Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else had issues with bikeworld ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Rent on that place is massive i'd say. Thanks but i'd rather buy my stuff off a shop in the middle of an industrial estate than pay the mark up for their rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tzardine wrote: »
    I usually buy my servicing bits in cotters. They were out of stock one day of an air filter. A hiflo one. They sell them for €15. I said I would try BW. Exact same filter €35.

Needless to say I laughed at them. A couple of euro more fair enough, but more than double the price ! Chancers.

Swings and round-a-bouts really. I bought a small bottle of Scottoil oil in Cotters for €15, rode around to BW and the larger bottle was only €12.

That said I tried on RST adventure boots in BW a few years ago, they were priced at €199 ~ before I left the store I'd bought them online for €99 from a UK dealer.

I priced tyres in BW one time and the told me they couldn't compete with Cotters and advised me to go there lol

As regards servicing secondhand bikes. Of course they're not serviced and then left to sit on the showroom floors but I've bought a number of secondhand bikes from BW and without fail I've ridden the bike away in absolute mint condition and fully serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Holy thread ressurection batman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

As regards servicing secondhand bikes. Of course they're not serviced and then left to sit on the showroom floors but I've bought a number of secondhand bikes from BW and without fail I've ridden the bike away in absolute mint condition and fully serviced.

Just jumped on their website and at the end of their secondhand bike descriptions it does say fully serviced with "when sold" in feint lettering.

This wasn't clear in the showroom and i understood they were ready to go.

So i was wrong on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

RST adventure jacket €100 cheaper on line. It’s hard to support your local shop when there is a whopping €100 saving. Having said that I have always found Ray and the crew in bike world courteous and lovely to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

duskyjoe wrote: »
    RST adventure jacket €100 cheaper on line. It’s hard to support your local shop when there is a whopping €100 saving. Having said that I have always found Ray and the crew in bike world courteous and lovely to deal with.

I got my RST Adventure jacket for €150 less online :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

AGV K5s - €420 in BW. I bought it online delivered €245. I'll support local but not at €200 difference !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Irish business's have to pay 23% vat on safety gear and products when they come into Ireland.
    But I can understand when theres a huge price difference involved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Greed...simples.......they'd rather let it sit on the shelf than reduce the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I got trousers and a jacket there a few weeks ago. I checked the prices online and could have saved a few quid... But when I got to the checkout I got a discount... so it ended up cheaper than the web, I got it immediately, and I supported a local shop.

Oh, and he threw in a pinlock.

I've always been looked after in BW and always found the staff helpful and courteous.

YMMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

BW are the only Irish dealer in the country for this particular Chinese bike, I'm concerned about the servicing and parts backup as it's not a popular bike. There is a 2 year warranty with the bike. Would any other bike shop do the service. I could do it myself but would it invalidate the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

On the servicing front BW told me when I purchased a new bike from them in 2021 that I could have the bike serviced by an independent servicer so long as it was documented and correct grade oil used. So no problem there. But they were pretty terrible to deal with.

I would be more hesitant about buying a Chinese bike (reliability issues) and the lack of spare parts though. I say this as a previous owner of one.

What year bike was it, they seem to have upped their game.(make?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

What chinese bike are you after? if its a keeway, i've heard theyre notorious Rust magnets

Zontes

There's some you tube reviews from UK reviewers,all quiet interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Oh, I remember reading about their 310T adventure bike. Was meant to be great value for the money.

I think a friend of mine did a review for the Sinnis adventure bike and said they were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,092 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd run a mile tbh, doesn't matter how good or bad BW or anywhere else is if they can't get the parts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Been on to UK agent responsible, and they carry 85% parts, but you have to use the dealer in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, I'm not so sure. Most of the smaller bikes, including the Jap brands in the smaller market, are made in places like Thailand, Vietnam etc anyway. Some of the Italian-made smaller Yamaha's rust like stuff from the 70's used to

For some reason, outside a shop nearby, up until recently there has been a Keeway 125 sitting locked on the footpath for about 2 years. Naturally, it hasn't done it any favours, but it hasn't rusted any more spectacularly than anything else left like that.

And Benelli & Keeway are the same company and my son had a BN125 and it faired well over the 18 months that he had it,

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement