Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women - what's your aim in life?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think I'd like to be content, to look back on what I've done, and be happy with it, what I've achieved, the people I value, and to generally just have few regrets.

I'm happy pretty much with my life now, I've a job I enjoy and feel respected in, a partner whom I adore and a good relationship with my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joysabroad

dory wrote: »
    I don't really do long term. So before I'm 30 (2.5 years) I want to:

Speak 5 languages fluently (almost there).
    Write a book (Chapter one is done!)
    Live abroad again, but this may happen after 30
    Finally feel my house is 'done'.
    Make my garden look like one of those TV ones (this may never happen....)
    Visit at least 10 new countries.

After that, who knows!
    Good ones!!!

My goals have really changed since I turned 30. Before 30 I was all about my career. I also thought love but no, I was deeply buried in my career. When I realized I wasn't fulfilled by my career I thought long and hard about what I wanted from life. I decided to move to China to teach English. Though it's been really tough it was the best decision.

Current goals:
    -Live in the moment - appreciate the NOW.
    -Learn Chinese
    -Allow myself to be happy (especially without a man)
    -Write more
    -Learn as much as I can about people and other cultures
    -Do things that I enjoy

Do it! It's nice to be a wanderer and still have a goal to keep you moving forward that would probably stop the wandering lifestyle. :-) I also think a coffee shop business would be amazing. I love to spend time in coffee shops - why not open one? You can do it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Work hard at a job I enjoy.
    Be able to live comfortably.
    Be proud of myself.
    Fall in love and get married.
    Have a family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

joysabroad wrote: »
    Do it! It's nice to be a wanderer and still have a goal to keep you moving forward that would probably stop the wandering lifestyle. :-) I also think a coffee shop business would be amazing. I love to spend time in coffee shops - why not open one? You can do it!

Is this for me? Thank you! I plan to some day when I get the $$$ to fund it. Will hopefully get myself sorted with a steady career in the next 3-4 years and then I'll get saving. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I don't really have an aim other than to just remain as happy as I am with my life now. Obviously there are things I'd like to change and that will happen but I never stop being happy with my life so my aim is to remain this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I can't figure out what my long term goals are as I feel I'm too young to think about them. My aim in life would be the type of person I would become, not the type of life I led. I think the type of person I evolve into as I am growing into a young woman will be indicative of the type of life I lead.

Honestly, my aim in life is to be even a fraction of the person my mother is - kind, caring, compassionate, selfless, and the strongest woman I know. She always has a smile on her face, had the courage to leave a volatile household in London at 22 with a 3 year old child, and move back to Ireland. She raised me alone, worked 2 jobs, did night courses, and got herself to a really high paying job because of her determination.

The friendships she has are lifelong ones because she nurtures them, and she is so generous, she would rather spend her last tenner on someone else than herself if she thought it would make them happy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to be that person. Determined, hard working, knows the value of money and doesn't squander it foolishly, and nurtures relationships.

After that, everything will fall into place.

Oh, and I really want ponies. No lie. I'd love lots of land for horses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Stheno wrote: »
    I think I'd like to be content, to look back on what I've done, and be happy with it, what I've achieved, the people I value, and to generally just have few regrets.

I'm happy pretty much with my life now, I've a job I enjoy and feel respected in, a partner whom I adore and a good relationship with my family.

This is pretty much mine, just to be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Coming up to 30 now and definitely know what I want from my life. Freedom is the most important thing to me.

I'm lucky in that I have already found the 'one' and we are together nearly 7 years and engaged. It's scary how alike we are, especially on the important things. I have never wanted to have children so I'm looking forward to:

- Having the freedom to do what I want when I want
    - A life of travelling to as many places on our list as possible
    - Hopefully having enough disposable income to live comfortably and perhaps retire early
    - Having lots of animals!
    - Maybe getting married at some point, maybe not!
    - Learn the piano
    - Be happy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am married to the man of my dreams and have two wonderful children that I have wanted all of my life - I would like to be a good parent, for my children to be healthy and would love to grow old with my husband (we both have very poor health). I was very ill a few years ago so I know what I want - even being alive and having my childrenand husband is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I want to see more of the world. Have travelled and seen a fairly large chunk of Europe and now I want to go and see Africa, Asia and South America. Need lotsa monies though. :(

I'd love to learn Japanese and live in Japan for a couple of years.

I would LOVE if my brain did enough work for me to get a book published. I have lots of ideas and stories to tell and yet when I sit in front of the blank screen/page my brain just crashes. :( I need a serious dose of inspiration and perseverance.

I want to get married and have a large family. :pac:

I would love to find a career that gives me great joy as well as a nice wage.

I want to learn how to play my guitar properly. And perhaps the piano. And maybe the violin.

I also want to learn how to speak German.

Better get crackin' on these! It's gonna take AAAAAAAGES! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have an overall aim to be able to die knowing I was the best person I could be. I want to know I didn't compromise on my morals or ethics for personal gain. I want to be able to look back and be proud of the life I lived.

It's funny, I'm coming up to a bit of a choice in the near future that could take me down a specific path, and I wanted to really try and figure out what was important to me. So I sat down with a pen and paper and wrote out what I feel I need to be happy in life.

- Make life better for people; not necessarily people I even know.

- Have enough money as a couple to be able to have a nice house, a couple of kids, one family holiday (probably camping) each year and maybe a weekend away with the missus every now and again.

- have a dog. This is crucial. I will know I am settled when I feel comfortable to commit to a dog. For some reason committing to dog ownership feel bigger than kids. You can move country with kids. Not so with dogs, really.

- Own my own social enterprise business. I have an idea, I just need to finalise it.

- Be able to be a stay at home Mum, and indeed to be as good a Mum to my children as mine was for my brothers and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Luckily I have a great partner. We're both quite young, but we have similar ideas on what we want from life which is great - hopefully build a house, have a few kids, live comfortably, generally be happy :)

Career wise I want to be an Educational Psychologist which is a really long career path. With the current situation, it's looking like a few years of volunteer work are ahead of me before I get on to the course which leads to my current, biggest aim - to be independent.

I'm teaching abroad at the moment so I'm pretty much independent now, although my back-up fund does consist of money my parents gave me as a gift before I left along with a few hundred of my own money I haven't gone through yet. When I go home, I'll be living in the family home again and as much as I miss them, I'm dreading losing this independence (this is my first time living away from home) So, as tough as it will be because of the lack of paid work in my area my aim is to live independently in Ireland within the next 2 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I want to be able to look back and be proud of the life I lived.

I think for me this is what it really boils down to. I want to be proud of what I have done and the person that I am. I want to look back on my life and have little/no regrets.

-Work wise: I want to continue to be challenged by my work, I want to feel like I am using my brain and constantly improving myself. I took a leap 3 months ago and moved to Africa for a job, something that 6 months ago I hadn't even considered. But, I'm loving it, I feel like I'm finally enjoying my career and it's renewing my faith in my work.

-Life: like most people have said, I want to be happy. How I will achieve that I am unsure of. All I know is at this moment, I am happy. I like my job, I have a good group of friends, I have just started a relationship that makes me smile all the time. Will this make me happy forever? Who knows but at the moment I am smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

All I want is that when I am on my deathbed, that I am surrounded by people who genuinely love me but who I amn't worried about leaving because I know they'll be ok.

So I guess I want a husband, more kids, to stay as close to my family as I am now, good friends and to be at a place in my life where they are all going to be ok without me. I don't want to be a tragedy or a massive loss that people would struggle to recover from. I want to live a long, contented and happy life with the people I love and who love me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

My aim in life is just to be happy, and to maybe be able to walk in high heels someday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

I want to have a stable job. I want to help my parents. I want to live my life to the fullest.

Advertisement