Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from 00 number

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

got three in the last two days - I am not answering as I am not near end of contract and do not want to but any extra stuff off them. 00 looks very dodgey

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DarkPheonix

I got one this morning and I answered it and it was as if I was calling someone. This happened to me about a year ago and I let it ring out and some girl answered going mad at me because I kept on calling her!! It was really confusing. Is it definitely Meteor doing this? Very strange and useless marketing idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Same here - call from "00" - meteor apparently. Asking if I'm happy with the service. I complained to them a couple of years ago about poor phone coverage in our area and told him this is still the case. He asked for my pin, I said I don't know for sure who you are so won't give it. Ironic they ask you for proof of identity when calling from a number "00". I told him I was busy, and irony of ironies got cut off because of poor coverage here. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

MOTM wrote: »
    Same here - call from "00" - meteor apparently. Asking if I'm happy with the service. I complained to them a couple of years ago about poor phone coverage in our area and told him this is still the case. He asked for my pin, I said I don't know for sure who you are so won't give it. Ironic they ask you for proof of identity when calling from a number "00". I told him I was busy, and irony of ironies got cut off because of poor coverage here. I rest my case.

Change network. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

meteor be crazy, got 4 of these calls today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tee_91

This number just called me a few mins ago about 9pm. Didn't answer because it seemed to be an odd number and funny time of night for it. Also im meteor pay as you go

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

I got a call around 18.45. I wrote to someone from meteor live chat and they said its a scam and traced to the US and they ask for your details. My boyfriend got a call from the same number twenty mins before me and they offered him discounts on his current prepay plan. And he didn't give any details to them. He also recieved a confirmation text of his new plan...

So I don't know what to believe. I'm going to write to meteor on twitter and see what they say..... i want discounts! If its not a scam of course:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

If it's not a scam it still sounds like Spam.

If it's something important they want they better send an email, I won't be answering calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

This was on Rte this morning

Communications Regulator is warning consumers to be careful about returning apparent missed calls on their mobile phones.
    The warning comes in the wake of a phone scam which emerged over the weekend that targeted thousands of Irish mobile phone users.
    They received missed calls which appeared to be from an 086 number - but when they returned the call, they were connected to a premium rate service that appears to be based in Slovenia.
    It appears that only 087 numbers were targeted. 
    There have been reports that the number redirects to a premium sex line.
    Anyone who believes they have fallen victim is advised to contact their phone provider to see what, if any, charges they have incurred.
    Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Retail and Consumer Services Director at ComReg Barbara Delaney said phoning the number could be costly.
    "The reason it's a missed call is because it's not long enough to answer, so it's purposely missed.
    "It appears on your phone with the missed number beginning with +386 so people think it's an Irish number and are then inclined to call it back... that's where the charge would apply," she said.
    "We would urge people to be vigilant in this respect for two reasons.
    "Firstly because you may get it at a time when you might not be expecting a call and secondly because of the digits it commences with you may be caught off guard and think it is an Irish mobile number.
    "So we would urge consumers not to call back numbers that they don't know where it came from."

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Just got one of these calls in the last tens mins! Same thing as everyone else; I answered and heard hold music and then a dial tone so hung up straight away!

• Advertisement

The 00 should be changed so that 'Meteor' comes up instead to settle the confusion I think..

Meteor twitter folk say the 00 number is safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Getting this today myself; I'm fed up with Meteor, they spam marketing texts and totally ignore 'opt-outs' (and somehow the network bugs, sending the same message to my phone 20+ times throughout the entire day), been getting the Slovenian calls, and now this crap from Meteor themselves, on a '00' phone number which looks even more suspicious than getting calls from the Slovenian one.

I don't know what the logic is meant to be behind all this; they must be desperately looking for money through spamming marketing messages/calls (with ComReg only giving them 'cost of doing business' fines), despite the fact that they are likely going to hemorrhage customers as a result of that; they'd hardly want to deliberately push away customers so I can't think of why else they'd be doing this.

Going to switch to O2 shortly in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 I IZ A TALIBAN

Got a call of this number just 2 minutes ago! I am a meteor customer, as it's a strange number I rejected the call then got a message from meteor call catcher saying I missed a call from +04307000.

Got a call of this number just 2 minutes ago! I am a meteor customer, as it's a strange number I rejected the call then got a message from meteor call catcher saying I missed a call from +04307000.

Thats odd that a different number came up...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

0851454154 got a call from this number. missed call at 115am. They left a message of a woman screaming and a man shouting at her hurting her it seems. The call was to my fiances phone. Neither of us can sleep as it was absolutely frightening. She is freaking out, as am I now. we informed the Gards but if this is a scam or sick prank that has also happened to you, please reply. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Just got a call there now from 00!

Meteor bill pay

Is it a scam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Just got a call there now from 00!

Meteor bill pay

Is it a scam?

Yes. There's a few threads on the meteor forums on it. They want to "confirm your name and PIN" for data protection purposes. Meteor clearly say they won't do that. I've had a few of those calls as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Just had it myself. as soon as I heard the music I hung up.

Of course what did I do straight away, Google it and ended up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I ended up being costed credit for answering this number, Grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my wife and i have both had 2 calls today from this number (meteor billpay, but 086 no. for us both as we moved from 02 a few years ago).

so now we (apparently) have meteor saying it's legit and others (inc. apparently meteor now) saying it's not.

if it's dodgy, then surely meteor can block it permanently and if it's not, then surely they need to contact their sales/marketing dept. or whatever and tell them to stop acting like a bunch of fcukwits and making people think it IS a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lukeian5

I had the same call today from 00, when I answered, It was like I was ringing someone so I hung up. I then rang customer care to see what the craic was & they said it wasn't them, it's not a scam, but it was someone ringing from a computer, maybe skype or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pinkbublegirl

I am after getting 8 missed calls from this 00 number today, 4 yesterday. I haven't answered any of them and cancelled a few. I am getting so sick of this! Surely it's a scam but they're not giving up easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Got 1 call today did not answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've been in contact with the data protection commissioner and apparently meteor told them they had ceased making these calls in January 2013, so I would encourage anyone who is still getting them to email their complaint to the DPC at info @ dataprotection dot ie giving them details of exactly when you received the calls.

aside from them hassling me, my main concern is that they are calling customers from an essentially unknown/illegitimate number and then requesting the person they have called to give out their mymeteor PIN to this stranger to verify their identity, which basically reeks of your typical phishing scam and even if it is legitimate, it's encouraging bad behavior encouraging customers to give out their PIN to an unknown entity who then has their mobile number and 4 digit PIN, which is the only thing protecting their online account on mymeteor.ie, giving them full access to all the account and billing information for that customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The Data Protection Commissioner is a joke really, they don't throw out anything other than 'cost of doing business' fines, which don't do anything to undo the gains from breaching regulations.

Meteor flout both this marketing crap, and spamming marketing texts that you can't unsubscribe from (they give an unsubscription number, but which does nothing).

This is only a small taste of the crap they pull as well, as Eircom (who own Meteor) were (not sure if still are) in the habit of putting €100+ disconnection clauses in their line rental contracts, if you exit within six months or so; so if you want to setup with an ISP other than Eircom, but need a line (already existing and connected) turned on to do it, you need to get line rental and switch over to the other ISP (standard practice), and they slap you with the €100 early disconnect.

ComReg do fúck all about stuff like this as well, so it is obvious that regulators are specifically neutered, for the purpose of allowing Eircom and others piss around with customers, with no consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrroboito

It started happening to me on Friday (2 missed calls) and I just got another (Monday morning). I answered the most recent one and hung up as soon as I heard a ringtone as that's just dodgy. Thanks for the info, I'll have a moan to meteor and to the DPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JadeDanii

I had a missed call from this number '00' today at 12:15pm, i am on T-mobile, what is this ? can someone please tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

i just got a call on my landline from this 00 number:confused:

googled the number and found this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Same as Brain Feed got a call about 5 min ago and googled 00 to find this thread :D
    Like I'd ever sign up with Meteor again lol Useless service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Owenzy31

Same here - just 00 showing up on the phone. 3 calls yesterday but there on my landline phone - I'm with eircom. Just got another call there about 5 mins ago !!!

Advertisement