Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due June 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmacash

Jimar wrote: »
    Hi just wondering did ye tell anybody yet ?? We have some friends coming next weekend . I don't know what excuse Im going to use for not drinking as I'm such a bad lier. Im trying to decide if I should just tell them I will be nearly 8 weeks by then. We haven't told any family yet. Any advice?

Yeah tis tricky to know isn't it. We haven't told our friends but we have told our families, purely for the reason that, god forbid, something should happen we'd need and want their support. I personally don't believe there's a right or wrong answer about whether to tell or not its such a personal matter! I say, if ya really wanna tell them...tell them! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

We've told our families and I've told 2 close friends, mainly cos I was feeling so sick and needed some tlc :-) I've a wedding next weekend though and don't know how I'll manage pretending to drink.

I'd say tell them if they're good friends, but it's a very personal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

Hi guys,
    We decided to tell both our families and our closest friends. We are very close to them and like Emmacash was sayin that should any thing bad happen oor even just if I'm having a rough day its nice to have their support. How's everybody feeling? Any funny symptoms? I've just been very tired and wake really early every morning. Hope yee are all well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

We were away for the weekend staying with friends and we had to tell them - only because we would be eating out together etc and I didn't want to look like I was being a fussy bitch! Also, I'm so exhausted at the moment that I couldn't keep up with a big weekend so felt we should tell them. My advice is, if they're good friends and can be trusted then tell them. It was so much easier with my friends knowing and they really looked after me. I guess it depends how close you are though?

I'm actually really annoyed at my mum about the whole keeping it a secret thing. We told my parents straight away and they promised they wouldn't tell anyone else. My mum told my brother yesterday because "she had to". She keeps having a go at me about not putting anything up on facebook (which I won't do, even later on in the pregnancy). When I told her I had told my best friend the first thing she said was "tell her not to put it on facebook". Eh, my friend can actually keep a secret (not that she would put anything up anytime anyway) - my mum is the one who can't. I just left it because I've no energy for arguing with her but I'm really annoyed. I rang my dad this morning to tell him I'm not happy about my brother being told and can he make sure that he knows not to tell anyone else. My brother probably doesn't realise I want to keep it a secret because I'm terrified of something going wrong!

DoubleB wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    We decided to tell both our families and our closest friends. We are very close to them and like Emmacash was sayin that should any thing bad happen oor even just if I'm having a rough day its nice to have their support. How's everybody feeling? Any funny symptoms? I've just been very tired and wake really early every morning. Hope yee are all well.

I'm really tired too which is the main symptom I'm noticing. There's a bit in "what to expect when you're expecting" that says your partner should be doing more than half of the housework at the moment so I showed my husband - ha! :D

Glad you are feeling well and congrats! I'm a bit worried I've not really been sick yet (just a bit of nausea). I know being ill sucks but I think I'd feel like I know everything is ok then, does that sound mad?

Still, I'm only 6 weeks today and the books say it usually only kicks in about now.

Is anyone else feeling really weepy? I'm finding myself getting really easily and upset at work. Like getting teary on the phone and everything. I have my own office, thank god but it's still really embarassing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Isn't it mad how you really want symptoms to appear no matter how uncomfortable they are? I'm the same as you murdy wurdy, I'd love a bit of nausea or sickness just to know it's all working as it should. It's ridiculous! Remind me I said that if I come back in a few weeks on the pregnant woman's moan thread :D
    The only symptoms I have are tender boobs, occasional heartburn, occasional lower back pain, hungry a lot more. No tiredness and everyone keeps asking if I have it yet so feel like I should be! I guess everyone's different. You can't read into it too much but it's hard not to :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Isn't it mad how you really want symptoms to appear no matter how uncomfortable they are? I'm the same as you murdy wurdy, I'd love a bit of nausea or sickness just to know it's all working as it should. It's ridiculous! Remind me I said that if I come back in a few weeks on the pregnant woman's moan thread :D
    The only symptoms I have are tender boobs, occasional heartburn, occasional lower back pain, hungry a lot more. No tiredness and everyone keeps asking if I have it yet so feel like I should be! I guess everyone's different. You can't read into it too much but it's hard not to :)

I agree - it's hard not to worry but we're all different and will have different symptoms! My mum is expecting me to be violently ill so calls every day to check, she's thinking I might get away with it but I'm not so sure. Ask me in a week or two and I'll probably be regretting saying it too!

The tender boobs are a killer though, aren't they? My cat keeps running over them while I'm lying in bed and it's agony! You're lucky not to have the tiredness - I'm finding it difficult to think of anything but my bed today and I've a really busy week of work ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Oh god the cat! It's like she targets my boobs or something! Also people keep asking if I'm gonna get rid of her...eh no!! As if!

kandr10 wrote: »
    Oh god the cat! It's like she targets my boobs or something! Also people keep asking if I'm gonna get rid of her...eh no!! As if!

I know - they must like the squishiness or something!

Totally agree with you on the cat. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him. He'll always be my first baby! In my head, him and the baby are already partners in crime as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 JustPassinThru

Hi all!

I found out at the weekend that I am almost 3 weeks pregnant...officially I suppose i am almost 5 weeks! I am really excited - but very nervous too. I got pregnant around this time last year and ended up having a miscarriage...so any slight pain has me almost running to the bathroom to check!! In the last week or so my breasts have become incredibly sore so I am also using that to discreetly check (well, I hope it is discreet!). One strange 'symptom' that I am hoping is related is that I can no longer hold it when I need to pee...I just have to go!

As I said, I am really happy and excited - and, although it is early, I sort of want to tell one of my friends as she was there for me when I had my miscarriage last year and, if anything goes wrong I will probably tell her anyway. Dinner with the in-laws usually involves one of us having wine and the other driving, so I think that they will notice sooner rather than later that I am always the one driving now...but I think it is far too early to let them know. I think maybe I want to tell my friend for the excitement of sharing it because we are both too wary to enjoy it at the moment!!

• Advertisement

Hi all!

I found out at the weekend that I am almost 3 weeks pregnant...officially I suppose i am almost 5 weeks! I am really excited - but very nervous too. I got pregnant around this time last year and ended up having a miscarriage...so any slight pain has me almost running to the bathroom to check!! In the last week or so my breasts have become incredibly sore so I am also using that to discreetly check (well, I hope it is discreet!). One strange 'symptom' that I am hoping is related is that I can no longer hold it when I need to pee...I just have to go!

As I said, I am really happy and excited - and, although it is early, I sort of want to tell one of my friends as she was there for me when I had my miscarriage last year and, if anything goes wrong I will probably tell her anyway. Dinner with the in-laws usually involves one of us having wine and the other driving, so I think that they will notice sooner rather than later that I am always the one driving now...but I think it is far too early to let them know. I think maybe I want to tell my friend for the excitement of sharing it because we are both too wary to enjoy it at the moment!!

Congratulations!!! It's understandable that you're trying not to get too excited but it is great news for you both :) If you want to tell your friend, I say go for it! I told my two best friends because like you said, if something goes wrong I would tell them anyway because I think I'd need the extra support.

Are you going to wait until 12/13 weeks to tell your in-laws? My parents knew straight away but we're not telling his dad until I have the first scan - he's not to be trusted with secrets!

Thanks MurdyWurdy....it is great news and I think I will tell my friend. Will be nice to share it with someone! :)

I think we will wait to tell others until 12/13 weeks - the in-laws will probably guess before then, but they won't say anything until we tell them! Would love to tell them...and my own family...but if anything went wrong it would upset them too much. It will be the in-laws first grandchild so I don't want to get them too excited!

Thanks MurdyWurdy....it is great news and I think I will tell my friend. Will be nice to share it with someone! :)

I think we will wait to tell others until 12/13 weeks - the in-laws will probably guess before then, but they won't say anything until we tell them! Would love to tell them...and my own family...but if anything went wrong it would upset them too much. It will be the in-laws first grandchild so I don't want to get them too excited!

I think some people know with me already too but wouldn't say anything either. It's your news so up to you when you feel comfortable telling people. I was a bit worried about outright lying to people about things but I'm trying to remember that they'll understand why I didn't want to tell them.

Have you been to the GP/booked in with a hospital etc yet? what's your due date?

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I think some people know with me already too but wouldn't say anything either. It's your news so up to you when you feel comfortable telling people. I was a bit worried about outright lying to people about things but I'm trying to remember that they'll understand why I didn't want to tell them.

Have you been to the GP/booked in with a hospital etc yet? what's your due date?

Haven't been to GP yet but will have to soon as when I was at the hospital last year they told me I would have to go for an early scan if got pregnant again. I am not sure about the doctor I have at the moment so may look for a new one!

Like you I am worried about lying to people but I think that they won't mind once they find out!

I would be due June 26th next year...what about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 babyonboard

Hi everyone.
    I hope ye don't mind me joining ye! Im 8+5 wks pregnant and this is our first baby. We're both very excited but im also very scared. The thought of labour scares me to death!!!!
    When i went to see my gp she said going by the first day of my last period my due date is the 27th of May. I couldn't remember exactly the date of my period so i might be out by few days so I've a feeling i actually won't b due till d start of June.
    I got a letter for my hospital appointment for the 14th Nov. Ill be 12 wks then. Does anyone know if i will have a scan this day? I rang my gp to ask her and she said i probably won't. They'll prob do bloods etc and give me another appoint for scan. Was really hoping id have a scan that day :(
    How are ye all finding it so far? I felt really good up until about d 6 wk Mark. After that i started to feel extremely tired and then the nausea kicked in. I have it all day long so im finding that very tough. Kinda wishing the wks away at the moment.
    We haven't told anybody yet so its our little secret for now. I've been finding it hard to hide how sick im feeling though so the hopes of keeping it our secret until wk 12 is looking kinda slim.
    I hope everyone is feeling good. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Hi everyone.
    I hope ye don't mind me joining ye! Im 8+5 wks pregnant and this is our first baby. We're both very excited but im also very scared. The thought of labour scares me to death!!!!
    When i went to see my gp she said going by the first day of my last period my due date is the 27th of May. I couldn't remember exactly the date of my period so i might be out by few days so I've a feeling i actually won't b due till d start of June.
    I got a letter for my hospital appointment for the 14th Nov. Ill be 12 wks then. Does anyone know if i will have a scan this day? I rang my gp to ask her and she said i probably won't. They'll prob do bloods etc and give me another appoint for scan. Was really hoping id have a scan that day :(
    How are ye all finding it so far? I felt really good up until about d 6 wk Mark. After that i started to feel extremely tired and then the nausea kicked in. I have it all day long so im finding that very tough. Kinda wishing the wks away at the moment.
    We haven't told anybody yet so its our little secret for now. I've been finding it hard to hide how sick im feeling though so the hopes of keeping it our secret until wk 12 is looking kinda slim.
    I hope everyone is feeling good. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all of us :)

Congrats babyonboard,
    I got my date for my scan with my appointment for bloods, I'll be having my bloods done on the 12th of November and scan is the following Friday, Where are you attending?

I would be due June 26th next year...what about you?

I'm due 18th June - exciting! It's good to know everyone's due dates so we can see waht stage everyone is at :)

Congratulations babyonboard! I have my 12 week appointment beginning of December and was told I would have have a scan then (but only a quick non-fancy one to check everything was ok). Then I have a 20 week scan booked for beginning of Feb. I'm going public with Holles Street. I've seen some other threads that say you don't get a scan in Holles St until like 25 weeks but that's not what I was told by the booking lady!

Anyway, I just booked in for a private early pregnancy scan. I read about it on another thread here and just had to go for it. At the moment I'm not convinced I'm pregnant (despite the sore boobs and exhaustion!) so both myself and hubby are keen to get some kind of reassurance that everything is ok. Going in in just over 2 weeks so I'll be almost 9 weeks getting the scan. It costs €99 which for us is totally worth it!

Hi lainycool and murdywurdy!
    Ill be attending limerick maternity hospital and im going public. The letter from the hospital basically just said my appoint is the 14th of Nov. It didn't say a whole pile else. It said for me to bring a urine sample with me. It listed a number for me to ring if i could not make the appointment. Thats really all it said.Do you normally need to be fasting when getting bloods done? Cause it doesn't say anything about fasting ...Im completely clueless!
    I was thinking of trying to ring the hospital to find out what will be happening at that appointment. I thought my gp would be able to tell me but i only spoke to the receptionist and she kind of wasn't sure. She said i probably won't be having a scan.
    The waiting game is very hard isn't it. Even if i do happen to have a scan at that appointment....its still over 3 wks away. Ive no patience!

Hi lainycool and murdywurdy!
    Ill be attending limerick maternity hospital and im going public. The letter from the hospital basically just said my appoint is the 14th of Nov. It didn't say a whole pile else. It said for me to bring a urine sample with me. It listed a number for me to ring if i could not make the appointment. Thats really all it said.Do you normally need to be fasting when getting bloods done? Cause it doesn't say anything about fasting ...Im completely clueless!
    I was thinking of trying to ring the hospital to find out what will be happening at that appointment. I thought my gp would be able to tell me but i only spoke to the receptionist and she kind of wasn't sure. She said i probably won't be having a scan.
    The waiting game is very hard isn't it. Even if i do happen to have a scan at that appointment....its still over 3 wks away. Ive no patience!

Yeah, the waiting game is so hard! I've no patience either. AT ALL!!
    I reckon give them a call and ask what you need to, they'll be used to it. Better to be prepared then get there and them not to be able to do blood tests etc

I've just looked at the Holles Street info as to what to expect on your first appointment and it says you get your routine scan at 18 - 22 weeks but nothing about a 12 week scan. The woman on the phone told me that you did get something at 12 weeks so I'm confised. I'm going to call tomorrow and see now. Really glad I booked a private one! If my first scan with Holles street is not until 20 weeks I'm definitely going to book another private scan at like 13/14 weeks.

Ya i think you're right, im probably as well off ring them and just ask them what will be happening at the appointment. God id be so happy if they said id be having a scan....that'd mean id have 3 wks to wait.....i suppose Thats manageable! If they tell me i wont be having a scan till about 18 wks then there's no way i can wait that long. I'll have to look into getting a private scan done if Thats the case.
    Ive a wedding next wknd and im kinda dreading it cause ill have to try and pretend im drinking.the whole im on antibiotics routine won't wash with my lot....they'd know straight away if i came out with that one. So thinking the best way round it is to actually try and pretend im drinking. Thats gonna be hard though. Plus im all worn out and tucked up in bed lately by 9pm. How am i gonna get away with leaving the wedding early if im just too tired..... To my shame id normally have been the first in line for the residents bar sing song so me finishing up early is gonna be A dead giveaway. And im a really crap liar too. I go all red and make it so obvious im lying :O
    Roll on the 12 wk mark so we can tell our family and friends eh!!

• Advertisement

Ya i think you're right, im probably as well off ring them and just ask them what will be happening at the appointment. God id be so happy if they said id be having a scan....that'd mean id have 3 wks to wait.....i suppose Thats manageable! If they tell me i wont be having a scan till about 18 wks then there's no way i can wait that long. I'll have to look into getting a private scan done if Thats the case.
    Ive a wedding next wknd and im kinda dreading it cause ill have to try and pretend im drinking.the whole im on antibiotics routine won't wash with my lot....they'd know straight away if i came out with that one. So thinking the best way round it is to actually try and pretend im drinking. Thats gonna be hard though. Plus im all worn out and tucked up in bed lately by 9pm. How am i gonna get away with leaving the wedding early if im just too tired..... To my shame id normally have been the first in line for the residents bar sing song so me finishing up early is gonna be A dead giveaway. And im a really crap liar too. I go all red and make it so obvious im lying :O

It's so hard, I agree! I told friends recently that I'd been ill so couldn't drink, had to rest a lot and had a low immune system so had to be careful with what I ate. I'm pretty sure they know exactly what's up but (most) people are too polite to say anything! One was asking me loads of questions about if I'd been to the GP and had tests and things and I said yes and that I was on the mend - which is technically not a lie!

Can you drink orange juice and pretend there's something in it? A friend of a friend went to a house party when she was early in her pregnancy and to cover it up she brought non-alcoholic wine and made sure she hid the bottle and only drank from that!

This is why I had to tell my friends as they would know straight away if I wasn't drinking.....That looks really bad lol,
    I think its becks that sell non alcoholic beer so you could just put it into a glass and nobody would know!
    I really thought I was getting away with morning sickness but ever since last Saturday I've been feeling so sick, Im hoping it's not going to be like this for 5 more weeks although its all worth it!

Oh i like the line of the immune system being low.... I might steal that one! :)
    Ya i could probably get away with the whole "oh I'm drinking vodka and orange juice" and just drink oj but they all know id never start off drinking vodka. So i was thinkin of gettin hubby to buy me a bottle of beer and id pretend im sipping away on the bottle and ill discreetly try get hubby to actually drink it. He thinks im really over thinking it and im gonna completely mess it up and he is probably right. my sister has been hounding me for months about are we gonna try for a baby. I kept fobbing her off but i think she's onto me. She has a heart of gold but i really don't want her to suss it cause she has a tendency to not keep secrets. If i could get this wedding out of the way with my pregnancy undetected....I'll be very happy! So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Sorry to butt in- I was snooping! I'm having my baby in limerick as well! You do have a scan at the booking in appointment. I brought my OH for support and he loved the scan! If you have a morning appointment get there early, like a half hour or 40 minutes early because you will be first, if not you will be waiting for hours! So you will check in, then you get called for a consultation with mid wife. Then scan, then small clinic where they give you your packet, test your urine, take blood pressure etc. Then you get your bloods done and then you return your paperwork to the desk you check In at and they give you your next maternity appointment and date for your 31 week scan. The order of events may switch up some but that's what is done the first appointment! I got there super early, was done in an hour and a half- thank god cause it was slammed busy when I left. Standing room only!

Hope this helps! Congrats to the new June mammies!

Hi rachineire,
    Thank you so much for that info. Its really helpful. Aw it'll be so great that ill be having a scan. Im delighted now! Hubby is coming with me, we both have the day booked off work. I cant wait now. Im nervous about it but excited too. Do you have to be fasting for getting the blood tests done? It said nothing on the letter i got. The only thing it said to do was to bring a urine sample. It also said not to arrive early!! Haha! What time do the appointments start at? Mines for 10.30am. I can't believe the next scan after that is at 31 wks! Omg. I always thought there was a 20 wk scan??

Hi Babyonboard

I don't think you have to fast as you usually only have to fast when getting cholesterol bloods done! I think in the coombe they do a 20 week scan and that's it as far as I know, Wow that's a long time from week 12 to 31 without a scan, If you really wanted to see babs inbetween they do the private scans for €99!

Yeah, 31 weeks seems like ages to wait between scans! I'm surprised at the lack of scans from the hospital (from what I've heard anyway). At least we have the option to pay for another one if you feel you need it. Thank god for that!

I'm a huge worrier - I was talking to my mum alst night and she couldn't understand why I was so cautious about the pregnancy and so conscious that something could go wrong. I just think in her day people didn't talk about things going wrong much, they weren't as open about it and there wasn't the internet so maybe people weren't as aware of it.

I'm going shopping this weekened for some new bras - my boobs are so big, all my clothes are strained across them! I'm a bit worried because I started off as a DD and I'm quite petite - apparently I'm likely to end up as a G cup! I think I'll just get maternity bras, even though it's early days. No point buying bigger bras and then never using them again as I go into maternity ones. I also need to get bras to sleep in so my boobs don't end up around my waist. Anyone else having to up their bra size?

I'm the same MurdyWurdy I keep thinking something is going to go wrong so I actually gave out to myself yesterday and said I need to be more positive and everything will be alright, If people only saw me chatting away to myself lol

I think the internet is sometimes bad because you can look up anything in seconds anytime I get what I think is an odd symptom and I'm googling it, It's a habit that I need to get out of and actually just enjoy my pregnancy!

Please god we will feel more at ease when we hit 12 weeks

lainycool wrote: »
    I'm the same MurdyWurdy I keep thinking something is going to go wrong so I actually gave out to myself yesterday and said I need to be more positive and everything will be alright, If people only saw me chatting away to myself lol

I think the internet is sometimes bad because you can look up anything in seconds anytime I get what I think is an odd symptom and I'm googling it, It's a habit that I need to get out of and actually just enjoy my pregnancy!

Please god we will feel more at ease when we hit 12 weeks

Yep - fingers crossed. :) I'm dying for my 12 week appointment and to be able to tell everyone! I'm trying to be more positive too but because I don't feel too bad or ill it makes me think why aren't you more ill or puking your guts up? I know if I was really ill I'd be worried I was too ill as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Hi rachineire,
    Thank you so much for that info. Its really helpful. Aw it'll be so great that ill be having a scan. Im delighted now! Hubby is coming with me, we both have the day booked off work. I cant wait now. Im nervous about it but excited too. Do you have to be fasting for getting the blood tests done? It said nothing on the letter i got. The only thing it said to do was to bring a urine sample. It also said not to arrive early!! Haha! What time do the appointments start at? Mines for 10.30am. I can't believe the next scan after that is at 31 wks! Omg. I always thought there was a 20 wk scan??
    Each hospital has their own policies concerning scans- limerick feels the 20 week one isn't necessary which I don't like! We went and paid for a 3d ultrasound which was worth every cent!
    No you don't need to fast for this blood test, you would if it was for the gestational diabetes one. Also do your first urine of the day for the urine sample (I always found it so gross having to bring that in haha!)
    And all those letters say don't come in early- I say boo to that! Although for a 10:30 appointment I would only come in about 15-20 minutes early as it will be crowded in there but you will still be able to book in before the other ladies scheduled for half 10! Bring a book! (And tissues, I bawled after seeing baby on the scan for the first time haha!)

Also block Google from your computers for the first 12 weeks, you'll drive yourself demented!! I know I did, googling every symptom or twinge :p

Advertisement