Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet shopping versus the high street.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you are cutting your own throat and exporting jobs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

I buy online as I can't always get the **** I want in Irish shops.
    Kinky ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "will you do my homework for me" thread.

Oh so that's how that's supposed to be used. Kudos Fr.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I went internet shopping on the high street once and got one of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

kneemos wrote: »
    What are peoples opinions on the effect of internet shopping on the high street.

Why would somebody go over to Britain to do their shopping when the internet is much cheaper and faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seanchai wrote: »
    Why would somebody go over to Britain to do their shopping when the internet is much cheaper and faster?

The term 'High Street' is also widely used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 joncon45

corktina wrote: »
    you are cutting your own throat and exporting jobs....
    And too be honest it gives me immense pleasure!After all this corrupt country has cut all our throats...I owe no allegiance to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

LordSutch wrote: »

This is a recent occurrence though. We've used 'Main Street' for years both in Dublin and outside. I find the term 'High Street' in regard to Irish shopping nauseating; I don't know why Irish people feel the need to parrot what goes on across the water. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

What are peoples opinions on the effect of internet shopping on the high street.
    quite bad? Judging by the amount of shops closing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

No, it's not - although as usual your "British Isles" unionist self would really like to believe that Ireland is just England/Britain with a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Lived in Dublin all my life and have used high street and main street as interchangeable terms. Also thats not what this thread is about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Frankly I couldn't care less OP. I lost all faith in human civilization, economics, markets etc. years ago. Sure, I care if things get "bad" for me, that doesn't mean I have to care or have any interest in what does go on. To me there is just no meaning to it, no principles and no logic. Any relation I had with the idea of anything in these markets being legitimate is gone long ago.

If watching earthworms put to race each other affected your life would you get really interested in it and analyze it etc.? I wouldn't, I couldn't care less. It's not like there's anything I could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't mind paying a bit more in a shop for the convenience of getting something quickly, and I can still be surprised sometimes. For example, about 18 months ago I looked at laptops on the PC World website, saw one that I might like at an OK price, and went in to the shop to take a look. When I got there, I found they had a better version of the laptop for less than the website said, so I jumped on it and haven't regretted it since.

What I do object to is some of the insane markups on things that don't deserve it, or the failure to notice that things have gotten cheaper. You can't get away with selling last year's technology for last year's full price any more. I don't care what you paid for it last year, and I don't care what it costs to rent a store front on the high street: those are your problems, not mine. Peats was a prime example of such a lack of competitiveness.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

I used to drive to town every Saturday to do a food shop. 20 minutes in, 20 minutes looking for a parking space, half an hour or more shopping , packing bags, taking them to the car, driving home again, unpacking etc. Half the feckin day wasted just get food.

Since Tesco started home deliveries, I haven't been in a supermarket in over two years. 10 minutes on the internet, shopping delivered to your door the next evening.

Having said that, I still like to potter around the good food shops for meat, chocolates, wines, breads etc.

I'd say I do about 50/50 online / shops for most things.

I need to do my own food shopping, to make I get the freshest bread, milk, whatever. I don't trust them to do this. But then, I suppose if the food deliveries were crap, people would stop getting them so they must be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

No it's not.

No, it's not - although as usual your "British Isles" unionist self would really like to believe that Ireland is just England/Britain with a different name.
    Seriously? I know this is AH, but with such a weighty chip on your shoulder, I'll be amazed if you can walk in a straight line, even when sober.

It's not just a "British Isles" phrase, it's used in other European countries too - just not in English. In the Netherlands, "de Hoogstraat" means exactly the same thing. In Cologne, in Germany, their equivalent of Grafton Street is called "Hohe Straße" - literally, "high street". I could Google many more examples.

So, when the OP said "high street", everyone here knew exactly what he meant straight away. The phrase has done its job - communication of a concept - perfectly.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The high street is dead, all that seems to be on it now are phone shops and fast food resturants.:(
    Whilst outside every town lies shopping centres filled with english chain stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

We do all our shopping on the internet, the milk is crap btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

bnt wrote: »
    Seriously? I know this is AH, but with such a weighty chip on your shoulder, I'll be amazed if you can walk in a straight line, even when sober.

Don't talk about people with a "chip on your shoulder", or "amazed if you can walk in a straight line".

I have no side at all in that argument, but it seems to me like he was trying to have a legitimate discussion and you started to personalize it and attack his character. He was talking about the discussion, you were making comments about him personally saying "oh you must be this", "obviously you're that", you have no idea about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Don't talk about people with a "chip on your shoulder", or "amazed if you can walk in a straight line".

I have no side at all in that argument, but it seems to me like he was trying to have a legitimate discussion and you started to personalize it and attack his character. He was talking about the discussion, you were making comments about him personally saying "oh you must be this", "obviously you're that", you have no idea about him.

What you're saying is totally plausible, however in this case that guy really does have a large bag of oven chips attached to his shoulders.

I have no side at all in that argument, but it seems to me like he was trying to have a legitimate discussion and you started to personalize it and attack his character.
    So, you missed the bit where he accused another poster of being a ' "British Isles" unionist ' then? If that's "legitimate discussion", then I think I missed a meeting somewhere. It was also totally off-topic, so congratulations to all of you, haters of anything vaguely "British"-sounding, for derailing yet another AH thread. Are you sure your keyboards are set up correctly? Looks to me like you're typing in "English", after all ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

No it's not.

In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street". I would have assumed that was an Americanism. And a quick look on Google shows High Streets in Dublin, Cork City and Galway City, but Main Street is only in Cork (there is a Main Street in Dublin but not in the city centre).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dpe wrote: »
    In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street". I would have assumed that was an Americanism. And a quick look on Google shows High Streets in Dublin, Cork City and Galway City, but Main Street is only in Cork (there is a Main Street in Dublin but not in the city centre).

It can be used as a generic term for a towns shopping areas I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

It can be used as a generic term for a towns shopping areas I would have thought.

I'm sure it could, but certain people seem to be contending that "High Street" = "evil Brit cultural Imperialism, man the barricades, 800 years, Fields of Athenry etc.", and Main Street is the proper "Irish" term. Which is bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We get our weekly shop on Tesco online, about a fiver for delivery.
    Better than the missus trying to haul 3 kids under 5 into town during the week, paying for petrol & finding parking.
    Never had any problem with the quality of hand picked stuff.
    It's a bloody marvelous service & I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Online shopping just removes all the hassle.
    Last week I need 2 seatbelt extenders for the kids booster seats & a UHF ariel for Saorview.
    Amazon & tvtrade.ie hooked me up far cheaper than Halfords & Expert electrical could have, over 50% saving in fact.
    The previous week I needed a replacement lamp from Ikea that was going to cost €35 with their mad delivery, got it on ebay through an Ikea reseller for the same price but only €5 delivery.
    Everything arrived within 3 days & was exactly what I ordered.
    High Street sellers don't have have to fight for 99.9% customer satisfaction ratings & it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to parrot what goes on across the water. Weird.

He says as he types in English :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to parrot what goes on across the water. Weird.

Like having sex before marriage and eating something other than potatoes? Bejaysus that's not us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Nonsense:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html?rm=listresults&keywords=%22high%20street%22&filter=dateasc
    http://www.independent.ie/search/?q=%22high+street%22

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Traditionally 'High St' refers to either a the main street of a town or the main shopping street of an area that used to be a town or village but is now a suburb of a large city. So Rathmines Rd and O'Connell St in Ennis would be high streets whereas O'Connell St in Dublin would be considered an elevation above that as in the past a main city street would have been filled with large department stores and the flagship stores of national chains.

Advertisement