Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Did he break the speed of sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

That was freaking amazing! Well worth it, he may have missed out on one record but who cares? The world saw this feat happen live!

The internet is truly a wonderful tool. :)

Amazing that a human can actually do that, and (seemingly) suffer no ill effects.

When he dropped off the step, I thought it would've been a slow or gradual drop for some reason. The way he just plummeted downwards was fairly intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

A small glimpse of how it must have felt to watch the moon landing..

Amazing, Can't wait to see the footage from the suit cams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I dunno why but have urge to go buy some Red Bull

But will it give you supersonic wings?

• Advertisement

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Felix: 'Again again again again :D'

Incredible stuff. What a man. Hope he or someone else does this again soon.

Sure we'll all be doing it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

That was without doubt one of the most amazing feats I have ever witnessed, I wasn't around for the moon landing but it has to be up there with it.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Brilliant band name. Almost like they predicted the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When he dropped off the step, I thought it would've been a slow or gradual drop for some reason. The way he just plummeted downwards was fairly intense.

Initially there was very little to stop him dropping like a stone in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Serosuly never expected it to be that amazing i even welled up a little :D serously stuff like that deserves it..
    Enjoyed that :)

• Advertisement

Cicero wrote: »
    But will it give you supersonic wings?

it will give him the runs
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

the commentator seems to think there's a chance he may have past speed of sound but looking at the speed as it was happening it didn't look like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Fantastic achievement, hopefully might re-kindle some interest in manned spaceflight.

The sight of the space shuttle trundling along an LA neighborhood earlier today and getting stuck by a few trees was a rather humiliating way for one such chapter to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

That makes me feel a bit shít. When I come home from work tomorrow and am asked how my day was, I'll say "Fine. Same old same old". As for Felix, "Well honey, I freefell from 25 miles up in the sky to break a world record while millions of people from all corners of the world watched. What's for dinner?"

672169950-83be70a912acdfacb535d946d724e27f.507b04a8-scaled.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm jealous of him for getting to see the view from the steps just before he jumped, it must have been absolutely incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Did he really say "Red Bull gives you wings" before stepping off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Holy shit tits! That was amazing.. So god damn kick ass amazing! So glad we got to see it online. Made me emotional too :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Looks like he broke the speed of sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Ok fine I guess I'll buy a Red Bull.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very, very cool. Some show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

look forward to the video from his suit cam..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Snowie wrote: »
    Serosuly never expected it to be that amazing i even welled up a little :D serously stuff like that deserves it..
    Enjoyed that :)

Yeah me too with the welling up a bit....wtf is that about??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

My heart was in my mouth when they showed the view down

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hopefully this will ignite the drive for a manned mission to Mars sooner rather than later. And warp drive, we need a first manned mission with warp drive, that would be even more exciting.

its about mankind doing the impossible, and being lucky enough to watch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Anyone else think the worst when he started spinning like crazy and the camera cut to the control room, or was it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

the commentator seems to think there's a chance he may have past speed of sound but looking at the speed as it was happening it didn't look like it
    I saw him hit 690 mph, which is over the speed of sound at those altitudes.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Its about watching the human species pushing the boundaries of what was previously possible. Fantastic :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Luis Swaraz has now been relegated to the second most impressive dive of the week.

Advertisement