Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammers on Donedeal

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

OP what a great post has me in stitches that piece about the guinea pig locked in the tractor pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

You should have sent him a package with a photograph of you holding an iphone and a guinea pig. Registered of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

me:
    One the guinea pigs ran into the cabin of the tractor and accidentally locked the doors by jumping against the windows in a panic. Once I talk him through it il drive down with the package.

I lol'd, especially at this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Mr MG wrote: »
    That is so funny, I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me last week! I did play along with : Collins Olaiya
    : Plot 10, Elere Area Apata
    : Ibadan
    : Oyo state
    : 23402
    : Nigeria
    but It was no way as funny as yours.. they also went by the name Katie Reecce< and the next day Katie Reace!! (as an email address)
    I was hoping that this Collins Olaiya "might" be a real name or at least the address so I forwarded it to the local police station around that address notifying them of this scam...anyway, thanks for the laugh and good look with the guinea pigs!!

Fair play, I was wondering if I should have forwarded it on to the local Police Station alrite. I have a sneaky suspicion that they may overlook this sort of thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

I've messed with quite a few of these scammers from Nigeria

They scam gullible people, but the reality is they are also very gullible themselves.

One was claiming to be a who wants to be a millionaire show and you had to pay a $100 fee to enter. I told him my name was Homer Simpson and that I would be bringing some of my other friends from the Simpsons with me and he still went along with it. No suprise though, it was also a $100 fee for my friends to be in the audience :rolleyes:

Another one was a dating scam, I find these ones the best to mess with. I don't remember the full conversations but they all seem to ''love you'' very fast. The whole time I knew it was a scam and was going along with it until it got to the point where I knew they would ask for money. They were saying they needed money to pay for a passport and come visit me. So I said that I had went to the embassy and had paid for the passport already and that all they had to do was go there and show there ID. They kept saying that wouldn't work and got angry.

Have had a few other fun ones as well.

Anyone that asks you to send money VIA Western Union is more than likely a scammer. Most of them are fake with fake pics and names, but I also think I've came across a couple real ones, or somewhat real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

LOL, that was good laugh now, thanks for the share.
    I wonder if anyone actually falls for the false paypal thing. I mean, most people I know who are new to paypal know others who've used it before and would ask them about it, anyone else would know you can see it on your paypal account straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

There's a really clever/ sinister scam that can happen if you leave your facebook logged in in an internet café or whatever, usually when abroad (can happen, often the internet screen goes down when the money's gone, but you aren't logged out)

Anyway, the scammer sees your facebook open and starts contacting your mates on fb chat saying youve been robbed or lost your wallet, and can they please send you some money via western union asap.

this is the really rare type of scam which i could see a lot of people falling for via facebook. but i really can't imagine who is going to fall for scammers like the OP, or the Prince of Nigeria who want to lodge millions of US dollars into your AIB student account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

So some fella tried to scam me on Donedeal.ie. I put up an advert for an iPhone 4S just over a week ago. After just an hour of putting it up, some fella tried to scam me by sending me a spoof payment email from Paypal. After saying to him that I would contact the Donedeal staff and authorities, I had yet another scammer contact me. I decided to play along with this one. Il attach the emails to "warn" the rest of you if you are selling something online. If you need his proper address or details il attach it. Its worth knowing that paypal never use an escrow service, and even if you get an email off "paypal" informing of payment, its worth logging into the paypal to confirm payment first.

Me:
    Hi, In relation to the donedeal ad,
    I am asking for 330e for the iPhone 4S. Sure make us an offer and I will consider it.
    Regards,

Huston Kelly:
    Thanks for your response..I would be glad to get you 400 paid including the shipping cost abroad..So i will want you to get the item off from the listing and get back to me with the paypal id you want the funds to be transferred to. Also,the item is needed as an urgent demand..i wait to read from you ASAP

Alarm bells here: why would they give 400 quid instead of 340…

me:
    Hi Huston, I will post the item as soon as the costs have cleared from paypal. My paypal address is s**********m@gmail.com. What is your shipping address?

Huston Kelly:
    I would like to inform you that the payment has been made and the
    money has been deducted from my account.But for security reason,they
    have to receive the shipment information to remit the funds into your
    account.So i will want you to get the item packed right now and get it
    posted to the confirmed paypal address..here below is the confirmed
    address the item would be mailed to

Name: Adeyemi O*****n
    Address: no.*,zone *,aba alamu,apata,
    City:Ibadan,
    Zip code: 2***2
    Tel ; +2348072733268

Shipment should be done viaexpress mail..so kindly get back to me with
    the paypal id you want the funds to be transferred to..i wait to read
    from you ASAP

At this stage I got a real looking spoof paypal email off "service@paypal.com. customercentreunit@emailaccount.com" saying that I would get 400e into my account as soon as I gave them proof of postage. Im definite its a scam at this stage....

me:
    Thanks Huston, I received the mulah. I will post it asap.

Huston Kelly:
    Ok...I will want you to kindly get the item shipped first thing in the
    morning..Thanks for the business

me:
    Yea, no bov bruv.

Huston Kelly:
    Also,i will want you to get the item off now from the donedeal listing

me:
    Yea, im right on top of it champ.

Huston Kelly:
    hello,just need to confirm if you've got the item shipped...

me:
    Hi Huston,
    My apologies, but I was too busy this morning on a guinea pig farm to post the iPhone 4S. I work part-time as a guinea pig sexer, separating them into boars & sows to stop them breeding. This is my busiest season as it is very important that we do this now or else the newly born pups can struggle to survive in the deep winter snows out on the glens. Although I very much value your custom, I hope that you understand that I must put the lives of our pre-conceived livestock first.

That said, I should be able to get someone skilled enough to cover for me while I drive the Zeter down to the post office tomorrow. Do you mind me asking what you work at yourself? Also, what is your address again? -I accidentally set fire to it when I printed it off onto a postage label yesterday.

Huston Kelly:
    Ok...no problem...kindly just make sure the item is been shipped out
    not later than tomorrow as it is needed urgently..here below is the
    confirmedaddress the item would be mailed to

Huston Kelly:
    Hello,just need to confirm if you've got the item shipped...if i not,i
    urge you to kindly get the shipment done not later than today and get
    back to me with the shipment details.I wait to read from you ASAP

At this stage I sold the phone to a proper donedeale.ie buyer

me:
    Howya Huston!
    I packaged up the iPhone with the headphones and all the original accessories loaded it up in the tractor for the spin down to the post officer. However, down in the office I embarrassed myself in front of Bridie the postal worker because I didn't know what to write on the box. Your name is Huston Kelly, right? When i looked at the printed off emails, the address I had was:

Tel ; +2348072733268

However, your name is Huston Kelly, right? Do you want me to send the package to the following address?

Huston Kelly

Tel ; +2348072*****68

I got all confuddled and I had to ask Bridie who works from the post office but she just laughed said she didnt know ya. After further embarrassing myself by accidentally writing the end of your very long address on the desk below the letter, I decided to call a halt, head back home and contact you instead.

So could you please confirm that I have the correct address? Here, are you any relation to the Kellys from Moylough? I used to play camogie with John-joe Kelly when I was younger. Just the two of us in a field with his springer spaniel in goals. We used to tell everyone it was hurling so that the fellow villagers wouldn't talk about us. Would it be handier for me to give the phone to him and for you to pick it up off him when you are over again?

Also, will you mostly be using the phone abroad? Im asking because im worried that you might not realise that this phone is locked to Vodafone Ireland. Im not sure if the Irish wireless phone signal will go as far as ya, but that said, we sometimes get the english tv channels down here in the republic when we have fine weather, so you might get lucky. On Saturday nights we gather around to get a great laugh watching the funny baldy irish lad interviewing folks on Channel 4.

I took down the advert for ya on DoneDeal.ie. Are ya hoping to have the iPhone on time for Santy?

Huston Kelly:
    I don't what really is going on regarding the shipment that is yet to
    be done..i get so worried to hear back again that the phone hasn't
    been shipped.i gave you the correct address which was also confirmed
    by paypal to get the item shipped to...The name on the shipping
    Address is Adeyemi Olalekan and not Huston Kelly...Here below again is
    the confirmed name and address you are to get the item shipped to..

i need you to make sure the item is shipped out today or latest by
    tomorrow morning as it is needed as an urgent demand

me:
    I dont know whats going either Huston. Do you not want me to post it to you or do you want me to post it to Adeyemi O*****n?

Huston Kelly:
    Good morning..I will want you to get the item posted to Adeyemi
    O*****n...Please kindly get that done first thing in the morning and
    i would really appreciate it alot if you could get the item shipped
    out not laterv than today.So Adeyemi O****n is the name the item
    will be posted to and not Huston Kelly

me:
    Morning schan,
    Thats not a bother, Il do that so when im gone through this batch of guinea pigs. You do know your own name is Huston Kelly though, right?. Just a heads up, I followed your request and got the donedeal.ie iPhone advert taken down yesterday. However, I still got a message of a different lad from Nigeria this morning looking to buy it. I reckon he must know you. He must have known that you are on the lookout for an iPhone and is trying to surprise you with one as a present for Christmas. I didn't want to disappoint him myself so I said that I would tell you first. If you dont know who he is, I reckon the handiest thing to do is to tell them in the post office that you are waiting on an iPhone 4S from Ireland and word will soon spread.

me:
    Hi Huston,
    Im just about to head down to the post office now after my sandwich. Are you sure that the address you gave me in the last email is correct? It seems awful short:

Adeyemi O*******n

Are you well known or something? Would it not be better if I had it sent to:

Il head back to work and when I get a response off ya il drive down to Bridie in the post office.

Huston Kelly:
    Hello,
    Yes that's the correct address to ship the Iphone, here is it once again below:

And make sure it is shipped via Registered through post office. I awaits for the tracking number. Cheers.

Huston Kelly:
    State:Oyo

I forgot to put the State's name in my last email. Its correct now.

me:
    No bother Huston, I think I have your address sorted in my head now. One the guinea pigs ran into the cabin of the tractor and accidentally locked the doors by jumping against the windows in a panic. Once I talk him through it il drive down with the package.

Over and out.

Huston Kelly:
    Ok. Am waiting. Cheers.

Me (unfortunately I was flat out with work, and didnt get a chance to respond until a week later):
    Mr Huston,
    First off, sorry for the late reply. Last Friday, after going hoarse from roarin' and nearly running out of paper and magic markers, I finally got the guinea-pig to figure out how to unlock the doors of the tractor. Unfortunately it was getting dark at this stage and had to leave going down to the post office. We have no work on mondays (we dont like to handle the animals after the weekend due to their sore heads) so it would be a handy day for going down to the post office. However, due to the new recessionary cutbacks by the government, its only open now from Wednesdays 8.45am to 9.12am, all day Thursdays, and on Friday from 3.49pm until 7.00pm when the local hurling team arent playing.
    I will motor down to the post office later on today.
    Sorry now for all this hassle. To try and make up for it, Il put a good charge into the iPhone before I put it back into its box in case you have different electricity from us. You must be dying to play Angry Birds at this stage, and God knows how much I hate them laughing pigs myself. Il send you an email after I have it posted this afternoon.

I am waiting on his reply since :(

This thread made my day .i love it.im going to have to print it off and show the girls.your a gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pipzeus

I found this very funny! Well done- it's very well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cassiedog

Oh thank you so much!!! I have just cried with laughter!!!! I have been searching for info on scams on done deal as I put up some furniture for sale only yesterday and have a man wanting to buy it, he says he is a Marine Engineer and therefore can't view it but is happy to pay me through paypal and to send a shipping agent to me - it all just seems a bit odd!!! Any ideas x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cassiedog wrote: »
    Oh thank you so much!!! I have just cried with laughter!!!! I have been searching for info on scams on done deal as I put up some furniture for sale only yesterday and have a man wanting to buy it, he says he is a Marine Engineer and therefore can't view it but is happy to pay me through paypal and to send a shipping agent to me - it all just seems a bit odd!!! Any ideas x

I found this info online just replace car with furniture, they do not care what you are selling.
    The criminal would send you an email pretending to be from PayPal - which in reality is an email address that he made up to look like a PayPal address. The fake email would claim that PayPal is holding a considerable amount (much higher than the price for the car) of money "in escrow" - actually, PayPal does not offer an escrow service.
    The scammer would tell you to send the excess amount to his "shipping agent" via Western Union or MoneyGram. And as soon as he has received the car and likes it, "PayPal will credit the payment to your account".

Of course, you would never see any shipping agent; the scammer is not interested in your car, only in the money you would send to his other identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Check out this website for email wind-ups. After reading one the first time, I was glued to the archive.

http://www.dontevenreply.com/index.php

I like this one best.

http://www.dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=90

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I just wasted 20 minutes on that site...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Holy sh*t! :p This is cheered me up loads. Im pretty sure I am after getting scammed out of an old motorola I "sold" on donedeal, but this has brought a smile to me face :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Great post OP. I put an iPad up on donedeal a week ago and I had these Nigerian characters contacting me, with the same MO.

I wish I played along with them now. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tullahinell

Just had a great laugh reading this, hilarious.

Advertisement