Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Stop People From Sitting In My Bus Seat!?!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

You need to show other passengers that you have a second ticket, that way they'll be a lot more understanding and won't take the seat beside you....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

While I'm 97% certain OP is a troll part of me wants to believe him/her. I've used the phrase "Have you bought two tickets?" a couple of times on the bus to some ignorant asshole who sits on outside and rolls their eyes or tuts when I politely ask them to move. Not sure how I'd react if you flashed your two bus passes at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Clearly trolling. But as has been said the ticket allows you on the bus, but doesn't entitle you to a seat. I WILL sit on your stuff or chuck it on the floor if you don't move it. I'm sure many others also would. If you don't have common sense and decency you deserve it. Especially if someone infirm or pregnant etc needs the seat. I'm tired of self absorbed people like you and love delivering a wake up call, it makes the commute less boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

See, up until this post I was in two minds as to whether you were a genuine poster. But not now.

You thought the OP here was possibly genuine? Fúck no, they're trying too hard.

a guy i know used to spill a bottle of water on the seat and when people went to sit down he'd point it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Why not insist that your bus company install a sturdy roof-rack, then, like our friends on the subcontinent, up you pop, you'd have the top of the bus to yourself.
    However, I would advice that you wear a number of clothing layers, maybe 17.
    Ballincollig may look quite like Calcutta, but I can assure you, it is slightly colder.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

urbanledge wrote: »
    a guy i know used to spill a bottle of water on the seat and when people went to sit down he'd point it out!
    What a dick.

I understand if people want a bit of space when there are plenty of other seats available but on a crowded bus, that kind of thing is just not on.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

UCDVet wrote: »
    Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I hear You JohnT, but anyone who puts a thread like this up is either a troll, or a crack-pot.

I could be both.

On a more serious note - I'm not actually a veterinarian, nor am I a UCD student. Which is why a good amount of skepticism is always a good thing on the internet.

I do ride the bus a lot though :(

So... you work for UCD. Disgraceful.

I could be both.

On a more serious note - I'm not actually a veterinarian, nor am I a UCD student. Which is why a good amount of skepticism is always a good thing on the internet.

I do ride the bus a lot though :(

I strongly suggest that you head 'Stateside' where they 'ride' buses all the time.
    'Round these here parts, as you might say, we sit on buses, or more precisely, on the passenger seats provided.
    Good day to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Zaph wrote: »
    For the sake of argument I'm going to accept that you're serious OP, although I'm not entirely convinced that you're not a troll.

Based on that assumption, what pisses me off more than anything is the fact that you are buying two reduced rate student tickets when you could easily afford a regular adult ticket. So basically my taxes are helping subsidise both public transport travel for your bag and your massive sense of entitlement. And then people wonder why the country is so much in the sh*t.

The savings for the student ticket are minimal at best. I buy the 30 day student pass and it is €84. I think the regular pass is around €94.

What concerns me a lot more is why it costs Dublin bus 4x more than a London bus for operational costs, and 10x more than UK buses outside of major cities. Its no wonder Dublin bus is operating at a loss. Would love to see where all that money goes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

9959 wrote: »
    I strongly suggest that you head 'Stateside' where they 'ride' buses all the time.
    'Round these here parts, as you might say, we sit on buses, or more precisely, on the passenger seats provided.
    Good day to you!

I'm assuming Stateside == USA?

I'd like to retire in the US but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do to immigration laws and what not. But who knows what things will be like 20+ years from now.

Andy!! wrote: »

I am not affiliated with UCD in anyway, other than knowing a few students and riding past it.

If I created a new account called 'RichAndHandsomeGuy' would you believe that I was truly Rich and Handsome?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I am not affiliated with UCD in anyway, other than knowing a few students and riding past it.

If I created a new account called 'RichAndHandsomeGuy' would you believe that I was truly Rich and Handsome?

A username such as 'RichAndHandsomeGuy' would indicate ironic humour, a good quality in a Boards username. 'UCDVet' doesn't have that effect.

I'm assuming Stateside == USA?

I'd like to retire in the US but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do to immigration laws and what not. But who knows what things will be like 20+ years from now.

It was meant as a joke, didn't mean to give offence.
    I hope I'm still around in 20+ years from now.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

So I have two of the student rambler passes. Since the bus I take each day is normally crowded and I like to read and do school work on the bus - I bought two passes. When I get on the bus, I scan them both, naturally.

Then, I sit down and take up two seats.

Seems reasonable.

But once the bus becomes full (which it inevitably does) people will ask me to move my stuff so they can sit down. It's as if they don't realize I've paid for two seats! Some have even tried to actually move my stuff themselves, while others have insisted 'Ye can't do that!'

How do you guys keep people from sitting in your seat?

start talking like a knacker on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Az0th

Can I have your spare bus ticket OP?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Andy!! wrote: »

If my username was TrinityCollegeDude, would it not be weird that I have never attended or worked in Trinity college?

Do people really aspire to be normal? It seems like such a low goal....

I know you're joking, but that is such a studenty thing to say. Uggghhh.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    start talking like a knacker on the phone.

Great.
    Let's bash 'Travellers' now.
    Is there no end to this sh1t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

9959 wrote: »
    Great.
    Let's bash 'Travellers' now.
    Is there no end to this sh1t?

Fairly sure it was meant as another way of saying scumbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

And they wonder why some people think student's are A**holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

vektarman wrote: »
    You need to show other passengers that you have a second ticket, that way they'll be a lot more understanding and won't take the seat beside you....

I wouldn't care less if somebody had 10 tickets. And I'd just throw their stuff into the aisle if they kept arguing.

That's if is the op actually does it which I doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

If you want to keep seats empty round you then you need to buy a car.
    Public transport isn't for people who have problems being near others and keeping seats empty is going against the whole spirit if the system.
    I'd say grow up, chances are nobody wants to sit beside you but they have no choice.

anncoates wrote: »
    I wouldn't care less if somebody had 10 tickets. And I'd just throw their stuff into the aisle if they kept arguing.

That's if is the op actually does it which I doubt.

In my experience; people are about 500 times more likely to say they'd take some action on the internet then they are to actually do it. I'm not saying anything about you specifically - just people in general.

In real life people are pretty likely to just do nothing. I've seen plenty of ridiculous behavior on the Luas and Dublin Bus - most of the time people just sit and stare.

In real life, I'd put my extra stuff in the Window seat and I'd sit in the Isle seat in the back of top level. Nine times out of ten nobody would say a thing, much less 'throw my stuff and sit down'.

Plus I'm a pretty big (fat) guy. It'd be pretty hard to reach over me and get my bag. And it's filled with a bunch of books and expensive laptop. So, good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Plus I'm a pretty big (fat) guy. It'd be pretty hard to reach over me and get my bag. And it's filled with a bunch of books and expensive laptop. So, good luck with that.

I can barely type a reply in my terror.

anncoates wrote: »
    I can barely type a reply in my terror.

I'm not trying to scare anyone.

I'm just pointing out the silliness of the 'I'll just throw his stuff on the ground and sit down!' responses. I don't believe they would *try* to do it. And if they tried, statistically, a good majority of them *couldn't*. Unless everyone on the internet posting is some giant rugby superstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I'm just pointing out the silliness of the 'I'll just throw his stuff on the ground and sit down!' responses. I don't believe they would *try* to do it. And if they tried, statistically, a good majority of them *couldn't*. Unless everyone on the internet posting is some giant rugby superstar.

For me, the silliness is You using UCDVet and then claiming You do not go to UCD, nor are You a Vet, and posting such a rediculous original post & thus believing You have a right to 2 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Its not your seat for a start. Oh and when I use the bus or train I target people like you and tell you to remove your bag from the seat and sit there even if there's other seats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

But once the bus becomes full (which it inevitably does) people will ask me to move my stuff so they can sit down. It's as if they don't realize I've paid for two seats! Some have even tried to actually move my stuff themselves, while others have insisted 'Ye can't do that!'

So, which is it?

• Advertisement

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    For me, the silliness is You using UCDVet and then claiming You do not go to UCD, nor are You a Vet, and posting such a rediculous original post & thus believing You have a right to 2 seats.

Do you really go to Le or are you a Dieux?

My name originated in jest at people's willingness to believe any claim presented on the internet. In this particular case, I didn't claim to be either of those things, I simply used them in my Display Name or whatever it's called.

Seriously though - if I can purchase one ticket that gives me a right to a single available seat; I don't understand why two tickets wouldn't give me a right to two available seats.

Certainly, already occupied seats are taken. I'm not expecting anyone to give up their seat. If there are no seats, I understand that my ticket does not guarantee me one.

But if ONE ticket gives me the chance at ONE seat - why wouldn't TWO tickets give me the chance at TWO seats? I'm paying as much as two people, why shouldn't I have the space allocated to two people?

This is particularly relevant because I'm a big guy. I'm probably the size of 1.5 people. If I only buy ONE ticket and I sit down, I'm going to take up 1.5 seats. There isn't anything I can do about that.

Paying for two seats seems a lot more fair. I'm paying for the resources I'm using. If I only pay for one, I'm essentially take 1/2 of a strangers seat - who paid full price for his or her ticket but can only get 1/2 of a seat because I'm a larger gentlemen.

Would you want to sit next to big fat guy on the bus? Most people don't.

Advertisement