Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet shopping versus the high street.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

krudler wrote: »
    What are YOUR opinions on it?

one of the worst rules ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    We get our weekly shop on Tesco online, about a fiver for delivery.
    Better than the missus trying to haul 3 kids under 5 into town during the week, paying for petrol & finding parking.
    Never had any problem with the quality of hand picked stuff.
    It's a bloody marvelous service & I'm surprised it's not more popular.

That Tesco online shop is an appealing idea alright, but is there a delivery charge, and if so how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

iguana wrote: »
    Traditionally 'High St' refers to either a the main street of a town or the main shopping street of an area that used to be a town or village but is now a suburb of a large city. So Rathmines Rd and O'Connell St in Ennis would be high streets whereas O'Connell St in Dublin would be considered an elevation above that as in the past a main city street would have been filled with large department stores and the flagship stores of national chains.

I've also heard news reports where they would say high st sales were up,for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

LordSutch wrote: »
    That Tesco online shop is an appealing idea alright, but is there a delivery charge, and if so how much?

From memory it costs somewhere between €5 to €8 depending on which delivery slot you choose.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/

If it was €20 I'd still pay it for the convenience.
    They even carry it into your house & put it on the kitchen table for you.
    If you're nice like me you could help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

The Tesco site is OK, and better than SuperValu (not great), SuperQuinn (not great) and Dunnes (non-existent), but unfortunately it does feel like a slightly brain-damaged version of the UK site from a functionality perspective, and there are still quite a lot of issues with stock and substitutions. Its a common problem with a lot of .ie sites, the level of investment isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We live in an age where for 80c you can have magic beans delivered to your door

http://www2.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/5-pcs-magic-bean-seeds-gift-plant-growing-message-word-product-5206.html

For stuff that doesn't usually need repairing , doesn't come in different sizes and colours and arrives in a shrink wrapped box it really doesn't matter where you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

dpe wrote: »
    In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street".

I lived in Dublin from 2002 to 2010 and never really heard it used. 'Main Street' is more a small town thing, but 'high street' doesn't replace it in Dublin.

Main Street isn't an Americanism, there are Main Streets in towns up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I need to do my own food shopping, to make I get the freshest bread, milk, whatever. I don't trust them to do this. But then, I suppose if the food deliveries were crap, people would stop getting them so they must be ok.

They're fine. I was given short dated milk once, but I gave it back to the delivery guy. It's a huge time saver for me & between petrol and parking charges, it actually saves me money as well as time.

Advertisement