Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Anyone else think the worst when he started spinning like crazy and the camera cut to the control room, or was it just me?

That was scary as fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Missed it by minutes!!! Is there a video available? Can't find full footage of the actual event on Youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anyone else think the worst when he started spinning like crazy and the camera cut to the control room, or was it just me?
    Same here, he was spinning like mad, then it cut to the control room and the sound was gone. I seriously thought it all went wrong in that moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

i heard Bodyform Maxi pads are sponsering a womans attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bnt wrote: »
    I saw him hit 690 mph, which is over the speed of sound at those altitudes.
    Certainly at his starting altitude, but all depends where he was when he hit maximum velocity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm jealous of him for getting to see the view from the steps just before he jumped, it must have been absolutely incredible.

This Lucky fecker! I'd say there was a serious amount of red bull adrenalin running though his veins at that point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wasn't concerned about his spin, once the atmosphere thickened up he had something to work against and so stop the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

This Lucky fecker! I'd say there was a serious amount of red bull adrenalin running though his veins at that point!
    Nah, cool as ice. You don't want to be getting excited and burn through your oxygen supply too quickly

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Kittinger must have been secretly thrilled when he pulled the chute early! :o
    I too thought something had gone horribly wrong when he started spinning. It gave me a tiny taste of what it must have been like for those watching the The Space Shuttle Challenger or Columbia disasters.

Well done Felix! \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

That was scary as fook.
    Same here, he was spinning like mad, then it cut to the control room and the sound was gone. I seriously thought it all went wrong in that moment.

I almost applauded with everyone else when he somehow stopped the spin and stabilised himself. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

When is the press conference suppose to start? That jump was absolutely amazing but I thought he was doomed for a little while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

BBC News saying he reached a peak of 725mph to which they also said that was supersonic at the height he was.

But this is all still estimates, expect the official speeds to take hours to come out.

Have they calculated whether he broke the sound barrier or not yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Certainly at his starting altitude, but all depends where he was when he hit maximum velocity
    Well, he was certainly above 25,000 ft. According to the table, it's below 690 mph all the way between 120,000 ft and 25,000 ft. So if he hit 725 mph, it's a good 'un.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Incredible. Pretty hard to top this animated GIF: http://i.minus.com/ij8y5XBZ9c1EP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

bnt wrote: »
    I saw him hit 690 mph, which is over the speed of sound at those altitudes.
    He hit 729mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Have they calculated whether he broke the sound barrier or not yet?

According to BBC report they have to analyse data from a GPS chip he wore.

Odd...I awlays thought GPS was **** for measuring altitude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

According to BBC report they have to analyse data from a GPS chip he wore.

Odd...I awlays thought GPS was **** for measuring altitude
    It won't be your bog standard GPS, it'll be some MIL-spec devices. More than one of them, of course.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Amazing, love watch groundbreaking stuff like this.....part of history, live :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Really shows us how Aviation development has kinda stagnated. Yes there has been developments in safety etc but its not really pushing boundaries anymore. Concorde, TU-144, Space Shuttle, Buran, SR-71 and the XB-70 all sitting in mueseums with no replacement:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Really shows us how Aviation development has kinda stagnated. Yes there has been developments in safety etc but its not really pushing boundaries anymore. Concorde, TU-144, Space Shuttle, Buran, SR-71 and the XB-70 all sitting in mueseums with no replacement:(:(

And you'd think they could get clearer lines of communication!

A man jumped out of space and nobody had a clue what his monumental words before doing it were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

could someone please photoshop john terry into one of the landing pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

EdenHazard wrote: »
    could someone please photoshop john terry into one of the landing pics

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/539296_369642566450512_1871405408_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Sofaspud wrote: »
    And you'd think they could get clearer lines of communication!

A man jumped out of space and nobody had a clue what his monumental words before doing it were.

Was going to ask this, did anyone make out the few words he said before the jump ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Lollers wrote: »
    Was going to ask this, did anyone make out the few words he say before the jump ?

The last words I caught were 'I'm going home.' Those were definitely his last three words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Lollers wrote: »
    Was going to ask this, did anyone make out the few words he say before the jump ?

Last line was "I'm coming home". Couldn't make out the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If that was me I'd take a p*ss before jumping...sure it'd probably destroy my lad and my entire body now that I think of it but you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

And he did it as well, congrats to him

Advertisement