Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you consider to be Irish ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Esel wrote: »
    Who are they? Who does not appreciate them?

If you don't know, you are living in either a non sporting world, in which case you are not interested, or you are living in a small community where all local players are indeed local, in either case just enjoy your idealic life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gbee wrote: »
    If you don't know, you are living in either a non sporting world, in which case you are not interested, or you are living in a small community where all local players are indeed local, in either case just enjoy your idealic life.
    Way to avoid awkward questions...

And what is idealic mean, pliz?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not avoiding, if you are not effected by racism I'm not spreading it, there has been media attention recently, not least across the water in England, but it goes on here in the republic too.

Ideal world, it should spell, phonetically, idilic it's not, sorry.

Yeah, they be throwing coconuts at Seán Óg down your way?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mitosis wrote: »
    I'll explain. The OP is born in Ireland, therefore Irish. Mars Bar in born in England, therefore English.
    Were you are born is your nationality, were your parents are from is your ethnicity - simples!

What kind of sh*te?!

So please tell me what I am then? I was born in Botswana, grew up there for 10 years at which point I moved to Ireland. My parents are Irish and I have Irish citizenship (I don't even have any rights to citizenship in Botswana).

Your nationality (as in what you are identified as) is really what you choose it to be. Where you feel most proud of being from, where you feel most comfortable being. Even when I was in Botswana I always considered myself Irish and nothing has changed. For others it may be that where they were born means more to them than where they grew up or now live. Some may even be proud of a nationality they only have through relatives, as I did when I was a child.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »
    So, after all, you know. Glad it does not happen your way, but there was no need for the tooth extraction, a simple, 'I KNOW AND UNDERSTAND" would have sufficed.

It's mostly the reason I ignore people who ask these lame questions.

BTW, despite this I am proud of racist Cork and I'll stand to defend her any day. We are the last independent spirit left in the country.
    You know, it is sad, rather than funny, that my coconut question came right off the top of my head (as in I made it up thinking it to be so outrageous as to be incredible). No dentistry intended.

If that shit actually happens, the perpetrators should be subjected to having pineapples hammered backwards up their jacksies.

You are right that I am not an avid follower of sports, but I don't think I have ever read or heard of any of that racist stuff happening here. Presumably then there are other examples, but I am not asking you to provide them. I'm sure the vitriol is only directed at players on the opposing team, but it still proves the mentality at work. Briseann an dúchas trí shúil an chait.

Behaviour such as that should never be defended though. We need to shine a very bright light on the cretins who engage in it. One technique I have used (in conversation, not on the terraces obviously) is to ask if they would object to being operated on for a life-threatening condition by, or receiving a blood or organ transplant from, a person of the 'type' they denigrate.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement