Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from 00 number

Options
  • 10-10-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi

I have had a few missed calls in the last days from the number 00. It's a strange number and I answered the call today but straight away I was on hold with music playing. Fearing that it was a scam, I hung up straight away. I'm on meteor.

Has anyone else had this call or do they have any more information on who is calling me?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HelenaM

Hi

I have had a few missed calls in the last days from the number 00. It's a strange number and I answered the call today but straight away I was on hold with music playing. Fearing that it was a scam, I hung up straight away. I'm on meteor.

Has anyone else had this call or do they have any more information on who is calling me?

Many thanks!

Just today received 2 missed calls from 00, no idea who or why. Did u find out any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

What are the third, fourth and fifth numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

I missed two calls yesterday from this 00 number

I managed to answer the third one last night - and immediately I got hold music, snow patrol, the same as usual if you call Meteor

Was then told to hold for an available operator

To be honest its annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

I still get calls from this 00 number. I have only ever answered once. Today I had a missed call and a voice mail message from the number. When I checked the voice mail, there was a man with an English accent saying hello and sounding a confused. It seemed as though he hadn't intended to call me.

Can I ask what network others that ha e experienced this are on? As mentioned, I'm on meteor.
    I missed two calls yesterday from this 00 number

I managed to answer the third one last night - and immediately I got hold music, snow patrol, the same as usual if you call Meteor

Was then told to hold for an available operator

To be honest its annoying!

What are the third, fourth and fifth numbers?

There are only two digits, I know that seems strange but the numbers shows as 00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

same here, answered yesterday, got hold music then it started to ring through and i hung up. On meteor also....

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

I am on meteor and have also had missed calls from 00.

Seems that meteor is the common factor. Has anyone noticed any charges on their bill or has anyone spoken to meteor about the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 subzero10

Sounds like the scam regarding the Windows call center .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I still get calls from this 00 number. I have only ever answered once. Today I had a missed call and a voice mail message from the number. When I checked the voice mail, there was a man with an English accent saying hello and sounding a confused. It seemed as though he hadn't intended to call me.

Can I ask what network others that ha e experienced this are on? As mentioned, I'm on meteor.

You should put the question to the guys in the 'Talk to Meteor' forum right here and see what info they can provide, if anything :)

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »

You should put the question to the guys in the 'Talk to Meteor' forum right here and see what info they can provide, if anything :)

I have one of these calls again today. They seem to always call at around lunch time.

kerry4sam wrote: »

I have one of these calls again today. They seem to always call at around lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

i had the same, its meteor calling, whatever way it works, their system calls your number then transfers you to the next available agent, so the agent isn't actually calling you, its their system.

It's Meteor alright, I rang back and asked them and they confirmed it was. Offering me an upgrade because I'm out of contract.

Their system should really be set up so 'Meteor' comes up on the the display rather than '00'.

I was a bit put off by the guy asking for my PIN too, anyone could send WebTexts off my accout if they had that - so I hung up.

It's bad form for a company to ring you and look for the PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've had this out with meteor time and again, ringing from withheld numbers etc and then expecting people to confirm their details so they can peddle stuff to them.

I've had a few calls from 00 over the last few days which I'm duly ignoring. I've got my contact preference with meteor set to email for ages but they seem to ignore that all the time in their drive to sell crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

Im guessing the people who were called were all on Bill pay?
    so im safe :D

allen175 wrote: »
    i had the same, its meteor calling, whatever way it works, their system calls your number then transfers you to the next available agent, so the agent isn't actually calling you, its their system.

Thanks. That's good to know! It's strange that it's shows that the number. Definitely something that they should correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Just got the call today & found this thread.

It rang & displayed as 00 so I killed the call.
    Got a voicemail then & naturally listened to it.
    Instead of a voicemail I got put through to a woman with an English accent who said "Hello Jim"*
    I immediately hung up think it was one of those $$$$ per minute numbers.

*not my real name

• Registered Users Posts: 7 smellyandy

ianofitz wrote: »
    Im guessing the people who were called were all on Bill pay?
    so im safe :D

I'm not billpay and i missed a call from this number only a few hours ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Im PAYG and i got this last week but once i answered i was instantly redirected (noise like im ringing) and then a lady with an idiot accent answered and said she wanted to talk to me about my network provider.

It's just a scam to keep you on the line at crazy peak rates tbh

• Advertisement

It's not. It's Metoer calling about upgrading your phone, or about what you think of ther service.

If you answer and it rings, you're not the one who called the number, so it's not you who'll be charged. Were you charged for the call?

I think it's a bit stupid myself, since Meteor would have the ability to make thier name come up on a phone that they're ringing. Maybe the work is contracted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Had this just now too. Rang from '00' and when I answered all I heard was a dial tone so I just hung up. If it is Meteor then I can't imagine their getting too much response to these calls as they look v. dodgey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I got two calls from this 00 for the first time today. Did not answer.
    Meteor user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Another two calls today. Did not answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I added 00 to my reject list, got one call yesterday and one today, missed them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

just to clarify i was onto Meteor today after receiving this 00 call again and i was given an apology from customer service guy who agreed their system of calling people and putting them on hold till a sales rep deals with you is a joke.

he said they have decided to axe this process shortly....sooner the better me thinks. i would continue to hang up on them and advise anyone else to do the same.....perhaps then they will get the message.

lucanone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

00 number eh? Was the music that was playing anything like this...

(Sorry! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SeanCF1

I'm Pay as You Go and got this call the other day. When I answered it automatically made redirect noises and a woman with a foreign accent said "Hello my name is _____ and I'm calling from Meteor....your network provider"

She kinda hesitated when she said Meteor and I thought the way she specified what Meteor is was odd so I just hung up. All seemed very dodgy. I wasn't going to take any chances especially since I know this happened in the past year http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0210/eircom.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

got two of these today.

Meteor- Jokeshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It's an automated dialler. It calls a list of numbers just in time to connect you to an available agent. At least that's the theory. I got a call from them earlier today, showed up as 00. Answered and after 1, maybe 1.5 seconds, I was speaking with an agent. I'm coming to the end of my billpay contract, so he was offering me a phone upgrade or €25 off my bill. Did ask for my PIN, which I refused, but after I provided some other details, he was able to read my PIN to me, which verified his access.

I suppose that with the other details he could probably blag his way into Meteor and get my PIN if he wanted to. Not sure how else he could verify my identity though.

Advertisement