Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Stop People From Sitting In My Bus Seat!?!?

Options
  • 10-10-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

So I have two of the student rambler passes. Since the bus I take each day is normally crowded and I like to read and do school work on the bus - I bought two passes. When I get on the bus, I scan them both, naturally.

Then, I sit down and take up two seats.

Seems reasonable.

But once the bus becomes full (which it inevitably does) people will ask me to move my stuff so they can sit down. It's as if they don't realize I've paid for two seats! Some have even tried to actually move my stuff themselves, while others have insisted 'Ye can't do that!'

How do you guys keep people from sitting in your seat?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Put on some weight. People don't like sitting beside the fatties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wink at them and rub your thighs and ask do they want to sit on your lap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Stop washing

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is the OP a chunky monkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

You are kidding me.

Have you got 2 arses?

I think if you look at the small print/bye laws/t & c's of the pass it may not guarantee you a seat anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

UCDVet wrote: »
    So I have two of the student rambler passes. Since the bus I take each day is normally crowded and I like to read and do school work on the bus - I bought two passes. When I get on the bus, I scan them both, naturally.

Seems reasonable.

But once the bus becomes full (which it inevitably does) people will ask me to move my stuff so they can sit down. It's as if they don't realize I've paid for two seats! Some have even tried to actually move my stuff themselves, while others have insisted 'Ye can't do that!'

Do your school work at home/in the library like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Get a bag like THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Ill just say thats not a very nice or intelligent thing to do... I think you just wasted money on 2 passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Stop being such a nerd. And stop wasting you're bloody money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Do your school work at home/in the library like a normal person.

Do people really aspire to be normal? It seems like such a low goal....

Joking aside, I spend nearly two hours on the bus most days, so it seems like a waste of time not to do something productive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

Pat the seat beside you, look straight at them, and smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

It's funny that some people think this is serious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A very realistic doll would solve your problem. When someone tries to take the seat hit them with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

why do you need two seats:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

Seems reasonable.

Usually I get on the bus , cock my leg and mark my seat and general area so that no one else comes near me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Piss on the seat that should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Invite people to sit beside you. The more keen you are to sit beside people the less likely they'll want to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What kind of selfish cnut with money to waste will see another person having to stand for a whole bus journey while one seat that could be used by that passenger is occupied by a bag?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Even if you really did pay for two seats people are just going to think you are being a douche and making it up because you don't want to move your sh't.

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    why do you need two seats:confused:

So that I have space to study. I have a smaller-ish laptop but I still prefer to take notes on paper. I watch lectures and review notes - but it's really impossible to do comfortably without having two seats.

EDIT: To be perfectly honest, I'm also a bit 'larger' than many on the Dublin bus. Even without my school work I feel like the seats are a bit too small to fit myself comfortably. It seems unfair for me to only pay for one and then take up most of someone else's seat too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Stop being such a nerd. And stop wasting you're bloody money.

its probably somebody elses or even tax payers money, hence he doesnt give a s*it...

this is a wind up, nobody can be that much of a bellend to actually think two bus passes means two seats.

thinly veiled "im think im really funny" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Does nobody else do this?

no....

no one would be that strange.

Sorry OP.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Go away and buy a bus of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Just say your imaginary friend is sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Do people really aspire to be normal? It seems like such a low goal....

Joking aside, I spend nearly two hours on the bus most days, so it seems like a waste of time not to do something productive.

I take the bus most days and I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk how many tickets you paid for - if your 'spare' seat is the only going, I'm going to sit on the fcuker.

If you want to do something productive, perhaps catch up on some reading or write a threatening letter to a celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Does nobody else do this?.

No.

Unlike a plane, a bus will have varying numbers of passengers.

On Dublin bus, you pay for the fare, this does not guarantee a seat.

For example, if you got on a busy bus and there are no free seats, you are not entitled to one because you have a ticket.

Therefore 2 tickets makes no difference. You are wasting your money. Stop.

EDIT - Go to the back of the bus (preferably the top deck). Sit by the window with just enough room between you and the window for your laptop, but not enough room that someone could sit in. People are very unlikely to walk to the back of the bus for a space that small.

I take the bus most days and I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk how many tickets you paid for - if your 'spare' seat is the only going, I'm going to sit on the fcuker.

If you want to do something productive, perhaps catch up on some reading or write a threatening letter to a celebrity.

So you're okay with stealing services purchased by another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Try sitting upstairs, near the back, and sit on the outside of the seat - always works for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

michellie wrote: »
    It's funny that some people think this is serious

He's using two seats, there's nothing funny about that :mad:

• Advertisement

No.

Unlike a plane, a bus will have varying numbers of passengers.

On Dublin bus, you pay for the fare, this does not guarantee a seat.

For example, if you got on a busy bus and there are no free seats, you are not entitled to one because you have a ticket.

Therefore 2 tickets makes no difference. You are wasting your money. Stop.

EDIT - Go to the back of the bus (preferably the top deck). Sit by the window with just enough room between you and the window for your laptop, but not enough room that someone could sit in. People are very unlikely to walk to the back of the bus for a space that small.

I've also noticed that the Dublin Bus drivers regularly allow on more passengers than the bus can safely allow. People are clearly past the 'white line' and risk being hit when the door opens. The bus has the maximum capacity clearly written - but the number of people over that by a significant amount.

It seems dangerous, and IMHO, causes problems with the seats. It seems natural that the fare doesn't entitle you to a seat - but they are take on a first come/first serve biases (except the handicapped/elderly labeled ones). But if I'm first, with two tickets, surely that entitles me to two seats?

IMHO - if they bus drivers would stop the dangerous overcrowding of the bus, people wouldn't feel the need to disregard the first-come, first-serve policy.

Advertisement