Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else had issues with bikeworld ?

Options
  • 09-10-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

called to bikeworld today and was diabolically treated - anyone else had any dealings with this place ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

do tell....and no... normally I go in.. look....leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭prunudo

Have never found them preticulary good or bad. Good thing is though you can have a look around at a lot of stuff under one roof. Like all bike shops though I find unless you know them or are in the 'clique' it can be difficult to get served.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

More info OP. Never bought anything there except the odd Dainese thing when I was treating myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Yep, awful shower. Refused to sell two full sets of Dainese gear to my boyfriend and I unless we went up to Dublin and into their shop. We were trying to buy the gear through our local dealer so that we would be able to collect the gear locally and they just refused to budge, wouldn't sell over the phone or online to us, insisted we go up to their shop. Dream on! Great to see businesses doing so well that they can turn away customers. Money went elsewhere and gladly accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 varadamo

a bit more info - called into this place as i was goin to treat myself to a new lid - upstairs closed for lunch so i couldnt browse the lids -25 mins to wait then ! asked at counter if there was a coffee / tea machine around .
    told to go to cafe up the road . i made a comment about poor customer service ( suppose im used to free coffee at joe duffys / honda balymount etc... ) went outside to look at bikes as i had still 10 mins to wait to browse the lids upstairs - this lad follows me out and tells me he,s the manager and proceeded to give out to me in a VERY condesending manner ! he told me he was not a cafe and had no staff to open at lunchtime as nobody was buyn anything - i told him i wanted to but i couldnt - he then told me i could leave if i wished which i duly did !!
    btw i love to give praise for GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE - went straight to crossons and told them about my ordeal - they offered to make me coffee as i browsed and then BOUGHT MY NEW LID - pays to treat your customers with respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Yep, awful shower. Refused to sell two full sets of Dainese gear to my boyfriend and I unless we went up to Dublin and into their shop. We were trying to buy the gear through our local dealer so that we would be able to collect the gear locally and they just refused to budge, wouldn't sell over the phone or online to us, insisted we go up to their shop. Dream on! Great to see businesses doing so well that they can turn away customers. Money went elsewhere and gladly accepted.

What did you expect? For them to ship their products to your local dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Not everywhere has tea/coffee machines, and if they don't its not bad customer service its a luxury to have them. Having said that whoever followed you out was totally out of order, manager or not and you should have given him dogs abuse.

I have bought stuff in the past in BW and they are more expensive but when I had a problem recently I was sorted after a brief run around and a stern debate.

Most people use it for sizing and buy elsewhere, but I have yet to be treated in that manner if I was I would tell them where to go not the other way round.

And I take it you went to COTTERS (Ballymount) not Crossans (Newry) for a lid and a cuppa, and TBH I have gotten worse service in there talk about arrogant pri3ks but the prices are better. Biker buddy of mine bought a pair of TCX boots and was given two different boots. One was a 2008 model and the other was a 2010 needless to say the older boot was letting in rain big time and the sole was falling off after about a month.

I tend to go up to Crossans (Newry) On Friday I got a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's front and back for online prices even when bought in shop and did not charge me for fitting either of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have to say that apart from their awful telephone service I've always been treated well in the showrooms.

Actually they've always been willing to move on the price of goods for me.. I've found Cotters to be the opposite tbh (just around the corner ~ Crossans OP?)

Did anything else happen in the shop OP?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Been in a few times and only bought small stuff like gloves and bike maintainence bits. Only thing I asked where gloves where to be pointed in a random direction but found them anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

varadamo wrote: »
    a bit more info - called into this place as i was goin to treat myself to a new lid - upstairs closed for lunch so i couldnt browse the lids -25 mins to wait then ! asked at counter if there was a coffee / tea machine around .
    told to go to cafe up the road . i made a comment about poor customer service ( suppose im used to free coffee at joe duffys / honda balymount etc... ) went outside to look at bikes as i had still 10 mins to wait to browse the lids upstairs - this lad follows me out and tells me he,s the manager and proceeded to give out to me in a VERY condesending manner ! he told me he was not a cafe and had no staff to open at lunchtime as nobody was buyn anything - i told him i wanted to but i couldnt - he then told me i could leave if i wished which i duly did !!
    btw i love to give praise for GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE - went straight to crossons and told them about my ordeal - they offered to make me coffee as i browsed and then BOUGHT MY NEW LID - pays to treat your customers with respect

Manager has time to follow you around, but no time to bring you upstairs to look at lids. Complains no-one is buying anything. Utter moron.

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    What did you expect? For them to ship their products to your local dealer?

They say on their website that they ship to anywhere in ROI so, yes. They didn't stand to lose any money by doing so and instead lost the whole sale. No other bike shop has a problem with this as it has been done before with others. Aside from that, they also refused to sell directly to us over the phone so obviously they don't ship to anywhere in ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

reminds me of this add I saw lastnight:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3994830
    new ninja 250 for sale on special in bikeworld €5,250

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1601928
    new ninja 250 for sale in bikeworld- with FREE IBT Training €5,950

looks like your paying 700 for IBT in second deal- however I could be wrong..second deal says it's a ninja 250 r...is the 'r' version much more expensive?-whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gallimh92

it thought they were very helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

cojomo2 wrote: »

looks like your paying 700 for IBT in second deal- however I could be wrong..second deal says it's a ninja 250 r...is the 'r' version much more expensive?-whats the difference?

Given they are using the same picture of the pretty girl on the bike in both, I'd presume they are the same bike, they just didn't add in the R.

Not from Dublin, don't care about their level of stock, if they are doing what I think I'm never going there.

And the "Indicated Cost" of IBT is bull, unless you are doing it alone, which I'd hazard a guess that they have terms and conditions attached which say mid-week only, and possibly doing it with someone else.

No difference...same bike. Yes, its that sort of "our customers are idiots who'll fall for this" attitude that puts me off BW. No bad experiences with them myself, but almost everything is a rip off so I've barely bought a thing there.

They say on their website that they ship to anywhere in ROI so, yes. They didn't stand to lose any money by doing so and instead lost the whole sale. No other bike shop has a problem with this as it has been done before with others. Aside from that, they also refused to sell directly to us over the phone so obviously they don't ship to anywhere in ROI.

Okay, well then I understand you frustration...did they give any reason?

False advertisting and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

there's only one ninja version alright - ninja250r

bit of a cock up there - first link seems to be a limited offer to the month of Oct, but it does mention the normal retail price of 5750e. So either way, the IBT package isn't quite free..

rat_race wrote: »
    Okay, well then I understand you frustration...did they give any reason?

False advertisting and all that...

Nope, just outright refused.

The only reason our local dealer ended up dealing with them was because when he rang Dainese directly to place the order he was told that he'd have to go through BW because they are the distributor in Ireland which is fair enough but they then refused to take an order from our local dealer and us directly. In fairness, Dainese gear isn't cheap and we were looking for jacket, trousers, boots and gloves x2 so they lost out on a large sale there.

I was in there last week and I seen the deal on that the "R" version they have. It comes with extras that you dont normally get. From what I can remember looking at the deal it was a seat cowl, smoked double bubble screen and an exhaust. And a pair of gloves or some ****.

I have no opinion on BW myself and not defending the place, I would rather it there then not as I like to browse the gear etc. I also heard about a lad who put a deposit on a bike €500 and when his situation changed, they would not transfer the deposit to a different bike in the shop! He did not want the money back and go elsewhere just would not give it on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I was in there last week and I seen the deal on that the "R" version they have. It comes with extras that you dont normally get. From what I can remember looking at the deal it was a seat cowl, smoked double bubble screen and an exhaust. And a pair of gloves or some ****.

I have no opinion on BW myself and not defending the place, I would rather it there then not as I like to browse the gear etc. I also heard about a lad who put a deposit on a bike €500 and when his situation changed, they would not transfer the deposit to a different bike in the shop! He did not want the money back and go elsewhere just would not give it on anything else.
    did they order a bike in especially for him?

• Advertisement

Apparently not.

He went down the legal route and in the end left the deposit there and bought elsewhere!!! That is a VERY NASTY way to operate if you ask me....he was still gonna get a bike in there just not the original one he picked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Never had any problem with Bikeworld. I've bought bikes + a lot of gear in their store, though not in the last 2 years.

To be fair OP, you had no justification for having a go at their staff for not offering you a coffee. They are a bike store, not Starbucks. Depending on how you 'complained' about this, the manager may have been justified in having a go at you.

And...their website clearly states:
    Closed for lunch 2 - 2:30pm
    ...so if you were there during that time, then you cannot complain about nobody being available to to show/sell you the lids.

Saying that, Bikeworld won't be winning any awards for customer service or for friendliest staff. They don't budge on prices & are none to keen to offering help.

Cotters on the other hand, have always given me a discount & the staff are very willing to help (especially the elder gentleman).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've been to Bike World a good few times with no bother. Had an issue with a genuine filter I got off them and the mechanic came out and explained how to resolve it. I also got a pair of RST jeans off them and they allowed me down stairs to see how they felt when sitting on a bike like mine.

As for looking for tea or coffee, since no one buys anything in BW why would they spend money on coffee for people who aren't spending money.

My biggest issue with Cotters is their lack of organisation, they remind me of TK Max during sales, but their prices are great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I've never dealt with bike world because of stories I've heard on this and other forums.

For the most part I've dealt with Cotters and they are always helpful and friendly, plus I've gotten discounts a good few times. They are also very understanding and willing to leave payment go for a few months until people can better afford it.

Myself and 3 other lads did a trip early last month around France, Spain, Portugal and a bit of Africa . Cotter's owner (Simon) told us that if anything happened on the road in Spain to give him a call as he knows a few people and he'd be able to get the bike(s) back home for us.

Sound isn't the word!

It drives me mad the way nothing is priced in cottors.
    I was buying a lid there and asked for a hand with something and was told they the have time to help!
    I told him he had time and he made time! I nearly walked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Saying that, Bikeworld won't be winning any awards for customer service or for friendliest staff. They don't budge on prices & are none to keen to offering help.

In their defence I have to say that when I've asked for a discount I've always got it.

But then again sometimes I can have a neck like a jockies bollox :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've bought a couple of new bikes in their over the years and the odd bit of gear and parts. Only ever had one problem to be honest.

Also I have never paid full price for anything in Bikeworld either....even the dainese boots I got €30 off them. I suppose all these stores are great until something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Your easily bought. A cup of coffee and your sold. I wouldn't care if it came with a free kick in the mick, if I got a good deal on the lid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

called to bikeworld today and was diabolically treated - anyone else had any dealings with this place ?

Oh yeah.
    I left my bike in about a year ago, to get dipped headlight bulb, front pads, oil and filter done. I supplied the parts.
    Came back to collect and found they had decided to change the plugs too, with informing me or seeking my approval.
    Probably added a ton to the cost, but I just thought **** it, Im not arguing but I'll never be back.
    Well I had to go back, cos when I got up the road the bike started to cut out. didnt know what it was, thought maybe theyd adjusted the clutch or played with the idle speed. I figured it would bed in but next day it was worse, so I phoned them and said there was a problem, and Id drop it in the next time I was free to do so, the following wednesday.
    So went in and it transpired the ignition coil was broke, and I can guarantee this happened when they took the plugs out, which they never had permission to do.
    And Id never had one iota of a problem with the coils in the 4 years Id had the bike. Its started first time every time and sounded perfect before I drove in. It was damaged in the process of doing a job they didnt even get my permisssion to do.
    When handing it back, the mechanic even waffled that he changed the plugs cos the coils might be damaged otherwise., due to age.
    What a ****ing coincedence eh!
    So they fixed the coil, but only at cost price, so another ton for me.
    I was stupid not to argue it and go mental, but hey I didnt and there you go.

I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy, they dont have a clue how to treat customers, and I think they basically to all intents and purposes try to rob you for as much as they can.
    I then got a voucher for 100 euro for Christmas from my Dad, who didnt know of this dispute. But I wasnt gonna spend money there again, so I asked the manager to refund my Dad as a sign of goodwill. My dad wouldnt have a lot of money, but the ****er wouldnt refund it.
    He is a wanker plain and simple.
    Stay away from them, thats my advice.

Advertisement