crash, garda car at the scene was rammed into and a number of known people started attacking each other with slash hooks etc

So inthe last few weeks we have fighting in the courthouse, slashooks in the cathedral and now free for all's where gardai are being attacked
    Where does it end?

Its a joke that the tax payer is keeping these <Mod Snip> people in money so they can carry on with this ****e, i bet if this was the states the cops wouldn't be long fatally shooting one of the attackers and they would be right in doing so.

When is enough going to be enough?

I wonder if the Armed Response Unit spent a bit of time in Ennis over the next week or so would things calm down? (i.e. give the instigators pause for thought and maybe things would blow over) or would the people involved just wait til the ARU went back to Limerick or Cork and kick it all off again??

Genuine question from someone who's better half was called to deal with this evenings fracas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sawi

Whats wrong with this country and this town of Ennis. I go to work pay my tax"s and put up with
    loads of pressure and stress and than I read and this sort of stuff with my own eye"s. When will the
    authorities DO their job and sort all this ant social stuff out. I have written in a tread about how I had
    to leave a house in Lissaniska because of this antisocial behavior. But we as citizens of this state need
    to stand up to these people and stop giving them money to lie in bed and wreck the house and beds I
    am paying for in my tax"s.. Sorry for rant but I am sick of these people now must go to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I wonder if the Armed Response Unit spent a bit of time in Ennis over the next week or so would things calm down? (i.e. give the instigators pause for thought and maybe things would blow over) or would the people involved just wait til the ARU went back to Limerick or Cork and kick it all off again??

Genuine question from someone who's better half was called to deal with this evenings fracas :(

At this point, it would be be my guess that they would do it in front of the ARU.
    And hovering helicopters. And their own grannies and small children, let alone my granny or small child. They just don't care.

• Advertisement

Have ye not got the memo yet?

THIS IS THUNDERDOME!

:)

But seriously, our County Council gets paid to take in dangerous families being relocated out of some of the worst estates in the country. Those families are then put in houses paid for by the HSE owned by landlords who live in Dublin and could care less what happens because they never have to see or hear about it, they just get a sweet cheque every month from the HSE so they are happy.

We however are the people who are left to have to deal with this.

So like I said, it's becoming more and more like THUNDERDOME here. We have to organise and take back our town because with the politicians on the take and unwilling to help us and the Gards severely out gunned with a lack of resources, which then leads to their total lack of motivation to do anything, there is no justice, there is just us.

http://clare.fm/news/3-injured-and-five-detained-after-ennis-ramming-incident
    Three people including a garda have been hospitalised after a violent incident in Ennis during which a patrol car was rammed.
    Five others were arrested and are being held at Ennis Garda Station .
    This incident happened at around 6.30 last night at the Maid of Erin Roundabout in Clare's County Town.
    Its understood that one vehicle, containing members of the travelling community followed a van and then rammed it and then ploughed into a garda patrol car that came upon the scene.
    The car then allegedly circled the roundabout a number of times colliding with several other vehicles.
    In total three people including a member of the gardaí were injured and all were taken to Limerick Regional hospital for treatment.
    The scene was then sealed off from the Maid of Eirn Roundabout to Club Bridge for a forensic examination.
    During a follow up operation, five people , three men and two women were arrested and are being held for road traffic and public order offences- a number of weapons including a hatchet were also seized.

They should be locked away for life. Using a car as a weapon, ramming people or other cars, in America is considered attempted murder. They will lock you away for 30+ years. That should happen here.

Secondly, they rammed a Garda with the car. Attempted murder of a police officer in America is life, no parole.

Finally, why are they not being charged under the new organised crime laws? These incidents, four in the past week are all related. Under the most recently legislation three or more people working as a group to break laws is considered a crime syndicate and can be charged as such. Why are these people not being prosecuted under the laws that would be used to prosecute anyone else in society who engages in this behaviour?

The ones who fought in the Cathedral should get 10 years each for doing such in a church/on church grounds and then hit with the organised crime laws to keep them in another 10 years. I'm betting if they started handing out some real sentences to these people and there were actual consequences they wouldn't be so quick to you know, hit a Garda with their car trying to kill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭golfball37

Can we not just cut off their dole as a start?

There's nothing racist about saying these people are vermin either btw. The people who bring private dis-agreements into the public domain with violence.

I would lie for a Gard if he got in trouble for beating a few of them. Something really needs to be done in Ireland, society is feral.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It is completely understandable that people are very upset by these recent events but please keep it civil, no more talk about vermin or lying for Gardaí please.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

ro95 wrote: »
    No need to be biased

Yes there is.

They operate as a criminal organisation and should be charged as such. The events which have transpired over the past few days were all directly related. Under Irish Law, three or more people working together to break the law or subvert justice count as organised crime and can be prosecuted under strict new laws as such.

No reason to lie to anyone or label a whole group as a racial slur, just ENFORCE the LAW and treat them like everyone else who breaks the law and the problem will sort itself out.

They continue to spend money on 'moderation' instead of prosecuting and jailing them, and we have seen how 'effective' this is sure. Machete fights in schools, churches, and people ramming cars filled with innocent motorists and their families.

Take off the kid gloves, the time for softly-softly is over. Enforce the law like they would for anyone else in society who engages in such behaviour. I mean, if I knocked down a Gard with my car while trying to kill someone else with my car I don't think the government would be bringing in a 'moderator' to talk things out and then send me on my merry way.

CptSternn wrote: »
    But seriously, our County Council gets paid to take in dangerous families being relocated out of some of the worst estates in the country. Those families are then put in houses paid for by the HSE owned by landlords who live in Dublin and could care less what happens because they never have to see or hear about it, they just get a sweet cheque every month from the HSE so they are happy.

None of the families involved in last nights incident were relocated to Clare
    They are all locals living here for generations
    They should be locked away for life. Using a car as a weapon, ramming people or other cars, in America is considered attempted murder. They will lock you away for 30+ years. That should happen here.

Secondly, they rammed a Garda with the car. Attempted murder of a police officer in America is life, no parole.

Finally, why are they not being charged under the new organised crime laws? These incidents, four in the past week are all related. Under the most recently legislation three or more people working as a group to break laws is considered a crime syndicate and can be charged as such. Why are these people not being prosecuted under the laws that would be used to prosecute anyone else in society who engages in this behaviour?
    The 3 incidents in the last week are related to a family feud between 2 families I don't think to be fair it would fall under the remit of Organised Crime

You are right though, they should face, and possibly will face more serious charges than road traffic offenses or breaches of the peace
    I would imagine at the moment they will be arrest under holding charges and more serious charges will be brought before it reaches court

golfball37 wrote: »
    Can we not just cut off their dole as a start?

There's nothing racist about saying these people are vermin either btw. The people who bring private dis-agreements into the public domain with violence.

I would lie for a Gard if he got in trouble for beating a few of them. Something really needs to be done in Ireland, society is feral.

I don't think legislation exists whereby their dole can be touched :(
    And the gardai don't need people lying for them there were independent witnesses not to mention Garda witnesses to last night's incident

And no one here would condone a Garda "beating a few of them" and no Garda would do it anyway the come back from the public, the ombudsman and most importantly the "victim's" family would not be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Hopefully Martin Collins and the people are Pavee Point will come out and condemn what has happened in the strongest possible terms.
    Legislation and prisons need to get a lot tougher for these people. I'm talking hard labour, 7 days a week. And 10 years is 10 years, no time off. No XBoxs, no frills - just hard time with the option to educate themselves while they are there. Pandering to left-wing do-gooders has lead to this sorry state. They have the same problem in Limerick City and its getting worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

I wonder what the do-gooders and the bleeding hearts who have supported and stood up for Travellers down through the years have to say about the latest outbreak of savagery. I would love to hear what they have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Clareboy wrote: »
    I wonder what the do-gooders and the bleeding hearts who have supported and stood up for Travellers down through the years have to say about the latest outbreak of savagery. I would love to hear what they have to say.

To be fair I don't think anyone condones this sort of behaviour.

How many innocent bystanders and their families had their cars wrecked during this debacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Garda car rammed in Travellers' battle
    VIOLENT: Five quizzed after drunk driver launches attack
    http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-car-rammed-in-travellers-battle-3259209.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

How many innocent bystanders and their families had their cars wrecked during this debacle?

When I arrived the cars were still there including the Garda car that had obviously been hit hard from behind. There were at least 4 other Garda cars on the scene that did not appear damaged.

I was thinking I could've easily have been in the middle of this nasty debacle if I left work a little earlier. Scary thought!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

all "isolated incidents" of course........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

kstand wrote: »
    Hopefully Martin Collins and the people are Pavee Point will come out and condemn what has happened in the strongest possible terms.
    Legislation and prisons need to get a lot tougher for these people. I'm talking hard labour, 7 days a week. And 10 years is 10 years, no time off. No XBoxs, no frills - just hard time with the option to educate themselves while they are there. Pandering to left-wing do-gooders has lead to this sorry state. They have the same problem in Limerick City and its getting worse.
    I doubt Pavee point will put itself out there, least of all out of a sense of loyalty first and foremost to its own. I note their press release where they condemned the sulky race on the main Cork-Limerick road was more concerned about injuries to Travellers, animals, then the settled community, in that order "Pavee Point is concerned that all the participants involved in the event filmed placed themselves, their animals and other road users in danger".
    Speaks volumes. If your actions will endanger you life, I really don't care, but under no circumstances place ANYONE else in danger.
    While I'm at it, maybe it's time to pull funding from this QUANGO.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Palmach wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think anyone condones this sort of behaviour.

The results speak for themselves this behaviour is being condoned in the actions / reactions to all the previous incidents.

When the Gardai do their job have all the evidence and the judge imposes a suspended sentence:mad:

I don't care who you are or what you're background is there is NO EXCUSE for this type of behaviour. IT SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!

The only way to combat this type of behaviour is to have serious consequences. When it gets to the point that you cannot safely go to Church, the Bank, Barber, school or drive your car on a main road I'm sorry but enough is enough - Until there are serious sanctions and examples made this is just going to get worse.

The law abiding people of this town deserve far better:(

Apparently, and i didn't hear it myself but Pavee Point had someone on Clare FM yesterday saying that "society was gone this way" he was blaming the recession!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

You'd think they'd move one of these families. It's going to cost a fortune to police the situation and it's going to go from bad to worse even with multiple arrests.

At least now they've done something that directly impacted Gardai we might see some proper sentences carried out. Of course you'd think the incidents in and around primary schools were serious enough but nothing seems to have come of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It is completely understandable that people are very upset by these recent events but please keep it civil, no more talk about vermin or lying for Gardaí please.

But these people are vermin,what else would you call them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement